Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• @skiphunt said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @skiphunt

This is just my personal perspective having owned a small mostly hardware studio years back.

I was never great at mixing and mastering. I'm still not. I can however say that with the right equipment to go with an iPad (quality monitors, mics, preamps etc) there is little that cannot be done synth wise on an iPad that my hardware used to do.

iOS music making is what, six years old? I remember having computer music software in the early days that is nowhere near as good as what can be achieved with iPad synths.

So what does PC software give us over an iPad? Well just years of programmers pushing the limits of the hardware, while the hardware grew in power. The same is likely to happen with iOS music making apps, but maybe a tad slower growth in hardware (maybe).

I'm now listening to this new Moog app through the same speakers I used to listen to my Alesis Andromeda through. The Moog sounds just as good. Nave can sound just as good as my Waldorf XTK used to through the same speakers.

I tend to believe that talented musicians, mixers and mastering people could make just as professional quality music with iOS apps, yet most will choose whatever devices do the job easier, quicker and better. So for many uses they would choose computers, as they don't have to battle the iOS file system, or struggle backing up all projects easily etc. As for quality, yes some software needs either the power, storage or tech etc that as yet, is not available for iOS.

But is it possible to make professional sounding music on iOS? Yes it is. The weakest link in my music is myself and lack of skill, not the tools I have.

This was my hunch, ie. that with the right skill level, iOS sound could be mastered to sound as big and thick as the hardware can.

What's got me intrigued about this Moog 15, is the level of enthusiasm people seem to have for it. I know many of them are gearheads and have a history of lusting for high-dollar hardware... and to have something emulated they've pined for but couldn't afford, is exciting for them.

But, for those of us (like myself) who don't have a history or knowledge of high-end hardware, we/I have to look at the app at face value. I never complained about the price at all. Not sure where people are getting that. Sounds like it's worth $30, but I'm about to be unplugged for awhile (traveling) so I might was well wait.

Do you have a soundcloud account? If so, if you make something with Moog 15 and want to share.. I'd love to hear it, even if it's a test/demo thingy. I like your taste and perspective in general, so it'd be cool to hear what you're doing with Moog 15. What is your soundclound acct name?

I may get Soundcloud at some point, but haven't as yet.

As for the enthusiasm for the 15, I can only speak from my perspective. To me Moog have got the modular approach right for where iOS is currently at. The sound to my old ears is of very high quality for software emulation of analog - the most important factor to my mind. The next thing that just works for myself is the UI and what they have included. No multiple modules to add, just spending the power iOS has on the basic modules. Other modular apps out there can do much more, but they just don't sound this good (imho).

I've never owned a Moog modular, but have owned or used some lovely gear over the years and from my perspective, the 15 has a very musical quality to it. That may sound odd, but some synths (hardware and software) just seem to lack a certain musical quality.

• @MoogMusicInc said:
    About additional sound demos, in case you missed them, Richard Devine and Sascha Dikiciyan also recorded two wonderful songs with their sounds:

Those sound incredible. Were both created solely with Moog 15 and nothing else?!

• @skiphunt said:
    Nobody pissed any anyone's cheerios.

Thanks for that one man! That one nugget made the ridiculous amount of time I've spent reading this mind-bogglingly long thread worth it. B)

• @skiphunt said:

@MoogMusicInc said:
    About additional sound demos, in case you missed them, Richard Devine and Sascha Dikiciyan also recorded two wonderful songs with their sounds:

Those sound incredible. Were both created solely with Moog 15 and nothing else?!

Yes, apart from a splash of reverb and some minor EQing.

• @MoogMusicInc said:

@skiphunt said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

Yes, apart from a splash of reverb and some minor EQing.

Holy Shi-ite! That does sound creamy. Top of my wishlist. Thanks for the sample links. I'd already gone to your soundcloud page to follow, but didn't scroll down far enough. Will look for more there. Cheers

• Thanks all Gods, Thanks Moog, Thanks Richard and sound designer,

Thanks Sine Wave oscillator on 921 Model 15. Good night!

Don't know one thing? Is it 995 or 955! Please Moog!

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    Thanks all Gods, Thanks Moog, Thanks Richard and sound designer,

Thanks Sine Wave oscillator on 921 Model 15. Good night!

Don't know one thing? Is it 995 or 955! Please Moog!

The attenuators are the 995, that is indeed a typo in the manual :-)

• @kin said:
    Great stuff Matt, I'd like to hear more of it.

• @Kaikoo2 said:

I am 100% sure you are already playing it.

I was carrying you in my mind frequently. Where the Matt? Goes quietly recently. Anyhow, you have it!

Ha - you were right!

Good to have you back on the forum!

• @ImNotDedYet said:

There's no such thing as doing it wrong, but modulating gadgets filter and resonance instead of the 15s takes away so much! The filter on this is probably one of the best if not the best filter for ios, let alone many soft synths period. If it were me, id record the 15 straight into a daw.

I'm sure you're right - but i'm just addicted to doing everything in Gadget right now. Hooking up apps to Daws and Midi learning and all that jazz just feels like quite a hassle :). By the time you've recorded it you realise you want something different!

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Right... Here's the product of my previous post a few back:

It's just a little sketch I've been working on in Gadget. But the bassline which begins it and continues throughout is sampled from Model 15. If you listen carefully you can hear that I'm modulating it over 8 bars using Gadget's low pass filter.

All the other sounds are from Gadget (Keiv, Chiang Mai, Tokyo and London).

Probably not want anyone wanted to hear but there we are. Grateful to know what anyone thinks.

(And sorry it ends so abruptly - I just arranged it live in Gadget with the mute and solo buttons).

Thanks Matt. Kept waiting for David Sylvian (or maybe @crouchie) to come chiming in...

• @skiphunt Fair comment. I think I need to make a pledge not to get involved on any level with how much things are or what or whether they may or may not be worth it. Seems like a zero-sum game which often leads us to getting scratchy. And thus I'm going to Po myself hereinafter etc.

• edited May 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @skiphunt Fair comment. I think I need to make a pledge not to get involved on any level with how much things are or what or whether they may or may not be worth it. Seems like a zero-sum game which often leads us to getting scratchy. And thus I'm going to Po myself hereinafter etc.

What I don't get my good man, is where you got this idea anything I was commenting on had anything to do with worth. I was simply trying to keep my own propensity to get drunk on new-app hype in check, and see what was in the thick of this new synth. Wasn't ever about cost for me, in that it sounds like it's worth the cost to many. Anything over a few dollars, then I have to ask questions to evaluate if it's a good fit for me. That's all.

I'm guessing that my initial attempt at self-effacing humor wasn't successful. ;) Honestly just trying to get past the rapturous clouds of Moog-Joy, and ask what the deets were regarding why everyone is so ga-ga while also asking about some typical user sample demos. Did not mean to go all "sea lion" on ya. ;)

• edited May 2016

@MoogMusicInc said:

Holy ccccccccrap man. Both amazing. Just got back from the S. Dikiciyan trip...think I'll go again.

• @Redo1 said:
    Holy ccccccccrap man. Both amazing. Just got back from the S. Dikiciyan trip...think I'll go again.

Yeah, the end of that last one is something. Wonder what it was mixed on....

• Can someone comment on the tutorial components of this app? Are they fairly thorough? Are they mostly targeted to an audience who's already familiar with modular synths? Or, are they written in such a fashion that even a layperson/novice can fully understand?

• @skiphunt said:
    Can someone comment on the tutorial components of this app? Are they fairly thorough? Are they mostly targeted to an audience who's already familiar with modular synths? Or, are they written in such a fashion that even a layperson/novice can fully understand?

Layperson

• edited May 2016

Ah, first disappointment? Unless I am missing something, because of the 2finger panning there is no ability to tweak 2 knobs at once. Audulus has this same problem.
    Unless in this case it is because of cpu/gpu limitations.
    Anyone?

Also, not sure if possible but the cables could be a little more transparent after double tapping? Would be easier to see what's behind if even more ghosted.

• @MoogMusicInc said:

@cl516 said:
    Hi @MoogMusicInc I know this thread is pretty hectic, but need to ask:

1. How do I touch more than one knob at a time without mapping MIDI cc?

We decided against this since it proved more important to be able to quickly put two fingers down to pan around without risking changing any knobs. Without this two finger panning, you'd have to continuously try to avoid existing controls to navigate. We'll continue to evaluate the possible gestures and who knows, maybe in the future we'll find a way to make more than one knob control work together with all the others.

1. Is there a PDF manual that we can read without loading the app?

Not yet, we're looking into this.

cl516 - Perhaps you already know this but there is a possible way to turn two knobs (well, sort of) without using an outboard controller. Use the ribbon controller and/or aux. controller to control things like filter frequency or osc frequency. You can use the keyboard, the ribbon, the aux controller, and still turn one knob all at the same time if you are nimble enough. And there is the arp to keep in mind. This method won't work if you want to turn two knobs that aren't VC at the same time (both env releases or mixer levels), but it will work for one or two VC parameters (using controllers) plus one non-VC one (use a finger on the knob).

• thanks @MrNezumi will give that a shot soon

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Aphex said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Aphex said:
    What about the in app purchases, what are the prices and what are exactly presets? It doesnt show in my appstore

The Facebook pack is free apart from the invasion of privacy (I know, I know, your own choice :)) There are three others for now, no doubt more coming:

Textural Points: $4.99 (Richard Devine)
    Sonic Mayhem: $2.99
    Psychotropic Synthesis: $2.99

Haven't bought yet, can't speak to their contents etc.

Good prices in iap thanx for the info, i think cheaper than some animoog pack.

Somewhat surprised myself. No doubt the pay ones are good, but I swiped the FB ones and while a few of the percussive sounds are interesting (reminds me of Earhoof actually), I don't think anyone who doesn't want to visit the Facebook Pit is really going to be missing out so very much.

Interested if there is some way (haven't checked, maybe) for users to share presets. This would be valuable...

@kobamoto

psychotropic presets demo

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Thanks for that one man! That one nugget made the ridiculous amount of time I've spent reading this mind-bogglingly long thread worth it. B)

I'm with wim, the cheerios was worth the wait, lets see what ya got for the cornflakes but best wait til next time.
    In general I think folks need to calm down, we collectively have to understand at some point that we are meeting here at this intersection of time and space but that we are all individuals, that even goes for those of us who come from the dimension of 'only my opinion is acceptable', so you speak for your whole dimension that's cool, but now you are in an environment that represents more than one dimension, ignoring that won't make it any less real but bringing whatever civility they're working with from where ever you're from will do wonders to help us all get along.

• now what about that randomizer?....... chuckles

• @kobamoto
    @JohnnyGoodyear

The other preset pack

• Nice little review:

• @Beathoven said:
    Wow. This app is now number 7 in the App Store chart (UK). That's for all categories, not just music. Guess MoogMusicInc have got everything right with this one.

I also love how Moog worked closely with Apple on this app. Hopefully Apple will recognise the true possibilities of iOS music production. This could really push what is (still) a niche interest further towards the popular mainstream.

Proof that you Brits are a bit more musically sophisticated in my opinion! Sadly there isn't a single music app in the top 10 here in America. Model 15 is currently the highest ranked music app at 19.

I too am thrilled to hear that Moog worked closely with Apple on this one! It really shows! Future looks bright for us iOS musicians!!!

A million thank you's @GeertBevin and @MoogMusicInc for such an amazing app! I'm so happy :smiley:

• Now I really want an iPad Pro :wink:

• edited May 2016

@kobamoto said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

I'm with wim, the cheerios was worth the wait, lets see what ya got for the cornflakes but best wait til next time.
    In general I think folks need to calm down, we collectively have to understand at some point that we are meeting here at this intersection of time and space but that we are all individuals, that even goes for those of us who come from the dimension of 'only my opinion is acceptable', so you speak for your whole dimension that's cool, but now you are in an environment that represents more than one dimension, ignoring that won't make it any less real but bringing whatever civility they're working with from where ever you're from will do wonders to help us all get along.

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, you've been a wonderful audience. I'll be here all week. Try the veal. And don't forget to tip your servers!

• @cl516 - Using attenuators might be helpful when using the ribbon/aux controllers. The ribbon is really long and the aux is really short, so boosting or weakening the signal might help.