Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

Comments

• @WaveMachineLabs said:
    The Auria store already shows this - instead of the price, it will say "Installed" if you've already purchased that particular IAP.

Rim

No, it doesn't

• @TedBPhx said:

@WaveMachineLabs said:
    The Auria store already shows this - instead of the price, it will say "Installed" if you've already purchased that particular IAP.

Rim

No, it doesn't

Yes it does.

• Appears to be a bit erratic

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    ^ Matt, remind me, are you on an Air2?

Oh yes. Air2 128GB baby!

• edited December 2015

@WaveMachineLabs - Rim - if you want to feel what a really, really slick and responsive touch based piano roll feels like, have a play with Auxy for iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1034348186?uo=4&at=10l4Ky&ct=forum

They are working with pretty small screen res but it's amazing. As soon as I touch the end of that midi note I know I'm going to be able to pull it to extend the note, rather than mistakenly scrolling the roll or moving the note. The way it works with touch is amazingly lovely and it makes things 10 times more pleasant and fast.

• Doesn't freezing the midi track take twin2 offline freeing CPU? When I tried that it looked to be so. Freeze would be a temporary bounce to audio and bounce in place is permanent, or am I missing something?

Matt's question was about cpu related to active twin instances, with latency understood to be another limiting factorv do the only live effects at the 512 stage are the instances of twin. Again, unless I misunderstood. I haven't had much time to play with the midi (or do much with auria) due to work commitments over the past few weeks, looking forward to my week off after Christmas to have some more time to work on it.

• @mrufino1 freezing tracks does work, and frees up CPU and turns MIDI into audio, however I personally do my utmost to never freeze tracks in Auria, mainly because once you do you can't mess with the arrangement of your track any more.

I guess like many people who compose in the box I'm forever chopping and changing bits of my tunes around, moving parts 4 bars to the left or whatever, and you can't do that with frozen tracks. So bouncing to audio is much flexible for this kind of workflow.

If you're recording a live band playing fixed arrangements it's different, but I think the kids these days are all about doing it in the box. Moving loops around, chopping this, trimming that, cut, copy, paste, delete.

• Freezing MIDI tracks is a great way to do this. Once you freeze a MIDI track, it turns into an audio track (internally). So it no longer counts as a MIDI track to the system and you can now set your buffer size to 4096.

Frozen tracks don't take any CPU or memory, so you can do this to free up those resources. Once you're ready to use it again, you unfreeze it and that track is back to the way it was before it was frozen.

Rim

• @richardyot said:
    @mrufino1 freezing tracks does work, and frees up CPU and turns MIDI into audio, however I personally do my utmost to never freeze tracks in Auria, mainly because once you do you can't mess with the arrangement of your track any more.

I guess like many people who compose in the box I'm forever chopping and changing bits of my tunes around, moving parts 4 bars to the left or whatever, and you can't do that with frozen tracks. So bouncing to audio is much flexible for this kind of workflow.

If you're recording a live band playing fixed arrangements it's different, but I think the kids these days are all about doing it in the box. Moving loops around, chopping this, trimming that, cut, copy, paste, delete.

I agree, I don't freeze too often anymore (but I got very good with it on IPad 2!), But I do very little midi. Maybe that will change a little now, I don't know.

• Thanks guys. Actually id forgotten about freezing tracks. That's the solution, for me, for what I was asking above. If I wanted to tejig that track I'd enviably go back to the midi anyway, just I'd just need to unfreeze.

So I presume that freezing captures all the insert effects too?

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Thanks guys. Actually id forgotten about freezing tracks. That's the solution, for me, for what I was asking above. If I wanted to tejig that track I'd enviably go back to the midi anyway, just I'd just need to unfreeze.

It does, the only thing I have noticed with doing this is that with IAA inserts, they malfunction and it says that there was trouble loading it.

• Rim, any word from Lynda tutorials on doing a Auria Pro version?

• They've been working on it since beta. Not sure on when it'll be released though, but as soon as I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Rim

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@WaveMachineLabs said:
    There's currently no way to move a project from one folder to another, without using a computer and iFunBox. Something for a future update...

Thanks for your response. Dull stuff, I know, administration, but as your users increase their use (as they surely will :)) helping them help themselves will always be appreciated...

Just following up on this, it seems that you CAN move stuff from folder to folder. Which is lovely. When within one folder just touch and hold the file/project you want to move and drag it to the 'back' arrow at the top left (see pic) and then drop it. File will then be moved to the previous/higher directory and can thus be moved from there. This is a small thing, but makes me very happy.

• edited December 2015

@High5denied said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Thanks guys. Actually id forgotten about freezing tracks. That's the solution, for me, for what I was asking above. If I wanted to tejig that track I'd enviably go back to the midi anyway, just I'd just need to unfreeze.

It does, the only thing I have noticed with doing this is that with IAA inserts, they malfunction and it says that there was trouble loading it.

It seemed like I mostly got white noise when trying to freeze tracks so I pretty much gave up on it. i should give it another go and see if it is specific iaa apps i am trying.

• @WaveMachineLabs said:
    They've been working on it since beta. Not sure on when it'll be released though, but as soon as I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Rim

Many Thanks.

• edited December 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@WaveMachineLabs said:
    There's currently no way to move a project from one folder to another, without using a computer and iFunBox. Something for a future update...

Thanks for your response. Dull stuff, I know, administration, but as your users increase their use (as they surely will :)) helping them help themselves will always be appreciated...

Just following up on this, it seems that you CAN move stuff from folder to folder. Which is lovely. When within one folder just touch and hold the file/project you want to move and drag it to the 'back' arrow at the top left (see pic) and then drop it. File will then be moved to the previous/higher directory and can thus be moved from there. This is a small thing, but makes me very happy.

Hehe, was just about to reveal that tip myself. :+1:

Added: Only thing is no auto-scroll, so if the project your grabbing is way down, the arrow at the top will be out of view.
    But once you get used to it, it can help to organise your files quite well-ish..

More added: a workaround would be to temporarily rename your project so it moves up in the list (just put an "A" or "1" at the beginning).

Auria Pro!

:sunglasses:

• edited December 2015

@KING777 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@WaveMachineLabs said:

Added: Only thing is no auto-scroll, so if the project your grabbing is way down, the arrow at the top will be out of view.
    But once you get used to it, it can help to organise your files quite well-ish..

More added: a workaround would be to temporarily rename your project so it moves up in the list (just put an "A" or "1" at the beginning).

Auria Pro!

It was because of this problem that I decided, recently 'starting again', to have a few folders named #1 #2 #3 etc. for 'Almost done' 'Might be good' 'Raw stuff' 'Rubbish' etc etc., keeps things a little easier to manage, but needed to get stuff out from one and into another, which thankfully can now be done...

• edited December 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@KING777 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@WaveMachineLabs said:

Auria Pro!

It was because of this problem that I decided, recently 'starting again', to have a few folders named #1 #2 #3 etc. for 'Almost done' 'Might be good' 'Raw stuff' 'Rubbish' etc etc., keeps things a little easier to manage, but needed to get stuff out from one and into another, which thankfully can now be done...

Yep! But did you know (for as long as I've been using Auria, 2 years) this has always been possible.

The filing system is more or less the same as it was. It is on the wish list to be improved properly (renaming folder/Wav files etc..).

• @KING777 said:
    Yep! But did you know (for as long as I've been using Auria, 2 years) this has always been possible.

The filing system is more or less the same as it was. It is on the wish list to be improved properly (renaming folder/Wav files etc..).

Obviously not or I wouldn't be as simply happy as I am now, but then simple things have always made me happy. Just think, I could have been this happy two or three years ago....ah well.... :)

• Wow, I forgot I added that feature ;) It's been years...

Rim

• This might be an obvious one, but it's easily overlooked.

If you need to duplicate a loop along the timeline, rather than using copy and paste, it's much quicker to use the Duplicate button.

Here's a walk through - this drum loop needs to extend over the time line:

Select the audio region and tap the Duplicate button, you can tap it as many times as necessary and it will create a new duplicate at the end of the section each time:

You can quickly fill the entire time line like this:

You can also duplicate a region with the handles if you are zoomed in. Zoom in so that the middle handle appears on the audio or MIDI region:

Then drag right on that handle until the grey arrow appears, once you release the region will be duplicated:

• Marquee selection tips:

If you need to delete a whole bunch of regions:

Double tap and draw out a marquee in the time line. Then once the marquee is drawn around the regions you want to select, tap the Select HL button in the toolbar:

The regions are now selected:

At this point you can delete them, move them or whatever.

You can also use the marquee to select just parts of an audio region. For example to trim part of a region you can double-tap in the time line to draw a marquee around a part you want to remove, then tap the Separate button in the toolbar to split the region out:

Once the region is split you can delete the part you want to trim:

Or alternatively, rather than trimming the audio, draw the marquee around the region you want to affect and use the Process menu to silence just that part of the audio region:

If you want part of the audio to be louder or quieter, rather than automating the fader volume, draw a region around that part of the audio:

And use the Process menu to add gain to just that part of the region:

Finally bear in mind that you can adjust the length of a marquee quite accurately even after it's been drawn, just drag the sides, note that the region will snap according to your snap settings (handy if you want to be precise):

And you can fit the marquee precisely before performing any edits:

• Holy crap, that is some good stuff. Especially the Marquee tips. Wish I would'a known about them sooner.

• @richardyot

Marquee selection tips:.....

Knew some of this, but not all of it and the all of it will really help and make a difference.

Thanks so much.

• Awesome! I want to hear anyone give some comment on PSP Microwarmer?

How that product different from Saturn on saturation. How great it is? My hand itching and want to buy and play that plug-in.

• edited December 2015

@Kaikoo said:
    Awesome! I want to hear anyone give some comment on PSP Microwarmer?

How that product different from Saturn on saturation. How great it is? My hand itching and want to buy and play that plug-in.

Microwarmer is pretty different to Saturn. Microwarmer is essentially a limiter, that adds tape saturation effects to any audio that goes over the limiting threshold - the idea being to simulate something that was recorded onto tape (to get that tape-saturated Rolling Stones sound, also blur some of the instruments separation and clarity and "glue" the mix). You add it to the Master Bus or to a Subgroup, and use it to both limit the output and add saturation. It's best used in small doses IMO, as it has a pretty noticeable sound.

Saturn is more versatile in that it does many different types of distortion: from tube, to tape, to guitar amps. But in order to get the kind of functionality that you get with Microwarmer you would need to combine Saturn with Pro L or with one of Auria's built-in limiters.

• Thank you, Richard! Well explaining!

• @Kaikoo said:
    Thank you, Richard! Well explaining!

I have no idea what I'm doing (generally) but Microwarmer seems to get onto most tracks in Auria and (to these ears) they are all the better for it...