Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• @sleepless said:

@Cliffy said:
    An update just recently appeared...perhaps related.

Perhaps. Bought it now. Had a little play. I'm not one for hyperbole (indeed I do find moving around the modules - even on a 12.9" screen as it isn't full screen like some suggested - a bit fiddly), but the tonal quality is superb.

I struggle to think of a VST/AU with this much low end and creaminess, let alone anything on iOS. Even prefer it to my old Slim Phatty.

And it sits at around 20% CPU usage in AUM on my iPad Pro, so it should be comfortable with a few other apps running ;)

Not full screen. What people were saying is that you can see the whole of the 15s standard modules on screen at once (not the extra modules) :)

• @Fruitbat1919 Indeed, I must apologise as I'd also accidentally zoomed in slightly, so I couldn't see all of the standard modules. So......yeah.......if you have an iPad Pro, this is a no-brainer. Possibly the most specced-out-on-release app I've seen. So polished.

• Just uploaded a modstep template that lets you control every
    single Knob. also includes the ccmap to load into model15 so that you're ready to go. You can grab it here:- https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13332/modstep-midi-cc-templates-new-moog-model-15-template-every-single-knob#latest

Considering the amount of controls it took me a little longer than i expected... :sweat_smile:

• @DaveMagoo said:
    @MoogMusicInc any plans or is it possible to add swing to the arp?

good point,definitely +1 from my side.

• @gonekrazy3000 Brilliant work and many thanks for sharing :)

• edited May 2016

@Crabman said:

@Fitz said:
    Is the 3D Touch just for aftertouch and not for velocity? Does any one know? If so it seems a bit of a wasted opportunity, no?

not wasted opportunity...the 3D touch is a afaik just not able to deliver velocitiy.There is a delay before the effect kicks in (you have to push the screen a little longer to get this effect)and that makes it currently only usable for aftertouch.Maybe next generation...

This is correct. The first event with any pressure information comes at the first touch move callback which is about 15ms after the touch is first registered (1 screen refresh cycle at 60Hz). Unfortunately they tied the touch callback time resolution to the screen refresh rate.

It isn't unusable for velocity just not ideal. Roli's NOISE app uses this technique to trigger its notes and "strike" when on iPhone6S. You can tell because you can actually just barely touch the screen and nothing will sound until you put a slight bit of pressure.

ThumbJam will have it as an option in the pending update (yes, yes, pending too long, but I've almost given up fixing things and will let you have it soon!), as well as the option to use it for aftertouch purposes.

• wimwim
    edited May 2016

@skiphunt said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@skiphunt said:
    Basically, do you strictly use the multiple modules to craft only one final sound that can be played & recorded, or can you also route the individual multiple sound modules into separate channels going elsewhere? From the first part of your reply, I'd say the latter?

You can do both, the AudioBridge allows you to use multiple channels going elsewhere or coming from elsewhere. It's a modular, so flexibility is key! :-)

Oh wow.. that's cool. I was wondering if that was the case. That's a different kettle of fish then. So, you could craft yourself 4 different-sounding synth patches, and then route each of those separately to each of the 4 playheads in Fugue Machine then. Hmmm... this just got a lot more interesting to me. Thank you very much for the clarification.

@skiphunt, Sorry, but I think you're reading a little too much into the replies that you received. Yes, there are four potential sound sound outputs, but each of them isn't like a separate Model 15 in that you could make a full-blown patch like those you've been hearing simultaneously. Its more like you could take subsets of an overall patch and send them to different outputs, such as separate channels in AUM. I'm guessing that the multiple layer sounds you've been so impressed with may have been built up by using the looping recorder. Sure, you can make patches that sound like they have more than one thing going on, but generally most of them are less layered than that.

Also, maybe it's just your way of putting it and you really don't mean what you said, but you can't send audio to Fugue Machine play heads. You can have each play head send Midi notes to a separate Midi channel, and those can control one or many synths. I haven't gotten into Midi control of Model 15 yet, but I'm fairly confident you're imagining a lot more than can be done.

You describe yourself as a Noob. If you decide to get Model 15, I suggest you look at it as something to learn from, and as a single synth that you can get some really good sounds out of. And that mostly from the presets at first. It is a steep learning curve. I have the feeling you're setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment to think of it as anything else.

• Updated, turned off Eco mode, increased buffer to 1024
    Much better. Not sure which or if all the changes made the improvement but I'm sticking with this for now.
    Best iOS I have and I have almost all of them.
    My new top 5 iOS synths for sound and UI would be
    Model15
    Animoog
    Thor
    iMS20
    iVCS3

• @Redo1 said:
    Updated, turned off Eco mode, increased buffer to 1024
    Much better. Not sure which or if all the changes made the improvement but I'm sticking with this for now.
    Best iOS I have and I have almost all of them.
    My new top 5 iOS synths for sound and UI would be
    Model15
    Animoog
    Thor
    iMS20
    iVCS3

Much better? What it meant? Good or not? Still problem there on audio quality?

• @skiphunt said:
    @wim K. Thx

On the other hand, sounds like you've gotten along famously with a certain other complex modular app from a certain Russian developer, which has a far steeper learning curve, so maybe you'll totally rock Model 15. Time will tell. B)

• I notice a skip in the arp, it will play and suddenly there's a pause and it returns...it stops for a beat and comes back, it's only sound that is not being played, meaning arp continues running.

To reproduce, use the tutorial no.1 and in the last steps of tut. where you get the gated sound run the arp, one note only and one step. (With more notes it seemed to rearrange the notes a bit.)..

I noticed it in the first version but thought maybe it is an envelope somewhere cutting in..or something like that...

• edited May 2016

I've noticed a slightly odd thing when mucking about with the patch leads . I'll take a preset as a starting point , and randomly fillde with the knobs and make some connections with the leads while the sound is being triggered by , say , Fugue M . This is my 'haven't read the manual yet ' introductory exploration just to get familiar with the UI before diving into some proper programming . What I've noticed is that I'll have say a nice fat bass sound , and then try patching a couple of modules together will thin out the sound - I don't like that so remove the patch lead - but it doesn't revert to my nice fat sound before the connection was made . This seems to happen quite a lot - I'd expect the original sound to return when I remove a test patch , but it doesn't - it sticks with the changes . I'm sure there's some in-depth logical explanation why this is , but it's weird and not what I've experienced with hardware synths . Doesn't always happen - bit odd - almost feels like it needs a ' refresh ' button to clear changes and revert to the pre - patched sound

• wimwim
    edited May 2016

@soundklinik said:
    I notice a skip in the arp, it will play and suddenly there's a pause and it returns...it stops for a beat and comes back, it's only sound that is not being played, meaning arp continues running.

To reproduce, use the tutorial no.1 and in the last steps of tut. where you get the gated sound run the arp, one note only and one step. (With more notes it seemed to rearrange the notes a bit.)..

I noticed it in the first version but thought maybe it is an envelope somewhere cutting in..or something like that...

I had this happen a few times tonight too.

• @wim said:

@soundklinik said:
    I notice a skip in the arp, it will play and suddenly there's a pause and it returns...it stops for a beat and comes back, it's only sound that is not being played, meaning arp continues running.

Same here. Definitely a bug.

• edited May 2016

Hi,

I bought an app today, I am very satisfied it working so charm for purposes.

I was pissed off by another similar oscilloscope app!

This is a helpful tool to understand Moog Model 15 knobs doing. If you really love playing M15. You need a real proper iOS tool on iPad or iPhone for it.

Glad to promote it to you all!

MC Oscilloscope by Sascha Bienert
    https://appsto.re/tw/2IKVN.i

For a spectrum plot, it is really easy to find one, but for oscilloscope it is hard for a basic.

• @soundklinik said:

We don't seem to be able to reproduce this, could you please send the exact patch this is happening with to [email protected]?

• Bought it. Spent a few hours with it . Love it.
    What possessed me to wait this long to dive in ?
    The Keith Emerson inspired patches bought a tear to my eye.
    Imagine time travelling back to 1973 with this in hand....

• edited May 2016

Folks,

If you read the manual, 902 VCA module signal input and output have opposite signal porality! Do you guys understand it? I mean not the pro modular musicians but You and Me!

If you have oscilloscope plug on and arp on rectangular oscillator! You will understand it. Why important to know it? Because, if you need it later for LFO and other deeper tweaking! You even don't know what voltage level is on! If you don't know the direction, you can not do deeper! So give yourself a chance to have oscilloscope on M15! If you are getting to know more!

I now have total understanding 902 VCA signal in and out holes.

The manual did not tell you the up or down!

See Note section of the photo!

• edited May 2016

@Jes said:
    Bought it. Spent a few hours with it . Love it.
    What possessed me to wait this long to dive in ?
    The Keith Emerson inspired patches bought a tear to my eye.
    Imagine time travelling back to 1973 with this in hand....

Oh! Ye? M15 bought a tear to my eye for Bob Moog! Don't want to play such so sad instrument!

• @sleepless said:

@wim said:

@soundklinik said:

Same here. Definitely a bug.

I was controlling the arp from modstep and it seemed it was not in sync. It was running at the proper tempo through Link but the arp was not locked to modstep. Will have to spend more time with this when I get a chance.

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    This is a helpful tool to understand Moog Model 15 knobs doing.

I try (hard) not to be unwilling to learn here as there is so much to learn, but I read down to spectrum plot and could not guess how this would help me write songs with 15. I know you know it does :), but for someone who just likes to find the right noise, takes a preset and moves a few cables and knobs around until his ears say ah....that's it.....how would I benefit from going to Kaikoo College on this kind of thing?

I am not being flippant; honest question Captain.

• This 'whistle-like' sound should be possible to create using Moog Model 15 but I'm lost wether it's a self-oscillating filter or a sine wave with noise, I'm lost...

Anyone care to give it a shot and share the patch?

Also I'm hoping that in a future version of Model 15 it will be possible to run the arpeggiator as a 'modulation sequencer' and disable the arpeggiator from triggering notes.

• edited May 2016

@MoogMusicInc said:

@soundklinik said:

We don't seem to be able to reproduce this, could you please send the exact patch this is happening with to [email protected]?

You can load the #2 tutorial patch, lock a note, activate arp, 1 note, 1 step, 1/8 speed and listen, sometimes it takes a while, I mean a minute or two...
    If you can't reproduce it I will send you my patch...
    Specs:Air 2 latest iOS running standalone in Eco mode.

• @Audiohub said:
    I've got another question for the Moog guy, although I haven't seen him posting here lately.
    Are you still monitoring this forum?

I've noticed that the most that you can increase the frequency of the two 921b oscillators by using the DC Modulate jacks is just 1 octave up or one octave down. This seems broken, as it severely limits the ability to do useful FM by modulating one 921b with the other, and also really limits the hard sync tonal range if you're modulating the synced oscillator with an envelope generator for that classic sync sound.

On a hardware 921b module, the oscillator can be modulated much farther than this, allowing it to create a much wider range of sounds.

Can this be fixed?

Also, thanks for your previous answer about normalling the inputs of the 3 reversible attenuators. Although I agree that this isn't part of the recreation of a vintage model 15, I still hope that you might consider it in a future update because of its usefulness.

I don't really see this app as a slavish recreation of the 15, because it really is a lot better in a number of ways, what with the Midi and Audio patchbay, the Voltage Controlled delay, Voltage Controlled reversible attenuators (I don't think Moog ever made these for the Modulars, although they certainly should have) and even nice touches like including the hard sync to replace the less useful strong sync that was on the original 15.

There is a neat trick you can use to extend the range of the 921b modulation...
    If you use an app like MidiBridge, you can route the Model 15 Midi Out to the Model 15 Midi In.
    Now, you can route the envelope generator to, say, the CC 16 Midi Out on the Midi panel. If you assign the oscillator Frequency knob to CC 16, now you can go 2 octaves up and down. Better, but still not great.
    You can also assign CC 16 to the Oscillator Range switch (yes, you can assign the same CC# to multiple destinations if you want) and now you can push the frequency up via the envelope generator quite a bit!
    Not very convenient, but for the determined programmer with access to an app like MidiBridge, there are at least some options available.

After i had time to play with it a little i must say that i also wish the mod amount would be deeper then -1v +1v on the 921b.Some FM stuff is always one of the first things i'm trying when it comes to modular synth and while you have more mod depth on the 921 i'm struggling to create usable,harmonic FM content with it.More on the FX side of life.Filter FM sounds great though (but i did not try it with just the self resonating filter yet).I understand that this is a faithful recreation but since there is a lot of other stuff enhanced/added too...i wish there would be a choice for an"extended"mode somehow and someday,

But that's really nitpicking,the sound of this beauty is awesome and the level of polishment (and feature richness) is breathtaking.Many thanks for this true iOS gem!

• edited May 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Kaikoo2 said:
    This is a helpful tool to understand Moog Model 15 knobs doing.

I try (hard) not to be unwilling to learn here as there is so much to learn, but I read down to spectrum plot and could not guess how this would help me write songs with 15. I know you know it does :), but for someone who just likes to find the right noise, takes a preset and moves a few cables and knobs around until his ears say ah....that's it.....how would I benefit from going to Kaikoo College on this kind of thing?

I am not being flippant; honest question Captain.

I knew and expect you ask this kind of question!

For a casual user, we don't need this oscilloscope thing. For a true Moog pro, they know theory and they know which knobs to turn. But to learn to run faster, one needs to know how to walk properly. For a new Moogy who going deeper such as I am, I don't expect to walk into forest without arrows and signs.

Oscilloscope is a way to see through how the wave or combined waves changing before getting lost. It helps you to get a U turn before you proceed every different paths. You can go a certain path with your armed ears and memories, you can decide whether you need to dial into that path! It is like 'what-if' scenario, you can then correct few steps back then proceed to next path.

The benefit of using this type of modular (Moog) is that there is no maths to confuse you. There is no way to put you out of the game with mocking on you. You can even just put a square wave then arp it with drum machine, people will deem you as a Moogy, because they respect your using it as a art forms. But then how do you sculpting it like Mr. Isao Tomita, you should learn to dial into it with cables. If you mess around the cables, well, you had better to walk it step by step. Yes, you can make so proudly bass and lead to say you did and pretend you are top it above and brag it about your achievement. Well, I will say you are a lier to yourself, not to others. So that is why you can not get your result twice. Yes, you can get it the third time, fourth time...fifth times to one hundred times. Then you become great live performers. I only ask you a question, do you need to got lost so many times to know your ways and paths? There are hard ways, and there are easier ways. You will get quicker to see oscilloscope with ears.

I don't think the pros can do diagnosing what wave forms Animoog you put it on in the mix! But I do convincing myself what they want to achieve with their armed knowledge on knobs with cables. So just another tool to help you into the forest.

This app (oscilloscope) has low battery consumption, 1% on Air2 I guess, but need some memory space with. I want to live with M15, so I guess I will test knobs and dial into before getting into confusing state of mind. I have greater control with armed knowledge about any modulars. So buy M15 is a good choice for any beginner to synthesizers.

Cheers.

• edited May 2016

@Samu thanks for posting that! :'( o:)

• edited May 2016

I would also vote for an extended range for the 921b mod inputs!
    Doing this would REALLY extend the functionality of the system, and make the 921b oscillators so much more useful in those situations. Do we really need to slavishly recreate the original harware's limited range?
    PLEASE consider this Moog and Geert!

Of course, you can modulate the standard frequency input of the 921a driver with the big standalone 921 oscillator (using the Auxillary out is especially effective here because it has a larger output and plus and minus outs) and you will get much deeper FM, but then you lose the standalone LFO capability of the 921. It's the same situaltion for sync sounds...instead of syncing the 921b oscillators together, sync one or both to the big 921 (or vice versa) and use the standard Frequency inputs to get some larger sync travel (but again lose LFO capability).

I've been using the MidiLFO app to externally modulate the Moog 15, and this is VERY useful for restoring some of this functionality. This app does all of the major waveforms (including sample and hold), has four LFO outs, and has lots of interesting internal ways to cross modulate the waveforms.
    It's a very good companion piece to the 15. With it you can get lots of cool PWM, and modulate interesting stuff like the time input of the Delay module for everything from chorus-like animation to major sweeping pitch and time modulation. You just need to choose and set up the appropriate CC numbers and destinations, and Moog has made this very easy to do here.

This is less convenient than having everything internal to the 15 app (no instant preset gratification, ya gotta patch stuff up each time) but very powerful nontheless. I had suggested to the MidiLfo developer a while back that he should also make an app that adds more programmable Midi envelope generators. Perhaps I'll try contacting him again...the 15 would be the logical mate for something like this.

These sorts of weird limitations and paradoxes are not just a phenomenon of the IOS app, they are also very much present in the hardware units as well, even in the bigger systems. Part and parcel of the modular experience is finding a clever way around seeming limitations to realize the sounds you imagine. In hardware land, those with circuitry and soldering skills can sometimes create their own mods to solve these problems...here in the IOS world, we're dependent on the software developers to help push things along.

True Synth Geeks here might find my (occasionally updated) blog interesting, as it shows some Moog modular and other related synth hardware and discusses various applications and modifications that were done over the years.
    www.synthguy.com

• edited May 2016

@Audiohub said:
    I would also vote for an extended range for the 921b mod inputs!
    Doing this would REALLY extend the functionality of the system, and make the 921b oscillators so much more useful in those situations. Do we really need to slavishly recreate the original harware's limited range?
    PLEASE consider this Moog and Geert!

Of course, you can modulate the standard frequency input of the 921a driver with the big standalone 921 oscillator (using the Auxillary out is especially effective here because it has a larger output and plus and minus outs) and you will get much deeper FM, but then you lose the standalone LFO capability of the 921. It's the same situaltion for sync sounds...instead of syncing the 921b oscillators together, sync one or both to the big 921 (or vice versa) and use the standard Frequency inputs to get some larger sync travel (but again lose LFO capability).

I've been using the MidiLFO app to externally modulate the Moog 15, and this is VERY useful for restoring some of this functionality. This app does all of the major waveforms (including sample and hold), has four LFO outs, and has lots of interesting internal ways to cross modulate the waveforms.
    It's a very good companion piece to the 15. With it you can get lots of cool PWM, and modulate interesting stuff like the time input of the Delay module for everything from chorus-like animation to major sweeping pitch and time modulation. You just need to choose and set up the appropriate CC numbers and destinations, and Moog has made this very easy to do here.

This is less convenient than having everything internal to the 15 app (no instant preset gratification, ya gotta patch stuff up each time) but very powerful nontheless. I had suggested to the MidiLfo developer a while back that he should also make an app that adds more programmable Midi envelope generators. Perhaps I'll try contacting him again...the 15 would the logical mate for something like this.

These sorts of weird limitations and paradoxes are not just a phenomenon of the IOS app, they are also very much present in the hardware units as well, even in the bigger systems. Part and parcel of the modular experience is finding a clever way around seeming limitations to realize the sounds you imagine. In hardware land, those with circuitry and soldering skills can sometimes create their own mods to solve thse problems...here in the IOS world, we're dependent on the software developers to help push things along.

True Synth Geeks here might find my (occasionally updated) blog interesting, as it shows some Moog modular and other related synth hardware and discusses various applications and modifications that were done over the years.
    www.synthguy.com

Good read.

I have found this limitation too, good reminding to put midiLFOs to greater use!

• edited May 2016

Well, @JohnnyGoodyear and other bad influences, my next recording will feature model 15. Already did a 2 minute in the making 8 bar GarageBand piece, 80's polysynth with a little filter tweak and deep seq bass with a quick change to the release time... Now to really figure this out later...I'm doing sound all day so later.

This sounds quite awesome! You knew you'd get me... ;-)

Thanks to Magnus, the wonderful GarageBand drummer...if cutting Crew calls and wants a royalty tell them I've never heard them before.