Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning & Dueling Ruismakers: A drum playground how-to

edited July 2016 in App Tips and Tricks

Using Patterning to drive two instances of Ruismaker via AUM: A drum playground on the backbone of a volcano

·
·
This experiment began here when I asked for suggestions for a good step sequencer to control Ruismaker. @brambos suggested Patterning, and the door opened. Both apps play remarkably well together with AUM as a makeshift chaperone. So much so that I am putting together this summary from my original thread, along with some additional tips, should you guys and girls want to get into some extensive (chaotic / beautiful) drum experiments of your own.
·
·
·
·

Here’s what you’ll need

• Apps: Ruismaker, Patterning and AUM, which you should already have!

• People around you who will tolerate how loud your life is.

• Extract the .zip file attached down below and choose “Copy to Patterning” from the extracted file (_Silent.onpd). This is a decoy drum kit made of silent samples to mitigate any CPU load from Patterning. We won’t be using Patterning as a sound source, so we don’t need it to load a bunch of samples. This kit was made and very generously uploaded by @wim

Setup

• Open AUM and create 4 channels. Insert Patterning on one, TWO instances of Ruismaker on the next two and we’ll use the 4th channel as the mix bus (trust me—you’ll likely benefit from being able to turn the whole machine down with one slider)

• You can mute or turn down Patterning if it makes you feel better, but there is no need really since it’s just spitting out MIDI data while it plays silence.

• Send the two Ruismaker channels to Mix Bus A, and set channel four to receive from Mix Bus A.

• Set each instance of Ruismaker to receive MIDI from "Patterning"

• Optional: place an EQ and some compression + limiting on channel four to keep everybody in check.

And thanks to @wim everything inside of Patterning is already mapped to Ruismaker. Head over to AUM and tap play. You should be hearing both instances of Ruismaker playing. It's now in your hands to combine them and get them to work together.

Additional tips & things to try

It's tough to define reason with two separate instances of the same drum machine running at the same time off the same sequencer, so embrace the fact that you probably aren't going to get a specific beat neatly laid out. Instead, go wild and throw every effect processor app you've got on Ruismaker's channels.

Open each instance of Ruismaker and fly through the presets. Land on one, tweak it a bit, save a new preset then keep tapping "randomize" to find another path. Then feed them through more processing apps. Distort one instance to oblivion, smash the other with a heavy-handed compressor and then feed them both through more distortion and more compression. In the example audio file below I was getting some charismatic results by following this no rules approach. B) Albeit, I didn't do a good job with the recording (make sure to watch your levels going into the mixbus compressor). But still, I got results I never would have gotten from a more traditional path to beatmaking. Have fun!
·
·
·
·

Comments

• Sounds great! Will try.

• @brice can you list all the FX used here.

Sounds really good man.

• @brice you've either missed your calling or found it :) Nicely done....

• @Dchild said:
    @brice can you list all the FX used here.

Sounds really good man.

Thanks! Sure, I'd be happy to. All the sounds were generated by the two instances of Ruismaker, even the more bassline-ish sounds. Incredibly powerful drum machine for being so incredibly simple. Beyond that I used the following effects to varying degrees:

DC-9
    Resampler
    F-16 Filter
    Zero Reverb
    Tap Delay
    zMors EQ
    RP|1
    Master Record
    AUFX: Push
    Korvpressor
    SquashIt
    And Effectrix for some of the sequence glitching that I was unable to achieve with Patterning's sequencer. I also used a handful of various AUM channel effects for filtering and imaging. So pretty much the whole stash made an appearance it seems!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @brice you've either missed your calling or found it :) Nicely done....

Thanks!
    Well I am currently the proprietor of a makeshift lost-and-found for callings. Maybe I'll go digging through the stash tomorrow and see if anything sticks :)

• @brice said:

@Dchild said:

Sounds really good man.

Thanks! Sure, I'd be happy to. All the sounds were generated by the two instances of Ruismaker, even the more bassline-ish sounds. Incredibly powerful drum machine for being so incredibly simple. Beyond that I used the following effects to varying degrees:

DC-9
    Resampler
    F-16 Filter
    Zero Reverb
    Tap Delay
    zMors EQ
    RP|1
    Master Record
    Korvpressor
    SquashIt
    And Effectrix for some of the sequence glitching that I was unable to achieve with Patterning's sequencer. I also used a handful of various AUM channel effects for filtering and imaging. So pretty much the whole stash made an appearance it seems!

Master record is what I was after.
    Just purchased... It sounds great. Cheers man. Have you tried cream instead of patterning.

• @Dchild said:

@brice said:

@Dchild said:

Sounds really good man.

DC-9
    Resampler
    F-16 Filter
    Zero Reverb
    Tap Delay
    zMors EQ
    RP|1
    Master Record
    Korvpressor
    SquashIt

Just purchased... It sounds great. Cheers man. Have you tried cream instead of patterning.

Agreed. It's very well-suited for adding touches of grit, noise and texture. I'm using it on pretty much everything. Haven't tried Cream. Good stuff?

• @brice said:

@Dchild said:

@brice said:

@Dchild said:

Sounds really good man.

DC-9
    Resampler
    F-16 Filter
    Zero Reverb
    Tap Delay
    zMors EQ
    RP|1
    Master Record
    Korvpressor
    SquashIt

Agreed. It's very well-suited for adding touches of grit, noise and texture. I'm using it on pretty much everything. Haven't tried Cream. Good stuff?

Cream is terrific, but a closed language to most of us. The Captain knows how good it is, but if ever there was a piece of work that could do with a piece of your work, Cream might be it...

• @brice this is awesome stuff! And I'm going to have to try some of those effects now. Cheers!

• @brambos said:
    @brice this is awesome stuff! And I'm going to have to try some of those effects now. Cheers!

I just lost two hours.... i'm at work... haha... Concentrate...

@brambos you really have made a work of art. It sounds sooooo RAW! Amazing for Techno.

• Nicely done @brice ! Both the tutorial and the "proof of the pudding".

-cheers!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@brice said:

@Dchild said:

@brice said:

@Dchild said:

Sounds really good man.

DC-9
    Resampler
    F-16 Filter
    Zero Reverb
    Tap Delay
    zMors EQ
    RP|1
    Master Record
    Korvpressor
    SquashIt

Cream is terrific, but a closed language to most of us. The Captain knows how good it is, but if ever there was a piece of work that could do with a piece of your work, Cream might be it...

@JohnnyGoodyear Yes the Captain helped me tame the beast. Its a mind bender for sure, but worth it.

• edited July 2016

Hi @brice , I shared your tutorial via the Ruismaker Facebook page, if that is ok with you!

By the way, what effect did you use for the cool glitchy stutters?

• @brambos said:
    Hi @brice , I shared your tutorial via the Ruismaker Facebook page, if that is ok with you!

By the way, what effect did you use for the cool glitchy stutters?

I think its Effectrix - Sugar Btyes.

I just bought it, based on @brice audio clip.

• Looks amazing. I think I need that in my life.

• edited July 2016

Genius! Thank for sharing :) And good groove too

Tried. Worked like a charm

• I'm having a ton of fun with this! Effectrix really is the big phat icing on this cake. Thanks for making the tutorial, @brice

• This is awesome!
    ...I have used a similar setup with Patterning, iSEM, Ondes and 2 or 3 instances of Ruismaker, plugged into Dedalus, Gliderverb, Dubfilter and the AUFX series... Organic morphing techno!
    Just a quick question; did you use IAA or Link? Also did you try to mix in any of Patterning's output with it's built in drum kits?
    Cheers
    :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @brice you've either missed your calling or found it :) Nicely done....

+50.

• In this setup I have Ableton link enabled within AUM and Patterning. I can't start/stop Patterning from within AUM. Should I be able to?

• @brice - on a Roll. Heaps of appreciation.

• wimwim
    edited July 2016

@markk said:
    In this setup I have Ableton link enabled within AUM and Patterning. I can't start/stop Patterning from within AUM. Should I be able to?

Disable link in Patterning, enable it in AUM. I know that sounds odd, but doing it that way IAA midi sync handles the timing and transport for Patterning. Link only handles timing.

• @markk said:
    In this setup I have Ableton link enabled within AUM and Patterning. I can't start/stop Patterning from within AUM. Should I be able to?

It worked for me without Link. Admittedly it took some tinkering but something in the setup suddenly decided to become sync master and the rest followed obediently from then on including start/stop.

• I'm in the process of building a lemur template for 2x Ruis modulation all on one interface. This looks very tempting however.

• @brambos said:

@markk said:

It worked for me without Link. Admittedly it took some tinkering but something in the setup suddenly decided to become sync master and the rest followed obediently from then on including start/stop.

For me, if Link is enabled in Patterning and Patterning is loaded into AUM, the AUM start button will will not start Patterning. If Link is disabled in Patterning then it starts and stops just fine and tempo tracks too. I'm not sure why you had different results, but am guessing that it somehow turns into a coin toss between Link and IAA Sync. Better just to disable Link in Patterning.

• @Dchild said:
    I'm in the process of building a lemur template for 2x Ruis modulation all on one interface. This looks very tempting however.

That looks pretty sweet. I have Lemur, but haven't looked at it in ages. Time to dig it back up, I guess!

• edited July 2016

@Dchild,

I like its (Funfair) clean looking and work great in one or two page.

But in my opinion, it is just a pair of midiLFOs app working together. midiLFOs is limited to 4 LFO in single interface, but it has LFO on LFO derivatives which is far more advanced working for synthesizer sound.

If midiLFOs goes to AU format, you gonna loving it crazily with few pairs. :)

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    @Dchild,

But in my opinion, it is just a pair of midiLFOs app working together. midiLFOs is limited to 4 LFO in single interface, but it has LFO on LFO derivatives which is far more advanced working for synthesizer sound.

And it can't be synced to a midi clock, the developer just messaged me on FB

• edited July 2016

@Dchild said:

@Kaikoo2 said:
    @Dchild,

You meant the 'Funfair' no clock sync?

Anyway, I email Art Kerns about this, and see if he going to consider more about midiLFOs.

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@Dchild said:

@Kaikoo2 said:
    @Dchild,

You meant the 'Funfair' no clock sync?

Anyway, I email Art Kerns about this, and see if he going to consider more about midiLFOs.

Yes Funfair cannot be synced