Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Automate tempo changes?

I have been using the Clyphx plug-in for Ableton Live to get smooth tempo changes when I need them. For those who aren't familiar, Clyphx has a "RAMP BPM" feature that lets you set a target BPM and the number of the bars the transition should take and then takes over. It's slick!

So, my question: is there an iOS app that has a similar feature? Specifically I'd like to control a smooth tempo transition via a MIDI CC.

Comments

• ^^
    Another feature for the yet to be developed Tempo Control app

• If there's an app that have a midi learn for tempo, then you should be able to automate it with a controller app. I'm not sure one exists though. Ideally, it would be a Link enabled app.

• Metronom - The groovy Speed and Rhythm Trainer by Thomas Arndt
    https://appsto.re/gb/WHY75.i

Can change between 2 tempos over a fixed number of bars.

• Auria Pro has a tempo track that presumably can MIDI sync to other apps via IAA, AB, or even just plain MIDI clock. You can draw automation points to control tempo changes.

• Thanks for the responses; all good suggestions! However, I failed to mention one of my other requirements: the solution needs to support Link.

• edited May 2016

what apps you wanna use it with?

• This sounds like a feature I would also like in iOS.

I actually do perform using dynamic tempo shifts as you describe already, but in a manual way. It's easy with link! I just use the 'File' page on Patterning and you can perform Link-wide tempo ramps by swiping at the tempo setting. I also use more accurate/immediate tempo shifts inside Modstep using various tempos across different scenes.

This is functional enough to get the job done, but a tempo ramp option would also be an amazingly useful feature! @Nerk ;)

ps.
    When using tempo changes in Modstep, I've found that clips can become 'juxtaposed' by a beat, and the clock of Modstep needs to be started then stopped again to correct it. Maybe useful info for Modstep devs.

• @OscarSouth ,

You calling wrong guy! Modstep dev is @Nerk_ ,

Not this person @Nerk

I saw your wrong calling many times.

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    @OscarSouth ,

You calling wrong guy! Modstep dev is @Nerk_ ,

Not this person @Nerk

I saw your wrong calling many times.

Thanks for the correction.

• edited May 2016

@kobamoto said:
    what apps you wanna use it with?

For live use, I mainly use looping apps like Loopy, Blocs Wave, LP5, but I've recently started using Linked effects and generators/samplers, as well.

I'm hopeful that a dev is going to solve the "live gigging app for iOS". I'm thinking something like a lighter version of Ableton Live that concentrates narrowly on a smart set list that allows the live user to power through a set list using only MIDI PCs (or CCs). The program change per scene (or session) would load AB state of various apps, loops to be used in the scene/session, and the default tempo. My new twist described here would allow a smooth BPM transition between scenes/sessions.

I think @Sebastian and @Michael could probably nail this somewhere between AB3 and Loopy Masterpiece... A boy can dream! :*

• yep it's a mystery why after all of this time there is no ableton live, no monome, for ios, or a sample slicer like the one Jonatan Liljedahl is hopefully going to create....it's like there's a conspiracy :D

anyways the app we love to hate allows you to set a different tempo for each sequence and you can trigger those sequences live via the pad sequence trigger mode, might be useful

• @kobamoto said:
    yep it's a mystery why after all of this time there is no ableton live, no monome, for ios, or a sample slicer like the one Jonatan Liljedahl is hopefully going to create....it's like there's a conspiracy :D

anyways the app we love to hate allows you to set a different tempo for each sequence and you can trigger those sequences live via the pad sequence trigger mode, might be useful

I'm not sure about putting the investment in said app. Time/effort, not money.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@kobamoto said:
    yep it's a mystery why after all of this time there is no ableton live, no monome, for ios, or a sample slicer like the one Jonatan Liljedahl is hopefully going to create....it's like there's a conspiracy :D

I'm not sure about putting the investment in said app. Time/effort, not money.

It's not really that hard in reality and there's enough tutorial material about nowadays. It's 10000x easier than any studio DAW or Win/OSX performance tool in existence.

I think fortunately that people are slowly starting to treat Modstep for what it is (a professional performance tool in active development) rather than what it's not (a 10 minute instant gratification gimmick).

However, I do believe that as a professional tool that Modstep should have a predefined purpose and use case. As an impulse buy, it's always going to be a gamble.

Just spreadin' the gospel ;)

• @OscarSouth said:
    It's not really that hard in reality and there's enough tutorial material about nowadays. It's 10000x easier than any studio DAW or Win/OSX performance tool in existence.

I think fortunately that people are slowly starting to treat Modstep for what it is (a professional performance tool in active development) rather than what it's not (a 10 minute instant gratification gimmick).

However, I do believe that as a professional tool that Modstep should have a predefined purpose and use case. As an impulse buy, it's always going to be a gamble.

That's helpful. I should probably give it a fair shake. How do you use modstep live?

• automating tempo changes is a bit difficult. It's relatively easy in certain DAW's, but needs a computer. And it's fairly easy to print tempo changes to tape. But it would be good if there was an Ableton Link-enabled app with programmable smooth ramps for tempo change. I think it's possible to do in Lemur with MIDI clock, might have a look at it some day ...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@OscarSouth said:

That's helpful. I should probably give it a fair shake. How do you use modstep live?

I don't do a lot of midi note sequencing as I use different banks of pads and dials from an MPD32 for most sound generation/modulation stuff. It is handy to have that function available however and I expect that I'll use it more in the future as arrangements become more and more elaborate. Mostly, I use it for tempo changes and hits/accents or extra layers of rhythm arrangement to compliment 'beats' coming from Patterning. I'm beginning to play more with automated modulation and I imagine that's going to become a mainstay in performance.

• @OscarSouth said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@OscarSouth said:

I don't do a lot of midi note sequencing as I use different banks of pads and dials from an MPD32 for most sound generation/modulation stuff. It is handy to have that function available however and I expect that I'll use it more in the future as arrangements become more and more elaborate. Mostly, I use it for tempo changes and hits/accents or extra layers of rhythm arrangement to compliment 'beats' coming from Patterning. I'm beginning to play more with automated modulation and I imagine that's going to become a mainstay in performance.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. Does ModStep allow the tempo to change gradually? Or is it pretty much a whiplash "from 115 BPM to 150 BPM RIGHT NOW!" type of thing?

• @Kaikoo2 Mr. @OscarSouth is the shogun of modstep, fyi.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

Got it, thanks for the explanation. Does ModStep allow the tempo to change gradually? Or is it pretty much a whiplash "from 115 BPM to 150 BPM RIGHT NOW!" type of thing?

Whiplash, more or less. Link seems to handle it well although apps are case by case. I've had Modstep clips go out of time by a beat and am just in the habit of performing a quick 'stop/start' without breaking tempo to fix it. Not an ideal solution, but it is possible.

For smoother tempo changes I use Patterning's tempo to perform a manual ramp. It's quite easy to slowly swipe the tempo up or down to a ballpark and then use a Modstep scene at the end to hit the mark precisely. The Modstep scene isn't necessarily needed, but it's useful to have available in case you want to land on/get it back to a specific tempo or such like.

• edited May 2016

that's a good idea with approaching the tempo with one app and then going to a specific tempo with another app. With Link this is possible. Such a great tool, Ableton Link.

Many apps allow smooth tempo changes, it's rather a question of how big the touch area is. For abrupt spontaneous tempo changes I found two apps useful: Studiomux and Korg SyncKontrol. With Studiomux you have BPM decimals where you can instantly switch from 80 to 110 or from 124 to 224 for example. SyncKontrol has a rotating knob, good for quick ramps, as well as for fine control. Both apps have Link, although the latter has no MIDI but instead audio clock out.

• Jam Maestro

Very Cool Automation of TEMPO feature

• @RustiK said:
    Jam Maestro

Very Cool Automation of TEMPO feature

Not familiar with this and I don't see anything about tempo changes in the videos I watched. Can you elaborate?