Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• I also like Z3ta. Maybe I need to keep that too :)

• @wim said:

@asnor said:
    They should make it so that if you move your ipad, the cables sway. :smile:

They do, just not very much. You can toggle that on and off in the settings.

Sweet!

• @Seangarland said:

@Nathan said:

@Kaikoo2 said:
    Well, the future of sonic mayhem will be controlled by genetic algorithms and optimized by fuzzy logic, it is easy to do so for your curiosity by your command! The left over on the equation is your own inner artistic desire to realizatdion. It is up to you to pick your delight! I don't against you, but found you a good person!

>

Sounds like a quote from Professer Stanley J. Krammerhead III junior, a visiting professor of applied narcotics from the university of Please Yourself California - The Rutles. :)

More seriously, I too have been listening to the demos, trying to work out why lots of people think it's great. Yes, the sound is superb, and the controls a beauty to behold. My initial impression was that this would be an incredible synth. But many synths I already have seem to produce a much more varied range of sounds. Is it me, or have more varied demos just not been made yet?.

I think that part of the appeal of this app is that it is a specific emulation of a classic hardware synth. It doesn't promise to do everything, but merely to emulate the Model 15 very well. Synths like Thor, Tera Synth, and even Magellan have likely much more to offer as far as sonic possibilities. But, if you want the "classic" Moog sound (which Animoog never really pretended to be), this is probably the best app for that. Plus, in my mind, this interface is much more intuitive than those in Audulus or zMors Modular (which again, can do much more than this app can, due to the addition of more complex sequencers, math modules, etc.).

I agree!

• @lovadamusic said:

@Nathan said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Yep. Exactly what @Seangarland said.

I think it's the quality thing - not anything else.

>

Having now seen the review from Doug at TSTR, I can see and hear the quality of this app, fabulous for those who are into that classic Moog sound. It was also apparent to me that the specifics of what it does - the type and range of sound it emulates - is not something I'd use more than the IOS synth collection I already own.

So Moog are probably right with thier strategy, as sonic dabbler's like me, with just a casual interest, aren't going to be easily tempted. Thus pitching to and pricing for those who revere the hardware version, properly appreciate this app and want its specific focus, makes sense.

I believe it's aimed at anyone who wants to add a high quality and unique voice to their sound palette, or one who is interested in learning modular synthesis on the virtual equivalent of a real Moog instrument---or both. The pricing probably reflects the work that went into the making of the app and what the developers think is appropriate for the iOS market. It's a groundbreaking tool on iOS that doesn't lend itself to the pricing of a professional app on the one hand, and a cheap impulse buy for those who don't really want it on the other.

I agree with this.

• @Vorgon said:
    hI Folks: One question only......

I have an iPad 4 which is unlikely to be replaced until 2017. However, my iPhone 6 can take it. The question is, is it worth getting only for the phone?

I have it and like it with my iPhone 6 Plus. :smile:

• @Dham said:

@skiphunt said:

That dude does the best reviews. Really breaks it down to a point where I can get to the gist of it and make an informed buying decision without succumbing to all the user hype that sometimes borders on rapturous spiritual epiphany. ;) I mean, come on... it's just a high quality modular synth, not the dawn of the age of Aquarius or anything.

The review helped clarify for me that I don't need this app... but, I definitely want this app. And, I can likely use the "learning tool" angle for some kind of internal justification. :)

Will likely be one of those splurge purchases when I get a little extra dough I wasn't expecting, or forego some show I might've gone to see for likely more money anyway.

I'd grab it now, but I'm planning on traveling soon and wouldn't take my iPad on a backpacking trip. My iPhone is only a 5 so I wouldn't be able to play with it anyway. Though, if I did take my iPad... laying in the woods in a hammock, or alone under a mesquite tree in the Mexican desert... chewing on a little peyote, and tweaking some M15 knobs and cables... sounds kind of mind-expandingly awesome.

Dude, why are you making this seem like a major life decision? Either you get it or you don't. All of this psychological posturing, wrangling, "internal justification", etc. is really not necessary. You mock the "hype" of others who saw fit to buy the product and are enjoying it yet seem to have some sort of weird infatuated jealousy. Just say no.

"Dude", just complimenting musicappblog for a great review that actually sorted it all out for me instead of having to cut through the cloud of other's enthusiasm. Not a life decision at all. If I had the same enthusiasm as other's here, I simply would have bought it. I don't need to forego my mortgage for buy a $30 app, thankfully. :) For me, it's not essential right now. Cool app. A little pricey, but likely worth it. It's just now I know the heavens likely won't open up and bath me in sonic Moog joy. It's a cool looking synth for sure, and I'll likely treat myself to it at some point. But for now I'm going to pass. That's no slam on you or anyone else who's enraptured with this app. To each their own.

I'm glad that so many are getting so much joy from this app. I was hoping maybe I'd feel the same way and could enjoy the same level of joy, but it's not that big a deal to me. Maybe because I don't have the legacy context of Moog hardware as a reference. To me it's just a cool app that looks like it was very well produced and makes great sound. Possibly a good training tool. That's about it.

I don't have any more questions about this app. Read some reviews, and listened to the soundtest room. Unless I have a specific question about this app if I decide to get it, I'll pop in and see if anyone can answer. Otherwise, I won't trouble you with my current lack of enthusiasm. ;)

• Fsck these two guys polluting a thread on a forum dedicated to iOS must making apps.
    Pretty needless.

• @Nathan said:

@skiphunt said:
    I don't have any more questions about this app. Read some reviews, and listened to the soundtest room. Unless I have a specific question about this app if I decide to get it, I'll pop in and see if anyone can answer. Otherwise, I won't trouble you with my current lack of enthusiasm. ;)

>

Well said, @skiphunt. Moog a Model 15 is undoubtedly a great app, for those whose workflow it fits. But joining the fan club isn't mandatory. ;)

For the record, I have absolutely no issue with this app's pricing, evident quality, or anything at all.

It's a cool app that I'll eventually get I'm sure.

To the person who said I was jealous or something.. yeah, I guess I'm jealous of the enthusiasm. I'd like to be that enthused too. That's why I asked a bunch of questions looking for that magic "aha!" moment so I could get all excited too. Just not feeling it.

I was actually attempting to bow out of this thread until I had a specific question. Some of you are awfully aggressive and angry toward anything other than glory for this app. It's kind of disturbing how aggressively some of you want to defend this app and squelch anyone asking legitimate questions about it. I don't get that. It's just an app, why get all agro over it?

That being said, I did think of another question specifically about the app's function. I don't know much at all about modular synthesis OR Moogs for that matter. I've said as much several times so please excuse my ignorance with this question.

When you're making these very interesting sounds with the Moog 15, they sound like they are several sounds playing at once coming from different modules. Almost like a mini-orchestra of separate instruments.

Could you route each of those interesting sounds separately via multiple midi channels to something like Xynthesizr and have each different module's sound playing as a separate instance? I'm probably not describing that very well.

How about this.. like when you load up an AU such as the Viking Synth in AUM into separate channels, and each has it's own preset or custom tweaking... so that ultimately you're playing a dozen different sounding Viking synths all from different channels? That still likely isn't clear, but maybe someone will know what I'm try to ask.

• @skiphunt said:

That dude does the best reviews. Really breaks it down to a point where I can get to the gist of it and make an informed buying decision without succumbing to all the user hype that sometimes borders on rapturous spiritual epiphany. ;) I mean, come on... it's just a high quality modular synth, not the dawn of the age of Aquarius or anything.

The review helped clarify for me that I don't need this app... but, I definitely want this app. And, I can likely use the "learning tool" angle for some kind of internal justification. :)

Will likely be one of those splurge purchases when I get a little extra dough I wasn't expecting, or forego some show I might've gone to see for likely more money anyway.

I'd grab it now, but I'm planning on traveling soon and wouldn't take my iPad on a backpacking trip. My iPhone is only a 5 so I wouldn't be able to play with it anyway. Though, if I did take my iPad... laying in the woods in a hammock, or alone under a mesquite tree in the Mexican desert... chewing on a little peyote, and tweaking some M15 knobs and cables... sounds kind of mind-expandingly awesome.

John is the best in the business when it comes to written app reviews. He absolutely knows his stuff, and his reviews are as thorough as can be. I read all his posts, even if I have no intention of buying the app. Plus, he's just a great dude.

I would take this opportunity to ask everyone (not just you Skip) to buy your apps through your favorite blog/YouTube vid maker/Audiobus page, since when you click "through" their link, they get a small cut of the sales price, and it doesn't cost you anything extra. If you like what they are doing, help them keep the lights on by purchasing through their sites!

• edited May 2016

I believe I was getting consistent frequent crackling when using a 3 or 4 note arp sequence held and tweaking.
    iPad mini2 ios9.3.1
    EDIT: yup confirmed. Reset iPad. No background apps, tried Eco mode on and off, tried background audio on/off and turned off cable movement. 3 note arp pops when turning knobs, panning around or opening menus. Is not audible in loop record though.
    Hopefully this can be improved.

• @Seangarland said:

@skiphunt said:

John is the best in the business when it comes to written app reviews. He absolutely knows his stuff, and his reviews are as thorough as can be. I read all his posts, even if I have no intention of buying the app. Plus, he's just a great dude.

I would take this opportunity to ask everyone (not just you Skip) to buy your apps through your favorite blog/YouTube vid maker/Audiobus page, since when you click "through" their link, they get a small cut of the sales price, and it doesn't cost you anything extra. If you like what they are doing, help them keep the lights on by purchasing through their sites!

I especially like how he sums it up at the end for the type of user a particular app may be best suited for. I've made several buying decisions based on his reviews. I didn't know that about buying through blog links. Will definitely start using them from now on. The service some of these cats provide is top shelf.

Also, since you have the Moog 15 app, and don't appear to be angry or aggressive towards me ;) could you take a look at my last post and tell me your opinion about the question I posed about Moog 15? If you'd prefer to answer privately to avoid association that's cool.

Didn't go out tonight as I'd planned. I'd have dropped at least $30 on some eats and a couple drinks. Might pull the trigger on this one anyway since I've got the hardware and space to run it. Sounds really full and dramatic. I'm just concerned that for a novice like me it'd be a waste of cash.

• edited May 2016

SOS Synth Secrets articles, refreshing time

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

• edited May 2016

@Michael_R_Grant,

I think this website explains a bit, check it out!

I don't pretend I understand them, so just learn more...., be happy everyone!

Video:
    http://www.synthesizers.com/tutorials.html

Basic:

http://www.synthesizers.com/begin.html

• choice post!

• @yoyo said:
    Fsck these two guys polluting a thread on a forum dedicated to iOS must making apps.
    Pretty needless.

^^^YES, I find them really irritating too, always the same 2 a-holes, butting in and polluting threads with dribble about apps they don't even own...

Sad, what could be an in depth discussion about an incredible app that we OWNERS are excited about turns into pages of trolling spam...

Doesn't show much respect for the developers either....

• Weeee! This app is fun. :)

Still not to keen on all the zooming and scrolling required, but the app doesn't throw too much at you to get lost.

It has such a nice warmth about it, and a simplicity, with enough little quirks to feel almost experimental at times too.

Thank you @MoogMusicInc and @GeertBevin, keep up the good work! Plus, another idea for the empty space below the panels: some sort of oscillating vector graphic of Bob Moog's head. Though I'm realizing maybe all my ideas for that space may be unfeasible due to lack of available resources.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Short instrumental. Some patches from 15 fiddled with. Drums from here and there and drumjam. Other samples from the aquarium of course :). Will no doubt delete it in sunlight.

Probably not very well recorded/mixed (which is where the less talented of us do a disservice to the developers). Turned my passing poor mood into something silly. Always best to get converted, whatever brand of God you fancy...

This is good. Btw. Workflow please? App's used? I'd be most interested.

• @1P18 said:
    Weeee! This app is fun. :)

Still not to keen on all the zooming and scrolling required, but the app doesn't throw too much at you to get lost.

It has such a nice warmth about it, and a simplicity, with enough little quirks to feel almost experimental at times too.

Thank you @MoogMusicInc and @GeertBevin, keep up the good work! Plus, another idea for the empty space below the panels: some sort of oscillating vector graphic of Bob Moog's head. Though I'm realizing maybe all my ideas for that space may be unfeasible due to lack of available resources.

Think of it this way: the empty space represents silence. That's why it's located near the on/off button. Synthesized sound arises from silence so the gap is a philosophically motivated intended visual. L'espace lui-meme.

All kidding aside, I think they left it for additional modules.

• @1P18 said:
    Weeee! This app is fun. :)

Thanks for the kind words @1P18, one tip about navigating around: you can double-tap the panel of any module to quickly fully zoom in on that module and then zoom back out by double-tapping again. This combined with double-tap to wire can provide a more immediate navigation method if you're not very keen on the scrolling.

• I've got another question for the Moog guy, although I haven't seen him posting here lately.
    Are you still monitoring this forum?

I've noticed that the most that you can increase the frequency of the two 921b oscillators by using the DC Modulate jacks is just 1 octave up or one octave down. This seems broken, as it severely limits the ability to do useful FM by modulating one 921b with the other, and also really limits the hard sync tonal range if you're modulating the synced oscillator with an envelope generator for that classic sync sound.

On a hardware 921b module, the oscillator can be modulated much farther than this, allowing it to create a much wider range of sounds.

Can this be fixed?

Also, thanks for your previous answer about normalling the inputs of the 3 reversible attenuators. Although I agree that this isn't part of the recreation of a vintage model 15, I still hope that you might consider it in a future update because of its usefulness.

I don't really see this app as a slavish recreation of the 15, because it really is a lot better in a number of ways, what with the Midi and Audio patchbay, the Voltage Controlled delay, Voltage Controlled reversible attenuators (I don't think Moog ever made these for the Modulars, although they certainly should have) and even nice touches like including the hard sync to replace the less useful strong sync that was on the original 15.

There is a neat trick you can use to extend the range of the 921b modulation...
    If you use an app like MidiBridge, you can route the Model 15 Midi Out to the Model 15 Midi In.
    Now, you can route the envelope generator to, say, the CC 16 Midi Out on the Midi panel. If you assign the oscillator Frequency knob to CC 16, now you can go 2 octaves up and down. Better, but still not great.
    You can also assign CC 16 to the Oscillator Range switch (yes, you can assign the same CC# to multiple destinations if you want) and now you can push the frequency up via the envelope generator quite a bit!
    Not very convenient, but for the determined programmer with access to an app like MidiBridge, there are at least some options available.

• @MoogMusicInc is it possible to syncronise patches across devices via iCloud ?

• edited May 2016

@Audiohub said:
    I've got another question for the Moog guy, although I haven't seen him posting here lately.
    Are you still monitoring this forum?

We're monitoring this forum, as well as a lot of other locations. :smile:

I've noticed that the most that you can increase the frequency of the two 921b oscillators by using the DC Modulate jacks is just 1 octave up or one octave down. This seems broken, as it severely limits the ability to do useful FM by modulating one 921b with the other, and also really limits the hard sync tonal range if you're modulating the synced oscillator with an envelope generator for that classic sync sound.

On a hardware 921b module, the oscillator can be modulated much farther than this, allowing it to create a much wider range of sounds.

Can this be fixed?

We'll look into this, but if memory serves well the DC modulate input is indeed limited between -1V and +1V in the hardware specifications of the 921B. The AC modulate input doesn't have this limitation.

• edited May 2016

@DaveMagoo said:
    @MoogMusicInc is it possible to syncronise patches across devices via iCloud ?

Not automatically at this time, it is something we're considering for a future update. You can however use the sharing feature now to send your patches to DropBox, Email, .... Not as convenient for automatic synchronization, but it might nonetheless be useful to you at this time.

• @MoogMusicInc said:

@DaveMagoo said:
    @MoogMusicInc is it possible to syncronise patches across devices via iCloud ?

Not automatically at this time, it is something we're considering for a future update. You can however use the sharing feature now to send your patches to DropBox, Email, .... Not as convenient for automatic synchronization, but it might nonetheless be useful to you at this time.

Thanks

• Nice to see that you're here! Much appreciated!

I just went and fired up the hardware Modular, and you are indeed correct!
    Somehow I was sure that that input had a much wider range, but in reality, mine can only be pushed about 1 1/3 octaves before it rails out. The AC modulate on the app doesnt seem to go any further, although since it's AC coupled that makes it harder to tell if you use the envelope generator (it won't stay at pitch as the cap simulation blocks DC).

• @MoogMusicInc .....thank you for such fantastic app. A question, do you plan or consider to make a 4 track player/recorder like Animoog has? The one in Animoog is just great...and it's already built...
    Even IAP? For those that want it?
    Thank you

PS and add IAA in Animoog <3 ?

• Thanks for Model 15, the more I get into it the more I appreciate the depth of sound you have created. I lose hours to this each time I go near it :)

iCloud preset sharing would be great and also for sharing cc maps across devices.

I did get a crash last night whilst using in AUM. I can send a crash log if it would be useful?

• edited May 2016

@soundklinik said:
    @MoogMusicInc .....thank you for such fantastic app. A question, do you plan or consider to make a 4 track player/recorder like Animoog has? The one in Animoog is just great...and it's already built...
    Even IAP? For those that want it?
    Thank you
    PS and add IAA in Animoog <3 ?

We're constantly evaluating how to improve our applications though we don't disclose what future plans are, sorry.

• @Carnbot said:

Thanks for Model 15, the more I get into it the more I appreciate the depth of sound you have created. I lose hours to this each time I go near it :)

That's wonderful to hear, thanks a lot for the kind words! :-)

iCloud preset sharing would be great and also for sharing cc maps across devices.

By swiping left on a CC map in the list you can share, rename and delete them.

I did get a crash last night whilst using in AUM. I can send a crash log if it would be useful?

We have automatic crash log collection and have already submitted an update with the top ones fixed, thanks for the offer. FYI, there is a more general IAA oddity: when using multiple IAA instruments or effects from the same application in a host, and ejecting one, crashes are likely to occur either in the host or in the client application. We're working with Apple in order to improve this scenario.