Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• @jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:
    Couldn't resist, had to buy it. Awesome iOS instrument, no doubt, but based on my initial experiences the Model 15 was designed (and with a good reason) for the latest hardware. My iPad Mini 2 (iOS 9.3.2) , though supported, is simply not powerful enough to handle the task without constant crackling, even in ECO mode and Minimal IOS Signal Processing and no any other apps open. So I'm looking at this as a future investment 'prematurely' completed, one that will prosper on the 9.7 iPad Pro I'm about to buy later this year.

You're running the 9.3.2 public beta? Which version? Have you tried rebooting your device after installation?

oops, my bad: i'm on iOS 9.3.1, repeat 9.3.1. Sorry. Any feedback/hints on the possible removal of crackles, if the issue is not device-dependent.

Could you please reach out to [email protected], we'll help you track down what might be going on.

• Small midibridge template ready for Modstep. Love the fact you can basically use it as more oscillators. Will post it in my template thread when I get access to my pc later.

• @MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:
    Couldn't resist, had to buy it. Awesome iOS instrument, no doubt, but based on my initial experiences the Model 15 was designed (and with a good reason) for the latest hardware. My iPad Mini 2 (iOS 9.3.2) , though supported, is simply not powerful enough to handle the task without constant crackling, even in ECO mode and Minimal IOS Signal Processing and no any other apps open. So I'm looking at this as a future investment 'prematurely' completed, one that will prosper on the 9.7 iPad Pro I'm about to buy later this year.

You're running the 9.3.2 public beta? Which version? Have you tried rebooting your device after installation?

oops, my bad: i'm on iOS 9.3.1, repeat 9.3.1. Sorry. Any feedback/hints on the possible removal of crackles, if the issue is not device-dependent.

Could you please reach out to [email protected], we'll help you track down what might be going on.

will do, thanks a bunch!

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    So, whose gonna create a ModStep template for this monster :D
    Having read the comments above I will definitely be buying, just have to wait for next months budget.
    With the arrival later today of my Circuit and Launchcontrol XL to accompany my Launchpad controller, I'll be trying to break my iPad Mini 2 by running This, Modstep, Launchpad/wave all together, synced to the circuit.
    What are my chances of it all working ?

I'm going to do a mod step template :) but going to start with a small midi bridge template first so that you can actually use mod step clip automation in the actual synths chain.

@Carnbot said:

@ghostly606 said:

@Carnbot said:
    This great synth is a beast on the CPU. But that's ok because in order to sound this good it has to push iOS technology. I'd rather it looked forward than back. Well done Moog.

My Air 2 loves it, my mini 2 feels the strain a bit more.

Wary Mini 2 owner here, are you getting glitching or dropouts?

Yes I do get glitches quite often on Mini2. But it needs a bit of testing from others too because there are so many ways you can use it. I've been testing certain patches running through Audio Reverb in AUM and some patches do cause glitching for me. If I quit everything and run Moog 15 by itself the glitches stop. The CPU was high 60s/70 when running with an effect in AUM.

Not sure but maybe this is an IAA thing and it can be optimised.

I've got it to glitch on my Air 2 if I use it alongside a couple of other synths and an effects bus in AUM.

What IOS versions are you using on both ? According to the devs anything below 9.3 will cause glitches. They worked with Apple to fix this in 9.3

I'm running the latest ios 9.3.1

• @Carnbot said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    So, whose gonna create a ModStep template for this monster :D
    Having read the comments above I will definitely be buying, just have to wait for next months budget.
    With the arrival later today of my Circuit and Launchcontrol XL to accompany my Launchpad controller, I'll be trying to break my iPad Mini 2 by running This, Modstep, Launchpad/wave all together, synced to the circuit.
    What are my chances of it all working ?

I'm going to do a mod step template :) but going to start with a small midi bridge template first so that you can actually use mod step clip automation in the actual synths chain.

@Carnbot said:

@ghostly606 said:

@Carnbot said:
    This great synth is a beast on the CPU. But that's ok because in order to sound this good it has to push iOS technology. I'd rather it looked forward than back. Well done Moog.

My Air 2 loves it, my mini 2 feels the strain a bit more.

Wary Mini 2 owner here, are you getting glitching or dropouts?

Yes I do get glitches quite often on Mini2. But it needs a bit of testing from others too because there are so many ways you can use it. I've been testing certain patches running through Audio Reverb in AUM and some patches do cause glitching for me. If I quit everything and run Moog 15 by itself the glitches stop. The CPU was high 60s/70 when running with an effect in AUM.

I've got it to glitch on my Air 2 if I use it alongside a couple of other synths and an effects bus in AUM.

What IOS versions are you using on both ? According to the devs anything below 9.3 will cause glitches. They worked with Apple to fix this in 9.3

Have you turned off the Eco Mode?
    With Eco Mode on I've had some glitches but that was to be expected, with Eco Mode off no glitches what so ever.

• @Carnbot said:

The Model 15 uses a lot of CPU, that's why it sounds so good. When using other apps alongside, they're all competing for the same CPU resources. Depending on the power of your device (iPad Air 1 and iPad Mini 2 being the very low end supported), these situations can indeed introduce crackles. Increasing the buffer size in your host application can sometimes alleviate this.

• @jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

will do, thanks a bunch!

OK, now I'm confused, in a good way..Just reopened the app, because it's so damned fantastic, it's calling my name.. No crackles. Same settings, didn't restart the iPad, even had AUM and Pattering running. Me happy I guess. :)

• edited May 2016

@jooga1972 said:

will do, thanks a bunch!

OK, now I'm confused, in a good way..Just reopened the app, because it's so damned fantastic, it's calling my name.. No crackles. Same settings, didn't restart the iPad, even had AUM and Pattering running. Me happy I guess. :)

Could be that there were still some post-installation processes going on, or some housekeeping. Glad you're on your way to having fun with it now! :smile:

• @jooga1972 said:

What?! ugh so confused whether to buy this or not. Half the people say it works with no glitchers or problems on mini2 and now your having the opposite response..

fuuuuuck. guess i wont be buying it

• @jooga1972 said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

will do, thanks a bunch!

After al that you still have AUM and patterning running?
    I've had zero issues running model 15 on its own on my mini 2 iOS 9.3.1. That is the test and it passes.

• SDGSDG
    edited May 2016

I'm still on an iPad 2. Planning to get a used/refurbrished iPad Air or Mini 2 soon. I really hope this app performs well on those devices. Keep in mind Apple is still selling the Mini 2 brand new.

Maybe it would be a good idea to give the chance of removing the polyphony so you can still use the app in mono mode with a bunch of other apps without any issues?. I think even the users with the most powerful devices may find this useful.

And by the way, after updating to 9.3.1. I realized some apps do work better. On iDS-10 (really love this one!), Oscilab and Yamaha's Mobile Sequencer the change between patterns wasn't perfectly smooth sometimes. Now they seem to work just fine!.

• @jooga1972 said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

will do, thanks a bunch!

so now it is working..hmm ok reconsidering the buying it now.. again haha

• edited May 2016

@jooga1972 said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

will do, thanks a bunch!

With some testing behind me, here's what I should have posted in the first place:

• With 'ECO mode' and ''Minimal IOS Signal Processing' on, Model 15 now works, most of the time, without any crackles or glitches on my iPad Mini 2 (iOS 9.3.1) IF there are no any other apps running. CPU consumption peaks at 55-60 %.
    • With Model 15 and Patterning open in AUM, CPU usage peaks at 80 % or above and the crackles return. The more automation I programmed in Patterning (Model 15 was playing just an arpeggiated sequence), the more severe the crackling became.
    • I don't consider the crackling on my device an app-related issue. The Mini 2 is slowly but surely growing obsolete when it comes to handling complex apps like Model 15. For some time I've known that investing in a newer iPad will be at some pont inevitable.
    • I don't regret buying Model 15 right upon release. There's a lot to learn in there for me, so maybe it's just best if I focus on the 'how,' 'what' and 'where' before I start building full sets or songs around it.

Sorry for my premature posts, hope I didn't cause much trouble. :)

• edited May 2016

Hi @MoogMusicInc I know this thread is pretty hectic, but need to ask:

1. How do I touch more than one knob at a time without mapping MIDI cc?
    2. Is there a PDF manual that we can read without loading the app?

Thanks and congrats!

EDIT: @MoogMusicInc Thanks for the reply!

• edited May 2016

@cl516 said:
    Hi @MoogMusicInc I know this thread is pretty hectic, but need to ask:

1. How do I touch more than one knob at a time without mapping MIDI cc?

We decided against this since it proved more important to be able to quickly put two fingers down to pan around without risking changing any knobs. Without this two finger panning, you'd have to continuously try to avoid existing controls to navigate. We'll continue to evaluate the possible gestures and who knows, maybe in the future we'll find a way to make more than one knob control work together with all the others.

1. Is there a PDF manual that we can read without loading the app?

Not yet, we're looking into this.

• edited May 2016

@jooga1972 said:

@jooga1972 said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

will do, thanks a bunch!

With some testing behind me, here's what I should have posted in the first place:

• With 'ECO mode' and ''Minimal IOS Signal Processing' on, Model 15 now works, most of the time, without any crackles or glitches on my iPad Mini 2 (iOS 9.3.1) IF there are no any other apps running. CPU consumption peaks at 55-60 %.
    • With Model 15 and Patterning open in AUM, CPU usage peaks at 80 % or above and the crackles return. The more automation I programmed in Patterning (Model 15 was playing just an arpeggiated sequence), the more severe the crackling became.
    • I don't consider the crackling on my device an app-related issue. The Mini 2 is slowly but surely growing obsolete when it comes to handling complex apps like Model 15. For some time I've known that investing in a newer iPad will be at some pont inevitable.
    • I don't regret buying Model 15 right upon release. There's a lot to learn in there for me, so maybe it's just best if I focus on the 'how,' 'what' and 'where' before I start building full sets or songs around it.

Sorry for my premature posts, hope I didn't cause much trouble. :)

Hm, what is your buffer setting? Try to increase it, it seems you have enough CPU left in total, only not at some peaks. A larger buffer will spread out the requirements, just introduce a bit more latency.

I would trust them, they say Ipad Mini 2 is supported. It should be setting or configuration related. At worst this would mean a clean reinstall of everything, like from an old backup. but I think not.

• Hm, what is your buffer setting? Try to increase it, it seems you have enough CPU left in total, only not at some peaks. A larger buffer will spread out the requirements, just introduce a bit more latency.

It was set to 256, now reset to 512 and it's much-much better. CPU usage peaks at approx. 60 % with Model 15, Patterning and AUM all running. No crackles. Maybe I should look into what buffer really means. :) Thanks a bunch for the hint!

• increasing buffer in AUM definitely helps for the mini2 but you won't want to start adding lots of other apps other than an AU effect or two. I start to get crackles if the CPU gets into mid to high 60s. If you can keep it out of that range it works great.

I'm fortunate in that the mini2 is my secondary device so I'm thinking of running Moog15 on it's own on the mini2 and routing the audio into my Air2 via iconnectAudio which is also running Moog15 for full on Moogness. :)

• @Carnbot said:
    increasing buffer in AUM definitely helps for the mini2 but you won't want to start adding lots of other apps other than an AU effect or two. I start to get crackles if the CPU gets into mid to high 60s. If you can keep it out of that range it works great.

I'm fortunate in that the mini2 is my secondary device so I'm thinking of running Moog15 on it's own on the mini2 and routing the audio into my Air2 via iconnectAudio which is also running Moog15 for full on Moogness. :)

Awesome :)

• I'm experiencing the opposite on my air 2. From 256-1024 it's pretty much stuck at 32-33. No pops or crackles. Weirdly enough changing buffer to 128 actually makes it 25-26. Still no pops or crackles....

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm experiencing the opposite on my air 2. From 256-1024 it's pretty much stuck at 32-33. No pops or crackles. Weirdly enough changing buffer to 128 actually makes it 25-26. Still no pops or crackles....

iOS devices have several CPU speeds that dynamically are increased or decreased by the operating system. If you give the device more work to do on newer models (like decreasing the buffer size), the CPU will speed up and consume more battery power, but the time necessary to do the work for that given CPU speed will be less.

• How does the loop record work? One guy said he couldn't figure out how to record more than one bar. I hope that's not the case. Can you do four tracks or is it like Animoog for iPhone?

• edited May 2016

@jooga1972 said:

Hm, what is your buffer setting? Try to increase it, it seems you have enough CPU left in total, only not at some peaks. A larger buffer will spread out the requirements, just introduce a bit more latency.

It was set to 256, now reset to 512 and it's much-much better. CPU usage peaks at approx. 60 % with Model 15, Patterning and AUM all running. No crackles. Maybe I should look into what buffer really means. :) Thanks a bunch for the hint!

30 minutes later: reopened Model 15 in AUM again, no other apps running, CPU is up to 85-95 % and Mod. 15 is not even playing a sound. Buffer set to 512. Now it crackles like hell, even in standalone mode. Restarted the iPad just to see what the reboot may bring and saw this: opened AUM first, then Model 15, DSP peaked at 65 % max. Then added Patterning to the chain, DSP instantly increased to 90-95 % and remained the same even after I closed Patterning. Closing and reopening Mod.15 + AUM gave me the same results: Mod.15 in AUM takes up at least 80 % of the CPU, even when idle. Now I'm confused, but not disappointed.

• Is anyone using a bluetooth speaker with this app. If so, what did you have to do get it to work. Thanks in advance

• @jooga1972 said:

@jooga1972 said:

30 minutes later: reopened Model 15 in AUM again, no other apps running, CPU is up to 85-95 % and Mod. 15 is not even playing a sound. Buffer set to 512. Now it crackles like hell, even in standalone mode. Restarted the iPad just to see what the reboot may bring and saw this: opened AUM first, then Model 15, DSP peaked at 65 % max. Then added Patterning to the chain, DSP instantly increased to 90-95 % and remained the same even after I closed Patterning. Closing and reopening Mod.15 + AUM gave me the same results: Mod.15 in AUM takes up at least 80 % of the CPU, even when idle. Now I'm confused, but not disappointed.

Any ghost apps running in AUM?

• @db909 said:
    How does the loop record work? One guy said he couldn't figure out how to record more than one bar. I hope that's not the case. Can you do four tracks or is it like Animoog for iPhone?

Yesterday i recorded something like 32 bars, start and stop are quantised to the bar like in AUM, and the overdubs are limited to the lenght of your first recording (correct me if im wrong, but you can't record a 16 bar improvisation over a 1 bar loop)

Since the metronome, the arp and the delay are sync to the recorder, all of that sync by link to other apps, it's very easy to get things going :smile:

now I wish animoog had link :blush:

• @MoogMusicInc said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm experiencing the opposite on my air 2. From 256-1024 it's pretty much stuck at 32-33. No pops or crackles. Weirdly enough changing buffer to 128 actually makes it 25-26. Still no pops or crackles....

iOS devices have several CPU speeds that dynamically are increased or decreased by the operating system. If you give the device more work to do on newer models (like decreasing the buffer size), the CPU will speed up and consume more battery power, but the time necessary to do the work for that given CPU speed will be less.

That might explain some things. I'm plugged into power so battery doesn't matter to me lol.

• edited May 2016

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@jooga1972 said:

@jooga1972 said:

Any ghost apps running in AUM?

Ghost apps? Could you be a bit more specific please? There might be something going on as right now I'm unable to reset the buffer in AUM. It's stuck at 256 and I get the "either the hardware does not support... or another app controlling it..." message. Ghost app?

Edit: after rebooting the iPad I can reset the buffer again in AUM. So there must be something going on in the background and it might be related to one or more of the apps (Mod.15., Pattering, AUM) involved in the tests. Or it's my device. Or who knows.

• edited May 2016

@jooga1972 said:

Ghost apps? Could you be a bit more specific please? There might be something going on as right now I'm unable to reset the buffer in AUM. It's stuck at 256 and I get the "either the hardware does not support... or another app controlling it..." message. Ghost app?

Edit: after rebooting the iPad I can reset the buffer again in AUM. So there must be something going on in the background and it might be related to one or more of the apps (Mod.15., Pattering, AUM) involved in the tests. Or it's my device. Or who knows.

If you open a fx app in AUM and turn it off from AUM, it will stay active in the background and take up resources while being invisible (sometime a red bar with the name of the app signals it on the top of your screen), > ghost apps

Press the on/off ipad button until you see the "turn off" slider on the screen, instead of turning off the ipad, long press the home button untill you come back to your home screen... kills all background activity (ghost apps)

• @pierre said:

@jooga1972 said:

If you open a fx app in AUM and turn it off from AUM, it will stay active in the background and take up resources while being invisible (sometime a red bar with the name of the app signals it on the top of your screen), > ghost apps

Press the on/off ipad button until you see the "turn off" slider on the screen, instead of turning off the ipad, long press the home button untill you come back to your home screen... kills all background activity (ghost apps)

Oh, that explains a lot, thanks. However, I just did this, killed all possible ghost apps, reopened AUM, then Mod.15. and CPU is up to 95 %, while it's all idle. Hmm... there's not much I can do like this I guess.