Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

Comments

• To be honest I don't mind - I'm happy to support Fabfilter!

• About the Turnado-setting "turn knobs to zero at host stop": I think this does make a lot of sense. Quite some people were wondering why there is no sound, when playing with Turnado, and often this is the case because of still opened knobs (like a looper, for example) from a previous session... . The settings helps prevent this kind of misunderstanding, IMHO...

• @richardyot You're going to need to get your own Patreon page if you keep this up. Terrific input/instruction. Maybe you should think about working in this line? Seriously though, a major help with the piano roll. As mentioned elsewhere, I am coming to the conclusion that I should be doing less in lots of other side apps and doing more directly within AP, but this is the missing facility etc. Thanks so much.

• edited December 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear said: Maybe you should think about working in this line?

Well, as it happens I make roughly half my income creating and selling/marketing video tutorials for 3D graphics. Not music related though. I've always liked doing these kind of tutorials, I've done them for at least 15 years for various things: it used to be Photoshop and digital painting, then 3d, and I've also written a book on lighting and countless how-to magazine articles for illustrators.

But I know a lot more about those subjects than I do about musical things. In this forum I am still just a keen amateur.

• Great stuff though Richard. Really helpful and generous of you.

• Thanks @richardyot , lots of tips and stuff to take note of.

• Here's a tip on using Drumagog with MIDI:

Drumagog now has a MIDI input! So you can trigger Drumagog directly from your MIDI tracks.

1. Insert Drumagog as an insert on your MIDI track
    2. In the MIDI Input Port section of the channelstrip, set the port to Drumagog

It's that simple. Drumagog now triggers on every note.

Rim

• Watch out for @AIRstudio 's videos to come.

• @richardyot said:
    ...about musical things. In this forum I am still just a keen amateur.

puts you in just the right place to know how to make a tutorial for keen amateurs like the rest of us! I think you would get a solid following.

• edited December 2015

@WaveMachineLabs said:
    Here's a tip on using Drumagog with MIDI:

Drumagog now has a MIDI input! So you can trigger Drumagog directly from your MIDI tracks.

Rim

Just tried this. Too cool!

@richardyot
    Before I forget: thanks! Very kind and hugely appreciated.

• This tip is quite well-known already, but could be useful to those who are new to Auria. For more precise mixing hold your iPad in portrait orientation so that the faders have (a lot) more travel:

• edited December 2015

Recording using the iPad's built-in microphone.

This can actually give reasonable results, as long as you do a couple of things. Firstly go into Auria's settings page and set the "Built-In Speaker/Mic Processing" OFF. This disables the iPad's internal processing. To hear the difference put on some headphones and record-enable a track with the built-in mic as the input and then enable then disable this setting: you will hear a huge difference in the ambient noise/hiss of the microphone.

To fix the remaining hiss you can use the built-in gate on the Channel Strip. Tap the FX button on your channel and enable the expander by tapping on the EXP button at the bottom left. Then set the Range to infinity and the Ratio to Gate and the hiss and ambient noise will be dynamically cut out from the recording (this is non-destructive, you can tweak the settings at any time).

When the virtual LEDs light up the gate is active and the sound is being blocked:

And when they are not lit the audio is passing through:

If your recording is very quiet then you might need to lower the Threshold dial at the very top. By default this is set to -18db which is generally a good level for digital recording (more on this in a future post).

With the internal processing off and the noise gate on you can get some passable recordings from the iPad mic, useful for scratch vocals or even recording an instrument.

I will probably post more on the built-in effects in the Channel Strip at some future date. This is one area where the normally excellent manual really does not go into enough detail.

• :D keep going!

• @richardyot said:
    This tip is quite well-known already, but could be useful to those who are new to Auria. For more precise mixing hold your iPad in portrait orientation so that the faders have (a lot) more travel:

We have a large dog that loses its tennis ball under a chair and will stretch out on the floor and try to reach for it with his paw, but isn't smart enough to just get the hell up and go around to the other side. I now know how that brain capacity feels....

It KILLS me that I never thought of this before.

• Great tips, look forward to more :)

I hardly ever use the portrait mode. Good that it's there and can see the benefits with the sliders but unfortunately it's too much of a workflow killer for me as my iPad is often locked in horizontal position in a stand and bracket. Good for mixing handheld though.

• Thanks Richatdyot! Could you post your recommended starting point settings for Auria as screenshots? I have an Air1 so I don't know I that makes a difference. But at least to see for each settings page how it compares to mine. Thanks in advance.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Richatdyot! Could you post your recommended starting point settings for Auria as screenshots? I have an Air1 so I don't know I that makes a difference. But at least to see for each settings page how it compares to mine. Thanks in advance.

I don't do anything special with the settings page - I think the buffer size is the main thing to worry about there.

My approach is to try and separate the recording stage from the mixing stage as much as possible. This means setting a low latency at the start of the project (128 if possible) and doing all the recording and MIDI first.

Then once that's all done bouncing MIDI or IAA tracks down to audio, doing any audio warping for timing fixes and bouncing to audio, any cleanup and re-arranging as necessary.

The once your track is ready to mix you can increase the buffer size to the maximum (4096) and start adding plug-ins to the project without having to worry so much about CPU issues.

• That's a very important tip - Apple limits the buffer size to a maximum of 512 if you're using MIDI, but an Auria project without any MIDI tracks (or all frozen) will allow you to set the buffer size to 4096. At 4096, the CPU usage is significantly reduced.

Rim

• @richardyot said:
    Recording using the iPad's built-in microphone.

This can actually give reasonable results, as long as you do a couple of things. Firstly go into Auria's settings page and set the "Built-In Speaker/Mic Processing" OFF. This disables the iPad's internal processing. To hear the difference put on some headphones and record-enable a track with the built-in mic as the input and then enable then disable this setting: you will hear a huge difference in the ambient noise/hiss of the microphone.

... aufx:push is very effective here too, with 'expander 2' preset, tap on midi inputs in ':push' to activate Auria's midi out port, (in Auria select midi out ---> aufx:) to being able to control push externally, btw. Aufx:series remember midi bindings;
    the Saturn plugin offers a similar ailment with 'clean tape base' preset ...
    All of this and the above (thanks, RY) also with various plugged in mics, @richardyot : with a mic the speaker settings option has to be turned on again?)

• edited December 2015

@crzycrs said:
    with a mic the speaker settings option has to be turned on again?)

Don't think so.

• edited December 2015

Ok. (You're sure? ; )

• @crzycrs said:
    Ok. (You're sure? ; )

Pretty sure :) I think once you attach an interface that setting has no effect. It only affects the built-in mic and speakers, and also according to Rim it bypasses the processing sent by the iPad to the headphone socket (for cleaner output), although I haven't really been able to tell the difference with headphone output - the difference with mic and speaker is very obvious though.

• Excellent explanations, @richardyot. Well done! B) Erm, way off topic but did you edit those screenshots on your iPad? If so, would you mind naming the app(s) you used?

• @Washboy said:
    Excellent explanations, @richardyot. Well done! B) Erm, way off topic but did you edit those screenshots on your iPad? If so, would you mind naming the app(s) you used?

Sorry, I edited them in Photoshop on the desktop. I only tend to have music apps on the iPad, for graphics I think my old habits are just ingrained so I stick to the desktop. Also I wouldn't know how to upload images to the forum from the iPad.

• Here's how you post an image from iOS device:

• @mrufino1 said:
    Here's how you post an image from iOS device:

Good to know thanks.

All the screengrabs are resized and edited, I can't imagine faffing around doing that in iOS when it takes a couple of minutes in Photoshop. Now I sound like all those people who say music apps are nothing but toys... ;)

• @WaveMachineLabs said:
    Here's a tip on using Drumagog with MIDI:

Rim

Wow this is great news; much easier than exporting individual stems from drum apps!

I'm assuming the Drumagog samples' velocity layering will respond to MIDI velocity?

• @richardyot: Thanks, Richard. That makes sense - use what you're most familiar (and productive) with.

• So Drumagog can become a basic onboard drum machine for Auria. Triggered by midi notes in Auria's piano roll. That's cool.

How are the drum sample in Drumagog? I'm not really interested in 'rock' and 'accoustic' drum kits so much - more into electro kits, interesting found sounds, ethnic drums , synth hits, noise kits and glicth kits etc. etc... (Paterning factory samples are a dream for me).

How is Drumagog in this area?

And can you alter each individual sample's pitch easily, and other parameters like decay, distortion (delay, reverb?) - by individual sample? That would be cool.