Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Put your generative music here

edited January 2016 in Creations

Not one bit of this was sequenced or "performed" live. It was done using Node Beat, Grain Synthesizer, Crystalline, Glitch1, and Cassini... oh hey and Rock Drum ( <-- buy all his apps if you are tired of sequencing even though there is a sequencer in there, jam intensity is pure GENIUS ). I encourage everyone and anyone to contribute here and give the details of their generation.

Comments

• Not entirely generative, but worked up a composition in Different Drummer then let the automation take over..

• edited December 2015

I like it. Do you have a way within Different Drummer to bring in and mute the voicing of each of the instruments? (sorry if it's readily obvious because it's been awhile since I've put my hands on DD)

I guess my other question is how often to try to put the instrument channels to synths or other with midi out? I like the DD sounds, but after a bit they start to sound canned.

• I use midi a lot with DD, although you can also bring in your own samples to mix it up.

In regards to bringing in the instruments, there are a number of ways to accomplish that, but the next ver. should make it much easier, since that will add the ability to change your mix at the progression panel.

• Here's another example of using it at a crazy bpm...

• @audiblevideo

You might like SeekBeats, it's my third favorite drum synth app on iOS (Elastic Drums and iElectribe taking the first two), it has a customizable randomize feature that can get some pretty appealing results.

• I've given SeekBeats (and the others you mentioned) a run too. I like it, but I'm a creature of habit. I probably ought to branch out more, and probably will once I'm exhausted on DD. I also like what can be done with Patterning for some interesting rhythmic variations.

• edited December 2015

@t0dk0n I have all three: Seakbeats is my #1 but Elastic Drums is oh so close. iElectribe, meh. I don't see any randomize pattern in either Seakbeats or Elastic Drums. Sounds yes, patterns no. I guess what I was trying to inspire or showcase were compositions that didn't rely on a grid sequencer (like DD) and that can evolve either through algorithm, probability, or some physical nudging of parameters (like Xynthesizer or NodeBeat or Mixtikl), and maybe garner tips into how to harness or enjoy them. I think part of me is still pining for RJDJ :(

• @audiblevideo said:
    @t0dk0n I have all three: Seakbeats is my #1 but Elastic Drums is oh so close. iElectribe, meh. I don't see any randomize pattern in either Seakbeats or Elastic Drums. Sounds yes, patterns no. I guess what I was trying to inspire or showcase were compositions that didn't rely on a grid sequencer (like DD) and that can evolve either through algorithm, probability, or some physical nudging of parameters (like Xynthesizer or NodeBeat or Mixtikl), and maybe garner tips into how to harness or enjoy them. I think part of me is still pining for RJDJ :(

Haha you could always randomly finger about steps in the pattern sequencer, but I understand you're looking for it to be totally generative on the software side. I'm talking about the iPhone version of iElectribe, never used the iPad one but I've heard there's a few more features in the iPhone one and I've gotten some amazing sounds out of it personally.

• edited December 2015

@funjunkie27 that last one! The first 15 seconds scared the crap out of me. Interesting sounds all over the place :) ... and from the looks of it I dont think you'll be exhausted with DD EVER... though you might wander a bit :wink:

• Lol @audiblevideo. I haven't tired of it after several years, so you're probably right. DD can do some wild tempos...well over 1000bpm. Add automation to that and you have an industrial nightmare.

• edited December 2015

A generative track created with BitWiz filtered through MIDI time synced apps BIAS FX and Kuvert. MIDI CC generated from Lemur and midiLFOs driven by MidiBus clock. No notes were sent via MIDI.

• edited December 2015

@Paul nice and beepy and bitty. I'm a bit confused as to the workflow you created. Was it something like this?

Lemur / midiLFOs (midi CC) --> BitWiz (sound) --> BiasFX/Kuvert --> Final Audio

Where and or how are you filtering Midi to get sound but not "notes"

-- Signed
    Cornfused ;)

• edited December 2015

@audiblevideo Than you. Yes with the addition of MIDI clock from MidiBus going to midiLFOs, BIAS FX, and Kuvert. I tried using CC to control some of the dials in BIAS FX but the app was very intermittent in responding to them. Midiflow was used to route the CC to BitWiz as it doesn't have a virtual in MIDI port and just listens.

• edited December 2015

@Paul so this?

MidiBus (clock) to Lemur / midiLFOs (midi CC) --> via MidiFlow to BitWiz (sound) --> MidiBus (clock) to BiasFX/Kuvert ==> Final Audio

• @audiblevideo

For MIDI:

MidiBus clock to midiLFOs, BIAS FX, and Kuvert
    No clock to BitWiz, Lemur, or Midiflow.
    midiLFOs and Lemur to Midiflow to BitWiz (1 CC per variable)

For Audio:

In Audiobus BitWiz to BIAS FX to Kuvert to AudioShare.

• Thanks thats much clearer - now I too can try such sonicness!

• edited December 2015

Very nice track, @Paul

• just watched an interesting video about guys trying to make money on generative music: http://techcrunch.com/video/jukedecks-ai-writes-music-for-your-video-startup-battlefield-finals/519313961/
    looks awesome methinks

• Track created with an Audulus 3 patch, Lemur, Fugue Machine, Emo Chorus, and AudioShare on an iPad Air 2.

• @Paul said:
    Track created with an Audulus 3 patch, Lemur, Fugue Machine, Emo Chorus, and AudioShare on an iPad Air 2.

This is utter madness. BUT I also can't help wondering if the year is 1888, 1890 maybe, and I am the man looking at a Van Gogh canvas for the first time and wondering what the hell the madman was doing with all that ridiculous color!

• @Paul Rhythmical bleepyness! what was Lemur doing in that mix?

• @audiblevideo There's a cool Lemur template for sending CC messages to create knobs that can record and play back your movements in a loop which I did to control the knobs in the Grit Synth patch.

• @JohnnyGoodyear the track probably has more in common with a Bach fugue than a Van Gogh as there is nothing random about the piece at all and it is full or variations on cyclical patterns as are fugues. The timbre and scales might not be harpsichord or the 12 tone scale completely but the structure is certainly fugue like. I can assure you there weren't even any random humanization attempts thrown into the track like say drummers or drum apps do. It was largely the result of figuring out how to figure out how to get a program that I'd created inside a visual music programming app to work. After that it was just hitting the play button. So despite what you may have seen with Hal in 2001 a Space Odessey, computers don't lie and don't do crazy. They might be able to emulate crazy with a sufficiently skilled programmer who was sufficiently mad, but I'm not a good programmer.

So whatever madness you're perceiving in the track must be a product of what you're used to versus how the track sounds rather than genuine madness, kind of like what many of the parents must have thought of the Rock and Roll their kids were listening to. In fact, seen from a distance, the wave form of the track looks like a very ordinary sin wave and the same can't be said of either a Bach Fugue or a Van Gogh.

• NodeBeat, Mitosynth, Stereo Designer, ToneStack (Overpass, Ringo, BassOct, EchoRex)

• edited December 2015

@Paul said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear
    ....whatever madness you're perceiving in the track must be a product of what you're used to versus how the track sounds rather than genuine madness, kind of like what many of the parents must have thought of the Rock and Roll their kids were listening to.

I agree. This was my point precisely. I was interested (amazed) at how much I didn't like this and then have been wandering around for the past day or so wondering about what is 'good' 'pretty' and 'nice'. Toast.

Probably one of the most valuable posts I have listened to here.

• @JohnnyGoodyear whenever you have a strong response to something either positive or negative it's an opportunity to identify why you respond to the track the way you do. It may be what's in the track or perhaps what's missing from the track. Glad you were able to get something out of it. I primarily create music for an audience of one and at times they're not too sure what I was thinking when I created it.

• Glad you were able to get something out of it. I primarily create music for an audience of one and at times they're not too sure what I was thinking when I created it.

AHAHAHA This, all the time :)

• I did this to see if I could switch fast enough for live jamming between Xynthesizer, DotMelody, and MicroAddictive...
    The result not really. It really lags on my poor iPhone 4s, but there's some interesting spots.