Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep with Launchpad Mini

Would it be possible to trigger clips in Modstep using a Launchpad mini? Watched a Soundtestroom video which showed it was possible to trigger clips from external hardware. Just wondered if anyone had tried these two together. Think it would be great if they were compatible.

Comments

• Pretty sure it should work. i have the bigger original launchpad so will test this myself tomorrow and get back to you.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Pretty sure it should work. i have the bigger original launchpad so will test this myself tomorrow and get back to you.

If you could do that I'd really appreciate it. Like you said, I too think it should work but I've been burned before. Look forward to your test results.

• Shameless bump.

• Yes you can, you can use MIDI learn in Modstep, once in midi learn (the small button labelled MIDI MAP top right) select the clip you want to trigger and then press the corresponding pad on the controller.
    You can also map scenes in the same way.

I am using Launchpad MK2

There is one thing that is to me lacking and that is indication on the Launchpad when there is a clip present. Currently it is not lit at all until you select the clip to play, when it will flash when pending start/stop and then go solid once playing has started. When you stop playback the pad is no longer lit so you do not know from the controller which pads have clips.

• Right. I bet that can become confusing. Thanks Andy. That's something to think about.

• @AndyE said:
    Right. I bet that can become confusing. Thanks Andy. That's something to think about.

I am trying to convince the Modstep team to make it better :)

I also use Launchpad app alongsind ModStep, and what I really want to do is control both from the same controller, by picking for myself which pads are mapped to which app, but although it will function, the display on the pad can become really confusing :s

• I am trying to convince the Modstep team to make it better :)

That would be so cool. Keep doing that and I'll join you.

• Thanks, Andys. Would definitely be cool if the Launchpads automagically mapped, bidirectionally, to Modstep clips. I'd actually most be interested in using it as a capture interface where hitting a pad would arm it for recording. Extending that a bit, the bottom row (or right column) on the launchpad would indicate and allow changing of clip length (up to 8 bars anyway, though perhaps color/second press could indicate 9-16 bars).

• @syrupcore said:
    Thanks, Andys. Would definitely be cool if the Launchpads automagically mapped, bidirectionally, to Modstep clips. I'd actually most be interested in using it as a capture interface where hitting a pad would arm it for recording. Extending that a bit, the bottom row (or right column) on the launchpad would indicate and allow changing of clip length (up to 8 bars anyway, though perhaps color/second press could indicate 9-16 bars).

Yeah, there is so much you could do with Launchpad in this app, setting up a page for pads in the sampler, having a mixer view, a step sequencer view

Perhaps if we can come up with some detailed designs for pages we wanted then the ModStep guys @Nerk_ would have something to go on when evaluating whether it is worth their while to implement it.

• At least it flashes tbh, better than Genome where you have to just remember what clips you've triggered. Stick a bit of masking tape on your clips? Old skool cool. :)

• Perhaps if we can come up with some detailed designs for pages we wanted then the ModStep guys @Nerk_ would have something to go on when evaluating whether it is worth their while to implement it.

I would personally be over the moon if there was indication on the Launchpad when there is a clip present. If they could sort out that one thing I would be walking round with a big stupid smile on my face for weeks.

• @AndyE said:

Perhaps if we can come up with some detailed designs for pages we wanted then the ModStep guys @Nerk_ would have something to go on when evaluating whether it is worth their while to implement it.

I would personally be over the moon if there was indication on the Launchpad when there is a clip present. If they could sort out that one thing I would be walking round with a big stupid smile on my face for weeks.

• @AndyPlankton please do send us a few mockups / ideas what you would like implemented - we don't have a launchpad (yet) but are very interested in opening modstep up to hardware like this. i doubt there is a better start than with the launchpad :)

• @cblomert said:
    @AndyPlankton please do send us a few mockups / ideas what you would like implemented - we don't have a launchpad (yet) but are very interested in opening modstep up to hardware like this. i doubt there is a better start than with the launchpad :)

Yum, do want.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@syrupcore said:
    Thanks, Andys. Would definitely be cool if the Launchpads automagically mapped, bidirectionally, to Modstep clips. I'd actually most be interested in using it as a capture interface where hitting a pad would arm it for recording. Extending that a bit, the bottom row (or right column) on the launchpad would indicate and allow changing of clip length (up to 8 bars anyway, though perhaps color/second press could indicate 9-16 bars).

Yeah, there is so much you could do with Launchpad in this app, setting up a page for pads in the sampler, having a mixer view, a step sequencer view

Oh my god. if you could implement a step sequencer page i would love you guys FOREVERS!

• @cblomert said:

@AndyE said:

How quickly do you think you could implement this. I mean, is the weekend too soon?
    Seriously though, we will love you forever. I will tell my grandchildren heroic stories about you. Don't let them down..........

• P.s. Modstep rocks.

• @AndyE @syrupcore @lukesleepwalker @gonekrazy3000 + Anyone who wants to contribute !

@cblomert said:
    @AndyPlankton please do send us a few mockups / ideas what you would like implemented - we don't have a launchpad (yet) but are very interested in opening modstep up to hardware like this. i doubt there is a better start than with the launchpad :)

Come on guys, lets get posting some descriptions/images/mockups here, then we can discuss them between us and pass onto Chris once we have a set of what we want. I'll quite happily create some images of what we suggest.
    How these options could be presented on the Launchpad in a meaningful way would be the key to getting this working successfully.

I think we should go a screen at a time, so start with the main session view and think about how you want it to work
    For me personally just having the session represented on the Launchpad for clip/scene launching, with the ability to also arm for record by using combination of one of the side buttons plus a pad would be a tremendous start,
    When pressing the 'record arm' button as @syrupcore suggested have the ability to select other recording options, number of patterns, quantise record, playback speed etc...

Grab this opportunity and get them ideas posted B)

• AndyPlankton. I see you also have a LaunchControl XL. Have you managed to successfully map the sliders and rotary knobs to Modstep's mixer. I tried with a Korg NanoKontrol2 and it wasn't having any of it.

• @AndyE said:
    AndyPlankton. I see you also have a LaunchControl XL. Have you managed to successfully map the sliders and rotary knobs to Modstep's mixer. I tried with a Korg NanoKontrol2 and it wasn't having any of it.

I haven't tried with the LaunchControl as yet, I do have NanoKontrol2 and I do have that working with ModStep Faders, rec, mute and solo, you have to make sure that the NanoKontrol is configured with the CC's working in the right way using the PC editor for it. I have buttons all set to be Toggle apart from stop which is in momentary, make sure buttons and faders are using CC's and not notes.

I did try the built in modes and none of them worked properly for all functions.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AndyE said:
    AndyPlankton. I see you also have a LaunchControl XL. Have you managed to successfully map the sliders and rotary knobs to Modstep's mixer. I tried with a Korg NanoKontrol2 and it wasn't having any of it.

I haven't tried with the LaunchControl as yet, I do have NanoKontrol2 and I do have that working with ModStep Faders, rec, mute and solo, you have to make sure that the NanoKontrol is configured with the CC's working in the right way using the PC editor for it. I have buttons all set to be Toggle apart from stop which is in momentary, make sure buttons and faders are using CC's and not notes.

I did try the built in modes and none of them worked properly for all functions.

Thanks again, Andy. I'll give that a try later. This is exactly why I love Audiobus forum. People like yourself who are happy and willing to help other folks out. Much appreciated.

• Yeah that's why I like this place too and you're welcome :)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    @AndyE @syrupcore @lukesleepwalker @gonekrazy3000 + Anyone who wants to contribute !

@cblomert said:

Come on guys, lets get posting some descriptions/images/mockups here, then we can discuss them between us and pass onto Chris once we have a set of what we want. I'll quite happily create some images of what we suggest.
    How these options could be presented on the Launchpad in a meaningful way would be the key to getting this working successfully.

I think we should go a screen at a time, so start with the main session view and think about how you want it to work
    For me personally just having the session represented on the Launchpad for clip/scene launching, with the ability to also arm for record by using combination of one of the side buttons plus a pad would be a tremendous start,
    When pressing the 'record arm' button as @syrupcore suggested have the ability to select other recording options, number of patterns, quantise record, playback speed etc...

Grab this opportunity and get them ideas posted B)

You pretty much nailed it for me. I find the ability to set the pattern length to be the most important when creating. They could reduce it to a pair of buttons by going with the Loopy style X2 and /2. Hard to indicate length with that method though so you'd still need to be looking at MS.

If you watch the way Rheyne uses the launch pad to build up sessions live is exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for in a Launchpad/ModStep marriage.

For additional interesting ways to integrate the Launchpad with a midi sequencer, I think we need look no further than Numerology. That guy has pulled off some amazing stuff!

• edited May 2016

@AndyPlankton said:

@AndyE said:

Got the Nanokontrol2 working a treat after trying what you suggested above. Chuffed with it now. :)

• Wish there was an iOS editor for the nano series!

• @funjunkie27 said:
    Wish there was an iOS editor for the nano series!

Agreed, are you listening Korg?

• @ghostly606 said:

@funjunkie27 said:

amen.

• @syrupcore said:

@ghostly606 said:

@funjunkie27 said:

amen.

That would be perfect.

• Numerology for ipad would be perfect too.

• Now this little beauty has got me excited. Akai APC20. Oh yes..........