Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai EIE - help me understand the channels

First off, this issue is probably not specific to Audiobus, but I know several folks one this board have this interface and I'm hoping they can help me figure this out.

It appears that some apps see the EIE as having 4 mono channels. However, there are a few apps (Audiobus included) that appear to interpret the EIE as having 2 stereo channels.

For instance, if I plug a microphone into Channel 1, boot up Audiobus, set Input = Microphone and Output = Speakers, I get sound out of the left side. If I plug into Channel 2, then it comes out of the right side. This makes recording a single mic problematic. Other apps which behave this way are AudioReverb and MusicStudio.

But if I go into Garageband or one of the guitar simulation apps, they seem to understand that the EIE has 4 mono channels and works as I would expect.

My main use for the Akai EIE would be recording classical guitar with a mic; with a bit of reverb provided by AudioReverb. It doesn't seem like this is going to work out for me.

Does this make sense to anyone else or am I talking nonsense? :)

Comments

• edited August 2013

I think JamUp (free version) outputs a centered mono signal, and you can choose to input L, R, or L+R. This should work for you:

JamUp input

AudioReverb effect

speaker output

• This works for me with Focusrite 2i2 and the function should be similar using channels 1 and 2 on your EIE. Let us know if this works!

• yeah, you'll need to put a guitar sim at the input and set it to bypass or whatever. Would be a nice feature of some future audiobus where you can select your input when using microphone input. @michael already has the code in loopy... :)

• Thanks guys, I'll do some more experimentation.

Hmtx, if I understand your comment correctly: the Focusrite does this also? So this this not something specific to the Akai?

• edited August 2013

This does in fact work as suggested:

Jamup XT -> AudioVerb -> Speaker (or MusicStudio etc for recording)

I was afraid that Jamup might color the input but that seems to be fine. In fact I was able to insert the EQ pedal and boost the signal slightly for recording.