Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

Comments

• Any screen grabs of the drumagog interface in Auria would lovely to see actually.

• Jeez... I just saw this in the description of the PC version:
    _
    Drum-optimized Synthesizer

Synthesizers have long been used by top engineers to add sizzle, depth and power to recorded drums, and Drumagog 5 includes a synth specifically designed for the purpose. As with any quality synth, the oscillator can generate sine, square or saw-tooth waves in a given frequency which can then be modified by attack and decay controls, a low-pass filter, and a true resonance filter.

What makes the Drumagog 5 synth unique is its noise generator. Because noise is particularly useful in drum processing, Drumagog 5’s synthesizer offers control of both the amount of noise added to the signal and its fundamental frequency, which can be set to complement or contrast with the fundamental frequency of the oscillator’s wave. This allows you to dial in everything from simple harmonic overtones to a highly complex sound perfect for augmenting the subtle to extreme combination of frequencies typical of acoustic drums._

You're not telling me that Auria's Drumagog includes a drum synth inside are you? That would be amazing.

• edited December 2015

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 sadly I think the "synth" features are only in the desktop version. The iPad version is still just a straight sample-replacement plugin - it does work very well though and does come with some electronic type sounds.

IMO the main strength it has is that it can take fairly crappy drum sounds and replace them with good ones while still preserving the dynamics of the original. It also allows you to find just the right kick or snare for your particular mix, since you can audition them in situ and change them any time.

One workflow which worked well for me in the past was to create some "manual" beats in Impaktor and then replace the sounds with Drumagog. Potentially you could also record some beats using the built-in mic straight into Auria and then replace the sounds with Drumagog, which could allow for some pretty interesting results - tapping on the table to create your hi-hats etc... Latency might be an issue though, even at 128.

However in your shoes you might be best off just exploring what's in Lyra for now. Drumagog does have some electronic/weird libraries that you can buy on the desktop store (and import into the iPad version), but that gets expensive. FWIW I bought the desktop version of Drumagog 5 when it was on sale and imported the whole library into the iPad (it's much more extensive than the iOS version) and I also bought the Percussion Xtra pack for desktop and imported that into the iPad.

Here's a screengrab of the iPad version.

• Yes, when triggered via MIDI, all the usual velocity features apply in Drumagog.

Drumagog is a very evolved product and has been around for over 15 years, so there's a ton of third party drum material available in all kinds of genres. It's typically richly multisampled with both velocity and random layers.

• New in 2.01 is a "Clean Up Project" button in the main Settings page. This will delete any unused files cluttering up your project - useful if you've done several takes to get a part right etc.... Just be aware that after pressing this older snapshots will be affected if they are using any of the audio that gets removed.

• @richardyot said:
    New in 2.01 is a "Clean Up Project" button in the main Settings page. This will delete any unused files cluttering up your project - useful if you've done several takes to get a part right etc.... Just be aware that after pressing this older snapshots will be affected if they are using any of the audio that gets removed.

This is really good! It took me several takes last night on a song I'm working on, and I thought, boy how my GB's are being whittled away...........

• Adding your own sampler instruments to Lyra. @Matt_Fletcher_2000 already has a very good thread about this, but this is a good place for the Dummies Guide version.

Method 1: Connect your iPad to a computer using iFunBox and locate the folder called "Sampler Instruments". Add your SFZ or SF2 instrument samples inside this folder. Each instrument should have its own subfolder within the "Sampler Instruments" folder, and the SFZ files should be in that first subfolder you add. Samples can be nested further down.

Method 2: If you would rather not use a computer to add the sampled instruments you can use zip files from the iPad. To do this you will need to create the correct folder structure ahead of time, so that Auria can unpack your zips correctly. Like this:

Sampler Instruments
    -- Instrument Name
    --- Your sfz.sfz
    ------Your Sfz Folder

Then upload your zip file to the iPad using Dropbox or Audioshare, and then use "Open In" to send the zip file to Auria Pro - it should automatically get unpacked in the right place.

Note: you can also use the zip method to add IR or Gog files, as long as you use the correct folder structure in your zip file.

For IRs it should be:

IR Files
    -- Sub Folder Name (example: guitar cabs)
    ---- My IR.irf

For Gog files it should be:

Gog Files
    -- Sub Folder Name (example: cymbals)
    ----- my gog file.gog

• Thanks guys, re drumagog. It's tempting (for the multi samples and random) but right now I think I need to 'hold' on all the drum apps I have. Patterning, iElectribe, Elastic Drums, DrumJam and the sound packs I've put into Auria should give me enough to work with for now. They can all produce some pretty rich drums and getting this stuff into AP is now nice and easy.

• edited December 2015

So here is a potentially interesting workflow I have experimented with - converting crude recorded beats into drums with Drumagog. In this case I just used my hands to tap out beats on a table - but with varying volume levels as played by a human. You could do this with sticks if you have some, or even beatbox.

One big caveat which I just learned from Rim is that on the iPad Air 2 the internal mic has built-in latency that can't be bypassed (which is why the VelAucity feature on the Lyra pads is not available on the Air 2). So to get this to work I had to use a Zoom IQ5 plugged into the lightning port so that the latency was workable. Other iPad models should be able to use the internal mic.

So on a blank audio track I recorded myself table drumming a simple eighth-note beat. The timing was a little off in parts:

Then to fix the timing errors I enabled warp on the track, the transients were detected automatically when I recorded the audio:

Edit --> Transients --> Audio Quantize:

This fixes my timing. Next I bounce the track in place:

Finally I add Drumagog as an Insert Effect and bring the Sensitivity slider down to catch all the beats:

So I now have a hi-hat sound that is in time but still has some human variation in the articulations. At this point if the Gog sample has several different articulations I can even automate them so that my hi-hat starts off closed and then opens up for added emphasis during a chorus. This Gog sample has 3 different sounds that can be automated, as well as the regular articulations in volume that come with the performance:

• edited December 2015

@richardyot has achieved WIZARD status ^

From table taps to drumagog. This is epic

• Great tips guys this is so cool!

• I was wondering about this very thing yesterday @richardyot! Thanks for the great tip....can't wait to give it a try!

• Yeah one of the benefits of beta testing AP was trying out all the plugins. And this now leads to one of the downsides.....Now I want to buy them all. Drumagog is really useful. I think the interface could do with an update though as the control panel at the bottom should be much bigger.

• @WaveMachineLabs said:
    Very few apps generate MIDI.  Only ThumbJam and a few isolated other apps.  They were never made to generate MIDI.

Rim

There's lots of apps that generate midi.

Umpteen sequencers
    Theysy B step pro Phaedra Kushion etc
    Many arpegiators
    Arpist Changeling Arpeggionome. Etc
    Loads of keyboard alternates
    Sound prism pro. Seline. ChordPolyPad etc

• I corrected myself later in the thread. Looks like after I tested this with Auria Pro back in 2014, a lot more support MIDI out now.

Rim

• @richardyot said:
    New in 2.01 is a "Clean Up Project" button in the main Settings page. This will delete any unused files cluttering up your project - useful if you've done several takes to get a part right etc.... Just be aware that after pressing this older snapshots will be affected if they are using any of the audio that gets removed.

Sorry for the redundancy (or density on my part maybe): While this is in the settings area, this project clean-up only applies to the project currently being worked on, right? I'm 99.8% certain to the point of feeling a fool for asking, but still.... :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Sorry for the redundancy (or density on my part maybe): While this is in the settings area, this project clean-up only applies to the project currently being worked on, right? I'm 99.8% certain to the point of feeling a fool for asking, but still.... :)

Yes, only for the currently loaded project.

• This is from Tom Traxx: midi stuff. Prob. a no brain'er for most of ya, but I learned some stuff... for sure.....

• Nothing not covered by Mister Yot I think, but always good to see the thing in action AND I was beguiled by his incredibly diffident "....bye...." at the end :)

• Simple question: If you have a project saved in a created folder and wish to move it to another folder (say promoting it from 'Mostly Crap' to 'Somewhat Crap') is there a way to do this? Or does one have to save the existing project while open as a back-up project with another name and choose the preferred folder from there (and then go back to the original folder and delete the original file)?

• There's currently no way to move a project from one folder to another, without using a computer and iFunBox. Something for a future update...

• @WaveMachineLabs said:
    There's currently no way to move a project from one folder to another, without using a computer and iFunBox. Something for a future update...

Thanks for your response. Dull stuff, I know, administration, but as your users increase their use (as they surely will :)) helping them help themselves will always be appreciated...

• At some future point, it would be great to have the Auria Store screens show "Mine" (or some such) beside IAPs that you have already purchased & DL'd. There are getting to be so many great additions, it can be easy (speaking as an older user) to remember exactly what I've purchased. :wink:

• The Auria store already shows this - instead of the price, it will say "Installed" if you've already purchased that particular IAP.

Rim

• Can I ask a question of this thread?

If I want to "park" a heavy twin2 midi track so it's not using up CPU but I want to be able to go back and edit it, what's the best way. Can I bounce to a new audio track, simply save the exact state of the patch and then set the instrument to 'none'.

Or even, can I move the midi clip up the timeline so that it never plays and keep Twin2 in place as the instrument. Or does that still use memory? I might need to have a fair few tracks doing this so I need to be sure I'm taking the track out of the CPU equation.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 the problem is latency - if you have any MIDI tracks in your project then the maximum latency you can use is going to be 512. This is why in the very first post in this thread I recommended separating the recording and mixing stages in your projects.

Keep one version of the file in a "recording" state, with all MIDI tracks etc, then at mix time convert everything to audio in a new file and increase the latency to 4092, then you can really pile on the effects. If you need to revisit the MIDI go back to the "recording" file and export the audio.

• @richardyot said:
    @Matt_Fletcher_2000 the problem is latency - if you have any MIDI tracks in your project then the maximum latency you can use is going to be 512. This is why in the very first post in this thread I recommended separating the recording and mixing stages in your projects.

Keep one version of the file in a "recording" state, with all MIDI tracks etc, then at mix time convert everything to audio in a new file and increase the latency to 4092, then you can really pile on the effects. If you need to revisit the MIDI go back to the "recording" file and export the audio.

Thanks Richard. I do understand that. But simply in the recording stage I'm finding that more than a couple of twin2 tracks is killing the CPU. When you start adding in 3rd party synths and stuff it starts crashing due to memory issues.

So even in the 'recording stage' I want to bring down the burden of those twin midi tracks by bouncing - but I want to be able to quickly get them back. I'd have thought my method above would work.

• Twin 2 is very CPU intensive, so the strategy of bouncing it down, saving the patch and setting MIDI instrument to none would definitely help there.

• ^ Matt, remind me, are you on an Air2?