Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT Korg NanoKEY Studio and Mac OSX Bluetooth midi connect problem

I recently bought the excellent Korg NanoKEY Studio and it works great on my iPad Pro and my excellent Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.

The problem I have is with my MacBook Pro (2012 model) running Mac OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan. I downloaded the Bluetooth Midi Connect app from the Mac App Store. I then switched my NanoKEY Studio to Bluetooth and opened the Bluetooth Midi Connect app. When I open the app a message appears "Found Bluetooth Midi device - NanoKEY studio" I then open Bluetooth configuration on the app and I see my NanoKEY listed in the devices. I try to connect and it is connecting but nothing happens it goes back to telling me to connect. I then go into OSX settings and select Bluetooth but even though my NanoKEY is listed in the Bluetooth Midi Connect app it isn't listed in the main OSX Bluetooth available devices list which is very strange. I also tried connecting with my new MacBook Pro retina (2015 model) and the same problem happens there.

Please advise.

Comments

• edited August 2016

Have you tried to connect thru audio/midi setup menu?

• edited August 2016

Yes, I have tried connecting through audio/midi setup menu but I get the same problem. On The audio/midi setup menu, the Bluetooth Midi Connect app sees and lists my NanoKEY Studio as a found device but when I try to connect nothing happens. Does my NanoKEY need to be listed in the main OSX Bluetooth configuration too for to pair before I can connect?

• I'll check after work today.

• edited August 2016

Ok, that would be great if you could check.

I have updated my NanoKEY Studio to the latest 1.06 update but I am still getting the same problem.

• edited August 2016

I have managed to fix this myself and have my NanoKEY Studio working via Bluetooth midi on my MacBook Pro.

What I did was delete and trash the stupid Bluetooth MIdi Connect App that I downloaded from the Mac App Store and now everything works a charm. :)

One word of warning is do not download the crappy Bluetooth midi app from the Mac App Store as it doesn't work.

• @Artmuzz I'm thinking of getting this midi controller. I'm not a musician but was thinking of getting something that's kind of an all-in-one contoller with pads knobs & some keys. I watched some demos and like what I see, especially that it's Bluetooth.

Curious though, I'm assuming this would work for any of my apps that are midi-controllable, but all of the demos only show this working with Korg Gadget. I don't have Gadget and don't think it's something I'm interested in, but will this work fine with everything else? And, how do you like it?

I'm more of a novice and don't want to spend too much. This is about the upper end of what I wanted to spend and appears to have fairly good reviews so far.

• edited August 2016

@skiphunt The NanoKEY studio is a good compact portable controller for Mac, PC, Surface Pro, iPad, iPhone and is worth the money. However, I would of preferred if Korg used real piano style keys but still it's a good little controller with good pads for chord sounds and drums/percussion. The device works for other apps on iOS that support Bluetooth midi.

If using on a Mac do not download and install the Bluetooth midi app from the Mac App Store that Korg recommend because it doesn't work for Mac. To get it working with Mac just open the Audio/midi settings in the utility folder on OSX and select Bluetooth midi from there and it will work. I wish I knew that from the beginning but now I have it working after deleting that app.

• @Artmuzz said:
    I have managed to fix this myself and have my NanoKEY Studio working via Bluetooth midi on my MacBook Pro.

What I did was delete and trash the stupid Bluetooth MIdi Connect App that I downloaded from the Mac App Store and now everything works a charm. :)

One word of warning is do not download the crappy Bluetooth midi app from the Mac App Store as it doesn't work.

Glad to hear you got it working.

• @skiphunt I just have one definitive piece of advice: Go to a music store and try one out before buying. You don't really have to use it hooked up to anything, but you really should peck at the keys, and especially compare to other more traditionally keyed controllers. There just isn't any way to tell if you're gonna like it unless you do.

That said, I have one and like it a lot (now). At first I wasn't crazy about it, having only ever used regular keys before. I didn't like the feel and the layout. But it grew on me quickly, and I kinda think I prefer it now to regular keys. I can move faster and easier, and I find myself playing licks that I wouldn't normally be capable of pretty naturally on it.

I'm not as sure about the Kaoss pad thing. I thought the flexibility of an xypad would be an advantage over a pitch bend and mod wheel. I don't think I dig it so much though. I have to make a conscious effort to only swipe vertically to for mod-wheel to avoid affecting the pitch, and vice-versa. I'll probably drag out the PC to modify the setup so that it does one or the other, not both. It has this other mode where it triggers notes of a scale based on where you touch it. I just get garbage whenever I try to go that route, so it's no good to me there. The last thing I don't like is having no iOS app for configuring it. I just hate dragging out the damn PC any more, but that's just me.

Oh, no wait, there's another thing that I really, really don't like about it. There's no knob or button to change the MIDI channel on the fly. You can only make use of the 6 pre-sets, which you would have to set up each for a different channel. That bugs the crap out of me since it seems like such a basic thing to have in a controller. But hasn't really affected me all that much on a practical level.

All in all I'm glad I have it since the Bluetooth is a great thing to have. Not having to plug up a bunch of cables is great. The NanoKey has provided a great creativity boost. But then, I also use Gadget a lot, and its tight integration is really nice. That said, it works just like any other controller with other software. Not the best controller, but one of the most convenient.

• edited August 2016

@skiphunt I forgot to mention that even though the NanoKEY studio comes with free software including Ultr Analog session, Reason Limited, the UVI sensations and a $50 off discount on the full Ableton Live.

• @Artmuzz said:
    @skiphunt I forgot to mention that even though the NanoKEY studio comes with free software including Ultr Analog session, Reason Limited, the UVI sensations and a $50 off discount on the full Ableton Live.

Thanks. I use Logic Pro X, so the Ableton coupon won't likely get used. The iOS software that comes with it is already free LE versions anyway. Are those other packages of any value to a mac user?

• @wim said:
    @skiphunt I just have one definitive piece of advice: Go to a music store and try one out before buying. You don't really have to use it hooked up to anything, but you really should peck at the keys, and especially compare to other more traditionally keyed controllers. There just isn't any way to tell if you're gonna like it unless you do.

That said, I have one and like it a lot (now). At first I wasn't crazy about it, having only ever used regular keys before. I didn't like the feel and the layout. But it grew on me quickly, and I kinda think I prefer it now to regular keys. I can move faster and easier, and I find myself playing licks that I wouldn't normally be capable of pretty naturally on it.

I'm not as sure about the Kaoss pad thing. I thought the flexibility of an xypad would be an advantage over a pitch bend and mod wheel. I don't think I dig it so much though. I have to make a conscious effort to only swipe vertically to for mod-wheel to avoid affecting the pitch, and vice-versa. I'll probably drag out the PC to modify the setup so that it does one or the other, not both. It has this other mode where it triggers notes of a scale based on where you touch it. I just get garbage whenever I try to go that route, so it's no good to me there. The last thing I don't like is having no iOS app for configuring it. I just hate dragging out the damn PC any more, but that's just me.

Oh, no wait, there's another thing that I really, really don't like about it. There's no knob or button to change the MIDI channel on the fly. You can only make use of the 6 pre-sets, which you would have to set up each for a different channel. That bugs the crap out of me since it seems like such a basic thing to have in a controller. But hasn't really affected me all that much on a practical level.

All in all I'm glad I have it since the Bluetooth is a great thing to have. Not having to plug up a bunch of cables is great. The NanoKey has provided a great creativity boost. But then, I also use Gadget a lot, and its tight integration is really nice. That said, it works just like any other controller with other software. Not the best controller, but one of the most convenient.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think I'm going for it. I've never even had a keyboard before, so it's not like I have to acclimate to the smaller size or anything. I likely should just get a controller with a bunch of knobs, but I'd like to at least have the option for keys. And, the bluetooth is very attractive to me. Not much else with as much variety at the Korg, small and bluetooth. Watched a couple videos and it looks reasonably well built.

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@skiphunt Hope you like it. Might wanna get at least 4 rechargeable AAA batteries and a charger. It will be be worth it. It only takes two batteries, but gives very little warning when they go, so you want to have a couple extras on-hand while the others charge up.

• @wim said:
    @skiphunt Hope you like it. Might wanna get at least 4 rechargeable AAA batteries and a charger. It will be be worth it. It only takes two batteries, but gives very little warning when they go, so you want to have a couple extras on-hand while the others charge up.

Got it covered. Stocked up on great rechargeable AAAs before I went to Mexico because my headlamp uses them. Got more than I need frankly. Good to know they'll come in handy. :)

I'm really looking forward to this. Another user suggested I should have just gone straight for a full-size keyboard to start with, but all I really want is a few ways to control some parameters, and a few keys to tinker with. I watched an Asian dude give this a workout on YouTube and it looked like a lot of fun and very responsive. Might get a regular keyboard too at some point.

• The best keyboard is the one you'll use. Some people have a studio or even a desk or room for a more ambitious keyboard and don't mind being bound up with wires. Others have a couch, a patio, and whatever room on the kitchen table can be cleared by shoving stuff outta the way and just want to flip a little switch to start making noise.

But yeah, I can see how someone who is used to real keys and can actually play with two hands at once** would not like this thing at all.

(** should be illegal IMO)

• edited August 2016

Good thing about the Korg NanoKEY studio is that with it being so portable and light I can put it in my backpack alongside my iPad Pro 9.7" and use on the train or where ever I go.

• @wim what is wrong with playing keyboard with two hands?

• Hmmm, I haven't really looked at these things before. i would love to find something like a Nanokey2 but with rubber pads. The clickety clackety of the plastic keys just ain't right.

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@Artmuzz said:
    @wim what is wrong with playing keyboard with two hands?

Just a joke. If I'm too unskilled to manage it then IMO no one else should be allowed to either. We need to level the playing field people. B)

• @AudioGus said:
    Hmmm, I haven't really looked at these things before. i would love to find something like a Nanokey2 but with rubber pads. The clickety clackety of the plastic keys just ain't right.

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-board/
    https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/qunexus/

• @nrgb said:

@AudioGus said:
    Hmmm, I haven't really looked at these things before. i would love to find something like a Nanokey2 but with rubber pads. The clickety clackety of the plastic keys just ain't right.

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-board/
    https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/qunexus/

...perfect!! :kissing_heart:

• edited August 2016

@Artmuzz said:
    @skiphunt The NanoKEY studio is a good compact portable controller for Mac, PC, Surface Pro, iPad, iPhone and is worth the money. However, I would of preferred if Korg used real piano style keys but still it's a good little controller with good pads for chord sounds and drums/percussion. The device works for other apps on iOS that support Bluetooth midi.

If using on a Mac do not download and install the Bluetooth midi app from the Mac App Store that Korg recommend because it doesn't work for Mac. To get it working with Mac just open the Audio/midi settings in the utility folder on OSX and select Bluetooth midi from there and it will work. I wish I knew that from the beginning but now I have it working after deleting that app.

Well, I have my nanoKey studio now. :)

I've got it working in Logic by connecting in Audio/midi by selecting it as bluetooth. Also installed the korg mac drivers, but although the keyboard functions fine, the nanoKey studio doesn't show up on the control surfaces via setup/scan. No new devices show up. There's Korg microkontrol and kontrol49 that I can add manually, but those don't appear to be the maps for the nanoKey Studio.

It's cool that I can use the keys, pads, and x/y in Logic wirelessly, but do you know how you get it completely mapped so that you can use the knobs too?

• @AudioGus said:

I'm after a new controller too, and though I love the fact that ones got knobs, pads, x/y and keys it does sound very clacky.

• @skiphunt said:

@Artmuzz said:

Well, I have my nanoKey studio now. :)

I've got it working in Logic by connecting in Audio/midi by selecting it as bluetooth. Also installed the korg mac drivers, but although the keyboard functions fine, the nanoKey studio doesn't show up on the control surfaces via setup/scan. No new devices show up. There's Korg microkontrol and kontrol49 that I can add manually, but those don't appear to be the maps for the nanoKey Studio.

It's cool that I can use the keys, pads, and x/y in Logic wirelessly, but do you know how you get it completely mapped so that you can use the knobs too?

Maybe it's not showing up listed specifically and fully mapped because it's a fairly new product?

I double checked that I had the right drivers installed.

Also, noticed not all iPad apps will even work at all. For example, the Alina synth lists the nanoKey studio in its midi settings, allows you to "connect" but doesn't respond at all.

However, the same dev's Combo Organ app connects and plays just fine.

Honestly.... sometimes, these midi hassles make it easy to understand why iOS music has had so many problems getting popular traction.