Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Join the dark side

This won't be a revolution for many but possibly it will turn useful to some:
Try to work with your devices at the lowest screen brightness setting possible will make your battery cycle much longer. Best results with brightness to absolute minimum. It can literally double your cycles and on the long run make the battery life a bit longer.
NB: at min brightness I can still see pretty well on the pad2 while on the 12" pro is a no go,

Comments

• @mschenkel.it said:
    This won't be a revolution for many but possibly it will turn useful to some:
    Try to work with your devices at the lowest screen brightness setting possible will make your battery cycle much longer. Best results with brightness to absolute minimum. It can literally double your cycles and on the long run make the battery life a bit longer.
    NB: at min brightness I can still see pretty well on the pad2 while on the 12" pro is a no go,

ive pretty much been doing this for years lol. at max i put it to 20% but its mostly at 0.

• I've found that the real difference is when you set it to 0; any aother value won't work so efficiently at saving battery.

• I joined :)

Another bad thing for iPad battery is to use it with power source plugged in, when battery is 100%.

• This is good advice, but anyone tried performing with bright stage lights or at an outdoor festival?;)

Anything less than 90% may as well be off

• @soundklinik said:
    I joined :)

Another bad thing for iPad battery is to use it with power source plugged in, when battery is 100%.

Why?

• edited June 2016

@gonekrazy3000 said:

ive pretty much been doing this for years lol. at max i put it to 20% but its mostly at 0.

same. when people look at my iphone or ipad they usually say...."why the hell is your screen so dark?"
    I think to myself.."yeah, well, yours is way too fucking bright! gimme my idevice back!" ;)

• It's all to do with the heat apparently, the hotter the battery gets, the less it lasts.

• @RustiK said:

@soundklinik said:

Why?

According to my computer geek friend, (and as Andy said) it creates heat and somehow messes up the natural cycle memory and capacity that these batteries have.

It degrades the 100% capacity, making it smaller, meaning what was 100% then, is only 90% now (example)....fully charged.
    But it doesn't matter if you plug in power and use it when you drop down to 10%...
    But once full, cut power and let it work its cycle....YMMV
    This is not engraved in marble....anywhere

• @soundklinik said:

@RustiK said:

@soundklinik said:

Why?

According to my computer geek friend, (and as Andy said) it creates heat and somehow messes up the natural cycle memory and capacity that these batteries have.

It degrades the 100% capacity, making it smaller, meaning what was 100% then, is only 90% now (example)....fully charged.
    But it doesn't matter if you plug in power and use it when you drop down to 10%...

problem though is i use it with my iconnectaudio4+ alongside my pc. and that soundcard charges when the idevice is plugged in. i guess i'll just connect it to the lower 1A slot so that it charges slower.....

• Auto brightness on or off? What's best?

• edited June 2016

@soundklinik said:

@RustiK said:

@soundklinik said:

Why?

Apple iPad and iPhone batteries have a charging demand circuit that detects the battery charge level and disengages charging when it doesn't need it

While it's technically true that for absolute optimal battery performance you should keep a lithium ion battery between 40-90% charge it's highly unlikely you will use your device for enough years to notice a difference. Keeping it plugged in at 100% is fine

If anything, you should be much more careful not to let the battery level drop below 20%. That will hurt the battery. The lower you let it go the more it will hurt your battery but your device will shut down automatically before it reaches dangerously low levels

In the end, heat is a far more likely cause of battery deterioration than your charging habits, especially considering how cpu intensive some music iOS apps are

Finally it's worth noting that lithium ion batteries will deteriorate, even if not used, from the moment they're created. This is an inherent flaw with the technology and there is nothing we as consumers can do about it

• @OscarSouth said:
    This is good advice, but anyone tried performing with bright stage lights or at an outdoor festival?;)

Anything less than 90% may as well be off

Ja. I know that daylight is a deal breaker:)

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Auto brightness on or off? What's best?

Off I guess, but I really never understood how, when and if the auto-brightness works

• Generally speaking it seems some are overly cautious about the battery in Apple products. Interwebz forums telling horror stories about people being sold lemons has made people worry about it when in reality the battery will be fine. If not Apple is excellent when it comes to replacing items. Hell you might even get an upgrade. I have my iPad 4th gen docked to the I track for hours when I'm recording. I use that thing like a workhorse. As long as the device is working like it should and it turns on, I'm not worried. Running the brightness that low can cause the programs and OS to react funky as well for the Retina display models. If I have the brightness turned down while docked the I track or the iPad start to make a noise. It'd be cool if there was an option to turn off the display while mirroring to an external display. Like when you close the lid to your laptop.

• The Coming Insurrection.

• @rhcball doubtful, and if so anyone who would want violence to occur is no less of a sadist than the oppressive cowards we are dealt.

• edited June 2016

I'm at 50% under a roof, about 80-100% on stage. As @OscarSouth mentioned everything is different with sunlight /stage lighting.

Going down to 0 seems super extreme to me. I normally own my ipads for max 2 to 3 years so absolutely no point worrying about battery cycles.

• @TheMaestro said:
    @rhcball doubtful, and if so anyone who would want violence to occur is no less of a sadist than the oppressive cowards we are dealt.

I was just talkin' about Apple batteries.

• @rhcball said:

@TheMaestro said:
    @rhcball doubtful, and if so anyone who would want violence to occur is no less of a sadist than the oppressive cowards we are dealt.

I was just talkin' about Apple batteries.

Rather unusual use of such a specific word for a discussion of batteries. Who am I to judge? I hate all politics. :)