Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DM2, Bassline tutorial, melodic drumming technique when pressing a key (AUM example)

edited May 2016 in App Tips and Tricks

Stay tuned... :D

Comments

• Looking forward to it champion Kaikoo

• edited May 2016

This is 3 parts tutorial. It meant to be awesome. The tutorial use 2 - 3 arps and sequencers without Modstep. No crash.

It is for live performance playing and highly reusable setup for audio loop recording productions. Be prepared to have awesome setup.

Basic entry requirements:

US$ 9.99 (F... app) + 4.99 (B... app) + 18.99 (A... app) + 12.99 (S... app) + 4.99 (D... app) + 9.99 (C... app) = US$ 61.94

Tuition fee: DM2 (2 Million Dollar) leftover 2 cents pay in advanced or

stay tuned ... for free lesson. :D

• This is the shortest tutorial I ever watched.

• edited May 2016

Part 1.

Objective: knowing how to randomize DM2

DM2 can receive midi clock and notes on channel 1 at this moment, this feature alone put it a worthy trial to randomize its sequences. First, you got to be right on what notes to midi in into it. Please, don't use Modstep piano keyboard to test it, because that would confuse you. I have already tested on several apps for key board inputs to confirm the corrects notes for DM2.

The correct notes from chromatic keys are:

C1 -1 kick
    D1 -2 snare
    F#1 -3 hhclosed
    A#1 -4 hhopen
    D#1 -5 clap
    C#1 -6 rimshot
    G#2 -7 cowbell
    G1 -8 tom
    C#2 -9 cymbal

After knowing this, it is time to sequence it by using StepPolyArp (SPA). After hours and hours tests on several days, i have decided it is best use StepPolyArp for it. Yes, you can use Cream Mobile, but I found the greater advantage on SPA is you can have total 9 lines (instruments) on it. Plus, you have options to randomizing it by one clicks on whole sequence or randomizing it by each of 9 sequencing lines individually. You can not do that on Cream Mobile. In addition, each of 9 lines has its own note fixed and determined by you at specific midi channel for play.

So let's see the picture on how to set it up.

1-1
    No midi in and midi sync. Only StepPolyArp midi out.

1-2
    Follow the photo to set each of 9 lines on grid out of those 11 lines.

1-3
    When done the SPA, turn to DM2 midi setting page, then press both notes and clock on receiving from SPA. So both little square lighted on. And adjust midi channel under that page to channel 1.

1-4
    Now is time to clear an empty track on STEPS page. Then we choose 'Republic Kit' for those 9 instruments. and click SONG OFF button to off it.

At this moment, we only play it with SPA to familiarize ourselves for how to randomize SPA.

Use SPA velocity button to adjust, and use SPA Patterns button to continue pattern setup and chaining.

One of the most important aspects on SPA is the Speed on top of main page. I set it to 1/8th. Fell free to adjust it to 1/16th or any other number divisions.

'Octaves' I usually leave it to 1. On top right there is a 'Mode' selection, I prick right hand most button for 'chord', I tick that on previous photo. Then follow to save your preset.

Now, it is important when you want to add new patterns. You have to use 'copy' button to copy from 1st of previous patterns. Don't do by pressing add '+' button, because your hand picked 9 lines on grid will not follow your setup on your pattern. Making sure you always use 'Copy' button to copy patterns.

The following 3 photos just to show you the setting in case you wondering what they are, I have ticked nothing for midi in and sync page on SPA.

Btw, the leftover 2 horizontal lines out of 11 lines under the grid is for no using, you need to assign to other channels; such as channel 16. Don't let it seated on global channel 1. Otherwise, you may have chance to trigger them.

Pay your attention to DM2 Mixer Page. Your SPA midi notes follows the order with each light bulb on the mixer to indicate the correct midi notes being sent to DM2.

This setup is perfect for whatever key you press on the SPA keyboard. It is important because when you on Part 2. You has choices to press any key on AUM, the DM2 drum has the sound from from Patterns without being altered.

• I like it so far! Please continue.

• Part 1 finished.

So easy? Right? You got to know I have more than 48 hours time on testing few things to conclude the best shot is SPA for DM2.

Now what is 'melodic drumming'? Stay tuned to Part 2. on AUM.

• edited May 2016

What is good about the SPA randomizer?

1. One click randomizer follows a standard normal distribution deviation. It focus on the center lines in the middle being played most often. We have that line on hhopen instrument, so when you just click once from which you have hhopen being used frequently. Feel free to change the dynamics applied to those 9 lines to suit your preference in the middle.

2. After one click randomizer, you can use individual line to tune part of the whole sequence. If you like particular part being played less or more, you can adjust it on the fly without destroy the whole sequence.

3. You have 16 consecutive patterns to play, it has 4 more patterns than Cream Mobile.

4. SPA randomizer is more sparse. It has fewer notes to putting into the grids by one click feature. It is more scattering, so the sounds would not crowd your sequence.

• The Captain is a Beast (one of the highest forum awards of merit :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The Captain is a Beast (one of the highest forum awards of merit :)

Please, re-read part 1 afterward, I might change a thing. :)

The first proof finished.

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    Part 1.

Objective: knowing how to randomize DM2

DM2 can receive midi clock and notes on channel 1 at this moment, this feature alone put it a worthy trial to randomize its sequences. First, you got to be right on what notes to midi in into it. Please, don't use Modstep piano keyboard to test it, because that would confuse you. I have already tested on several apps for key board inputs to confirm the corrects notes for DM2.

The correct notes from chromatic keys are:

C1 -1 kick
    D1 -2 snare
    F#1 -3 hhclosed
    A#1 -4 hhopen
    D#1 -5 clap
    C#1 -6 rimshot
    G#2 -7 cowbell
    G1 -8 tom
    C#2 -9 cymbal

I used to like SPA with a drum and Effectrix...................shame Sugar Bytes let that die and the rest of the apps wither on the vine these days as so many changes happen and they don't seem interested in the IOS game.

• @RustiK said:

I used to like SPA with a drum and Effectrix...................shame Sugar Bytes let that die and the rest of the apps wither on the vine these days as so many changes happen and they don't seem interested in the IOS game.

Sugar bytes didn't left the ios game, they are busy with the upcoming release of a new synth on desktop, but they recently promised updates (link) and new release for ios (something for iphone too)

check this vid

• MODSTEP QUESTION:

Do you have LINK to MODSTEP tutorial of just basics of setting up IAA synth app(Animoog) and the proper MIDI settings, controls, and tutorial?

I am looking for a basic 101 on setting up MIDI with multiple apps.

I keep getting jammed up at that stage. Very frustrated already.

Especially because for a day I had it. Can't figure out what I did now this am.

• @RustiK said:

Sorry. Disagree. Thinking you're selling SB short here.

• edited May 2016

Part 2.

Objective: learn how to set up one click melodic synth patterns with DM2 drum patterns by using Cream Mobile arp app for melodic patterns on AUM mixing.

What is good about melodic drumming? The name implied that whenever you touch a key on AUM, you have the drum pattern with! One melody key pushes the drum sounding through. If you don't press a key, there is no sound at all. Well, it is artistic that you can have the drum 'kick' kicking in before the melody music or after.

One of the most challenge thing for a music track is how you mix the drum sound with bass, with lead and key. You can have traditional method to put drum track for song before writing the music, or you can have music first, then design your drum patterns. But those are not intuitive enough to perfect the play instantly.

The thing is you got to match those sounds. If you follow this method applied here, you have SPA randomizer to suit your Cream Mobile melody arpeggiation. The tricks of this is that you have plenty of inspirations on the fly on AUM. Audio mixing in this way, you can attend to your mid/side, your stereo, your drum overdrive/resampling with delay and all the fx apps plus recording loop alignments for AShare outputs.

Let's begin...

2-1
    Turn on the both CreamMobile and FingerBassline app... Give Bassline an empty new track

2-2
    Follow the instruntion...
    Turn on Ableton Link,

then the midi setting page, we select 'Cream' for voice input ( no clock, please) on input connections. Gated sequencer off, midi channel on 1 and midi clock jittering reduction on 'On'.

2-3
    Please, select Output Connections to send midi clock to 'Cream'. CreamMobile will listen the Bassline Clock, which is driven by Ableton Link from AUM. You must select 'Cream' for output clock. See photo here.

2-4
    Pay attention to note numbers 12-71, corresponding to C0 to B4. This means Bassline will listen midi notes within that range. This numbers will be putted into Cream Mobile later on.

Now we have done setting on Bassline.

2-5
    On Cream Mobile midi setting... We only use track 1 of Cream Mobile app!

Midi output for track 1 should be Cream Virtual Source and 'no clock sending'!

On tracks 2-4, just leave them to internal synth, if you bought 4 tracks IAP.

2-6
    On Cream Mobile Midi Source...

Tick Cream Virtual Destination, this is for AUM keayboard later on...

Then switch on 'Sync to Input' to receive input clock from Bassline. Then on right hand Sync Source page, tick 'Cream Virtual Destination' to open the gate for clock from Bassline.

2-7
    Finally, we are on main theme of track 1, please light off orange color of track 2-4 on top left.

Brief knowing your Cream Mobile main theme setting....

On cream Mobile track 1 main theme:

Do follow the photo for setting track1.

1. C0 to B4 is the note range for Bassline. The base note C0 here is for my default setting, you can change it to any base notes such as C1 or C3.
    2. We frequntly use 'Order' to adjust the notes on/off. This button is the most important one in this setting. Ou can adjust the Gate, length. I found the TRANSP and SEQ useful here.
    3. I have 8 steps for most of adjusting, the TRANSP can be on 4 steps. Remember, the shorter the phrase, the more meaningful the patterns. Longer steps patterns are not so interesting melodically speaking.
    4. You can use 12 patterns chaining when PatternSequencer is turned on. Let's not focus on it here.
    5. Scales should be Chromatic because the note keying by AUM is Chromatic.
    6. The rate adjustment should be free from your choices.
    7. The main page is trial and error test, feel free to gain knowledge.
    8. Remeber, the upper title shows you, you are on input and output midi channel 1.
    9. The upper right tempo and keyboard are grey out, you should pay attetion of tempo number, it is from Bassline midi clock and driven by Ableton Link.

2-8
    This is my Cream Mobile setting page for reference

• Not finishing part 2 yet, please wait awhile...

• Nice one :) good idea on the SPA as drum sequencer, forget how great that app is. This technique works even better for Attack than DM2 since it responds to all the different pitched notes and also velocity curves, does DM2 respond to velocity yet?

• You need to start an ebook series Captain....

• edited May 2016

2-9
    Now let's move back to SPA and change the 'SYNC' page setting by turning the Ableton Link on 'On'. Nothing being change on 'Midi In' page and we did not tick anything on midi in. And we have SPA midi out for output to DM2 from Part 1..

2-10
    Ok, time to wrapping up...

Turn AUM on and insert both DM2 and Bassline on 2 IAA input, see photo... Here I have mid/side adjusted to 70% side and limiter on DM2. Bassline has AUFX Dub with 70% on mid. With both app chained to Zero Reverb.

2-11
    The Ableton Link here provides the tempo to all apps. You can tweak the arrows up/down to see and hear all apps tempos being changed instantly.

2-12
    AUFX preset setting...

2-13

AUM midi routing...

The keyboard send midi notes to both SPA and CreamMobile. Please don't tick others such as link Cream to Bassline or SPA to DM2. Don't do that!

2-14

Please refer back to DM2...
    We have it midi in by SPA with SPA clcok. SPA has already Ableton linked. You should not have DM2 on Ableton; it would turn the 'Midi in' off.

2-15
    One thing to note... Generally, you can touch any of the AUM key to play, but DM2 has used the key range C1 to G#2. So we better limiting our playing by only C3 to B4 range for Bassline. However, the Cream Mobile 'base' note can be changed to higher setting. So you can have much higher tones from AUM keying. Feel free again to adjust your Cream them match your SPA drum with DM2 synthesis tuning.

Yes, we finished it. Press a key to play. Obviously, you can change to other synths for Cream to drive it. Cream Mobile has the advantage to play chord that SPA hardly catch it up. Both apps have their own esoteric.

Cheers :D

Part 3 is so awesome that utilize the technique on melodic drumming

stay tuned... Maybe tomorrow...

• edited May 2016

Please, try this setup. It takes you to higher artistic level to mix. The ramification is vastly expanding. This is not inventing wheel. It basically a one man band approach without foot pedal. Lots apps can be played with DM2 simplicity. You know a good pair of delay and reverb apps can infuse so much to this setup. The rest of is for yours enjoyment. End part 2 of 'Melodic Drumming'.

• edited May 2016

Oh, the only drawback for SPA from this whole AUM thing is that you have to set the SPA 'Speed' switch manually from 1/8 to 1/16 or any triplets or duplets.

However, Ableton Link on this setup is very convenient for all apps speed.

• @pierre said:

@RustiK said:

Sugar bytes didn't left the ios game, they are busy with the upcoming release of a new synth on desktop, but they recently promised updates (link) and new release for ios (something for iphone too)

check this vid

No fucking way.

Nice.

All on page.

You have set me straight and I like it!

Plus as he put it, balls are in a different place.................LOL

THANKS FOR SHARING

• edited May 2016

Hi forum members,

Part 3 will have some delay! Why? Because it is so awesome. :D

I will show you 4 sequencers playing and

100 % automation song with one finger press. The song will be shown here.

So not just for demo but you have all from my championship. Sorry, too arrogant. ;)

You guys will learn the best from me. Hahahaha... Wait, be patience.

• edited May 2016

Btw, I don't need that Korg Volca competition. Should give real Model 15. Hehe.

Modstep alone can not compete,

We are Auidobus underground! >:)

• edited May 2016

Hello,

This is tutorial sound track, 100% automation without post modifications.

Tomorrow will write Part 3 tutorial on it. Thank you for listening. :)

• edited May 2016

@Kaikoo2 said:

Part 3.

Objective: learn the Ableton Link with midi route, and program change (PC value) changed by Modstep automation, played by Fugue Machine then sending audio back to AUM.

Demo song ingredients: 15 apps used including AudioShare.

Modstep: control program change value and automation on scenes and clips

StepPolyArp: control DM2

Cream Mobile: control Bassline

Fugue Machine: control rhythm, receive program value. Sending notes (no clock sending) value to StepPolyArp, Cream Mobile, DRC, Animoog.

AUM: receive audios and record the sound

3-1
    AUM photos: shows the 4 synth apps in order of midi channels

3-2
    Midi route is the hardest part for this setup. If you understand this part alone, will have no problem at all for whatever apps using.

Firstly, what or which app is the clock driver? We must decide the clock source! AUM doesn't have clock. Fugue has clock, but in this case, itself being driven by Modstep, why should you have Fugue sending clock to other apps? In addition, there is Abletopn Link inter-related with.

So one must decide the clock source. The clock source app doesn't need to be notes sending app. Both notes and clock value can be sent to different apps simultaneously.

If destination app has Ableton Link on 'On'. Remember it doesn't need a clock unless it needs the start and stop values.

In this demo case:

*1 SPA: (channel1) needs a tempo but it doesn't need a clock. So turn on Ableton Link and let SPA driving DM2.

DM2 has Link, but if you turn Link on, you can not receive clock.

*2 Cream Mobile: (channel 2) it doesn't have Ableton Link, so it does need a clock from Modstep. On other hand, it also needs notes' value from Fugue then send its feedback to Bassline.

$$$ this photo show Cream 'midi source' needs Fugue notes' value

$$$ midi sync with 'Cream virtual destination' driven the clock by Modstep

$$$ 'Cream virutal source' sending to Bassline. No clock to Bassline!

Bassline has Link, so turn it on. Don't let it receive clock from Cream, in this case, I have Cream Mobile off the sending of clock to Bassline. Just receive voice input from Cream.

*3 DRC: (channel 3) it has Ableton, so turn on Link then select channel 3 without sync clock.

*4 Animoog: (channel 4) it has no Link. So Modstep provides clock and Fugue provides notes' value.

*5 Fugue Machine: has Link but I off it letting Modstep provides clock for Fugue playhead start and stop. In addition, Fugue just send notes to 4 separate channels.

*6 AUM has Link. So turn Link on. It needs tempo linked with Modstep and all other Link enable apps. So when you record the audio track, press recoring buttons first, then flip to Modstep to play the start of scene 1 to begin the chaining of all scenes. Then each Modstep scenes determined by how many clips inside that scene to cascade the looping processes.

In addition, AUFX apps need that linked tempo info to process fxs.

3-3
    Program Change value and Automation

Modstep is our control center for clock. Itself is Ableton linked. It send clocks to apps which has no Link tempo. It send start/stop to drive Fugue. It also send PC values to Fugue for sequence presets, send PC value to Animoog to change synth presets, and send PC value to SPA to change patterns numbers.

It is paramount importance to Fugue by change its PC value. Without that midi command you can not have an automatic play for different melody. That is boring if only play one kind of tunes. You provide a number by tapping Modstep scenes to open the windows to indicate what Fugue preset number is (making sure you add 1 digit number to Modstep PC value for Fugue, Animoog, and minus 1 digit number to Modstep for SPA. It all depends on apps. A trial and error process.

The photos below here give ideas how that is the cases.

As seen here, Modstep need to provide an 'io' setting for channels. Fugue has channel 5 for it. Others just follow previous track channel numbers.

When you have your track on temporary stop for sudden tune, even that sudden music stops also need an empty presets for them on both Modstep scene and on Fugue preset saving.

Now, obviously you are not only have to decide the clock to send, you also need to tick CC circle on Modstep setting to tell Modstep for those Program Change PC value.

It is elaborative, the processes. However, considering you are not inserting midi notes and random thought for rhythms, and audio loop repeating fixes, you have a heaven that Fugue Machine is powerful for complex cycles to loop programs by values. Your DM2 has powerful SPA for one click simulation. You can insert any different PC value with each part of Modstep scenes. Animoog or other synths can have different instruments even thought you only have 4 channels.

I did not push the demo for more complexities to include modulations on CC and AUM mixer faders. I think the points had made here for demos.

For this demo music, you seeing and knowing I have no temporary stop for Bassline. It is because I don't want to use Cream Mobile Patterns Sequencer for changes. It is just so confusing if I add lots more for tutorial. DRC provides Silk Strings preset for demo song.

Sometimes, there will be glitches and clipping if iPad memory exhausted. And many times you have all setting on standby, so you have to resuscitate those apps.

To developers, I hope you have better folder management if PC values valuable to your synth presets. No one person use those long ago, now users are expecting those features.

This demo, I have no step by step photos for you due to the complexities here. It is a general guide to let you know how a 100 % automatic song can be recorded.

End.
    Cheers

• edited May 2016

All 3 parts done now. If difficulties occurred in your tutorial practice by following the apps used here, I will answer your messages for this whole settings. So you won't miss opportunities to learn the processes. Thank you and welcoming. :)

• edited May 2016

@Alexandernaut ,

If you see me my tutorial here, you can see I am struggling with Fugue Machine without preset folders.

FM is obvious a song building machine with program change value. For every little tweak on all parameters, each preset can be part of whole song.

Hoping this folder feature with Chromatic key scale coming with update.

Thank you so much for your attention here. :)

• Captain, you must convert this effort into your day job :) I am going to be incredibly old school and print out your offering...trees will be killed, but in the service of small art....good effort.

• edited May 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Captain, you must convert this effort into your day job :) I am going to be incredibly old school and print out your offering...trees will be killed, but in the service of small art....good effort.

The lessons from here might not be your taste I was afraid of. It is meant for midi users.

There are two kind of guys in the past. One is audio looper; the other is midi editor. I am writing this for a third kind of new guy.

You don't need midi editing. You don't need audio strumming. You are only an arranger who's job is to listening, switching, and fun at doing it. This is one of futuristic approach because Fugue has it all controlled. My genuine saying for melodic drumming lesson.

:) <3

• @Kaikoo2 thanks for the tutorial, very inspiring. Funny how you use all my fav apps.