Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Suggestions for a step sequencer to use with Ruismaker?

Hi all, wondering if anyone can suggest a step sequencer that could be used to create patterns with Ruismaker? I haven't jumped on the Modstep train just yet, and GarageBand bores me to tears. Anything else out there that can bridge the gap? thanks!

Comments

• Genome - hope it gets Link soon

• For my own testing purposes (beside the obvious suspects like Cubasis and Modstep) I'm having a lot of fun hosting it in AUM and driving it with Patterning. The simplicity of Patterning for creating drum sequences is top notch.

• I started to use midiSteps sequencer. Works good, 4 tracks

• @brambos said:
    For my own testing purposes (beside the obvious suspects like Cubasis and Modstep) I'm having a lot of fun hosting it in AUM and driving it with Patterning. The simplicity of Patterning for creating drum sequences is top notch.

8 tracks,any time sig = groove heaven.

• I 3rd Ruismaker as driven by Patterning - Instant good times.

I'm including @wim 's generous How To here:

@wim said:

@MeatWalrus said:
    Hello how we all doing ?can you guys explain how to set up patterning with ruismaker. Been trying but I'm still a rookie when it comes to apps driving other apps . Thanks -Meat

Yeah, it's a little bit complicated. I'll take a shot...

• Load Patterning and RuisMaker in AUM. Mute the Patterning channel.
    • In the file tab in Patterning, MIDI Settings, turn on each track, set the output to Patterning, and the MIDI channel to 10 (or whatever you want to use). Set the notes to the ones that RuisMaker uses (C#3, D#3, F#3, G#3, A#3, C#4, D#4, F#4).
    • Turn down all the faders and FX sends in the Patterning mixer.
    • Back in AUM, set the input for RuisMaker to "Patterning", and channel 10 (or whatever)
    • That should do it. You might want to save the Patterning song before loading notes into it so that you have an easy point to start from next time. You also might want to save the AUM session.

I can post a Patterning song and AUM preset here if you like, but recommend giving it a try yourself first as an educational exercise. ;)

Here's what the patterning MIDI Settings should look like:

• @brambos said:
    For my own testing purposes (beside the obvious suspects like Cubasis and Modstep) I'm having a lot of fun hosting it in AUM and driving it with Patterning. The simplicity of Patterning for creating drum sequences is top notch.

Ahhh, Patterning somehow slipped my mind. Just gave it a try and it's definitely an awesome combo. thanks for the suggestion!

• @anickt said:
    Genome - hope it gets Link soon

@soundklinik said:
    I started to use midiSteps sequencer. Works good, 4 tracks

I'll check these out. Thanks!

• @Proppa said:
    I 3rd Ruismaker as driven by Patterning - Instant good times.

@wim said:

@MeatWalrus said:
    Hello how we all doing ?can you guys explain how to set up patterning with ruismaker. Been trying but I'm still a rookie when it comes to apps driving other apps . Thanks -Meat

• In the file tab in Patterning, MIDI Settings, turn on each track, set the output to Patterning, and the MIDI channel to 10 (or whatever you want to use). Set the notes to the ones that RuisMaker uses (C#3, D#3, F#3, G#3, A#3, C#4, D#4, F#4).
    • Back in AUM, set the input for RuisMaker to "Patterning", and channel 10 (or whatever)
    • That should do it. You might want to save the Patterning song before loading notes into it so that you have an easy point to start from next time. You also might want to save the AUM session.

I can post a Patterning song and AUM preset here if you like, but recommend giving it a try yourself first as an educational exercise. ;)

That's very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Sidenote: any idea how to change the names of each "pad" in Patterning? Say you've setup a custom mapping for Ruismaker according to the above and you want to name each sound in Patterning to correspond with Ruismaker. Also say I have extreme OCD with stuff like this and I can't make it not matter.

• @brice That bugged me too when Patterning Ruismaker. This might not be The best solution but Patterning's "pads" become the name of the loaded sample so you could set up a "dummy template" in Patterning that contains the corresponding (to Ruismaker) drum voices.

• @Proppa said:
    @brice That bugged me too when Patterning Ruismaker. This might not be The best solution but Patterning's "pads" become the name of the loaded sample so you could set up a "dummy template" in Patterning that contains the corresponding (to Ruismaker) drum voices.

Yeah, it seems strange that you can't directly edit those names in either the pattern view or the mixer view in Patterning. And some song files seem only loosely based on the actual sample names for each instrument. Your solution here might be the only option to set my OCD at ease. Thanks for the tip!

• edited June 2016

@brice said:
    Also say I have extreme OCD with stuff like this and I can't make it not matter.

Useless, I know, but just a brotherly note: you're not alone.

• Here's something that will hopefully help your OCD on two counts. The attached kit contains pads numbered 1 through 8 just like RuisMaker (and seekbeats, and ElasticDrums). Additionally, each drum sample is actually a very small, silent wav file. By using this, you don't waste memory and processing power on samples that you don't want to hear in the first place. It also defaults all FX sends to off to avoid any internal FX processing.

• @wim you're a star for that.

• It bugged me that I had to remember to go turn down all the faders and sends each time. That's when I noticed that the pads get named by the name of the wav file imported. Then I got to thinking about all that wasted memory and processing power. Maybe I'm a little OCD meself. ;)

It would be cool if Patterning just included a switch on each pad to turn off all internal audio processing ... and to be able to rename the pads.

• @wim said:
    Here's something that will hopefully help your OCD on two counts. The attached kit contains pads numbered 1 through 8 just like RuisMaker (and seekbeats, and ElasticDrums). Additionally, each drum sample is actually a very small, silent wav file. By using this, you don't waste memory and processing power on samples that you don't want to hear in the first place. It also defaults all FX sends to off to avoid any internal FX processing.

Fantastic! Thank you for passing this along, definitely will be put to use.

• @syrupcore said:

@brice said:
    Also say I have extreme OCD with stuff like this and I can't make it not matter.

Useless, I know, but just a brotherly note: you're not alone.

Stay strong, my friend. It will all be perfect eventually.

• With Patterning driving Ruismaker in this setup, I believe I've reached the holy land of iPad drum programming. I am literally never going to get laid again. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

• Drum synth and drum sampler covered in one setup. Best of both worlds!

• @brambos said:
    Drum synth and drum sampler covered in one setup. Best of both worlds!

Indeed! And DM1 is only providing a kick drum as I've got the kick in Ruismaker doing "other things." Whatever magic you've put into Ruismaker has certainly paid off. Brilliant sounding drum synth.

• @brice said:

@brambos said:

Indeed! And DM1 is only providing a kick drum as I've got the kick in Ruismaker doing "other things." Whatever magic you've put into Ruismaker has certainly paid off. Brilliant sounding drum synth.

Excellent! That's great to hear!

Just to state the obvious: you can have more than one kick in Ruismaker, if you like. Simply tap any channel button, then hit the little name popup thingy and assign a kick to that channel. You just can't have the same kick on more than one channel simultaneously.

• edited June 2016

NULL

• much appreciated @wim

• @brambos said:

@brice said:

@brambos said:

Excellent! That's great to hear!

Just to state the obvious: you can have more than one kick in Ruismaker, if you like. Simply tap any channel button, then hit the little name popup thingy and assign a kick to that channel. You just can't have the same kick on more than one channel simultaneously.

I'm thankful you stated the obvious here as I had no idea this was possible and it's a fantastic feature. Thanks!

• Wow. Just setup multiple ruis in aum with patterning myself. Its So much fun. Can't wait to record some beats to import into ableton for some mangling.

• What a gray post! Thank you so much!

I cam apply this same setup to having Patterning drive Cubasis' mini Sampler drum kit which sound really huge by the way to play tick songs.

Gonna try it out!

@Proppa said:
    I 3rd Ruismaker as driven by Patterning - Instant good times.

@wim said:

@MeatWalrus said:

• Don't forget, you can still use selected internal Patterning sounds as well. Just load up the kit you want, turn off the MIDI for that track, pull down the sliders and FX sends for any tracks that you're driving externally, and pull up the sliders and FX sends for any internal channels you want to use.

Or, layer things up. Send external MIDI to RuisMaker and use an internal sound. A snare with a really short envelope layered over a kick can do some nice things.

• @wim said:
    Don't forget, you can still use selected internal Patterning sounds as well. Just load up the kit you want, turn off the MIDI for that track, pull down the sliders and FX sends for any tracks that you're driving externally, and pull up the sliders and FX sends for any internal channels you want to use. Oh, and unmute Patterning in AUM.

Or, layer things up. Send external MIDI to RuisMaker and use an internal sound. A snare with a really short envelope layered over a kick can do some nice things.

• Also, of extreme interest, don't forget you can load multiple instances of Ruismaker and have them all being triggered by Patterning. It can get quite chaotic rather quickly, but once you get things sorted out ... magic!

• Great work being done in this thread gents -- the Power of the AudioBus Forum in fine style.

• It's amazing to see. Just when I think I've pulled myself up one rung on the ladder, I look up and there are guys darting around with jetpacks! Multiple RuisMakers in AUM all driven by Patterning!? MADNESS!