Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • KeyStep will give an unprecedented magnitude to your live sessions.

So there's that.

• Looks like a lot of functionality for the price.

Now the nevitable moan, shame there's no BT midi.

• Bought one recently, really great

• I forgot to ask, is anyone using this controller with Cubasis?

• Why on earth none of the keys have no ability to send program change messages?! This is getting ridiculous!*

*disclaimer: I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

• That dude's voice is awesome! Almost looks/sounds like it was overdubbed

• What can this do that the Korg nanokey studio can't? Seems like they share some features. Korg one has knobs, drum pads, and Bluetooth midi.

• Keystep is a sequencer also, for one thing.

• @ion677 said:
    What can this do that the Korg nanokey studio can't? Seems like they share some features. Korg one has knobs, drum pads, and Bluetooth midi.

Polyphonic seq/chord memory/CV output/midi ports/midi clock sync.. They are totally different beasts.

• Also, the Keystep has aftertouch. No small thing, for me.

• @mireko_2 said:

@ion677 said:
    What can this do that the Korg nanokey studio can't? Seems like they share some features. Korg one has knobs, drum pads, and Bluetooth midi.

Polyphonic seq/chord memory/CV output/midi ports/midi clock sync.. They are totally different beasts.

And MIDI to CV. Nicer keys and build generally. Arpeggiator (though maybe the Korg has one of those).

Think we'll have to wait for the KeyStep Pro to get some knobs and program changes. :/

• @miguelmarcos said:
    Also, the Keystep has aftertouch. No small thing, for me.

Yea that too :)

• Would be cool to see a little 2x4 grid of knobs that one could attach to the keystep's side.

• @syrupcore said:
    Would be cool to see a little 2x4 grid of knobs that one could attach to the keystep's side.

+1

• A thousand thank yous for posting this.

• edited March 9 Vote Up0

The keystep is my favorite midi controller ever. I velcro’d a battery pack on the top to power it via usb, then put my Bluetooth midi in the midi out. The result is pure bliss. I can wirelessly noodle anywhere.
    In AUM, just filter out midi channels for each instrument, then you can change instruments on the keystep just by changing the midi channel.

Last thing: I’d buy a keystep Pro in a heartbeat if they ever make one. Imagine having multiple sequences going to different instruments, and having a strip of knobs and sliders to modulate, mix, or tweak each instrument. It’d practically be it’s own daw.

• @ion677 said:

Last thing: I’d buy a keystep Pro in a heartbeat if they ever make one. Imagine having multiple sequences going to different instruments, and having a strip of knobs and sliders to modulate, mix, or tweak each instrument. It’d practically be it’s own daw.

The NDLR would be an interesting partner to the keystep

• Shame it’s using mini keys and only 32 keys. Slim keys (real ones, there is a standard to follow here, Arturia...) and 37 keys, slap Bluetooth inside, add a battery compartment and it would probably be the best compact controller ever. It definitely is a good tool to keep around though as it can interface with anything and, act as a midi/CV converter. Roland A-01 is the only other gear I know of that does all this stuff as well, trash sequencer but got Bluetooth and a neat lil synth to compensate.

• @ion677 said:

I think some version of a KSP is inevitable.

I want it to keep the same keyboard profile. I have other keyboards with full sized keys.

Built in, rechargeable USB power brick would be amazing though. It could run itself and other USB powered devices like the BSP, etc.