Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

Comments

• The overload in saturn plugin will be reduced considerably, if the HQ is disabled, @MusicInclusive

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2016

I just checked on my IPad Air, IOS 8.3, Auria Pro

• CPU 65% when Saturn GUI is not visible
    • CPU 67% with Saturn GUI open

( New project, Buffersize 4096, 1 audio track, Saturn insert fx with Fudge Ripple preset )

• I will send FabFilter an e-mail about this, asking about Saturn. Maybe there's something that needs to be done in terms of optimizations. One major thing that changed between Auria 1 and 2 is that everything went to 64 bit. So all plugin developers had to update their plugins to 64 bit as well.

Rim

• edited January 2016

Ah - you've spotted something I overlooked there @crzycrs - HQ setting was ON in Auria Pro by default for Fudge Ripple and OFF by default in Auria 1. THAT has made a difference. Excellent tip - thank you!!!!
    That's kinda made my evening! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rim @WaveMachineLabs ^^^^

OK. So, with HQ off on iOS 9.1, mini 2, I'm back down to a much more understandable 26%

And, even on the iPad 3, iOS 8.4, I'm at 65% - now usable.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I feel hugged! wondersofdisney.yolasite.com/resources/winniethepooh/group/poohgrouphug.png

• Phew. Very pleased to hear this @MusicInclusive.

• Same here will check HQ in mine and report back.

• @MusicInclusive said:
    Ah - you've spotted something I overlooked there @crzycrs - HQ setting was ON in Auria Pro by default for Fudge Ripple and OFF by default in Auria 1. THAT has made a difference. Excellent tip - thank you!!!!
    That's kinda made my evening! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rim @WaveMachineLabs ^^^^

OK. So, with HQ off on iOS 9, mini 2, I'm back down to a much more understandable 26%

And, even on the iPad 3, I'm at 65% - now usable.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I feel hugged! wondersofdisney.yolasite.com/resources/winniethepooh/group/poohgrouphug.png

HQ provides 8 times oversampling. Of course, brings burden.

• I have this weird thing happening with Volcano2 in Auria Pro, as of late: I always "play" with self-oscillating filters in Volcano, but lately Volcano doesn't let the first instantiated filter self-oscillate, no sound! If I bring in a second filter, this one does it, when I then delete the first filter, of course, the second becomes the first (since: the only one) and: stops oscillating...! I tried with the included presets, and the same thing happens: filter 1 never self-oscillates-!? Strange. I can trick it to do as I wish by having an input signal going in shortly, which lets filter 1do its thing, after which (with input shut off, again) it does go on making the self-oscillating-joy I asked of it. Funny, though. Does anyone experience similar weirdities...?

• edited January 2016

I wondering how accurate the CPU metering in AP is - at what reading on the meter does the audio really start to break up / stutter, irregardless of what the meter is reading ?

I've only been looking at AP for a few days now, so I don't have any projects I've created that really tax the CPU (Air2 / iOS 9.1) I can see the 'hungriness' of some twin 2 presets / Fabfilter MB in isolation, but not in the context of a full track with lots going on.

• Great tip @crzcrs !

With HQ off, its only 15% with Saturn gui visible and 14% without on IPad Air, IOS 8.3 :)

• @Igneous1 according to Rim whenever the CPU hits 100% there will be a click of some sort, even if it's subtle.

• I was recording Geoshred into AP last night via Audiobus. It seemed to work fine for recordings up to around a minute, but if I went over, AP would crash and then restart, reloading the project as it was at the start of the recording, so that performance would be lost. Any suggestions on what may be going wrong, or fixes?

• The CPU meter in Auria is a high precision timer that measures the amount of time left over in the audio thread, after each buffer. I've noticed something odd in iOS9, where the audio thread performance is affected by graphics usage. For example, opening a channelstrip window makes the CPU usage decrease by a small amount. It's not a large effect, and when you switch the meter to MAX, there's really no difference anyway. This is similar to what we experienced in iOS7 where scrolling was affecting audio thread performance, but this time it's much less severe. Hopefully Apple will sort this out in upcoming iOS releases.

Rim

• Further to my recording issue above, I just had AP just close when I was simply playing back a song. Only 5 tracks in total, 4 of which were playing at the time, 2 audio and 2 midi, and using an iPad Pro. I am starting to get worried...

• edited January 2016

Hi folks. Another question - a MIDI question.

In the past, with Auria 1, I have been used to recording audio from an IAA loaded instrument in FX 1 on an audio track.

I had supposed that I might be able to record the audio from an instrument loaded on a MIDI track, concurrently with recording the MIDI - I do that in desktop DAWs quite a bit.

So, I had assumed, e.g., I could send the output from track 1, a MIDI track with, say, Animoog loaded, to BUS1 instead of L/R, and then on an audio track, track 2, take the input from BUS1 and simultaneously record the audio.

I can set the input to be BUS1 on track 2, but (as I have read in the manual also) when I arm track 2 to record, it changes to mic. YET, when I don't arm track 2, BUS1's audio appears to be seen by track 2 (at least, as viewed by the metering).

Is this a restriction for some reason and is it likely to change? I like to record both audio and MIDI concurrently as I say, so that I can then, if satisfied with the audio, just keep that, or if I want to tweak the audio, could go back to the MIDI, change it a little perhaps, hit record again and let it record the audio again from the new MIDI sequence. And /or even decide to change the patch or instrument and record different audio again with the same MIDI. I'd like to be able to do all of those things without having to destructively bounce the MIDI down in place to audio.

Am I missing something? Is this possible some other way? Seems like one would have to copy and paste the MIDI to a second MIDI track, bounce it down, and then if changes are desired, change the original, use a different instrument etc. Rinse and repeat.

Or have I got it wrong? :wink:

• edited January 2016

Ah. I have a partial solution - I think. I did it backwards!

OK. So, what I have done, that works, is to set up an audio track 1st, say, track 1 and load Animoog in FX 1

Then, set up a MIDI track and set the instrument to be Off, but set the Input to be Animoog [virtual] and also make sure I've set that in Animoog's MIDI output.

Et - voila! That seems to have done the trick.

So, now, I guess, one can then send that MIDI as output to another virtual instrument on another audio track in say the FX1 slot. Right? Yep. That'll work. Then it's never destructive in-place. Cool :smiley:

Answered my own question :wink:

• Its so deep, that I myself have been figuring things out on my own as well. I decided to create a brand new project with no audio tracks and just add as I go. It has helped me keep focus a ND find out my mistakes. But AP is definitely deep.

• OK. So did a video of what I was talking about - the solution anyhow:

I start off showing the destructive bounce to audio from a MIDI track, then how to record both audio and MIDI concurrently from Animoog (i.e. without having to bounce the MIDI down to audio and losing the MIDI but keeping both), then how to use that same MIDI to drive a second synth - Addictive.

Enjoy (Might take a moment for YT to catch up with the higher resolutions - sometimes does).

• Of course, you could copy the MIDI to a second track and the just bounce the first one, but, I am particularly interested in doing the two concurrently.

• @MusicInclusive said:
    OK. So did a video of what I was talking about - the solution anyhow:

I start off showing the destructive bounce to audio from a MIDI track, then how to record both audio and MIDI concurrently from Animoog (i.e. without having to bounce the MIDI down to audio and losing the MIDI but keeping both), then how to use that same MIDI to drive a second synth - Addictive.

Enjoy (Might take a moment for YT to catch up with the higher resolutions - sometimes does).

Thanks a lot for this.

• edited January 2016

That is great video! Thanks for sharing.

But I do different way, because I use sequencer & arp to drive synths. In my case, Auria sends clock to sequencer, so I need to insert apps to midi track. Also, need to go midi setup page to make midi in/out arrangement. A even more complex situation is to use Fugue to drive StepPolyArp, then SPA drive synth, then route that midi to Auria. It works!

Bouncing sometimes has problems, that is not Auria's problem at all, problem belongs to app itself! (For example, SynthMaster Player has bouncing problem in current version).

So the way to do is to route and solo that midi track and record the midi sound to another audio track, and that audio track has 'master' for the input and red the button to record midi.

Anyway, they all work! Thanks again!

• edited January 2016

That's what I was trying to do first of all @Kaikoo - reroute the audio from the MIDI hosted instrument by bussing it to an audio track (in my original Q posting above - not the video) which didn't work the way I expected it to - but I guess I'm still missing how you do that. Anyhow - I found a solution that works for me in my circumstances presently, but I'd love to understand what you said too by way of an example. Perhaps a couple of screenshots if you don't have time to do a video?

• edited January 2016

There is a button call midi overdub mode, check user manual for details.

Photo here is just to put Master to the audio track input, I am not having problem at all.
    Then second photo shows that recorded audio track.

• edited January 2016

Oh - cool. Thank you @Kaikoo! I made it work combining your explanation and pictures. I'll do another video at some point shortly and credit you :+1:

So, step by step.

1. Set up a MIDI track with your instrument (e.g. Animoog as in the 1st part of the video.)
    2. Set up an audio track and then in track view, select "MIDI Record Overdub Mode" from the Edit menu
    3. Flip back to the the mixer pane, arm both tracks, and where it says MIC in red for the Input for the audio track, tap and change to Master
    4. Now record as before
    5. Both the audio and MIDI are recorded.
    6. Turn off the MIDI Record OverDub Mode afterwards if you don't want to continue doing more of the same.

Excellent! Nice to have options. Thank you! :smiley:

• Good Teamwork Men!

• edited January 2016

Actually you don't need the overdub mode on. Unless you are overdubbing :smile: Still would like to not have to go via the master and rather simply send to a bus and record from a bus. Hope that can be added as it make more sense to me coming from desktop DAWs.

• edited January 2016

@MusicInclusive said:
    Actually you don't need the overdub mode on. Unless you are overdubbing :smile: Still would like to not have to go via the master and rather simply send to a bus and record from a bus. Hope that can be added as it make more sense to me coming from desktop DAWs.

There is another way to do, just press 'mixdown' button in the Menu bar, select 'import as a new track' and export 'off'. You have your audio track now. Ya, solo a midi track for doing it.

• This is deep stuff guys. Rock on!

• Very clear explanations - great work guys!

• Interesting. I did a rendition of My Lady Care's Dompy as a MIDI import through the Ruckers 1628 app. When I tried to do it using it as a MIDI instrument then bouncing down, it seemed to not get things quite right. Some of the initial notes were quite staccato as though the MIDI durations had not been sent properly, and then there were odd glitches in the audio. At no time did I max out CPU. However, when driving Ruckers 1628 on an audio track (in the same manner as my video above, i.e. sending from the MIDI to an IAA instrument in FX1 on an audio track), there were no odd things and it recorded just fine. I've included the (good) end result below because, well, why not - enjoy! :smile:

Rim @WaveMachineLabs - I can send you the MIDI file if you like (or you can download it directly - quite small - from 8notes.com) and you can test it out, see if there's something odd going on that's repeatable. It's not a long piece.