Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using MiMix 2.1 with Aux outputs to Reverb and return to the Main Mix

edited December 2015 in App Tips and Tricks

MiMix 2.1 is waiting for Apple, should be out soon. The dev has given me permission to share these screen shots.

I set up a scene with MiMix Port 1 as the return channel, and up to seven ports 2 - 8 for Main sources each with its own Aux send to the reverb. I use Audiobus to perform the unity gain mix of all the Aux Sends into the filter slot input. Aux Send 1 is not used.

Comments

• edited December 2015

If you have 4 Port Audio interface, you could use a lighter bypassed (or not) effect fo the 7 -> 1 mix and send Port 1 to output chnnels 3+4. A little awkward in that the aux send has to be manipulated to select what port is being noodled, and Aux Pre must be used so you can mute the house send of that (those) Port(s). My next post shows a cleaner 4 synth dual mix for personal mixes.

• In case you were wondering, MiMix now has that blue circled icon to select specific outputs. This means that another thread (possibly on FB, cannot find it now) who wanted to be able to run his 8 channels through MiMix into Auria will be trivially possible with MiMix 2.1.

• edited December 2015

@dwarman said:
    In case you were wondering, MiMix now has that blue circled icon to select specific outputs. This means that another thread (possibly on FB, cannot find it now) who wanted to be able to run his 8 channels through MiMix into Auria will be trivially possible with MiMix 2.1.

Mention of triviality begs a simple question which is is there a value in using MiMix into Auria as opposed to the original 'desk' for those of us who don't (as yet) play live?

• The person who wanted to do this claimed that coding differences made for a different sound, which he wanted. Now can do it.

• edited December 2015

Awesome news, this is a major update! I was hoping for an aux send in MiMix when I bought it months ago. I'll use it a bunch now, to do a reverb/delay send from the different tracks.

That's something that hasn't been possible in audiobus, (using different amounts of one reverb, on different tracks) as far as I know, up til this point. It's a feature most people that have gotten into mixing, or live sound, will appreciate having on iOS.

• @dwarman said:
    In case you were wondering, MiMix now has that blue circled icon to select specific outputs.

Excellent, another big feature. Now you can do subgroups, with insert effects and volume knobs for on individual tracks, and the group. Seems esoteric, but would be handy to anyone interested in layering sounds, like a couple drum machines playing together, or a couple synths, and being able to effect them differently, and mix and pan them separately, but then have a master volume, and effects on the layered group (Like a compressor on a drum machine group).

Or route some channels to several different hardware outputs at once.

Ha ha, someone with nerves of steel could use this and an 8 input audio interface as a little digital mixing board for small shows.

• @Processaurus: MiMix can already route channels to multiple outputs, albeit at the same level.

Not sure I have "nerves of steel", but this update is going to feature in my main studio, where I do indeed run hardware synths into an 8 channel interface. Now, of course (being me). I want more. Multiple istances of MiMix would be nice.