Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG NanoKontrol Studio's first review isn't stellar.

Comments

• Do I take it from that review that a computer editor is needed? Will be crossed off my list for use with an iPad if it needs a computer to get the most out of it.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Do I take it from that review that a computer editor is needed? Will be crossed off my list for use with an iPad if it needs a computer to get the most out of it.

Korg have updated the Kontrol Editor program to work with Nano Key and Kontrol studio, don't know if you need to use it to get up and running, but you will if you want to customise the settings

• Not a deal breaker for me (I have a laptop) as long as the keys feel nice (I imagine they are the same as the nanokey, which I know nothing about) and I hope the Bluetooth latency is not bad (the main reason I'm interested in this controller is the Bluetooth, that way I can plug my guitar in the lightning port and keep an extra small setup, without extra audio interface)

• The reviewer complained about not being able to find the manual, but the manual is right here:
    http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/552/#manual

• He clearly bought this for a computer, it is a product aimed at Ipad (gadget specifically). I doubt it's hard to setup for pc/mac. It would just be mapping software to the device. Pretty easy stuff generally. Always take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, never know the aptitude of the person behind the review ;)

• @mireko_2 said:
    ... it is a product aimed at Ipad (gadget specifically). I doubt it's hard to setup for pc/mac.

upon seeing it, i thought the same. oddly enough though, the manual makes absolutely no mention of Gadget and makes it look like it's aimed at controlling a computer DAW.

• @jbuonacc said:

@mireko_2 said:
    ... it is a product aimed at Ipad (gadget specifically). I doubt it's hard to setup for pc/mac.

upon seeing it, i thought the same. oddly enough though, the manual makes absolutely no mention of Gadget and makes it look like it's aimed at controlling a computer DAW.

Defiantly aimed at Gadget, going by the demos at namm. Korg have never been good with manuals :D

• I just got one. No iOS apps in the bundle. It controlled gadget's faders right out of the box but no play stop. There are a bunch of presets for MAC\PC DAWs in the editor. The lights chase when it's hooked up to the editor. Here is to hoping for some kind of step sequencer mode for gadget! It's looking like to get the most out of the 5 scenes is to program it. Seems to be single midi channel. I thought for sure I saw in one of the NAMM videos they mentioned an iPad editor.

• @Condorman said:
    I just got one. No iOS apps in the bundle. It controlled gadget's faders right out of the box but no play stop. There are a bunch of presets for MAC\PC DAWs in the editor. The lights chase when it's hooked up to the editor. Here is to hoping for some kind of step sequencer mode for gadget! It's looking like to get the most out of the 5 scenes is to program it. Seems to be single midi channel. I thought for sure I saw in one of the NAMM videos they mentioned an iPad editor.

Has it aftertouch?

• @Cinebient said:

@Condorman said:
    I just got one. No iOS apps in the bundle. It controlled gadget's faders right out of the box but no play stop. There are a bunch of presets for MAC\PC DAWs in the editor. The lights chase when it's hooked up to the editor. Here is to hoping for some kind of step sequencer mode for gadget! It's looking like to get the most out of the 5 scenes is to program it. Seems to be single midi channel. I thought for sure I saw in one of the NAMM videos they mentioned an iPad editor.

Has it aftertouch?

I have the Nanokontrol studio not the Nanokeys studio. Nanokeys does not appear to be available yet.

• @Condorman

My main question are

• Does Nanokontrol Studio work with Auria Pro using the Mackie Hui or Mcu protocoll ?
    • Are all contols (jogwheel, transport etc) supported for Auria Pro ?

In germany both new controllers don't seem to be available yet at the german Thomann.de music store yet.

• @Condorman great to hear it works with Gadgets faders. Weird, because Korg just told me on their Facebook page that it wouldn't do that:

Me:
    The nanoKontrol Studio is out now, and I want to buy it but I'd like confirmation that it will be able to control Gadget's mixer.

Korg:
    Currently, there is no feature in Gadget to control the mixer or transport.

• @mireko_2 said:
    Always take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, never know the aptitude of the person behind the review ;)

Absolutely - yes the Amazon link is a Review but by an unknown quantity reviewer. I'm looking forward to some of the trustworthy's thoughts on these intriguing units.

• @gburks said:
    @Condorman great to hear it works with Gadgets faders. Weird, because Korg just told me on their Facebook page that it wouldn't do that:

Me:
    The nanoKontrol Studio is out now, and I want to buy it but I'd like confirmation that it will be able to control Gadget's mixer.

Korg:

Yep out of the box. I believe it ships with the Cubase Mackie HUI as default. Last night I threw it into assignable mode and messed with AUM with apps through audiobus. Had to load Gadget into one of the spots to get it to connect Bluetooth. MIDI learned the faders in AUM. The mute and solo do not appear to latch out of the box so I'm sure I'll have to edit those somehow.

• @_ki said:
    @Condorman

My main question are

• Does Nanokontrol Studio work with Auria Pro using the Mackie Hui or Mcu protocoll ?
    • Are all contols (jogwheel, transport etc) supported for Auria Pro ?

In germany both new controllers don't seem to be available yet at the german Thomann.de music store yet.

Not sure yet. I'll try Auria today. Non pro.

• @Condorman said:

Thanks a lot for trying. Pro/Non Pro should not matter as the Nanokontrol Studio should control all the mixer gui

• jogwheel should set song position
    • transport control buttons should work
    • faders should react
    • mute/solo/record enable
    • What is the select button on each track for ?
    • I dont know what the track buttons will do (change selected track, what does this influence ?)
    • Do the marker buttons just set a marker (an AP feature i didnt use yet) or the loop region ( a feature that would be usefull to have real buttons for) ?

The Korg Nanokontrol Studio Manual is not really helpfull, perhaps i should try to find a Mackie Hui spec to get a better insight of what the protocoll offers...

• @_ki said:

@Condorman said:

Thanks a lot for trying. Pro/Non Pro should not matter as the Nanokontrol Studio should control all the mixer gui

• jogwheel should set song position
    • transport control buttons should work
    • faders should react
    • mute/solo/record enable
    • What is the select button on each track for ?
    • I dont know what the track buttons will do (change selected track, what does this influence ?)
    • Do the marker buttons just set a marker (an AP feature i didnt use yet) or the loop region ( a feature that would be usefull to have real buttons for) ?

The Korg Nanokontrol Studio Manual is not really helpfull, perhaps i should try to find a Mackie Hui spec to get a better insight of what the protocoll offers...

I messed with it for a few minutes. I threw it into Cubase mode which is suppose to be Mackie HUI(Did not check the manual though) and I could not get anything to register in Auria. Suppose I should try it in Cubasis and see what happens :)

• You probably also need to enable the external Mackie Hui/Mcu mode in thenAuriaPros settings - knowing if the controller works well with cubasis is also quite interesting :)

• @Condorman said:

@gburks said:
    @Condorman great to hear it works with Gadgets faders. Weird, because Korg just told me on their Facebook page that it wouldn't do that:

Me:

Korg:

Yep out of the box. I believe it ships with the Cubase Mackie HUI as default. Last night I threw it into assignable mode and messed with AUM with apps through audiobus. Had to load Gadget into one of the spots to get it to connect Bluetooth. MIDI learned the faders in AUM. The mute and solo do not appear to latch out of the box so I'm sure I'll have to edit those somehow.

Does this mean that Gadget secretly supports HUI? Has anyone tried a different HUI controller with it?

• Who else has this? @Condorman , anyone else?

New Gadget update says firmware update required, but when clicking OK, it just takes me to the Korg homepage. Can't find the firmware update anywhere on their site. Anyone know where to find it?

• edited March 2016

@gburks said:
    Who else has this? @Condorman , anyone else?

New Gadget update says firmware update required, but when clicking OK, it just takes me to the Korg homepage. Can't find the firmware update anywhere on their site. Anyone know where to find it?

Is this what you are looking for?

korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/552/

• @Telengard said:

@gburks said:
    Who else has this? @Condorman , anyone else?

Is this what you are looking for?

korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/552/

No. This is where Korg would normally put a "system updater" or firmware update, but the update that Gadget says is required is not posted there.

• I tried in gadget today after the new update and the transport now seems to work. Did not try throwing gadget into advanced midi mode to see if there was anything else I could trigger or assign. The cycle button toggles the green loop button. The select button toggles the midi button on the channel. I did try again with Auria enabling Nanokontrol as a remote both in and out and the lights did respond once connected but no action. Had to bluetooth connect via a bluetooth aware app. Is Rim wants me to pedal over on the way home I would be willing to stop by Auria's offices here in Chicago on my way back to Evanston from downtown. :)

• Does anyone know if the Korg Taktile's midi implementation for Gadget matches the new nanostudio's?

• @Condorman said:
    I tried in gadget today after the new update and the transport now seems to work. Did not try throwing gadget into advanced midi mode to see if there was anything else I could trigger or assign. The cycle button toggles the green loop button. The select button toggles the midi button on the channel. I did try again with Auria enabling Nanokontrol as a remote both in and out and the lights did respond once connected but no action. Had to bluetooth connect via a bluetooth aware app. Is Rim wants me to pedal over on the way home I would be willing to stop by Auria's offices here in Chicago on my way back to Evanston from downtown. :)

Did Gadget ask you to update the nanoKontrol Studio firmware?

• edited March 2016

Definitely looking forward to more reviews on this one. Seems like the ultimate desktop Loopy controller. Wishes: iOS programmer app (remotely possible) and a regular MIDI jack (not remotely possible!).

Kind of surprised we haven't seen a nanoseries grid controller yet. A little 4x8 jobby with 8 pots and an xy pad. And a nanoseries synth controller. No keyboard but a basic subtractive synth layout that would cover a number of different gadgets as well as the basics of ims-20 and ipolysix.

• @syrupcore said:
    Kind of surprised we haven't seen a nanoseries grid controller yet. A little 4x8 jobby with 8 pots and an xy pad.

That would be great (for ModStep) but wouldn't that only be likely to happen if Korg decided to go with clip play for Gadget?

• @gburks said:

@Condorman said:
    I tried in gadget today after the new update and the transport now seems to work. Did not try throwing gadget into advanced midi mode to see if there was anything else I could trigger or assign. The cycle button toggles the green loop button. The select button toggles the midi button on the channel. I did try again with Auria enabling Nanokontrol as a remote both in and out and the lights did respond once connected but no action. Had to bluetooth connect via a bluetooth aware app. Is Rim wants me to pedal over on the way home I would be willing to stop by Auria's offices here in Chicago on my way back to Evanston from downtown. :)

Did Gadget ask you to update the nanoKontrol Studio firmware?

nope

• Dude, I feel your pain @gburks and I don't even have the NKStudio. I'm frusterated for you!
    Good luck!