Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep2Auria or Auria2Modstep tutorial

edited April 2016 in App Tips and Tricks

long time no see!

@JohnnyGoodyear Are you really missing me as a friend?

Ya, Guys ....

You need a tutorial on this, so I make it...

Easy going, no need the Ableton Link, dump it....

Lol, just wait me 2 hours, I am doing homework to show you

Comments

• Ok, first thing first; you can not play Modstep AU for Auria P.

I have read lots of your conversation, but somehow it is a myth and confusing state of Modstep, plus lots bugs on Auria on these few month until recent days.

Modstep is a sequencer to sequence midi. Don't give it too much credit for everything. In fact it is awful to it perfect. It can not goes fine by itself. or can play Korgy Gadgeties with, or AUM AU or IAA synth ( no midi synth sync at this moment).

Yes, you can have SoundPrism Link, steppolyarp and fugue machine for it but still not quite right for the timing at all.

Now, things will change a bit, so I intend to follow this topic for Auria. I have found it works well with Auria Pro, at least you should know your Auria, don't waste money on Auria to put it to off self. Auria's sounds and stabilities still the best today!

• Thanks for that. I found Modstep loads Korg Module, but doesn't want to communicate it with Midi. I am using the beta version, so I'm not sure in the full version.

• edited April 2016

Ok,

objective: to sequence Auria by using Modstep to record mdid data back to Auria

1. Go to Auria IAA instrument page to setup 2 tracks, 1st track on channel 1 and 2nd track on channel 2
    2. On 'midi in' this is the source you provide to Auria, think Modstep as your keyboard source, so you tick Modstep here
    3. On 'midi out' you provide track midi data after your recording, this is your destination if you have Modstep IAA (AU) channel on it to let Auria playback Modstep.

Note: list3 has nothing to do for this tutorial setup here, you can leave it off or tick Modstep if you want at moment! See photo

Now we have IAA midi in setup, you can now select your IAA instrument. I use Enkl synth here, Some synths go well here, some a little buggy on IAA slots, so choose at will!

Second track I use Twin2 for demo.

• Now, go to Auria setting page to setup background audio on!

Then midi control page shown on photo here to light on what is in the photo!

Enkl synth, you may leave it off, because you can use Modstep to send clock and notes and link circle and cc to Enkl from Modstep! So both way ok, I prefer use Modstep to control all the midi, so you do not necessary light on Enkl as the photo put here

• ^ do you have MTC enabled for a reason? Modstep doesn't use MTC as far as I'm aware.

• Now back to front page of Auria, the upper right hand corner, tap to click external sync. It is for MMC message.

You can now tap both tracks red button if you are ready to record! Use the red record button as you did normally!

When you ready to record, press the the green play button and finish by the stop button or any of the above button to stop Auria's midi recording!

• Now we go to Modstep,

On setting page you do tick Auria as shown. You do not tick Modstep as Source or Destination!

Particularly, you do need to provide clock to Modstep, so on the source side, you tick clock to Modstep! The clock should not be on destination.

For Enkl, if you did not light on on Auria, you can light it on destination here for sending clock and notes to Enkl, because Modstep is the midi driver here, it is not the Auria to drive to, but you can do it on Auria to to send to Enkl, choose one app to decide Auria or Mostep to send (only one, not both)

• Ok, now you arm the 1st and 2nd midi track on Modstep. For midi in and out, choose Auria because you set up the setting circle to Auria, now you specify midi channel for the tracks.

It is very important whenever you decide to recording midi data back to Auria, you always touch the the right hand side to let Modstep go to the first part of misi clip or loop by touch it! Then you press the playhead to stop play midi loop, after stop the loop, you press rewind to the begining! This is how you set up a brand new recording ready for Auria to press recording!

• edited April 2016

Remember, if the Auria buffer size is 512, you do the same for Modstep setting page!

In addition, you should try to adjust the Modstep clock delay, I do + 60ms delay here for the 2 tracks on 80 bpm to let Auria have better midi timing correction, so you need to check the midi pattern window of Auria to see the differences, then do the adjustment!

• When you finish recording, unarm the recording red button and unarm 2 tracks red button too! Now go back to Modstep to stop the playhead!

You should figure out now, even though you stop and unarm Auria, you find Modstep still runing in the backend! You flip back to Modstep to stop the playhead!

Modstep can not follow the stop command by Auria! Do it manually!

• To conclude:

I have played around Modstep for few months! I was stopping the play until this update! I am tired to play until now!

It is obvious Modstep is quite good! But those mini crashes and locked Modstep app, IAA issue ( not necessary Modstep's fault) made me giving up.

Until recent, IMPC Pro provides midi learn function! I love it! But again, the pads of Modstep can not be saved safely to Dropbox or some sort! i hate iTunes things, I do not want to anything to do with computer! So I give up!

Now, this time, it is comfortable to have Korgy Gadget 16 channel as Godsend! So that is good news for Modsteper! Now I provide you guys a way to take Modstep to Auria!

In Auria you can do more for midi tracks! Unfortunately, Auira has no midi clip playing and looping method! You now combine the two, you cansettle down a bit to stabilize a bit more! This is my intention to write this up for you.

Cheers

• edited April 2016

@sleepless said:
    ^ do you have MTC enabled for a reason? Modstep doesn't use MTC as far as I'm aware.

Is this strange, isn't it?

To let Modstep to work for Auria, this is the only way I found working!

Originally, I want Modstep to drive Auria! To drive Auria, you need MTC, then tick external sync, but it doesn't work! So I made some experiment to let this setup working! So this is how to let Auria to drive Modstep! So this is my dummy way to do it for the tutorial! I have no choice to do any other way for this 2 apps to work together!

Hopefully, developers seeing this to make further updating!

• Great job master Kaikoo!!!! Please continue tutorials on Modstep. Its very deep app but we need tutorials like yours to make simple recordings.
    Can you explain how to get Navichord midi chords into Modstep next?

• If @rim eventually adds Ableton Link to Auria Pro, I suppose this would make it a lot easier, especially as a lot of apps are finally catching up by adding this now? ....... Anyway, thanks again @Kaikoo2 for this information. Very much appreciated. ;)

• Just a thought. But have you done experimenting with Midi Sync Link, by connecting ModStep with Auria? I wonder if this would make things easier?

• edited April 2016

@Tones4Christ said:
    Great job master Kaikoo!!!! Please continue tutorials on Modstep. Its very deep app but we need tutorials like yours to make simple recordings.

Have not try it. The reason I have not tried it is because I am already satisfied by marrying Navichord to Auria! They work very well for me, just inserting Navi to midi in slot.

I actually contact the Navichord developer 3 days ago for better all!

I have a lot conversation with DRC developer personally, so now you see the DRC update. Today I write again to Imaginando DRC again! So far I quite satified with DRC. It is very unique worthy synth!

For DRC, try its arp with SoundPrsim on default preset with Auria's Psp echo, you will see what I meant for it!

• edited April 2016

@studs1966 said:
    If @rim eventually adds Ableton Link to Auria Pro, I suppose this would make it a lot easier, especially as a lot of apps are finally catching up by adding this now? ....... Anyway, thanks again @Kaikoo2 for this information. Very much appreciated. ;)

Link will provide better beginning recording timing, so this setup's delay adjustment could be eliminated by Auria's Ableton Link.

@studs1966 said:
    Just a thought. But have you done experimenting with Midi Sync Link, by connecting ModStep with Auria? I wonder if this would make things easier?

Not all apps works well with Midi Link Sync! I used it from time to time! I did practiced Midi Link Sync yesterday again, the app does want to follow the way of that! I forgot those apps! Ya, Korgy Gadget needs a clock out and midi out on this Midi Link Sync thingie!

I want better setup, as simple as possible I try to achieve! So this tutorial is simply best for Twin2, One, and Lyra! Plus some extra IAA synths to go with!

• edited April 2016

One more thing to all,

I find the Assistive Touch very useful on iPad screen because too many flippings could damage the home button! Just a single assistive without other function to attach to it is quite user friendly for iPad. I am never worry again to massively flipping lots of music apps! >:)

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Great job master Kaikoo!!!! Please continue tutorials on Modstep. Its very deep app but we need tutorials like yours to make simple recordings.

I try to satisfy my answer to you,

First, there is no both clock in and clock out fuction on Navichord, so I already ask developer few days ago for this things, it depends on developer Denis to.....

The photos here is to control Animoog, I found no way to control AU iSem!

So you can only do manually running chord progression and melody from Navi to Mod!

• edited April 2016

@Tones4Christ said:

I forgot to show you Animoog part....

It is important to choose midi in on Navichord Virtual out for Animoog app on Modstep setting, not Modstep itself! Because 'midi in' source is Navi not the Mod! You do not tick Modstep here!

midi out destination is Animoog, no problem here on Modstep photo!

No polypressure ticking! modstep do not respond to polypressure!

• @Kaikoo2 Captain K, it IS you. Excellent.

They say the difference between dogs and wives can be found by locking both in the garage for an hour; open the door and only one will be pleased to see you. I AM pleased to see you. Woof!

And now I will go back and read your tutorial :)

• I liked that line ^ way better than my wife did!