Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hardware for Mobile Musicians

Got questions/suggestions about gear for mobile musicians? This is the place to talk about it.

Comments

• Does anyone have a soulution to get around the IOS/Lightning charge or use conundrum, i.e. beeing able to use outboard gear like keyboards AND sound interfaces while keeping the iDevice charged ?

And does anyone have any ideas as tho why this has to be such a big issue ?

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    Does anyone have a soulution to get around the IOS/Lightning charge or use conundrum, i.e. beeing able to use outboard gear like keyboards AND sound interfaces while keeping the iDevice charged ?

The iConnectAudio4+ can simultaneously charge an iPad while running without using a ton of crazy adapters (however, it does require a proprietary cable to run from the iPad to the interface, but the cable's not awkward).

I've heard that iConnectivity has some kind of patent which may be preventing competitors from coming out with their own hardware which can do the same.

• @CalCutta said:

@DeVlaeminck said:
    Does anyone have a soulution to get around the IOS/Lightning charge or use conundrum, i.e. beeing able to use outboard gear like keyboards AND sound interfaces while keeping the iDevice charged ?

The iConnectAudio4+ can simultaneously charge an iPad while running without using a ton of crazy adapters (however, it does require a proprietary cable to run from the iPad to the interface, but the cable's not awkward).

I've heard that iConnectivity has some kind of patent which may be preventing competitors from coming out with their own hardware which can do the same.

I'm aware of this one, but it's a tad pricey, and not very mobile...
    As for the patent, I simply don't belive to be true. But that's just me.

• To charge the device the interface needs to be MFi, and use a lightning connector.

• Definitely the KMI Qunexus, buss powered goodness.

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    I'm aware of this one, but it's a tad pricey, and not very mobile...
    As for the patent, I simply don't belive to be true. But that's just me.

Pretty sure some competition would have been out by now if it were not true.

• edited December 2015

This list on the WaveMachineLabs website shows a few interfaces that can charge the iPad while connected - it's not comprehensive but you can see that if an interface is MFi (Made for iOS) then it will have that capability:

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

Interfaces that connect via USB into a lightning adapter can't charge the device.

• Good to know, thanks!

• @richardyot said:

Interfaces that connect via USB into a lightning adapter can't charge the device.

Thats exactly the problem:

The CCK leaves the iDevice in the dark powerwise.

The IOS / Lightning charge or use counundrum.

I'm well aware of the few solutions in the AP document, but I want a generec solution so I can use whichever class compliant MIDI keyboard AND sound interface I want.

• Well it can't be done, generic USB class compliant will not charge the device.

• edited December 2015

The StudioConnect from Griffin powers and charges the iPad; and also provides quality stereo audio IN/OUT; and MIDI IN/OUT. Pretty compact to be mobile, but requires AC.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/studioconnect-audio-interface-lightning

FEATURES

MIDI in and out for your iPad; 5-pin DIN
    Audio in and out for your iPad
    3.5 mm stereo headphone jack with volume control
    Lets you use your iPad and its apps as a MIDI controller
    10 watt charging dock for iPad

TECH SPECS

Audio in:
    1/4" mono
    3.5 mm stereo
    Gain control

Audio out:
    Line-level stereo R and L RCA
    Front-panel 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack with volume control

• @DeVlaeminck said:

I might be misunderstanding your statement here, but with a MFi interface there is no conundrum, you can charge and use at the same time.

• @richardyot said:

@DeVlaeminck said:

I might be misunderstanding your statement here, but with a MFi interface there is no conundrum, you can charge and use at the same time.

OK charge or use or pay premium for trivial connectivity then.
    Sry guys, I'm simply finding it hard to understand and accept.

Leaving thread for other good stuff ...

• I'm not sure I'm alone in saying this, but I'd love to see a credible audio brand get on board with some ultra-portable monitors. They're not going to be ideal for mixing for obvious reasons, but it'd be nice to have an alternative to good headphones.

There's lots of portable speakers out there - literally thousands - but I'd like to see some of the bigger audio brands develop something that is more geared towards mobile music creation.

Obviously, there's the IK Multimedia iLoud, but this just isn't portable enough in my opinion. It's also relatively expensive for what it is and I'd much prefer to have separate L/R speakers.

Something like the long discontinued Edirol MA-1EX would be very appealing...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/edirol-ma-1ex-usb-powered-stereo-speakers

• @DeVlaeminck said:

That's Apple.... they always do stuff like this, I don't like it either, but I doubt they are ever going to change their ways.

• edited December 2015

@DeVlaeminck said:
    OK charge or use or pay premium for trivial connectivity then.

If you have a laptop, you can use it as a hub with something like Studiomux routing audio and midi. That will at least give you the use of any keyboard/ interface combo you want, keep everything charged and do it for the price of the app. Not an ideal solution, but it works.

• I'm actually considering the MS Surface 3 (not Pro) to help out with the connectivity issues. Could do a lot in a mobile setup ...

• I use Akai EIE IO 4 in 4 out and midi. Probably not the best for recording (16bit) but for live work it is absolutely super flexible. The main out goes to the soundman, 3 with the click track to the drummer and headphone out to my monitor. It's quite bulky and heavy but it is a workhorse. Highly recommended.

As for controllers:

Boss FC 50 as foot controller (previously tried blueboard and Yamaha MFC 06) best switches for stage use IMO.

Akai Mpk mini mk1. Mini keys a bit spongy but other than that super dependable. I also use Akai lpd8 which is pretty much the same minus the keys (previously used arturia mini, m-audio axiom mini and Mpk mini mk2)

Arturia beatstep. Lots of pads and knobs. I use it as a controller rather than sequencer. Not a big fan of the continuous knobs (they jump to 12 o'clock on first use) but other than that spot on. The great thing is that samplr responds to stop command so it can be stopped independently when slaved to loopy, then restarted via loopy start.

My 5p.

• Agreed with @supadom on the Akai. It is a beast, but quite reliable and flexible.

• @supadom said:
    I use Akai EIE IO 4 in 4 out and midi. Probably not the best for recording (16bit) but for live work it is absolutely super flexible. The main out goes to the soundman, 3 with the click track to the drummer and headphone out to my monitor. It's quite bulky and heavy but it is a workhorse. Highly recommended.

As for controllers:

Boss FC 50 as foot controller (previously tried blueboard and Yamaha MFC 06) best switches for stage use IMO.

Akai Mpk mini mk1. Mini keys a bit spongy but other than that super dependable. I also use Akai lpd8 which is pretty much the same minus the keys (previously used arturia mini, m-audio axiom mini and Mpk mini mk2)

Arturia beatstep. Lots of pads and knobs. I use it as a controller rather than sequencer. Not a big fan of the continuous knobs (they jump to 12 o'clock on first use) but other than that spot on. The great thing is that samplr responds to stop command so it can be stopped independently when slaved to loopy, then restarted via loopy start.

My 5p.

@supadom why do you kick the blueboard?

• With regard to charging while using USB devices, I actually like the fact that it will not charge, it forces me to take a break !

• @obiwahnkentobi said:

Because I found it was hard to tell whether I've pressed the switch or not due to lack of physical feedback. Could be just due to personal preference I suppose.

• @supadom said:

@obiwahnkentobi said:

Because I found it was hard to tell whether I've pressed the switch or not due to lack of physical feedback. Could be just due to personal preference I suppose.

I'm still using the blueboard and have to agree the lack of feedback couldbe a big issue in a live situation.
    There is no physical 'click' and the light is under your foot ! If you are switching ahead of playing it is not so bad but if switching while playing it can be a problem. If your app has visual feedback, and is on screen at the time, then not so bad either.
    I'm only using it for recording so I can redo if needed.

• I have to pimp the focusrite itrack dock. I just got one today at GC to see if it was compatible with my Carbon 49 and it worked perfectly. It wasn't on the list of compatible MIDI keyboards, but no problem. The mic and guitar inputs are super quiet clear and smooth. My headphones and monitors are happy too.

• I'm happy with the Presonus itwo. It has two mic/line inputs, midi in/out, and connects with the Lightning sync cable. They say it "trickle charges" the iPad, so while not actually charging the battery, it doesn't drain more than a couple percent. Was $89 used.

I was looking for a midi keyboard with a built in audio interface, but manufacturers seem to have given up on the concept, since the mid 2000's. Akai, novation, etc had stuff like that.

• @DeVlaeminck said:

@richardyot said:

Thats exactly the problem:

The CCK leaves the iDevice in the dark powerwise.

I'm well aware of the few solutions in the AP document, but I want a generec solution so I can use whichever class compliant MIDI keyboard AND sound interface I want.

If you want to connect a MIDI controller as well, you're gonna need something with a USB host port. iConnectAudio4+ is one option, which is what I went with. iTrack Dock is another option but that one seems to have issues with its USB host port and doesn't seem compatible with every class compliant MIDI controller, and I also didn't like that I would have to take my iPad out of its case everytime I wanted to use it.

• @Processaurus said:
    I'm happy with the Presonus itwo. It has two mic/line inputs, midi in/out, and connects with the Lightning sync cable. They say it "trickle charges" the iPad, so while not actually charging the battery, it doesn't drain more than a couple percent. Was $89 used.

i actually send my itwo back because i found out that it drains exactly like an ipad which is connected to another interface (alesis io2).