Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget with other apps

Hi all,
I love the gadget, but i wish we could use it with other stuff. Does anybody have any workaround for the gadget not getting midi out? Any way to work around that? The gadget has an excellent midi editor and sequencer. Shame there's no midi out.

R

Comments

• You can export MIDI files but no out. I think the reason is that Korg wants you to buy more Gadgets from them.

• just use LINK and sync it up to another app. Blocs Wave is great to use with Gadget. Also had success using Loopy. Anything with Link would work

• edited August 2016

My 'workaround' is to export/record the tracks I need from Gadget and import them in to Cubasis.
    Sure not the optimal way to work but as long as Gadget doesn't have Audio-Tracks or Midi-Out it's the only way.

Another way would be to add everything into AUM and use apps like ModStep to sequence the midi-apps and record output from them into AUM as well...

• See if anything I find the sequencer in Gadget to be its weak point. Well not so much the sequencer, but the arranger. I'm not big into scenes and patterns. I want lanes and MIDI clips. So I've been working with Cubasis as my MIDI arranger triggering Gadget using advanced MIDI mode. And for the most part it's pretty good. It's mildly annoying having to switch between two apps, and it sucks that track freezes and mixdowns don't work. Also the timing is a bit shoddy. No idea why. But it's still pretty decent!

• @chimp_spanner said:
    See if anything I find the sequencer in Gadget to be its weak point. Well not so much the sequencer, but the arranger. I'm not big into scenes and patterns. I want lanes and MIDI clips. So I've been working with Cubasis as my MIDI arranger triggering Gadget using advanced MIDI mode. And for the most part it's pretty good. It's mildly annoying having to switch between two apps, and it sucks that track freezes and mixdowns don't work. Also the timing is a bit shoddy. No idea why. But it's still pretty decent!

Please explain what you mean by triggering Gadget using advanced midi mode. I've used a single gadget to play midi in Modstep. But are you triggering sequences in Gadget from Cubasis?

• I've had a surprisingly good time driving Gadget using ModStep. Load up ModStep and Gadget in AudioBus or AUM. Turn on advanced MIDI mode in Gadget, set up each gadget to listen to ModStep on a separate channel. Then set up tracks in ModStep, pointing to the channels. (You can set up Gadget with IAA in ModStep but I prefer not to load it in ModStep at all).

I was surprised that I was happy with this workflow, since I like Gadget's piano roll editing better. But ModStep's clip launching flexibility is nice. ModStep has templates for all the Gadgets too. And, there is no stopping you adding other apps into the equation. AudioBus gives you the sidebar for easy switching too.

• @wim said:

I was surprised that I was happy with this workflow, since I like Gadget's piano roll editing better. But ModStep's clip launching flexibility is nice. ModStep has templates for all the Gadgets too. And, there is no stopping you adding other apps into the equation. AudioBus gives you the sidebar for easy switching too.

This is what I don't know how to do. So you've sequenced, say, Helsinki and Tokyo in Gadget, and you can trigger them in Modstep??
    I have not figured out how to trigger, say, a four-bar loop in Patterning from within Modstep. I've just been letting Patterning and Elastic and Seekbeats run in the background alongside Modstep (in a kind of drum-circle cacophony) and sending all the outs into a DAW, where I'll later mute and unmute the drum tracks into a comp track.

But you're saying I can trigger different drum machines to start and stop from within Modstep? Do I have to (gulp) use templates or understand CCs?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@chimp_spanner said:
    See if anything I find the sequencer in Gadget to be its weak point. Well not so much the sequencer, but the arranger. I'm not big into scenes and patterns. I want lanes and MIDI clips. So I've been working with Cubasis as my MIDI arranger triggering Gadget using advanced MIDI mode. And for the most part it's pretty good. It's mildly annoying having to switch between two apps, and it sucks that track freezes and mixdowns don't work. Also the timing is a bit shoddy. No idea why. But it's still pretty decent!

Please explain what you mean by triggering Gadget using advanced midi mode. I've used a single gadget to play midi in Modstep. But are you triggering sequences in Gadget from Cubasis?

Yeah that's right, so each gadget resides on its own MIDI channel and then I just do all my sequencing and arranging in Cubasis. It's waaay faster, for me anyway!

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:

@wim said:

This is what I don't know how to do. So you've sequenced, say, Helsinki and Tokyo in Gadget, and you can trigger them in Modstep??

No. That is impossible. Gadget won't do it.
    What I mean is you can set up the sequence in ModStep and have it play in Gadget.

I have not figured out how to trigger, say, a four-bar loop in Patterning from within Modstep.

To do this, you would first go into ModStep and set up a track to MIDI-out to Patterning. Next go to the Song tab in Patterning and click MIDI Learn, then click the + sign on the pattern you want to trigger. Then go to ModStep and play whatever note or pad that you want to be the trigger for that pattern. Back in Patterning you should see the Plus sign stop flashing and see a note number under it. Repeat for each pattern. Then click MIDI learn again to turn it off and save the settings. Lastly, go to the pattern page and click MIDI Learn to assign a trigger to the play button at the center.

Now, you have mappings to trigger patterns, and one to toggle start and stop. Place those notes in a pattern in ModStep at the points where you want them to trigger patterns (and start/stop Patterning)

But you're saying I can trigger different drum machines to start and stop from within Modstep? Do I have to (gulp) use templates or understand CCs?

I've only described how to trigger patterns in Patterning from ModStep. You don't need to know anything about CCs. All you need to do ahead of time is figure out what notes or pads you want to use to trigger the patterns and to toggle play on/off in Patterning.

As for Gadget, you can't trigger patterns or scenes via MIDI. But using the Advanced MIDI option, you can play notes and modify parameters in the various Gadgets from ModStep. I haven't tried to describe that here.

• The closest i have come to the 'midi out of gadget' feel is to pipe the audio to Thumbjam and use the note detection feature to trigger notes. It is actualy pretty damn sweet.

• @AudioGus said:
    The closest i have come to the 'midi out of gadget' feel is to pipe the audio to Thumbjam and use the note detection feature to trigger notes. It is actualy pretty damn sweet.

Nice tip.
    Thanks!

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@wim said:

I have not figured out how to trigger, say, a four-bar loop in Patterning from within Modstep.

To do this, you would first go into ModStep and set up a track to MIDI-out to Patterning. Next go to the Song tab in Patterning and click MIDI Learn, then click the + sign on the pattern you want to trigger. Then go to ModStep and play whatever note or pad that you want to be the trigger for that pattern. Back in Patterning you should see the Plus sign stop flashing and see a note number under it. Repeat for each pattern. Then click MIDI learn again to turn it off and save the settings. Lastly, go to the pattern page and click MIDI Learn to assign a trigger to the play button at the center.

Now, you have mappings to trigger patterns, and one to toggle start and stop. Place those notes in a pattern in ModStep at the points where you want them to trigger patterns (and start/stop Patterning)

This is the greatest thing ever. At least today it is. I'm not 100% sure exactly how to use this newfound power. (I know that I want to use it for good and not evil.)

Let me make sure I have this straight. Let's say I have assigned C3 to the basic verse loop in patterning. I have assigned C#3 to toggle on and off play. So to start the song I basically have an empty scene with C# to toggle on the drum machine. Then I can start the song proper with just a C in the next scene. Fantastic. Is the process similar for elastic drums do you know? I tried to follow these directions, but ED kept flashing the message "send note/cc"

Thank you so so much.

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This is the greatest thing ever. At least today it is. I'm not 100% sure exactly how to use this newfound power. (I know that I want to use it for good and not evil.)

Use your feelings Luke. Beware the dark side.

Let me make sure I have this straight. Let's say I have assigned C3 to the basic verse loop in patterning. I have assigned C#3 to toggle on and off play. So to start the song I basically have an empty scene with C# to toggle on the drum machine. Then I can start the song proper with just a C in the next scene. Fantastic.

Yep.

Is the process similar for elastic drums do you know? I tried to follow these directions, but ED kept flashing the message "send note/cc"

Similar. If ED kept flashing the message then it means that no MIDI was getting there. You need to go back and check the settings. Make sure that MIDI out to ElasticDrums is enabled, that No Port/IAA has Notes selected in ED if you're hosting ED in ModStep. Make sure the channel numbers match.

One difference you've probably already seen is you can only directly select 4 patterns in ED. However, you can step through the patterns with the next and previous buttons to be able to select all patterns.

ED's default mappings for the patterns are C0, C#0, D0, and D#0. Next is E0, Previous is F0. Play/stop is C7.

• This is very promising. But does this issue sound familiar? I enter the C7 into a clip in Modstep. Tap to start the clip. The Elastic Drums track begins. But then I can't figure out how to toggle it off. C7 won't do it.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    This is very promising. But does this issue sound familiar? I enter the C7 into a clip in Modstep. Tap to start the clip. The Elastic Drums track begins. But then I can't figure out how to toggle it off. C7 won't do it.

Works for me. I don't know why it doesn't for you.
    Make sure you set the pattern that contains the C7 note to only loop once or you'll be continually toggling on and off.

• I think I figured out the problem. ED when toggled on waits for the next bar before starting,so I was...I don't know what I did, really. But I've given some air between the notes to trigger the pattern, and it seems to be working nicely. But it takes a lot of foresight to toggle on, wait for one bar...

So I'm getting close to ... Something.
    Bonus question. Let's say I had this setup with Modstep triggering Patterning, just as Wim has perfectly instructed above. Does it change the settings in Modstep if Patterning is driving Ruismaker?

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I think I figured out the problem. ED when toggled on waits for the next bar before starting,so I was...I don't know what I did, really. But I've given some air between the notes to trigger the pattern, and it seems to be working nicely. But it takes a lot of foresight to toggle on, wait for one bar...

You might be able to stop that by disabling link in ED. I'm not sure.

So I'm getting close to ... Something.
    Bonus question. Let's say I had this setup with Modstep triggering Patterning, just as Wim has perfectly instructed above. Does it change the settings in Modstep if Patterning is driving Ruismaker?

It shouldn't. ModStep doesn't even know what Patterning is doing. It just sends notes and Cc's there. What happens after that is up to Patterning.

Kinda like when we pay taxes.

• edited August 2016

@wim said:
    I've had a surprisingly good time driving Gadget using ModStep. Load up ModStep and Gadget in AudioBus or AUM. Turn on advanced MIDI mode in Gadget, set up each gadget to listen to ModStep on a separate channel. Then set up tracks in ModStep, pointing to the channels. (You can set up Gadget with IAA in ModStep but I prefer not to load it in ModStep at all).

I do the same with perfect satisfaction. Modstep is great as MIDI driver, and quite dependable, as long as you do not load IAA into it.
    But are the information @wim gave about to use Patterning I found astounding. At a second look, it is MIDI standard savvyness, but beautifully put on

• Steppolyarp is now essential in my gadget workflow, so easy to setup with link now !

• @pierre said:
    Steppolyarp is now essential in my gadget workflow, so easy to setup with link now !

Please elaborate! I love the idea of SPA, but I haven't figured out how to coax it out of its sandbox.

• Two words: Fugue Machine.