Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• @Audiohub said:
    I would also vote for an extended range for the 921b mod inputs!
    Doing this would REALLY extend the functionality of the system, and make the 921b oscillators so much more useful in those situations. Do we really need to slavishly recreate the original harware's limited range?
    PLEASE consider this Moog and Geert!

Of course, you can modulate the standard frequency input of the 921a driver with the big standalone 921 oscillator (using the Auxillary out is especially effective here because it has a larger output and plus and minus outs) and you will get much deeper FM, but then you lose the standalone LFO capability of the 921. It's the same situaltion for sync sounds...instead of syncing the 921b oscillators together, sync one or both to the big 921 (or vice versa) and use the standard Frequency inputs to get some larger sync travel (but again lose LFO capability).

I've been using the MidiLFO app to externally modulate the Moog 15, and this is VERY useful for restoring some of this functionality. This app does all of the major waveforms (including sample and hold), has four LFO outs, and has lots of interesting internal ways to cross modulate the waveforms.
    It's a very good companion piece to the 15. With it you can get lots of cool PWM, and modulate interesting stuff like the time input of the Delay module for everything from chorus-like animation to major sweeping pitch and time modulation. You just need to choose and set up the appropriate CC numbers and destinations, and Moog has made this very easy to do here.

This is less convenient than having everything internal to the 15 app (no instant preset gratification, ya gotta patch stuff up each time) but very powerful nontheless. I had suggested to the MidiLfo developer a while back that he should also make an app that adds more programmable Midi envelope generators. Perhaps I'll try contacting him again...the 15 would the logical mate for something like this.

These sorts of weird limitations and paradoxes are not just a phenomenon of the IOS app, they are also very much present in the hardware units as well, even in the bigger systems. Part and parcel of the modular experience is finding a clever way around seeming limitations to realize the sounds you imagine. In hardware land, those with circuitry and soldering skills can sometimes create their own mods to solve thse problems...here in the IOS world, we're dependent on the software developers to help push things along.

True Synth Geeks here might find my (occasionally updated) blog interesting, as it shows some Moog modular and other related synth hardware and discusses various applications and modifications that were done over the years.
    www.synthguy.com

One of the aims of the Model 15 app in the current version is to make the main cabinet as close to the original as possible, quirks and limitations included. As you rightfully say, often these limitations fuel creative solutions and inventions, often proper to the sound of a particular instrument. We wanted this to be part of the experience.

We do hear what you're saying and are making note of it.

• edited May 2016

What are the in app purchases for the Moog?
    Gives a reference on the App Store but cannot see what they are.

Seen them now far too busy messing and my eyes got distracted!

I would just like to to say thank you Moog, very nice!! :-)

• @Nu2moro
    Just preset packs ATM.

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Kaikoo2 said:
    This is a helpful tool to understand Moog Model 15 knobs doing.

I try (hard) not to be unwilling to learn here as there is so much to learn, but I read down to spectrum plot and could not guess how this would help me write songs with 15. I know you know it does :), but for someone who just likes to find the right noise, takes a preset and moves a few cables and knobs around until his ears say ah....that's it.....how would I benefit from going to Kaikoo College on this kind of thing?

I am not being flippant; honest question Captain.

I knew and expect you ask this kind of question!

For a casual user, we don't need this oscilloscope thing. For a true Moog pro, they know theory and they know which knobs to turn. But to learn to run faster, one needs to know how to walk properly. For a new Moogy who going deeper such as I am, I don't expect to walk into forest without arrows and signs.

Oscilloscope is a way to see through how the wave or combined waves changing before getting lost. It helps you to get a U turn before you proceed every different paths. You can go a certain path with your armed ears and memories, you can decide whether you need to dial into that path! It is like 'what-if' scenario, you can then correct few steps back then proceed to next path.

The benefit of using this type of modular (Moog) is that there is no maths to confuse you. There is no way to put you out of the game with mocking on you. You can even just put a square wave then arp it with drum machine, people will deem you as a Moogy, because they respect your using it as a art forms. But then how do you sculpting it like Mr. Isao Tomita, you should learn to dial into it with cables. If you mess around the cables, well, you had better to walk it step by step. Yes, you can make so proudly bass and lead to say you did and pretend you are top it above and brag it about your achievement. Well, I will say you are a lier to yourself, not to others. So that is why you can not get your result twice. Yes, you can get it the third time, fourth time...fifth times to one hundred times. Then you become great live performers. I only ask you a question, do you need to got lost so many times to know your ways and paths? There are hard ways, and there are easier ways. You will get quicker to see oscilloscope with ears.

I don't think the pros can do diagnosing what wave forms Animoog you put it on in the mix! But I do convincing myself what they want to achieve with their armed knowledge on knobs with cables. So just another tool to help you into the forest.

This app (oscilloscope) has low battery consumption, 1% on Air2 I guess, but need some memory space with. I want to live with M15, so I guess I will test knobs and dial into before getting into confusing state of mind. I have greater control with armed knowledge about any modulars. So buy M15 is a good choice for any beginner to synthesizers.

Cheers.

Classic Captain!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Kaikoo2 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Kaikoo2 said:
    This is a helpful tool to understand Moog Model 15 knobs doing.

I try (hard) not to be unwilling to learn here as there is so much to learn, but I read down to spectrum plot and could not guess how this would help me write songs with 15. I know you know it does :), but for someone who just likes to find the right noise, takes a preset and moves a few cables and knobs around until his ears say ah....that's it.....how would I benefit from going to Kaikoo College on this kind of thing?

I am not being flippant; honest question Captain.

I knew and expect you ask this kind of question!

For a casual user, we don't need this oscilloscope thing. For a true Moog pro, they know theory and they know which knobs to turn. But to learn to run faster, one needs to know how to walk properly. For a new Moogy who going deeper such as I am, I don't expect to walk into forest without arrows and signs.

Oscilloscope is a way to see through how the wave or combined waves changing before getting lost. It helps you to get a U turn before you proceed every different paths. You can go a certain path with your armed ears and memories, you can decide whether you need to dial into that path! It is like 'what-if' scenario, you can then correct few steps back then proceed to next path.

The benefit of using this type of modular (Moog) is that there is no maths to confuse you. There is no way to put you out of the game with mocking on you. You can even just put a square wave then arp it with drum machine, people will deem you as a Moogy, because they respect your using it as a art forms. But then how do you sculpting it like Mr. Isao Tomita, you should learn to dial into it with cables. If you mess around the cables, well, you had better to walk it step by step. Yes, you can make so proudly bass and lead to say you did and pretend you are top it above and brag it about your achievement. Well, I will say you are a lier to yourself, not to others. So that is why you can not get your result twice. Yes, you can get it the third time, fourth time...fifth times to one hundred times. Then you become great live performers. I only ask you a question, do you need to got lost so many times to know your ways and paths? There are hard ways, and there are easier ways. You will get quicker to see oscilloscope with ears.

I don't think the pros can do diagnosing what wave forms Animoog you put it on in the mix! But I do convincing myself what they want to achieve with their armed knowledge on knobs with cables. So just another tool to help you into the forest.

This app (oscilloscope) has low battery consumption, 1% on Air2 I guess, but need some memory space with. I want to live with M15, so I guess I will test knobs and dial into before getting into confusing state of mind. I have greater control with armed knowledge about any modulars. So buy M15 is a good choice for any beginner to synthesizers.

Cheers.

Classic Captain!

+1

• Surprisingly the best setup for me has been to load M15 into ModStep and feed ModStep into AUM for mixing and fx. Solid except when changing between apps. Sounds awesome. I was getting clicks when running M15 directly into AUM but none with the above routing for some reason. I was using the M15 delay plus using RP1 in AUM along with a drum track from ModStep Sampler also going into AUM with AUFX:Space. Nice!

• edited May 2016

I'm loving this app, especially on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The extra keys on the keyboard are great for improvising.

Here's a video of the keyboard in action on the larger iPad Pro.

Quick Demo of the Moog Model 15

• @Nu2moro said:
    What are the in app purchases for the Moog?
    Gives a reference on the App Store but cannot see what they are.

Seen them now far too busy messing and my eyes got distracted!

I would just like to to say thank you Moog, very nice!! :-)

There are a few YouTube videos out there from Synth Anatomy that run through the IAP preset packs. I bought them all, and find them to be worth the $$$.

• I finally figured out ASIO4ALL on my computer w/ iConnect MIDI 4+ to get the audio from my iPad through my monitors and sub. Holy hell this sounds fantastic!

• @DavidEnglish said:
    I'm loving this app, especially on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The extra keys on the keyboard are great for improvising.

That's terrific. Nicely done and thanks for sharing with us. Must be honest and say I had The Fear for the full three minutes that the Enormous Thing was going to fall off your knees, but it did not....very inspiring..

• edited May 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Must be honest and say I had The Fear for the full three minutes that the Enormous Thing was going to fall off your knees, but it did not....very inspiring..

I first tried to record the video with my iPad on the floor, but the iPad still moved around. And I couldn't really play it with the tripod legs in the way. I finally settled on the idea that I could sit on the stairs and tilt the camera mounted upside-down, with the tripod just out of reach. I was all a bit of a kluge.

YouTube has an interesting option where you can stabilize the video. I tried it, and it worked quite well to stabilize the iPad. However, the areas outside the iPad seemed to move around. Very surreal.

• @DavidEnglish said:

Hmm, I can't view the video from my phone in safari. Have to check on the ipad

• @MoogMusicInc said:

@soundklinik said:
    I notice a skip in the arp, it will play and suddenly there's a pause and it returns...it stops for a beat and comes back, it's only sound that is not being played, meaning arp continues running.

To reproduce, use the tutorial no.1 and in the last steps of tut. where you get the gated sound run the arp, one note only and one step. (With more notes it seemed to rearrange the notes a bit.)..

I noticed it in the first version but thought maybe it is an envelope somewhere cutting in..or something like that...

We don't seem to be able to reproduce this, could you please send the exact patch this is happening with to [email protected]?

I'm still having this problem. It keeps happening in this basic patch I've created as an example. It is a completely unpredictable, irregular - yet very frequent - occurrence..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwubid2zt9iu9hi/SYNTH 2 OSC PWM.m15p?dl=0

• @sleepless said:

We don't seem to be able to reproduce this, could you please send the exact patch this is happening with to [email protected]?

I'm still having this problem. It keeps happening in this basic patch I've created as an example. It is a completely unpredictable, irregular - yet very frequent - occurrence..

Thanks for sending this patch, does this only happen when Ableton Link is enabled and you're using the arpeggiator? If this is the case, can you try disabling Ableton Link and confirm that what you're experiencing is not happening anymore?

• @MoogMusicInc said:

@sleepless said:

Thanks for sending this patch, does this only happen when Ableton Link is enabled and you're using the arpeggiator? If this is the case, can you try disabling Ableton Link and confirm that what you're experiencing is not happening anymore?

I always have Link enabled. Just tried without Link and it does not happen!

• @sleepless said:
    I always have Link enabled. Just tried without Link and it does not happen!

Wonderful, thanks for confirming. We have a possible fix ready, if you're interested in beta-testing it, please send me your email address in private messaging.

• Amazing playing!

• Cool beans

• edited May 2016

Idea for arp section

Have each drop down menu(sort order, velocity, direction, etc) remain open independently until tapped again to close so that multiple parameters can be open at once. If all are opened and stayed open(dropped down) could then quickly change settings and of course only the parameters you want open would remain(just retap the unwanted to close)

Good/bad idea?

Related note
    Under Step Size, the 1/32 is barely visible on my mini2 in landscape mode.

• @MoogMusicinc, I've noticed that the Delay module is always in stereo ping pong mode. Would we be able to get a mono option? I don't know what the legacy of the module is, and I know you're trying to keep it all original, but the ping pong effect isn't always ideal.

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    The first person to come up with a decent series of tutorial videos is going to be a God.

Look at the Textual Point preset 'Sinepad' by Richard.

This is Amplitude Modulation. I believe the most challenging part of M15 is to understand how to do with those slots! What is the Ac /Dc ? Well, those knowledge can not be easily taught by just one or two videos. You can do mimics but you still don't know the deeper within, so instead of those vids, SOS link provided here should be helpful to understand Richard Devine's preset! Tearing up those cables, get off the noise reverse attenuator and find a way to tune 921B. Well, before you do with that, just some practice on basic tutorial and Moog's manual. You are ready on road to ring mod and sequencing arpeggio.

If you understand more, you would not fooling around M15 with other apps, Moog music has inner nature with your body and soul. So take this modular path and don't listen the fools, M15 will be enjoyable. Ya,that is why I don't copy sound to make music. I will fugue M15, that will be fun.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar00/articles/synthsecrets.htm

Cheat sheet of links to the whole Synth Secrets by Gordon Reid series published in Sound On Sound
    http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/synsec/

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    SOS Synth Secrets articles, refreshing time

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Heh, just replied to an earlier comment of yours with a cheat sheet of links a friend had found recently, didn't realize there was an official index! Thanks!

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    Pata pata patapon.....pon..pon...

Never had a PSP, but if I had bought one, it would have been to play that game!

• edited May 2016

@srcer said:

@Kaikoo2 said:
    SOS Synth Secrets articles, refreshing time

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Heh, just replied to an earlier comment of yours with a cheat sheet of links a friend had found recently, didn't realize there was an official index! Thanks!

Thank you!

And In past, Patapon is my favorite of all time! Hope one day Sony and Jap developer bring it to iOS.

• I've noticed that when you you make the filter oscillate and patch the keyboard into one of the CV inputs, the filter doesn't track the keyboard. It actually overtracks the keyboard (C-C is more like C-E), so running the keyboard output through the Attenuator first and adjusting the output to around 8.5 or 9 makes the oscillating filter track correctly for me.
    Anyone else notice this? I was working lately on crafting a tribute Tomita whistling patch which is what brought it to my attention.

• @Sonicflux said:
    @MoogMusicinc, I've noticed that the Delay module is always in stereo ping pong mode. Would we be able to get a mono option? I don't know what the legacy of the module is, and I know you're trying to keep it all original, but the ping pong effect isn't always ideal.

This is by design, we wanted a stereo delay that did what most people would look for with a minimum amount of tweaking. Note that the extension cabinet (the lower one) are not legacy re-creations, all these modules were specifically created for the app. Maybe in the future we'll add other modules that might do more what you're looking for.

• @Audiohub said:
    I've noticed that when you you make the filter oscillate and patch the keyboard into one of the CV inputs, the filter doesn't track the keyboard. It actually overtracks the keyboard (C-C is more like C-E), so running the keyboard output through the Attenuator first and adjusting the output to around 8.5 or 9 makes the oscillating filter track correctly for me.
    Anyone else notice this? I was working lately on crafting a tribute Tomita whistling patch which is what brought it to my attention.

Things like this is why the original 953 duophonic keyboard has scale and range knobs. It's also one of the reasons why we included additional attenuators in the extension panel of the app.

• Good news! The arp issue mentioned earlier in the thread has been fixed in the beta build Moog sent yesterday :smiley:

• @sleepless said:
    Good news! The arp issue mentioned earlier in the thread has been fixed in the beta build Moog sent yesterday :smiley:

We forum members are best testers. They can not find but we found! They should say thank you to you guys.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Sitting in my wish list waiting for fathers day :D

Same here.

@eross said:

Thanks for sharing SonicState's vid. I've been deliberately hiding from this thread because applust, and now I find this has the arpeggiator I never knew I always wanted to BOOT?!?

Ack! Oop! (Passes out.)