Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• edited May 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@Beathoven said:

@Crabman said:

@skiphunt said:
    So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

A tad too cynical for my taste.

+1

Moog make an iOS emulation of one of their hardware modular synths that they sell for $10,000. It comes with just about every possible feature, at launch, and sounds as near-as-makes-no-difference as good as the original. All for £23!

I, for one, am enthusiastic about this one. How can you not be? As for all the recordings, it was only released yesterday!

Sure, I've read all of that. I've heard the few demo videos from Moog, and a couple pre-release versions. Other than the Suzanne Ciani, I haven't heard anything but tweaking cool sounds.

So they've emulated some hardware they sell for $10k. How are folks going to use this? ie. tweak a bunch of knobs until they like what they here, and record it? What makes this synth so much more exciting than all of the others out there?

Not cynical. Not doubting. I'll likely get it eventually because it looks like fun. But, beyond that... why is this app so much more "mind-explodingly-great" compared to all the others out there? I'm NOT saying it isn't. I don't know.

It's quite likely I don't even need something like this at all. I'm just trying to figure out why there's so much enthusiasm for this particular one. Yes, it sounds cool and looks neato... but so do a lot of others.

Anyone made anything yet? Would love to hear how regular iOS sound users are using this. Even sample, test demo stuff is cool. Anyone?

I think you're poking the bear here my friend, despite your protestations to the contrary.

Folks who evidently know stuff have ponied up, bought an app and report that the sound etc is terrific. Folks who know nothing (self) feel likewise. You'll have to take us at our word. Or not. All good. It's not a million miles away from a fair few people telling you that Thumbjam is an absolute essential app. It is. For us. It may not be for you. Yet. But it may be best to let people have their enthusiasms (especially when they're so widespread) rather than making them feel you're on the sidelines and sealioning them, even though that may not be your intent at all.

Think whatever you please my friend. Nobody pissed in anyone's cheerios. No problem with anyone enjoying whatever they want to buy and enjoy. I've bought apps I don't need and just bought them because they were fun and I wanted to buy a new app.

Just asking what exactly is so great about this particular synth compared to all the others, and trying to cut through the hype. Nothing more. Not poking anyone at all. Are you denying there's typically a load of new app hype that gets everyone excited and buying just because they don't want to get left out of all the fun?

I'll drop a few dollars for the fun of it and to get a new toy to play with. I'm no different than many here. However, once the price is around $30, I need to evaluate if it's a toy I'm really going to play with and make something of worth with. Capiche my fine sealion-loving pal?

• Kaikoo, I thought you were over reacting but man, this synth is completely awesome!!!!
    The sounds is soooooo inspiring! Literally, the only other synth that did this to me was the silver beast Korg Trinity V3!

You just have to listen at this beauty with your audio card to really appreciate it, but even thru the reg headphones out, it is miles ahead of anything currently in IOS!

Just spent my whole lunch hour playing a single patch! Swimming Strings or something! Oh Man! Using Navichord oh I'm just speechless!!!!!

This is truly historic, in the true sense of the word.

So glad to be part of this. If you have to get a second mortgage, still need to master stuff, pay for college, whatever, go to the nearest pawn shop, pound a watch or whatever, if you ever loved synths, this is truly the holy grail. Period.

• @skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

What makes this synth so much more exciting than all of the others out there?

The sound quality . Simple as that , it's about as close to a hardware synth as you can get , and for twenty three quid that's exceptionally cool beans

Hey Carol, I've got you followed on Soundcloud. Once you get something nifty that was a direct result of the quality of this app... do you mind poppin it up on Soundcloud and droppin me a note?

I'm resisting this one for now because there are 2-3 more I'd rather get soon, that I've already done the research and know I'll benefit from, ie. I don't have Fugue Machine yet. I'm also hoping to be traveling/backpacking/motorcycling very soon and likely won't be tinkering with IOS sound apps anyway, so there's no rush at the moment.

Just trying to filter out the new-app-hype, and get to the gist of what this app can do and why I might want/need it, or if it would be a waste on me.

I usually do something pretty quick with a new app , but with this one I'm just enjoying exploring , learning , and playing it for now . It's such a deep app that I want to do it justice before committing it to mp3 , but thanks for following and I'll post a link when I've done something with it :))

• @carol said:

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

The sound quality . Simple as that , it's about as close to a hardware synth as you can get , and for twenty three quid that's exceptionally cool beans

Hey Carol, I've got you followed on Soundcloud. Once you get something nifty that was a direct result of the quality of this app... do you mind poppin it up on Soundcloud and droppin me a note?

I'm resisting this one for now because there are 2-3 more I'd rather get soon, that I've already done the research and know I'll benefit from, ie. I don't have Fugue Machine yet. I'm also hoping to be traveling/backpacking/motorcycling very soon and likely won't be tinkering with IOS sound apps anyway, so there's no rush at the moment.

Just trying to filter out the new-app-hype, and get to the gist of what this app can do and why I might want/need it, or if it would be a waste on me.

I usually do something pretty quick with a new app , but with this one I'm just enjoying exploring , learning , and playing it for now . It's such a deep app that I want to do it justice before committing it to mp3 , but thanks for following and I'll post a link when I've done something with it :))

Ok. I can't speak for anyone else.. but I've found that the sound apps (at least for me) fall into one of 3 categories, 1. a utility to make producing something much easier 2. a really fun app that makes great sounds that I'll likely only listen to myself 3. A sound tool I'll use to make some soundtrack/compostion

Nothing wrong with the self-pleasuring sorts of sound apps... just trying to figure out how I'd use this. Figured it'd be easier to hear how others are using it to better evaluate it's worth to me. I had no idea that so many would get their panties ruffled by merely asking if there were any fresh user examples yet. lol ;)

• Is it just me or is the same cheap bastard who regularly complains about price doing it again but from a different angle? On this Moog app no less?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Kaikoo, I thought you were over reacting but man, this synth is completely awesome!!!!
    The sounds is soooooo inspiring! Literally, the only other synth that did this to me was the silver beast Korg Trinity V3!

You just have to listen at this beauty with your audio card to really appreciate it, but even thru the reg headphones out, it is miles ahead of anything currently in IOS!

Just spent my whole lunch hour playing a single patch! Swimming Strings or something! Oh Man! Using Navichord oh I'm just speechless!!!!!

So glad to be part of this. If you have to get a second mortgage, still need to master stuff, pay for college, whatever, go to the nearest pawn shop, pound a watch or whatever, if you ever loved synths, this is truly the holy grail. Period.

This has to be the grandest hyperbole yet! ;)

Let me ask you something... I mentioned to someone a couple of weeks ago that just about all of the iOS recordings I've heard so far, never quite sound right. They sound good in the headphones, and acceptable on a properly amp'd system, but they always sound less "full" and sort of thin, without as much spatial imaging.

You can just tell the difference from a commercially released recording that was mastered by professionals in a high-end studio. But, although iOS stuff can sound fairly impressive through headphones, it never gets close to that "pro" sound.

I asked if that was because most don't really know how to correctly master their stuff, and/or they're mastering it to sound good based on an iOS reference and don't monitor and master for how it'll sound coming out of a higher-end amplifier with state of the art speakers, etc.

Or, is that thin, no-so-full iOS sound... simply the limitation of the platform and what's possible with app programming?

If it's NOT a limitation of the platform and/or app programming... has Moog found a way to make iOS sound much closer to the big boy/girl pros?

• edited May 2016

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

Ok. I can't speak for anyone else.. but I've found that the sound apps (at least for me) fall into one of 3 categories, 1. a utility to make producing something much easier 2. a really fun app that makes great sounds that I'll likely only listen to myself 3. A sound tool I'll use to make some soundtrack/compostion

Nothing wrong with the self-pleasuring sorts of sound apps... just trying to figure out how I'd use this. Figured it'd be easier to hear how others are using it to better evaluate it's worth to me. I had no idea that so many would get their panties ruffled by merely asking if there were any fresh user examples yet. lol ;)

I think you need to give people a chance , it's only been out a day lol

I did just try and record something - amazingly I was able to run Elastuc Drums , Geoshred , the Moog , Patterning and a bunch of FX all through aum at the same time on my Air2 , and record it without a crash . It did get a bit crackly ( the overall sound , no app in particular ) but the recording was clean . Unfortunately my playing wasn't so I'll refrain from sharing that one lol

I can't speak for everyone , but my enthusiasm isn't hype , it's just a damn amazing app and it deserves all the praise it's getting

• @nick said:
    the app is certainly selling well at this price -- in the top ten of paid apps in Germany right now, very nice to see that a premium music app is doing so well.

I wonder if they classify it by the number of sales or the revenue received?

• @carol said:

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

I think you need to give people a chance , it's only been out a day lol

I did just try and record something - amazingly I was able to run Elastuc Drums , Geoshred , the Moog , Patterning and a bunch of FX all through aum at the same time on my Air2 , and record it without a crash . It did get a bit crackly ( the overall sound , no app in particular ) but the recording was clean . Unfortunately my playing wasn't so I'll refrain from sharing that one lol

Carol, are you "Terrible Void" on Soundcloud? If you have something that you want to make private then delete, that's cool. Just curious what sounds folks can get in a composition that isn't a promo by Suzanne Ciani for Moog.

It got crackly with an Air2? Thats what I have. Looks like you were pushing it pretty heavy though.

As far as enough time... seems like enthusiastic shoom samples were flying around the same day it was released!

• Wow .. The sea lion cartoon was underplaying it.

• edited May 2016

@Tones4Christ said:
    Kaikoo, I thought you were over reacting but man, this synth is completely awesome!!!!

This has to be the grandest hyperbole yet! ;)

Let me ask you something... I mentioned to someone a couple of weeks ago that just about all of the iOS recordings I've heard so far, never quite sound right. They sound good in the headphones, and acceptable on a properly amp'd system, but they always sound less "full" and sort of thin, without as much spatial imaging.

You can just tell the difference from a commercially released recording that was mastered by professionals in a high-end studio. But, although iOS stuff can sound fairly impressive through headphones, it never gets close to that "pro" sound.

I asked if that was because most don't really know how to correctly master their stuff, and/or they're mastering it to sound good based on an iOS reference and don't monitor and master for how it'll sound coming out of a higher-end amplifier with state of the art speakers, etc.

Or, is that thin, no-so-full iOS sound... simply the limitation of the platform and what's possible with app programming?

If it's NOT a limitation of the platform and/or app programming... has Moog found a way to make iOS sound much closer to the big boy/girl pros?

Just buy it, man!

Let me tell you all guys what is the most important tenet or aspect on Alexandernaut's Fugue Machine music on soundcloud?

Exciting? Repetition? Heavy bass? Beautiful melody line?

No, no, no, no, no........

The answer is 'Jittering'.

He likes Fugue Machine to give his life a jettering by creating FugueM for his own soul!

He is expert user on filter and envelope!

Without Moog Model 15 kind of app, you will never wider door for analog filter!

Moog Model 15 is my dream to play Alexandernaut's spirit!

So you have it now on iOS. Don't hesitate to Model 15!

Thank you! @Tone4Christ, without me overreacting to Navichord with @JohnnyGoodYear, you probably won't know of Navichord. We frying it up!

• I think the words "it only came out yesterday, "explains the lack of tunes available for anybody's listening pleasure.

Whether people are getting carried away.... well, if they are and it turns out to be no use to them, that's their loss.
    If they aren't , well then that's their gain.

Make some music or further the cause of music making ( like the people making pre-sets for Shoom or templates for ModStep ), use whatever you like...spend whatever you feel comfortable with.

• edited May 2016

Bought it this afternoon.

Not had long with it.

Some thoughts...

• I don't need another synth. Pretty much the only synths I use are the ones inside gadget.
    • However I succumbed because of the sound quality
    • The way I intend to use it in my Gadget workflow is to sample a few individual notes and import as samples into Bilbao
    • I tried this on a nice thick bass patch (tweaked from a factory preset).
    • The arp and Link is very nice because I had my full Gadget track playing in sync and was then able to set up the arp in Model 15 to play along in time while auditioning different bass patches
    • When happy I opened up the filter way more than needed and sampled an A and an F
    • Then I took these into Bilbao (placing the A on pads 1 and 9 and the F on pads 2 and 10)
    • I needed each note on two pads because otherwise the sample cuts off when retriggered. If you duplicate onto 2 pads you can alternate between them to get over this monophonic issue in the Gadget samplers
    • I then put my simple 2 note bassline in the piano roll in Gadget
    • Then - remember in Model 15 I'd opened up the filter cutoff way too much. This this allowed me to put Gadget's low pass filter in Bilbao and then automate the cutoff and resonance on the bass patch over 8 bars
    • Now to me this sounds pretty good. It certainly means throughout my track I can mess with the cutoff on my moog bass patch very easily. I know that the purists will say this is sacrilege since I'm using Gadget's filter not Moogs - but it sure makes automation in sync with my track a whole lot easier. WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK of this technique?

• by the way Gadget and Model 15 both ran together on my Air2 very nicely with no clicks

Question: would I be able to make a Unison patch somehow in Model 15? I'm trying to remake a nice bass patch I have made in Phoenix in Gadget.

• @DaveMagoo said:
    @MoogMusicInc is there a way of individually deselecting held notes added to an arpeggiated pattern in error?

Exactly what I'd like to happen. I've also noticed that the arp stops momentarily when replugging the patch leads which seems like a bug.

• I am 100% sure you are already playing it.

I was carrying you in my mind frequently. Where the Matt? Goes quietly recently. Anyhow, you have it!

• Has anyone noticed that the output volume is much higher than other apps? I've played it alongside elastic drums, gadget and dm1 and I had to lower m17's gain by about 50%.

• @skiphunt

This is just my personal perspective having owned a small mostly hardware studio years back.

I was never great at mixing and mastering. I'm still not. I can however say that with the right equipment to go with an iPad (quality monitors, mics, preamps etc) there is little that cannot be done synth wise on an iPad that my hardware used to do.

iOS music making is what, six years old? I remember having computer music software in the early days that is nowhere near as good as what can be achieved with iPad synths.

So what does PC software give us over an iPad? Well just years of programmers pushing the limits of the hardware, while the hardware grew in power. The same is likely to happen with iOS music making apps, but maybe a tad slower growth in hardware (maybe).

I'm now listening to this new Moog app through the same speakers I used to listen to my Alesis Andromeda through. The Moog sounds just as good. Nave can sound just as good as my Waldorf XTK used to through the same speakers.

I tend to believe that talented musicians, mixers and mastering people could make just as professional quality music with iOS apps, yet most will choose whatever devices do the job easier, quicker and better. So for many uses they would choose computers, as they don't have to battle the iOS file system, or struggle backing up all projects easily etc. As for quality, yes some software needs either the power, storage or tech etc that as yet, is not available for iOS.

But is it possible to make professional sounding music on iOS? Yes it is. The weakest link in my music is myself and lack of skill, not the tools I have.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Bought it this afternoon.

Not had long with it.

Some thoughts...

• I don't need another synth. Pretty much the only synths I use are the ones inside gadget.
    • However I succumbed because of the sound quality
    • The way I intend to use it in my Gadget workflow is to sample a few individual notes and import as samples into Bilbao
    • I tried this on a nice thick bass patch (tweaked from a factory preset).
    • The arp and Link is very nice because I had my full Gadget track playing in sync and was then able to set up the arp in Model 15 to play along in time while auditioning different bass patches
    • When happy I opened up the filter way more than needed and sampled an A and an F
    • Then I took these into Bilbao (placing the A on pads 1 and 9 and the F on pads 2 and 10)
    • I needed each note on two pads because otherwise the sample cuts off when retriggered. If you duplicate onto 2 pads you can alternate between them to get over this monophonic issue in the Gadget samplers
    • I then put my simple 2 note bassline in the piano roll in Gadget
    • Then - remember in Model 15 I'd opened up the filter cutoff way too much. This this allowed me to put Gadget's low pass filter in Bilbao and then automate the cutoff and resonance on the bass patch over 8 bars
    • Now to me this sounds pretty good. It certainly means throughout my track I can mess with the cutoff on my moog bass patch very easily. I know that the purists will say this is sacrilege since I'm using Gadget's filter not Moogs - but it sure makes automation in sync with my track a whole lot easier. WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK of this technique?

• by the way Gadget and Model 15 both ran together on my Air2 very nicely with no clicks

Question: would I be able to make a Unison patch somehow in Model 15? I'm trying to remake a nice bass patch I have made in Phoenix in Gadget.

There's no such thing as doing it wrong, but modulating gadgets filter and resonance instead of the 15s takes away so much! The filter on this is probably one of the best if not the best filter for ios, let alone many soft synths period. If it were me, id record the 15 straight into a daw.

• edited May 2016

It is the best ladder filter on iOS from Moog. It is not one of the best.

Subjective? oh, ye!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @skiphunt

This is just my personal perspective having owned a small mostly hardware studio years back.

I was never great at mixing and mastering. I'm still not. I can however say that with the right equipment to go with an iPad (quality monitors, mics, preamps etc) there is little that cannot be done synth wise on an iPad that my hardware used to do.

iOS music making is what, six years old? I remember having computer music software in the early days that is nowhere near as good as what can be achieved with iPad synths.

So what does PC software give us over an iPad? Well just years of programmers pushing the limits of the hardware, while the hardware grew in power. The same is likely to happen with iOS music making apps, but maybe a tad slower growth in hardware (maybe).

I'm now listening to this new Moog app through the same speakers I used to listen to my Alesis Andromeda through. The Moog sounds just as good. Nave can sound just as good as my Waldorf XTK used to through the same speakers.

I tend to believe that talented musicians, mixers and mastering people could make just as professional quality music with iOS apps, yet most will choose whatever devices do the job easier, quicker and better. So for many uses they would choose computers, as they don't have to battle the iOS file system, or struggle backing up all projects easily etc. As for quality, yes some software needs either the power, storage or tech etc that as yet, is not available for iOS.

But is it possible to make professional sounding music on iOS? Yes it is. The weakest link in my music is myself and lack of skill, not the tools I have.

This was my hunch, ie. that with the right skill level, iOS sound could be mastered to sound as big and thick as the hardware can.

What's got me intrigued about this Moog 15, is the level of enthusiasm people seem to have for it. I know many of them are gearheads and have a history of lusting for high-dollar hardware... and to have something emulated they've pined for but couldn't afford, is exciting for them.

But, for those of us (like myself) who don't have a history or knowledge of high-end hardware, we/I have to look at the app at face value. I never complained about the price at all. Not sure where people are getting that. Sounds like it's worth $30, but I'm about to be unplugged for awhile (traveling) so I might was well wait.

Do you have a soundcloud account? If so, if you make something with Moog 15 and want to share.. I'd love to hear it, even if it's a test/demo thingy. I like your taste and perspective in general, so it'd be cool to hear what you're doing with Moog 15. What is your soundclound acct name?

• @DaveMagoo said:
    @MoogMusicInc is there a way of individually deselecting held notes added to an arpeggiated pattern in error?

Thanks for pointing that out, we'll see what can be done about deselecting held notes. However, using the Latch switch of the arpeggiator, you can already play a chord, remove all fingers and press down another chord. This will clear the first chord and immediately use the new one.

• Right... Here's the product of my previous post a few back:

It's just a little sketch I've been working on in Gadget. But the bassline which begins it and continues throughout is sampled from Model 15. If you listen carefully you can hear that I'm modulating it over 8 bars using Gadget's low pass filter.

All the other sounds are from Gadget (Keiv, Chiang Mai, Tokyo and London).

Probably not want anyone wanted to hear but there we are. Grateful to know what anyone thinks.

(And sorry it ends so abruptly - I just arranged it live in Gadget with the mute and solo buttons).

• good sound is important- but it is a bit dissapointing that this thing is mostly emulation of vanilla moog- no variable waveshaping- no delay modulation- no cv processing- I guess if you think of this as an awesome bass synth and not a timbral exploration machine- it is awesome-

• @wayni said:
    Is it just me or is the same cheap bastard who regularly complains about price doing it again but from a different angle? On this Moog app no less?

My experience with this forum is that once you've identified a certain breed of individual, it's best to simply ignore them. No good comes from engaging in those types of conversations.

For me, this is a great app, an amazing bargain, and will certainly bring me great joy for a long time. I'm very happy to see the commitment to iOS that Moog continues to make, and I am more than happy to contribute to their future plans.

• @supadom said:
    I've also noticed that the arp stops momentarily when replugging the patch leads which seems like a bug.

We can't reproduce this. Could you step us through a situation where this is happening for you? It might be easier to do this through a private message since there is so much other discussion going on here that we can easily lose yours. Thanks!

• Great stuff Matt, I'd like to hear more of it.

• @Audiohub said:
    For a few moments there, I was eargerly looking for the triple reversible attenuator module I must have missed, until I realized what must have happened was just a cut-and-paste error!

Thanks for catching that, this is indeed a copy/paste error, we'll fix it in an update.

HOWEVER...
    This got me thinking that having the inputs of the single CP15B RA and the two voltage controlled RAs below it normalized together would be a GREAT idea!
    One patch cable to the top input, and you could route and adjust the others without using up your multiples, just like you can already do with the 955 attenuators!
    Interesting mod idea?

This is a good idea, but goes against the exact recreation of the original Model 15.

• To any of you who got offended by my original post/inquiry about this new Moog 15 app, I was mostly making fun of the same hyperbole I've found myself influenced by with every new shiny sound toy. Wasn't intended to offend anyone. Was just trying to cut past all the over-the-top, exclamation riddled, uppercase proclamations of epiphanic joy in order to get to the meaty details of what folks are going so gonzo over.

I apologize if my attempt to poke fun at my own tendency to get carried away with hype came across like a wet blanket on a perfectly juicy joyful new app orgy. It wasn't my intention. Just asking questions as a potential buyer. That's all.

• edited May 2016

About additional sound demos, in case you missed them, Richard Devine and Sascha Dikiciyan also recorded two wonderful songs with their sounds: