Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning & Dueling Ruismakers: A drum playground how-to

Comments

• This looks really good, and I'd love to try it. Alas, the settings do not work for me. I followed the instructions to the letter, and cannot see what's wrong. I can get sounds directly from Ruismaker within the setup described, and Patterning loaded with the supplied file looks like it's playing. But it is producing no sound. :'(

• @Nkersov said:
    This looks really good, and I'd love to try it. Alas, the settings do not work for me. I followed the instructions to the letter, and cannot see what's wrong. I can get sounds directly from Ruismaker within the setup described, and Patterning loaded with the supplied file looks like it's playing. But it is producing no sound. :'(

The most likely thing going wrong there is that Ruismaker is not receiving MIDI from Patterning. So double check the output MIDI channels in Patterning and the receiving MIDI channels in AUM/Ruismaker.

Also, you should turn down the levels of the Patterning channels to 0, but not "mute" them. Because when muted Patterning doesn't send MIDI commands.

• @brambos said:
    The most likely thing going wrong there is that Ruismaker is not receiving MIDI from Patterning. So double check the output MIDI channels in Patterning and the receiving MIDI channels in AUM/Ruismaker.

Just had another try, with settings as below. Sorry to be a dumbkopf if I'm still doing something silly.

• @brice Sounds really awesome!

• Just had another try, with settings as below. Sorry to be a dumbkopf if I'm still doing something silly.

Double-check your note numbers. The numbers you're using are the GM note numbers. If you're using Ruismaker's default note mapping you need different notes (the black keys).

• speachless... thank you

• edited July 2016

@brambos said:
    Double-check your note numbers. The numbers you're using are the GM note numbers. If you're using Ruismaker's default note mapping you need different notes (the black keys).

Okay, will do. Thanks for that. Perhaps the mistake I'm making is in assuming the supplied file was ready for use with Ruismaker and visa versa. Obviously, it's working well for many people. Ranks I can hopefully join soon.

• Okay, will do. Thanks for that. Perhaps the mistake I'm making is in assuming the supplied file was ready for use with Ruismaker and visa versa. Obviously, it's working well for many people. Ranks I can hopefully join soon.

It depends on what drum mapping is set in your preferences. If you didn't switch them to 'oldschool GM' then you need to use the black keys (C#3, D#3, F#3, ... F#4).

• edited July 2016

@brambos said:
    It depends on what drum mapping is set in your preferences. If you didn't switch them to 'oldschool GM' then you need to use the black keys (C#3, D#3, F#3, ... F#4).

Tried switching the first setting to C#3 and no joy. Will keep fiddling.

Just noticed that when I look in Patterning midi mapping, there is none. I had thought that when importing the supplied silent file this would be configured? Not sure how to arrange this manually, either. Even tried deleting Ruismaker and reinstalling app, which did absolutely nothing.

• edited July 2016

Here's what it looks like on my end. No special configuration tricks needed.. Works right away. When loading Patterning into AUM, choose "Patterning (Main output)" from the IAA list.

• @brambos said:
    Here's what it looks like on my end. No special configuration tricks needed.. Works right away. When loading Patterning into AUM, choose "Patterning (Main output)" from the IAA list.

Ah ha, progress. If I change settings to ch # 2, as you show, and manually configure notes, I'm finally getting sounds. Hallelujah. Thanks again for your help. :)

• @Nkersov said:

@brambos said:

Ah ha, progress. If I change settings to ch # 2, as you show, and manually configure notes, I'm finally getting sounds. Hallelujah. Thanks again for your help. :)

Hey Nkersov, sorry for not responding to your earlier posts about getting this setup to work. Looks like you're on the right path? Let me know if you're still having any issues and I'll try to help out if needed.

• @brambos said:
    Hi @brice , I shared your tutorial via the Ruismaker Facebook page, if that is ok with you!

By the way, what effect did you use for the cool glitchy stutters?

Definitely!

@Dchild was correct, Effectrix. Hours of fun that one. especially the Tonal Delay lane. ;)

• @brice said:
    Hey Nkersov, sorry for not responding to your earlier posts about getting this setup to work. Looks like you're on the right path? Let me know if you're still having any issues and I'll try to help out if needed.

>

Okay, Brice, thanks for that. Between Brambos helpful suggestions and perseverance, I'm up and running nicely. I just hadn't realised it would be necessary to manually set each channel, and what those settings could be.

• @Nkersov said:

@brice said:

>

Okay, Brice, thanks for that. Between Brambos helpful suggestions and perseverance, I'm up and running nicely. I just hadn't realised it would be necessary to manually set each channel, and what those settings could be.

Gotcha. Though I'm curious as to why you had to go into Patterning's MIDI settings at all, assuming you used the file I attached from @wim in my original post? I assumed the MIDI settings in his file would've translated without any user intervention—strange that they didn't, but anything is possible I suppose. Either way, glad to hear it's up and running for you. If you haven't already, make sure to save your Patterning session with the working MIDI mapping so it will be easy to recall at a later time.

• @brice said:
    Gotcha. Though I'm curious as to why you had to go into Patterning's MIDI settings at all, assuming you used the file I attached from @wim in my original post? I assumed the MIDI settings in his file would've translated without any user intervention—strange that they didn't, but anything is possible I suppose. Either way, glad to hear it's up and running for you. If you haven't already, make sure to save your Patterning session with the working MIDI mapping so it will be easy to recall at a later time.

Humm? That file has no affect on AUM's settings. You still have to tell AUM to listen on to the right channel and source. If Patterning is sending on channel 1 and AUM is only listening on channel 2 then there be a problem matey.

• Lemur template coming soon.m

Just need to assign all the cc's = Boring.

You can record automation for the X & Y controls. And there's a mixer page for AUM also automation can be recorded.

@Kaikoo2 nearly there :)

• @Dchild said:

Lemur template coming soon.m

You can record automation for the X & Y controls. And there's a mixer page for AUM also automation can be recorded.

Whoa! This looks awesome @Dchild I really need to get into Lemur. And by "get into" I mean figure out what it is and how to use it. :/

• @brice said:

@Dchild said:

Whoa! This looks awesome @Dchild I really need to get into Lemur. And by "get into" I mean figure out what it is and how to use it. :/

Or you can you my template, and spend your time making music haha :)

• @Dchild said:

@brice said:

@Dchild said:

Or you can you my template, and spend your time making music haha :)

That sounds like a deal to me. Sign me up!

• @brice said:
    I'm curious as to why you had to go into Patterning's MIDI settings at all, assuming you used the file I attached from @wim in my original post?. <

>

All I did was download the zip file, extract to Dropbox and open in Patterning. Then with the silent file set and running, I arranged things exactly as described in AUM. The result was that I could see Patterning playing and manually get sounds from Rusimaker, but no sounds were emerging from Rusimaker via Patterning.

I made sure that Rusimaker was set to receive from Patterning, in both cases. I had Link turned off in Patterning but on in AUM, as advised. But in Patterning the output channel defaulted to 1. Only when I manually altered htis to 2, and manually went in search of which notes could be assigned, did I start to get Patterning driving Rusimaker.

• @Dchild , looking forward to giving that Lemur template a spin! Beside doing some Korg Volca control templates I've never done anything meaningful with Lemur and it has just been sitting idly in my music tools folder :smiley:

• @brambos said:
    @Dchild , looking forward to giving that Lemur template a spin! Beside doing some Korg Volca control templates I've never done anything meaningful with Lemur and it has just been sitting idly in my music tools folder :smiley:

Neither have I, I just used modules from the user library. It's super easy...

• edited July 2016

@Dchild ,

My iElectribe iPhone template for 4 midi channels Cream

• @Dchild ,

8 instruments of iElectribe finished..

• Sorry i have the same Problem. No Sound on Ruismaker. In Modstep this works with One Ruismaker. But in Aum no Output.
    Must i turn link Off on patterning And Aum?

Thx for help

• @Kaikoo2 , what is the editor or app you're using?
    Thanks
    Looks great

• edited July 2016

@soundklinik said:
    @Kaikoo2 , what is the editor or app you're using?
    Thanks
    Looks great

Midi Controller app: Sonic Logic.

My build: Can not share it to you guys because I have not found a way to share it. Very bug free except very few crash on iOS 9.32. But it is ok and great. So can be highly recommended for you all.

Ruismaker:

Turnado 1 comprehensive for Ruismaker, you need to build 4 pages of it (each page for 2 ) for all Turnado knobs.

iElectribe iPhone: play on ch10 and channel 1-4 to Cream, then redirect Cream midi output to channel 10 to iElectribe or just use it for Patterning and SPA.

• edited July 2016

No automation on sonic logic <3 but I can use 8 parts of Cream CC for automation to apps if needed...

:)

• @Bartlinux said:
    Sorry i have the same Problem. No Sound on Ruismaker. In Modstep this works with One Ruismaker. But in Aum no Output.
    Must i turn link Off on patterning And Aum?

Thx for help

Bartlinux. It only started to work for me when I manually changed the midi setting in Patterning to channel 2, and then assigned notes individually. Basically, going through what was available with Patterning playing silently using Wim's file, until I got a noise, then continuing, assigning notes until I had a full roster.