Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUFX Push side-chain gated compression effect tutorial

edited June 2016 in App Tips and Tricks

Hi,

This is a random AUM keyboard playing the tutorial sound. I will begin to write and show you how to achieve it with only compression limiting technique. Ya, I know the tune sucks :# , no worry it will be a great tutorial. This tutorial is difficult for me to write, but once you understand it, it is one of the best thing you can have musically.

Continue...

Comments

• edited June 2016

What is the benefit to use side-chain compression?

I ask myself what is this and why it is important to me by understanding about this technique.

There are few immediate benefits from it:

1. Can play any synth app that has no midi in. Such as TC-11 and Eera synth.

2. This technique can be use for voice ducking and trance tunes.

3. You do not LFO for vibrato.

4. Very efficient way to play few synths simultaneously

5. Save iPad CPU power

6. The most important thing is it actually adapted to the kicks rhythm for rhythmic melody.

In today's lesson, the basic apps requirement:

AUM mixer, AUFX PUSH and any synths you have and a drum machine which can be driven by AUM IAA playhead.

Yes, I know I can make it Modstep with AUM and many other things to fool you, but that is not what I want you to learn.

Today our objective is:

1. Introduce you how to use AUFX PUSH noise gate with side-chaining

2. How to do rhythmic compression (limiting) to the gated effect with drum machine kicks

3. If possible I will continue do a Fugue Machine demo on this technique to show you a simple song made purely on this effect.

Once you learn it, you will see you will no longer complain there must be a midi for synth app. I am happy to say that one of the Euro Trance tune composed by Anthony Elvis from the producer of A.I.R studio is awesome. Unfortunately, that Auria Pro G youtube video no longer be found.

So by this tutorial, I expect AUFX Push to have AU extention supports. Then you can make complex trance tune with many AUFX.Push units.

So, let's dive in...

• I am VERY pleased you did this Captain. Side-chain is one of those things everyone talks about (apart from those of us who sit quietly on the sidelines wondering what the hell we're missing out on :).....

• Is aufx push the only app for side chain compression ? I ask because i have others compressor but not this one .Anyway If i have to buy it i will do ...

• edited June 2016

First thing first...

The following AUFX.PUSH photo of this section shows you two big mistakes when you doing gated compression.

The top left 'In' parameter show you the volume db of Animoog synth. It is important to know that the top left noise gate threshold slider correspond to that tiny red triangle on the 'IN' horizontal db bar.

The white vertical on 'IN' db bar represent the Animoog db peak (by my interpretation).

The gate (noise gate) is opening by counting from the red triangle to that white peak. If the red over the the white peak, there is no audio; the gate closed.

So the red to the white is the 'dynamic range' of that noise gate. This range is not needed to be widening or lengthy. If the range is too wide, as you can see, the red triangle will be too deep to far negative db. From my understanding, you do not need that much range for the range.

Once you know the range, you can tune the noise gate attack, release and hold sliders, which means you are actually tuning the envelope to smooth out the noise gate dynamic audio range.

If you adjust the red to close to the white vertical, you will have a very jumpy Animoog sound, which is also not what you should do. What you really need is a range to let that blue color db flashing in between the red triangle and the white vertical peak line; of which is the correct range. Remember, not too wide and deep, and not too narrowly jumpy for the audio.

In middle center of AUFX.PUSH sitting the compression orange vertical line. The threshold slider is under that orange coloring line. When you see this photo, you also see a red vertical line, which represent the noise gate db number that correspond to what we said before 'the red triangle'.

We in this tutorial are going to use heavy limiting compression by using higher compression ratio. Because it is too heavy ratio that the compression becomes limiting effect on zero db. So our job here is to move the compression threshold to let it closer to the red vertical gated line. However, we should not pass the compression line by passing it over the gated red line. If you do that, you actually doing over-compressing. What you really need is just a gentle move. Besides, the real art for doing compression is to let compression attack, release and hold sliders to smoothing the compressed audio dynamic range.

I am not here to guide you what is compression. That is the job of many music experts. My job is let you practice. So the compression attack and release is actually the most important transient preserving sliders. If you just play heavy compression threshold without attack and release tweaking, you are really not using the compression envelope to shape the sound. So to speak.

So the photo of AUFX.PUSH actually shows you the

'TWO BIGGEST MISTAKES'

you can do from the above explanations. Shortly, I will guide you more, it is this photo here I want to clarify what goes wrong when you are doing them.

• edited June 2016

• edited June 2016

Now let's do drum synth on AUM...

Insert a drum machine, it should be an app that when you press play button of AUM playhead, the drum app can drive the kick sounds.

I use DM2 here, because DM2 synthesis allows you adjusting the kick amplitude, and most important thing is you can adjust the kick 'Envelope'.

So My BPM for the demo tune is 145.

On 145 bpm, the envelope timing of 1/4th kick is 413.79 millisecond long maximum to end the kick envelope range. Check this site: http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/convert/bpm_table.htm for the timing.

Here the photos...

Adjust your parameters roughly according to this photo

No mid in/out and only Ableton Link with DM2

You need to flaff around the master volume and the KICK volume. usually a maximun for KICK volume. Because what we need the fluctuation of volume. It is important to note that these 2 sliders adjustment actually passing the 'KEY IN' volume dynamic range, which will be shown on top right coner of AUFX.PUSH. On AUFX.PUSH, it say 'KEY' on top right, which is this kicks dynamic range pumping in.

Inserting it to AUM IAA input slot, you can see there is no ticking whatsoever on the AUM matrix. Only Ableton Link.

Conclusion here...

The drum kick you are using should have a clear tone, more clear the sound, the more AUFX.PUSH can realize its vibration. If you have dull drum sound, please change to others.

Finally, you should avoid 'clipping' sound from designing kicks. The heavy clipping sound is very very ugly for rhythmic tunes.

• edited June 2016

We use default sound, nothing will be modified for this default sound.

Here, Animoog inserting to CHAN2 input slot. ON Animoog, we have no midi source name ticked, only select channel 1 for midi in.

Provide AUM keyboard on channel 1, later we will have this AUM keyboard on 'Hold', then dive into AUFX.PUSH to adjust the tunes.

• edited June 2016

Ok,

With this link:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13943/aufx-push-advice#latest

Doug's video use a mic on AB input, he then insert AUFX.PUSH 'Key In' to the mic fx slot.

He uses his voices to control the music that when he speaks out, the compression kick in to compress the music whenever he begin to talk. It is when that moment he talk, the limiting compression vertical push (compress) between the gated music range threshold to the normal zero db to compress that range. In other word, when he talk, that range is being muffled or shutting down. How that music being shotted down also through the Compression attack and release envelope timing. The slower the attack, the more transient peak being preserved until the audio being compressed. Release also promotes the tail end of that envelope time, so the sound will be smoother to the cut off point.

So the controlling voice from Doug and here the DM2 are the 'Key Input' AUFX.PUSH effect, which will tell the opposite side of AUFX.PUSH effect to shut the targeted app mouth down; so to speak.

Once you understand this mirror image of this app, we know the Key In should be on DM2 to shut the Animoog audio down.

You can use this technique on any rhythmic play to control another app to let it down.

So now, we proceed to insert AUFX.PUSH IAA Key In fx to DM2 effect slot. Then we insert another part (not midi one) to Animoog IAA effect. Bingo.

Here is 3 photos for your reference:

The basic setup has been down, all the rest is into AUFX.PUSH for tuning. If you press the hold button for Animoog, then press AUM playhead, you are ready rhythmic melody!

• Now we proceed to open the AUFX.PUSH. Two insert fx slot is the same one here. No Matter which one you open, they are the same inside.

***** Now, load preset patch 07 'Gate Soft'. *****

• edited June 2016

From this 07 patch, we begin our tuning...

Let's move the middle bottom 'RATIO' to 48:1.

2:1 ratio equates to 50% cut off.

3:1 ratio =1 mimus 1/3 = 1- 0.33 = 66% cut off.

48:1 ratio = 1 - 1/48 = 1 - 0.02083 = 0.98 or 98% of audio erased.

• After you press the AUM play with key holding to Animoog, you now ready to adjust the Noise Gate threshold. Move it to negative 36 db on the photo below. The centered red line is moving to left side on the compression graph.

• Follow these 2 photos for everything here...

Your rhythmic tuning has been done.

• edited June 2016

Now, let me explain a few things about some of the icons here...

1. Generally, you do not move the compression vertical yellow line to the left side of gated vertical line.

2. The soft knee 4.5 is quite good number, you can do soft knee! Soft knee provides nonlinear compression move to the audio.

3. The top side L/R link the left and right channels for more parallel sounding movement.

4. S-C FLTR is not necessary for kick drum here, because there is only one sound come out of DM2. You do not need to filter out unwanted sounds. Off it.

5. By pressing S-C MON, you can hear drum sound only with the side-chaining. It is for proofing your tuning.

6. Makeup Gain on green button Auto. However, the zero db is for your finger to adjust the level for your maximum hearing range.

7. Button right the 'LIM LOOKAHEAD' is important for adjusting the tunes. Don't ignore its importance. However, I have not quite understand the in and out of latency adjustment. It needs a lot of guidance from developer to know what is going on with AUM latency in between. I can not help its usage for you.

8. Parallel Dry Mix is the new York style so called. Add some original sound back to the mix.

9. Noise Gate green big dot; if on green color, it means the gate is open, Animoog audio range is being monitoring by this gated on effect. If you move the red triangle threshold slider to right and above the white vertical line. The gate is closed by this action. The green color will be off on this big dot.

• edited June 2016

I roughly finish it.

Thank you for your time consumed for waiting. Many thanks to @Nathan 's question allow me to do what I wanted to. The gated side-chain limiting compression effect.

Of course, it is not perfect. I am only have 24 hours real play with AUGX.PUSH.

I don't use it, because I felt too complex with lots texts to consume my energetic fun. So I know it is something. I never expect I will do this tutorial until Nathan's inquisitive minding.

Cheers. :)

• From now, if trying it, you can have BPM set to 40 to 50 to slow down everything on Link. So you can verify AUFX.PUSH's action. Hvae opportunity to hear how it react to the DM2 kicks.

• edited June 2016

Now you can try different kicks tempo with PUSH internal adjustment. And try different kicks patterns.

Or, now move on to 2 synths with 4 channels Fugue Machine chord progression and variations on. Try SynthMaster... try Frekvens fx on synth fx... Lots trying. Maybe Moodscaper background with...

Then, buy RUIS AU extension, have different kicks sound synthesis on Modstep and PUSH.

One day, AUFX.PUSH coming to AU format. You will hear tremendous music power.

• Awesome stuff thank you!

• edited June 2016

@yaknepper said:
    Awesome stuff thank you!

Thank you, guys.

Btw,

it is not really mandatory to have ratio on such high. It is just convenience to do 48:1. You can have it on 4:1 to hear the differences. It meant for fresh starting. I prefer to have some soft Knee.

• Holy shit Captain. Holy shit.

• edited June 2016

@Nathan,

Now, it is easily to have fun with PUSH.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Holy shit Captain. Holy shit.

That Animoog tune can be further shaped by Kuvert, Frekvens. I think it made two things stand out!

1. Envelope shaping on compressor

2. Music can be adapted to drum patterns

Gated side-chain compressor effect can be done with a gentle harmonizing touch, which is helpful for final gluing tracks for a song. Songs just more rhythmic. Don't need too heavy compressor on it. Now I known part of final gluing people talk about.

• edited June 2016

So far I quite enjoy this method by playing it on FingertipMidi HD and SoundPrism Link. SP Link has the slider to move Animoog frequency filter CC.

• @Nathan, this is that Pro G video for trance tune.

Hey, @GoneKrazy3000, can you create Goa trance tune?

• Can anyone think of a way to do this in Cubasis? I'd like to send multiple tracks (maybe every track except the kick) through AUFX:Push and the kick through the side chain. Cubasis doesn't seem to have sub mixes so I don't know how I would achieve it.

Maybe there is a way to route all my tracks output except the kick to AUM?

• Wow, gone crazily awesome SP Link to Model 15...

• TC-11 presets great on this tutorial.

$ sign preset = awesome!

A Pad,
    Acoustic,
    Arpadggiate,
    Arpeggio Genome,
    Blanket Pad,
    $ BassSpyroid,
    Button Lead,
    Cabin in the woods,
    Cascade Arpeggio,
    Changing Parts,
    $ Chess Network,
    Ciani Arpeggio,
    Curiocity Bells,
    $ Electric Sheep,
    Galaxy Pad,
    Glass Pad,
    Graph Pad,
    $ Gyro Lead SA,
    $ Heat Pad,
    Heliosphere,
    Ice Pad,
    Lilt SA,
    Madness,
    Martian Drums,
    Mono Lead,
    More Rokk,
    $ Neopolitan Pad,
    Obsidian Pad,
    Organ Theater,
    $ Ozricised,
    Pad Thai,
    Quick Chord,
    Reso Choir,
    Response to Pat,
    $ Rosetta Bells,
    Runner Pad,
    $ Saw Circular,
    Saw Mover,
    Seed Cloud Pad SA,
    $ Sine Pad,
    Soma Video SA,
    $ Spyroid,
    Stomp Box Lead,
    Transona Lead,
    $ Tyrell Pad,
    $ Velmwend,
    Venusian Chimes,
    Vocal Twist,
    Yoga Pad.

• @Kaikoo2 Awesome stuff, as always from you, Captain. Besides, I was about starting a discussion, asking for this very precise matter! Serendipity

• https://forum.audiob.us/profile/6472/Kaikoo2>; @Kaikoo2 said:

@Nathan, this is that Pro G video for trance tune.

Pro G is not in the IAP Auria Pro list. Do you know if/where is it available? I thought it may have been incorporated into the app, but I was not able to find it

• edited June 2016

@zarv said:
    https://forum.audiob.us/profile/6472/Kaikoo2>; @Kaikoo2 said:

@Nathan, this is that Pro G video for trance tune.

Pro G is not in the IAP Auria Pro list. Do you know if/where is it available? I thought it may have been incorporated into the app, but I was not able to find it

Larv, save your dime, just use PUSH. i tested DM2 with Animoog today on Auria Pro and Pro G. I tell you I wasn't get quite satisfied with Pro G homework today. I knew how to those stuff work in Pro G. In my opinion, side-chain with PUSH is really very good.

AUFX. PUSH is just single tune tracks. We need to wait a bit of time if really want that PRO G kind of play with AU. Otherwise, record tracks separately in different speed.

So now we talk about speed. There are 1/4th, 1/8th and 1/16th for the kicks.

I give you photo here; remembering it is equally important to adjust the DM2 envelope according to your speed.

For example, 140 bpm with 1/8, you need 214.29 milliseconds for the drum kick according to that website. See DM2 photo here (steps and osc envelope adjustment). So the synth will react fast to the drum kicks. I forgot to adjust bpm from 145 to 140 here.

Auria Pro G can be found in Auria IAP

• For example, 140 bpm with 1/8, you need 214.29 milliseconds for the drum kick according to that website. See DM2 photo here (steps and osc envelope adjustment). So the synth will react fast to the drum kicks. I forgot to adjust bpm from 145 to 140...

Yep, correct. You all may know that the formula to obtain msec from bpm is 60000/bpm. If you consider 1/8s instead of 1/4s (and we are in 4/4 signature) we are faster, actually double faster, so the result

• edited June 2016

@zarv ,

I wasn't have synth running well with Pro G might be that DM2 playing on real time kicks. I will try more to see differences between pre recorded kicks sound. Pro G is high grade stuff. I should not judge it by my own experiences.