Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• Pierre:
    Check out the Moogevil9 patch in the FX bank.
    They use the arpeggiator set to random driving the filter cutoff to do a fair simulation of the S/H effect.

• @Audiohub said:
    Pierre:
    Check out the Moogevil9 patch in the FX bank.
    They use the arpeggiator set to random driving the filter cutoff to do a fair simulation of the S/H effect.

Thanks! good to know that the arpeggiator can modulate parameters, will have a look this evening!

@MoogMusicInc said:

@Audiohub said:
    There's a LOT to like here, and although this is more than I'm typically used to spending on apps, it's certainly worth every penny.

It seems to work better in AUM than Audiobus for me. I do get a bit of crackling occasionally on my Air1 with some poly patches, and I'm trying to run down the best way to get everything stable. Sometimes changing a setting will cause the dreaded buzzing crash.

Thanks for reporting this, the main quirk with the iPad Air 1 is that it's very restricted on memory, so when using the app together with other apps, iOS might decide on its own to terminate it. Is there a setting in particular that causes this for you?

I had little crackles too on my mini2 (same than air) using moog15 in AUM without effect, allthough they where not present in my recordings,so nothing to stop me from using it :smile:

• @pierre said:

It seems to work better in AUM than Audiobus for me. I do get a bit of crackling occasionally on my Air1 with some poly patches, and I'm trying to run down the best way to get everything stable. Sometimes changing a setting will cause the dreaded buzzing crash.

Thanks for reporting this, the main quirk with the iPad Air 1 is that it's very restricted on memory, so when using the app together with other apps, iOS might decide on its own to terminate it. Is there a setting in particular that causes this for you?

I had little crackles too on my mini2 (same than air) using moog15 in AUM without effect, allthough they where not present in my recordings,so nothing to stop me from using it :smile:

Which exact version of iOS are you using? Any version before 9.3 could create unwanted crackles at times, even if the app is functional.

• edited May 2016

@MoogMusicInc said:

Which exact version of iOS are you using? Any version before 9.3 could create unwanted crackles at times, even if the app is functional.

I'm on the lattest iOS, I'll do further tests tonight, maybe there where IAA apps ghosts in the background

Model 15 def' takes a lot of resources on my ipad, the good part is that it sound allready great on it's own, I even love the oldschool overdub/recorder workflow!

5.5 star app, thank you so much!

• edited May 2016

@pierre said:

@MoogMusicInc said:

I'm on the lattest iOS, I'll do further tests tonight, maybe there where IAA apps ghosts in the background

Model 15 def' takes a lot of resources on my ipad, the good part is that it sound allready great on it's own, I even love the oldschool overdub/recorder workflow!

5.5 star app, thank you so much!

Thanks so much! One other thought, it could be that AUM is set to a higher sample rate or smaller buffer size (the app defaults to 44.1kHz / 256), this could also have an impact.

• @TGiG said:
    I made a fake Facebook years ago and it really is handy

Have you ever been on Catfish ? lol

• edited May 2016

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    ok people. is there anywhere on the internet where i could find a circuitboard diagram to making a hardware midi controller for this ? or any modular for that matter ? Hell. i would actually make one even if it took me months. i LOVE this app. the main thing i cannot figure out is how you would make a midi controller that told the App or Daw cables were attached between ports A and B.

The Korg MS-20 ic does it with iMS-20, and it is very satisfying watching the cables patch up, but once you start patching on screen, the cables on the controller no longer match.
    I tend to use on screen for building patches but then use the real cables while making a patch as a hardware backup.
    They are most useful when you want to patch during performance.

• One thing that caused the buzzing crash was toggling the minimal IOS processing mode.
    At times I would get a fair amount of crackling in Audiobus with just the 15 and the Aux Space reverb enabled. Toggling the setting to try and improve things would cause the crash. I'll try looking deeper at this tomorrow.

Thanks for considering suggestions for improvements!

• I'm curious if they've used the Metal framework (which is basically GPU tapping) for audio too, or just for graphics.
    Because that framework would make a synth sound super realistic due to the loads of calculations it can do.

I bought it too although I'm not a fan of modular stuff. It's a work of art, I must say

• So, whose gonna create a ModStep template for this monster :D
    Having read the comments above I will definitely be buying, just have to wait for next months budget.
    With the arrival later today of my Circuit and Launchcontrol XL to accompany my Launchpad controller, I'll be trying to break my iPad Mini 2 by running This, Modstep, Launchpad/wave all together, synced to the circuit.
    What are my chances of it all working ?

• edited May 2016

@Audiohub said:
    One thing that caused the buzzing crash was toggling the minimal IOS processing mode.
    At times I would get a fair amount of crackling in Audiobus with just the 15 and the Aux Space reverb enabled. Toggling the setting to try and improve things would cause the crash. I'll try looking deeper at this tomorrow.

Thanks for considering suggestions for improvements!

Thanks for the detailed report, that is actually not surprising and possibly something we should look into. Changing that setting influences the active audio session, which could confuse other applications and in return Model 15. It will also make little sense, since Audiobus is the host and in charge of the audio session. It's effectively the same as running Audiobus in measurement mode.

• @ghostly606 said:

@Carnbot said:
    This great synth is a beast on the CPU. But that's ok because in order to sound this good it has to push iOS technology. I'd rather it looked forward than back. Well done Moog.

My Air 2 loves it, my mini 2 feels the strain a bit more.

Wary Mini 2 owner here, are you getting glitching or dropouts?

Yes I do get glitches quite often on Mini2. But it needs a bit of testing from others too because there are so many ways you can use it. I've been testing certain patches running through Audio Reverb in AUM and some patches do cause glitching for me. If I quit everything and run Moog 15 by itself the glitches stop. The CPU was high 60s/70 when running with an effect in AUM.

Not sure but maybe this is an IAA thing and it can be optimised.

I've got it to glitch on my Air 2 if I use it alongside a couple of other synths and an effects bus in AUM.

• Congrats to @MoogMusicInc and all at Moog. I see that Model 15 is #20 on the app chart in the US. That isn't the Music category (where it is #1), but rather for the whole App Store. I'm happy to see the app doing so well, it deserves to. I also have my selfish reasons to be happy about this - success will likely mean more great apps from Moog. Bring'em on!

• @MrNezumi said:
    Congrats to @MoogMusicInc and all at Moog. I see that Model 15 is #20 on the app chart in the US. That isn't the Music category (where it is #1), but rather for the whole App Store. I'm happy to see the app doing so well, it deserves to. I also have my selfish reasons to be happy about this - success will likely mean more great apps from Moog. Bring'em on!

It also shows that there actually is a large number of music and synth enthusiasts using iPads, and that there is a market there for those who make quality software. :)

• anyone already tried some (Filter)FM stuff (audiorate) with it?That's were many"virtual analog"fail to deliver but it's especially interesting with a modular synth.

• @MoogMusicInc and @GeertBevin regarding the empty space at the bottom, besides my idea for stickers you could also put a Moog logo there, or unused cables (just a graphic of a few sitting there in that 3D space), or even something pertaining to the history of the Model 15.

I realize those are just cosmetic suggestions, so how about some functionality? A note pad, or perhaps some sort of easily accessible help information, or a visual display of the audio output.

I don't know, just seems like wasted space is all.

• 30$ US is $48 Australian. Eagerly awaiting next mining boom / GFC so I can grab a copy. Or economise and subsist on noodles for a month. Very tempted, may have to do the noodles.

• edited May 2016

@GeertBevin said:

@Samu said:
    @GeertBevin I'm loving the iOS Moog Model 15 so far.

As usual I'm a 'geek' so the question is...
    Is there even a remote possibility to include ratcheting in the arpeggiator in a future update?

So far this has been a very solid experience and set's a new standard for a 1.0 release :)

Thanks for the praise! I've put your request on the list of possible future enhancements.

Ratcheting would natively benefit a lot to this app's popularity. So cool 'Rubycon' sequencer has this feature for other apps. So remotely expecting it on Model 15. :D

• Moog Model 15, Link, AUM and Modstep makes the future bright for iOS music making, just when I was being drawn back to my laptop....Definitely have my sights on an ipad pro 2 when it comes out now.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    So, whose gonna create a ModStep template for this monster :D
    Having read the comments above I will definitely be buying, just have to wait for next months budget.
    With the arrival later today of my Circuit and Launchcontrol XL to accompany my Launchpad controller, I'll be trying to break my iPad Mini 2 by running This, Modstep, Launchpad/wave all together, synced to the circuit.
    What are my chances of it all working ?

I'm going to do a mod step template :) but going to start with a small midi bridge template first so that you can actually use mod step clip automation in the actual synths chain.

@Carnbot said:

@ghostly606 said:

@Carnbot said:
    This great synth is a beast on the CPU. But that's ok because in order to sound this good it has to push iOS technology. I'd rather it looked forward than back. Well done Moog.

My Air 2 loves it, my mini 2 feels the strain a bit more.

Wary Mini 2 owner here, are you getting glitching or dropouts?

Yes I do get glitches quite often on Mini2. But it needs a bit of testing from others too because there are so many ways you can use it. I've been testing certain patches running through Audio Reverb in AUM and some patches do cause glitching for me. If I quit everything and run Moog 15 by itself the glitches stop. The CPU was high 60s/70 when running with an effect in AUM.

Not sure but maybe this is an IAA thing and it can be optimised.

I've got it to glitch on my Air 2 if I use it alongside a couple of other synths and an effects bus in AUM.

What IOS versions are you using on both ? According to the devs anything below 9.3 will cause glitches. They worked with Apple to fix this in 9.3

• edited May 2016

Couldn't resist, had to buy it. Awesome iOS instrument, no doubt, but based on my initial experiences the Model 15 was designed (and with a good reason) for the latest hardware. My iPad Mini 2 (iOS 9.3.2) , though supported, is simply not powerful enough to handle the task without constant crackling, even in ECO mode and Minimal IOS Signal Processing and no any other apps open. So I'm looking at this as a future investment 'prematurely' completed, one that will prosper on the 9.7 iPad Pro I'm about to buy later this year.

• About halfway through watching the SonicState Superbooth video yesterday I ordered this.

If Animoog is anything to go by, it will go on sale regularly but no regrets,
    even though it emptied out my iTunes credit waiting for the Buddemeyer drum app to drop, but that could still be months off anyway.

This oozes quality both visually and aurally with its lush, rich and deep sounds and I always loved the Animoog blades keyboard.

And, finally, a skeuomorphic UI again! What a relief after all these boring, similar looking, so-called minimalist designs lately!

• @jooga1972 said:
    Couldn't resist, had to buy it. Awesome iOS instrument, no doubt, but based on my initial experiences the Model 15 was designed (and with a good reason) for the latest hardware. My iPad Mini 2, though supported, is simply not powerful enough to handle the task without constant crackling, even in ECO mode and Minimal IOS Signal Processing and no any other apps open. So I'm looking at this as a future investment 'prematurely' completed, one that will prosper on the 9.7 iPad Pro I'm about to buy later this year.

Are you on IOS 9.3 ? Cause anything below causes glitches and pops.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@jooga1972 said:
    Couldn't resist, had to buy it. Awesome iOS instrument, no doubt, but based on my initial experiences the Model 15 was designed (and with a good reason) for the latest hardware. My iPad Mini 2, though supported, is simply not powerful enough to handle the task without constant crackling, even in ECO mode and Minimal IOS Signal Processing and no any other apps open. So I'm looking at this as a future investment 'prematurely' completed, one that will prosper on the 9.7 iPad Pro I'm about to buy later this year.

Are you on IOS 9.3 ? Cause anything below causes glitches and pops.

yep, just edited my original post, latest iOS that is.

• edited May 2016

@jooga1972 said:
    Couldn't resist, had to buy it. Awesome iOS instrument, no doubt, but based on my initial experiences the Model 15 was designed (and with a good reason) for the latest hardware. My iPad Mini 2 (iOS 9.3.2) , though supported, is simply not powerful enough to handle the task without constant crackling, even in ECO mode and Minimal IOS Signal Processing and no any other apps open. So I'm looking at this as a future investment 'prematurely' completed, one that will prosper on the 9.7 iPad Pro I'm about to buy later this year.

You're running the 9.3.2 iOS public beta? Which version? Have you tried rebooting your device after installation?

• edited May 2016

@MoogMusicInc said:

@jooga1972 said:

You're running the 9.3.2 public beta? Which version? Have you tried rebooting your device after installation?

oops, my bad: i'm on iOS 9.3.1, repeat 9.3.1. Sorry. Any feedback/hints on the possible removal of crackles, if the issue is not device-dependent.

• I'm in a 'coma-like' state with Model 15 in a good way, lots of weird noises coming out...

Don't know how possible it is UI-Wise but I wish there was a way to hide modules that are not in use and/or maybe add additional modules (like extra oscillators for modulation or additional envelope-generators).

And when the 'splitters' are all used a Y-Cable would be a nice addition :)

Many of the modules are fun to experiment with. Like the the amplifiers when driving them close to feedback. Feed input 1 with a signal, Output 1 to Input 2, 2 Outout to second Amplifiers Input 1, Output 1 to Input 2 and Output 2 to speakers, be careful with the levels though :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7548740/COMATOSE.m15p

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7548740/comatose.wav
    (How do I record longer than 1 bar with the built-in recorder?).

• @Crabman said:
    anyone already tried some (Filter)FM stuff (audiorate) with it?That's were many"virtual analog"fail to deliver but it's especially interesting with a modular synth.

Model 15 delivers fine with audiorate stuff. I mean, watch your volume obviously, but it works and sounds great.
    Actually, it's really freaking great, and seems better than that other software moog modular, though with less modules.

• @Nathan said:

@carol said:

I was going to buy z3ta and a couple of FX over the next couple of weeks which would have cost the same as this anyway , so would much rather have this one !

If you have a special use for this synth, and it's going to make a difference, then it's worth whatever price you're willing to pay.

I react to pricing like this by thinking do I really need another synth, no matter how good it may be. At something under a tenner, I'd have probably given in to curiosity. But as things stand for the same money, I can get lots of IAP's (what I'm doing the most right now) as and when they appear for Skram, Blocs Wave, Launchpad, etc, etc, thus helping to support several developers over the one.

No one is right no one is wrong.

It ticks a lot of my boxes - great arp , soundscape creation , etc. but the USP of this app , and what my other synths can't match , is the quality of sound . Aside from the iMS20 it's the only app I have that really does sounds as good as the hardware version

They will have a sale , I'm guessing 50% off later in the year ( I bought Animoog for 69p and got the phone version free ) but I wanted this one now . Who knows , I might not be around by the time they have a sale lol