Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording the audio played by modstep to blocs wave easily?

edited August 2016 in App Tips and Tricks

How should i go about this? I want to first sketch using midi on modstep and it controlling synths, then record the audio to blocs wave after i get it the way i want to with midi. And ofc get it in sync. Is there something ableton link or ab remote can do about this? Or how should i go about achieving this, the most easy and least painful way, as i dont want it to get in the way of my work flow too much? And the reason i want to do it like this is because i primarily play guitar and would prefer to get all the loops in the same place, from which i can then export them into my daw and construct the whole song.

Comments

• Modstep in Audiobus input slot and Blocs in the output. Both should have Link enabled. Go to the recording screen in Blocs and set the number of measures desired and then record.

• @funjunkie27 said:
    Modstep in Audiobus input slot and Blocs in the output. Both should have Link enabled. Go to the recording screen in Blocs and set the number of measures desired and then record.

I cant seem to get the sound out of modstep. I also tried getting the sound out of isymphonic while modstep was playing it, but it seems like it handles the two(audio bus and modstep) as different instances and just crashes. Im also trying to get the sound out of the internal instrument of modstep and its not working either. I even tried loading all the 8 outputs of modstep to audiobus, but its still not sending anything.

Oh yea and i just realized that the blocs wave, even tho it starts paying immediately when i press play on audiobus, and modstep does not, the blocs wave starts to play where ever the links clock was, not beginning of the loop. I guess this makes it easier to time the recording.

• I haven't had any problems getting audio out of Modstep through Audiobus. Give the project below a try. ModStep doesn't support state saving though. You definitely need "monitor" enabled in the Blocs recording screen to hear what is coming in from Audiobus.

The nature of Link is that it should start an app at the beginning of the quantum, and wait until the end of the quantum before stopping it, however I've seen some apps that don't strictly adhere to that.

Audiobus preset 'BlocsStep': http://preset.audiob.us/LRDEGvPtjVJTYM6

• edited August 2016

@funjunkie27 said:
    I haven't had any problems getting audio out of Modstep through Audiobus. Give the project below a try. ModStep doesn't support state saving though. You definitely need "monitor" enabled in the Blocs recording screen to hear what is coming in from Audiobus.

The nature of Link is that it should start an app at the beginning of the quantum, and wait until the end of the quantum before stopping it, however I've seen some apps that don't strictly adhere to that.

Audiobus preset 'BlocsStep': http://preset.audiob.us/LRDEGvPtjVJTYM6

Yea i had monitoring on(been using blocs wave since it came out, modstep and link is new to me), dunno why it didnt work. I loaded the preset and worked with it, even tho i had it the same way before, weird. Thanks

edit. It only seems to work with the internal instrument of modstep :/

edit2. It seems to work only with the first track sending sound through audiobus. I tried loading the output 2 of modstep to audiobus, but it didnt send any sound. Any ideas to get all the tracks to send audio?

• I originally had DRC as the instrument in ModStep and it was working. I just changed it to the int instrument in case you didn't have DRC. Have you gone through resetting your iPad? If so, you might need to reinstall ModStep. In all your cases, are you using AB and Blocs? Do you have any problems getting audio out of ModStep standalone or in AB with the speaker in the output?

• @funjunkie27 said:
    I originally had DRC as the instrument in ModStep and it was working. I just changed it to the int instrument in case you didn't have DRC. Have you gone through resetting your iPad? If so, you might need to reinstall ModStep. In all your cases, are you using AB and Blocs? Do you have any problems getting audio out of ModStep standalone or in AB with the speaker in the output?

The problem is getting audio to blocs wave through audiobus, other than for the 1st track(even if i load other modstep outputs to audiobus). They play fine in modstep, but only the 1st track gets through audiobus. I tried restarting the ipad, but it didnt do anything. It loos like there is something im missing with the outputs, but i cant find how to configure the audio outputs on modstep.

• Mmm....in Audiobus, when you select ModStep, you can tap on the "i" icon to specify which of 8 tracks you want to use. I believe that if you don't specify this, you should get the Master o/p. I selected tracks 1-4 in AB, and I was able to get tracks 2 and 3 to record into Blocs, but 1 and 4 did not, and I can't figure that out.

• edited August 2016

@funjunkie27 said:
    Mmm....in Audiobus, when you select ModStep, you can tap on the "i" icon to specify which of 8 tracks you want to use. I believe that if you don't specify this, you should get the Master o/p. I selected tracks 1-4 in AB, and I was able to get tracks 2 and 3 to record into Blocs, but 1 and 4 did not, and I can't figure that out.

I was able to get tracks 1 and 2 working by loading all 8 outs to audiobus and before starting modstep. I guess modstep is just too buggy with audiobus :/ Do you know if there is more stable way of routing this through aum? I have been thinking of getting aum anyways, but the price is kinda keeping me away atm

• I won't be able to try anything with AUM until tomorrow.

• edited August 2016

I've had big problems getting Modstep to deliver Audio to AUM through Audiobus from it's internal devices. It seems adamant on sending directly to the iOS devices stereo outs. Maybe part of the same larger problem? You can read about my own experience here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/14497/modstep-lets-pool-our-knowledge-of-its-bugs-and-how-to-best-work-around-them#latest