Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

scriptSONIC free

Announcing scriptSONIC free!

I get the feeling people are curious about scriptSONIC, but the price is stopping them trying it out. I'm therefore releasing a free version that let's you play around with the included examples, but doesn't allow you to save or create new projects.

Get it on the app store here:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/scriptsonic-free/id1095295020

I'm also dropping the price of the full version to $11.99 / 11.99€ / £8.99 for the time being - that's better than half-price!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scriptsonic/id954637037

Comments

• I'll be the first to thank you sir! Also if you put up how to videos I'm sure you'd get a lot more bites. I think people are still afraid of coding, probably especially if all they want to do is make music/noise ;)

• Nice. Great to have you here @macduff.

Can you edit the code of the examples with the free version to get a sense of what that process is like?

• hi @syrupcore - yes, you can freely edit, but not save or export

• Would love a video, but if not that, it'd be great to hear from any of the brethren who have a dabble.

• edited April 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear - there's a short video of it in action at www.scriptsonic.com - or do you mean a hands-on tutorial type thing?

• @JohnnyGoodyear
    What kind of thing would you like to see in action? Maybe I could help

• @macduff said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear - there's a short video of it in action at www.scriptsonic.com - or do you mean a hands-on tutorial type thing?

Exactly. Next best thing to being in the room with someone who knows what they're doing. It's like visiting a foreign city with a local; huge difference.

• @mschenkel.it said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear
    What kind of thing would you like to see in action? Maybe I could help

Very kind. Just would like to see a gentle intro. I suppose that's why I have always been such a Sir Doug fan. By the time I've seen his overview of any app I usually have a good idea a) how to get started and b) what my expectations for the app might be (especially in light of my own limitations :)).

• ...to piggy back on the good Mr. Goodyear... I'd like to see a couple of simple examples made from scratch. Like an 8 step sequencer or a single sample granular manipulator. Basically simplified versions of the instruments in the video created step by step.

Also, some slightly larger code examples within the documentation. Most methods have a basic use example but seeing stuff in context really helps me.

Is there any way to use an external code editor with it? Either another app or some magical connection to the desktop?

It's super sweet that underscore is included. Can we include our own library code? Is that what the 5 editor pages is about?

• so I'll try to make a video of the drum machine I've coded if I can recall how I built it:)

• hi @syrupcore - i hear you! video tutorials have been on my to-do list for some time. @mshenkel.it has been doing some good things with sS so look forward to seeing his videos too

to edit externally you can import/export javascript files, but it's not that streamlined a process. it's something i've been thinking about...

yes, you can import library code via a js file. the 5 editor pages are just to make it easy to switch between code snippets and yes, imported files if you want

• Sweet. Thanks macduff.

Maybe an internal FTP server? Then we could open a file in vim or whatever via ftp and save directly as we work. Would be missing the console obviously but maybe worth it for syntax highlighting, snippets, linting...

• Not a fan of JavaScript but the app looks cool, quite innovative.

But it performs very badly on the iPad 2 so my very short journey into algorithmic composition w/ ScriptSonic is over :(

• sorry to hear that @yug. i tested on the ipad2 and found that the performance was quite good considering its cpu. please let me know what problems you had. were you driving other synths, & if so which ones?

• edited April 2016

@macduff said:
    sorry to hear that @yug. i tested on the ipad2 and found that the performance was quite good considering its cpu. please let me know what problems you had. were you driving other synths, & if so which ones?

No, I spent 10 mins playing with some of the default non-midi projects like poly arp.

When it's playing and I tap one of the cells to edit its contents, the playhead and the audio stop for about 1 sec and resume after the popup window and keyboard are shown. I also have the same annoying stutter effect when switching between play and edit modes.

When stopped, it seems to work fine except that I really dislike the code popup animation. Also, I'd love to have syntax highlighting

I'm experimenting with controlling my synths from Pythonista. It's great but can't do live coding. Would be nice to see performance improvements to Scriptsonic (if it's possible of course, the iPad 2 is an old device, so no high hopes) - it's a very different animal and I'd be happy to have it in my arsenal

PS. Hmm, I have to try it driving other synths

• Hi @yug - thanks for your reply. I've had another play with it on the iPad 2 and yes, fair point, I think it's just on the borderline of being able to cope. Projects that play samples are more CPU intensive than those that just generate MIDI, and the number of concurrent Loops obviously makes a difference. So yes, try some of the MIDI only projects...

Like you say, the problem is most apparent when triggering UI activity, like play/edit toggle or editing Event code, as seen by the load icon going from green to red. I think I can probably improve on this - most of the projects work OK when being played, it's just some of the iOS UI stuff that needs tweaking.