Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

Comments

• This thread is so informative thanks all!
    Question: Could some one put a screenshot of their recommended PSP channel strip settings for recording a vocal track with a singer that can get pretty loud at times. No outboard gear except a condenser mix from the sonic port vx.

• @Tones4Christ at the recording stage you really just need to avoid clipping, so aim for the loudest parts of the performance to hit -18 on the meter (adjust the gain on the Sonic Port) and record the performance without any processing.

That will give you the most flexibility later, and you can decide how to compress the vocals at the mix stage. For example if you just want to tame the loudest passages you can set a high threshold on the compression with a very high ratio to make only the very loudest passages quieter, or alternatively you might want to do some more aggressive compression of the whole vocal performance by setting a lower ratio - both of these options will sound quite different from each other but there is no right or wrong approach, it's really more a matter of taste.

• Thanks for everyone's input on this thread, as an AP newby it is really useful.
    To return to the Drumagog subject from a few pages ago, I thought that the Lyra drums were sourced from Drumagog, so what is the difference between using Lyra drums and triggering Drumagog with midi? More content? More control?

• Drumagog is really for sample or sound replacement IMO, for MIDI drums Lyra makes a lot more sense.

• edited January 2016

Hi all. Well, having just updated to AP on one iPad mini 2 running 9.1 which I use for testing things, I thought I would try it. But, I'm seeing very high CPU usage in some instances.

I recorded a single stereo audio track, added Saturn in an FX slot, and with Fudge Ripple, the CPU is > 80% immediately with Auria Pro on iOS 9.1. No MIDI, just a single stereo audio track.

On another iPad mini 2 running 7.1.2, I loaded a single track project in Auria (not Auria 2 even) loaded Saturn with Fudge Ripple in an FX slot and not more than 20%.

So, what's the tip I need here?

I should add - it's not the buffer setting. The setting on the 7.1.2 system is 256. On the 9.1 system it's 512.

• The CPU issue is innacurate. I think Rim is aware of it and has said i believe to just look at the max cpu for now. I'm not sure but I just ignore it for as everything runs smooth. IOS 8.2 Air 1.

• I believe that iOS9 seems to have some weird CPU spikes according to reports here and on the Auria forum. I'm still on 8 so can't confirm.

• edited January 2016

Oh. I seem to recall something like that being said @Tones4Christ. But, please remind me, what max CPU am I looking at? It's sitting there maxed at 80% just loading. Doing nothing. Before I hit play. Is there another meter I should be looking at? I tap on the CPU meter to change it to max and it says the same thing.

• Yeah, i wouldn't really get too concerned about it for now. As long as your audio is not crackling or something.

• edited January 2016

Here you go: See the Max CPU in the pic? Am I meant to be looking somewhere else? This is while playing. I was inaccurate before - it was 72% when just loaded and 80% when finished playing. Apologies. But, as you see - 84% when playing.

max1.PNG 120.8K
  • Hmmm. That's troubling @richardyot :neutral:

• That's pretty typical when using one instance of Drumagog with such a low buffer size. I would only recommend 4096 when using Drumagog. In the original Auria version, there was no way to set buffer sizes (only during recording). In that version, the buffer was always 4096 when playing (unless a third party app set the buffer ahead of time).

Rim

• edited January 2016

I'm confused though Rim @WaveMachineLabs - why the difference between 7.1.2 / Auria and 9.1 / Auria Pro with essentially the same setup (although as I mentioned, 256 buffer on 7.1.2 Auria vs. 512 on 9.1 Auria Pro). That seems a large disparity 20% -> 80+% I'm not using Drumagog here. Just Saturn as an FX on a simple audio track. Am I doing something wrong? Are you saying I'm seeing 4096 buffer on 7.1.2 / Auria in any case? Hmmm. That may be it. I had not understood that properly before all this time with Auria if so :smile:

• I just tried adding Saturn with the Fudge Ripple preset to a project of mine with only 2 tracks (yet) and it peaked at 94% on an iPad Pro. No glitching though. I suspect it is a metering issue rather actually using that level of cpu, but it is a little worrying.

• edited January 2016

Hmmm. Nope. Set it to 4096 on 9.1 - still maxing around 80%. Tried again on 7.1.2 looking at the max rather than running value and max it's only hitting 43%.

Also, just ran it on a mini 1 - iPad 2 speeds - and only hit 43% max also.

• @WaveMachineLabs said:
    That's pretty typical when using one instance of Drumagog with such a low buffer size. I would only recommend 4096 when using Drumagog. In the original Auria version, there was no way to set buffer sizes (only during recording). In that version, the buffer was always 4096 when playing (unless a third party app set the buffer ahead of time).

Rim

Hehe, I've been running Drumagog on 8 channels simultaneously, triggered by Lyra drums (so midi), which means a 512 buffer, without problems. :)
    Admittedly I didn't have much else going (as I often start with the Drums when it get to record) except a basic sketch track.

iPad Pro, 9.2.

• edited January 2016

I'm following @hellquist's tip from elsewhere of removing and redownloading -> restoring purchases to see if it makes a difference as it did for him. I'll LYAK. :+1:

• edited January 2016

Nope. Didn't help. OK. Checklist: On a mini 2 on 9.1, removed Auria, redownloaded, restored purchases to go back to Auria Pro, rebooted iPad, recorded a simple audio track . Set buffer to 4096. Using only Saturn with Fudge Ripple as a single FX. Still maxing at 79% this time. Nothing else running. Just to check my sanity, again I checked a 7.1.2 mini 1 with the same setup with Auria 1. Still only 43% max there. Still confused. :anguished:

• @MusicInclusive said:
    I'm following @hellquist's tip from elsewhere of removing and redownloading -> restoring purchases to see if it makes a difference as it did for him. I'll LYAK. :+1:

Sorry, I thought you were comparing to Auria 1.x. It very well might be the CPU issues I've seen with 9.x. There's some odd CPU usage patterns I've noticed with iOS 9.x. Hopefully Apple will fix this in a future update.

Rim

• @hellquist said:

@WaveMachineLabs said:
    That's pretty typical when using one instance of Drumagog with such a low buffer size. I would only recommend 4096 when using Drumagog. In the original Auria version, there was no way to set buffer sizes (only during recording). In that version, the buffer was always 4096 when playing (unless a third party app set the buffer ahead of time).

Rim

Hehe, I've been running Drumagog on 8 channels simultaneously, triggered by Lyra drums (so midi), which means a 512 buffer, without problems. :)
    Admittedly I didn't have much else going (as I often start with the Drums when it get to record) except a basic sketch track.

iPad Pro, 9.2.

iPad Pro is in a whole different league with certain plugins for sure.

Rim

• edited January 2016

I'm updating an 8.4 iPad 3 to AP try it there - see if there's an obvious difference Rim @WaveMachineLabs. And, yes, I was comparing AP on a mini 2 iOS 9.1 with Auria 1 on both a mini 2 7.1.2 and a mini 1 7.1.2 to clarify.

• edited January 2016

OK. Some more results. iPad 3 running 8.4 with Auria Pro with the above setup (one audio track + Saturn + 4096) is a total washout. CPU max at 235% :open_mouth: :bawling:

Tried the exact same test with Auria 1 with my iPad 1 and it doesn't max beyond 60%

There is something amiss here methinks... :neutral:

• edited January 2016

So, to summarize. With one audio track + Saturn with Fudge Ripple + 4096 samples:

Auria Pro, iOS 9.1, iPad mini 2 - 84% max CPU - unhappy

Auria Pro, iOS 8.4, iPad 3 - 235% max CPU - unusable

Auria 1, iOS 7.1.2, iPad mini 2 - 43% max CPU - happy, usable
    Auria 1, iOS 7.1.2, iPad mini 1 - 43% max CPU - happy, usable

Odd that they're both the same ^^^^

THIS IS THE KICKER for a comparison: -> Auria 1, iOS 5.1.1, iPad 1 - 60% max CPU - reasonably happy, reasonably usable

• Saturn has been updated in Auria 2.x, so that could be it as well.

Another thing - when you go to the Auria settings page, it'll list the actual buffer size in parenthesis. Make sure this says 4096 as well. iOS only allows an app to request a buffer size, but there's no guarantee it'll get it, so that's why I added that text, so you can see what the iPad is actually using.

Rim

• Sorry - I hadn't meant in any way to hijack the tips thread here. I'd have started a whole new one on this if I thought it would have led to so many posts on it. Apologies. I simply thought there was some simple tip/trick I needed... :neutral:

• Yes - did check that Rim @WaveMachineLabs - each and every time :wink:

• ok, i added Saturn to a simple 3 track project and was playing only Rock Drum Machine. As soon as I added it, the CPU went out of wack!

So what I did, was close Auria, and anything in the background and ran my battery doctor:

Battery Doctor - Must-have Battery Management App by KS Mobile, Inc.
    https://appsto.re/us/gRZTK.i

Then, ran the memory booster option in it, after that, i ran the junk cache cleaner option. Both of those got me a lot of memory back, and about 200 megs or disk. Once I ran that, exited it and then I ran Auria Pro. Same exact project. Guess what: No CPU warning at all. Ran like a charm. I also even loaded micro warmer and Proq2 and still ran nice. So it may have to do with the ram being low on a project, so the pressure goes to the CPU. If you add more ram, the cpu works less i guess. Go figure. Technical stuff, but my test although not scientific, showed to me that I need to do this procedure everytime i plan to run Auria Pro to make sure it has all the available resources as much as possible.

• Appreciate the thought @Tones4Christ and that may well be the cause of some problems for some, but, I freshly rebooted the iPad before trying the test I did. I think Rim may be onto something with the potential of a different Saturn implementation included with AP. I'd be interested if you tried the above with Fudge Ripple and see what happens. I choose that for testing because it's heavy on CPU anyway compared to some of the other settings.

• edited January 2016

@MusicInclusive said: I choose that for testing because it's heavy on CPU anyway compared to some of the other settings.

That's exactly it, with a mini 2, mind i have a mini 1 too. i never expected to run saturn etc. and keep in mind there are enough cpulessheavy presets with this plugin, and @Rim even (besides noticeable improving cpu in Auria Pro) let go of the 100% lock, so with a too demanding preset there would normally be an audio artefact.

• edited January 2016

But, @crzycrs, as I demonstrated in the thread above, I do already run Saturn on a mini 1 acceptably, even with Fudge Ripple (and on an iPad 3 too - have been for a good while). The other day I was running my MS2000R through Saturn, Timeless and Volcano all at once real-time via Auria as an outboard FX chain connected to an iCM4+ (in Auria 1) on an iPad mini 1 with no issue. This is a new "problem" - for me - with Auria Pro just today (since today's the day I upgraded).