Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

Comments

• edited December 2015
    @crzycrs said:

In a similar fashion to @Kaikoo we can automate an IAA effect app like crystalline with the kaosspadstyle help of chordpolypad f.e. for lyra's finger bass, like r/w for the twins:

Try it with a lil' midi loop already going.

Open crystalline in the midi track's channel strip insert.

In the midi track's port select 'ChordPolyPad' as midi input, 'Crystalline' as output.

In chordpolypad define the x and or y axis with midi cc's for midi out like maybe 20, 21.*

In crystalline tap midi learn and a parameter like reverb and feedback;
    back in chordpolypad make a move on the pad, *do the assigning one by one.

In Auria, start record (with 'midi record overdub') enabled, then go to chordpolypad and tweak.

You will find the movements recorded as automation curve in the piano roll view, in the window next to the pencil, instead of 'Notes' select 'Undefined (CC20/21)' respectively.

.... practical for playing external keyboard; I also tried with midiLFO's.

WOW! This is one of best TIPs for using AURIA PRO. 

I have a very clear understanding about this, but you make it clear to everyone to learn and realize. One of the important lesson for using third party apps. 

@JohnnyGoodYear, this lesson is awesome, check it out! thank you @RichardYot for helping us.
  • Can anyone tell me why the internal version of Turnado is flipping effects on and off on its own, as if it were already programmed (but I was just loading Default, but no matter the preset the effects were bring turned on and off according to the same pattern). This is my first time using Turnado inside Auria and I'm trying to figure out what is telling it to do this. 
  • Maybe Turnado needs a fix from SugarBytes?

Chicken first, then eggs comes in this case?
  • @Kaikoo said:
    @crzycrs said:

In a similar fashion to @Kaikoo we can automate an IAA effect app like crystalline with the kaosspadstyle help of chordpolypad f.e. for lyra's finger bass, like r/w for the twins:

Try it with a lil' midi loop already going.

Open crystalline in the midi track's channel strip insert.

In the midi track's port select 'ChordPolyPad' as midi input, 'Crystalline' as output.

In chordpolypad define the x and or y axis with midi cc's for midi out like maybe 20, 21.*

In crystalline tap midi learn and a parameter like reverb and feedback;
    back in chordpolypad make a move on the pad, *do the assigning one by one.

In Auria, start record (with 'midi record overdub') enabled, then go to chordpolypad and tweak.

You will find the movements recorded as automation curve in the piano roll view, in the window next to the pencil, instead of 'Notes' select 'Undefined (CC20/21)' respectively.

.... practical for playing external keyboard; I also tried with midiLFO's.

WOW! This is one of best TIPs for using AURIA PRO. 

I have a very clear understanding about this, but you make it clear to everyone to learn and realize. One of the important lesson for using third party apps. 

@JohnnyGoodYear, this lesson is awesome, check it out! thank you @RichardYot for helping us.

BOFFINS ABOUND!
  • @Kaikoo said:
    Maybe Turnado needs a fix from SugarBytes?

Does it do the same fir you (or anyone else)?
  • When I duplicate an audio clip and then reverse the copy it also reverses the original. Trying to figure out now how to just reverse the copy.
    This is normal, since all the audio process functions are destructive, and since Auria is a nondestructive DAW (like most desktop DAWs), a copy of a region is not a unique WAV file - all copies use the same WAV file.

If you want to apply a destructive effect to only one copy of a region, and not have it affect the others, do a "condense regions" first, before you apply the reverse.  What this does is create individual WAV files out of every region.

Rim
  • @rhcball said:
    @Kaikoo said:

I did a recording on iSem, then apply Turnado, it works on that tracks without on and off problem you described. but After I freeze that track, Auria crashed when I played it back. i therefore lost the entire project.

It is too early to tell Turnado's behaviour?  Next Turnado update, we can see it more clear what is going on.

• Hi, how to set the pitchbend range to -+24 in fabfilter twin ?? Or is it fixed range ?! Thx

• edited December 2015
    @Samk said:

Hi, how to set the pitchbend range to -+24 in fabfilter twin ?? Or is it fixed range ?! Thx

According to FabFilters website online manual, You have +/- one octave modulation by default, however, you can adjust the master tune scale as photo shown here, so +/- 3 Octaves is possible for you to record the automation on Pitchbend, I guess!

• @rhcball said:
    @Kaikoo said:

I had this. I had it on two of the knobs. I fixed it by clearing midi assignments on both knobs. Although one of the knob never actually had an assignment. Bit strange.

• @Kaikoo if you have a corrupted project that crashes on launch you should be prompted to open a snapshot next time you launch Auria. Sometimes you need to try this a few times but eventually you should be able to recover a corrupted project in this way.

Also if you do have a corrupted project you should save it to Dropbox send it to WML: [email protected]

• Ye Sir!  :D
  • @rhcball said:
    @Kaikoo said:

I had this. I had it on two of the knobs. I fixed it by clearing midi assignments on both knobs. Although one of the knob never actually had an assignment. Bit strange.

Turnado resets all its effect wheels to zero when I toggle any Auria tracks mute
     on/off. Just to confirm weird stuff happening! Still love it though :)
  • @rhcball said:
    @Kaikoo said:

Turnado resets all its effect wheels to zero when I toggle any Auria tracks mute
     on/off. Just to confirm weird stuff happening! Still love it though :)
    This is a Turnado issue, and I've let Sugar Bytes know about it.  They have a setting in their settings panel called "Turn Off Knobs on Host Stop"  which is a strange setting if you ask me ;)  I've asked them to look into why they are doing this, even if the setting is turned off.  If they send me a new version, I'll include it into the next Auria update.

Rim
  • Thank you for you reply,
    I test it sadly It is not working , meanwhile in lyra all the bending are correct with pitchbend +-24 but with twin 2 no luck

@Kaikoo said:
    @Samk said:

Hi, how to set the pitchbend range to -+24 in fabfilter twin ?? Or is it fixed range ?! Thx

According to FabFilters website online manual, You have +/- one octave modulation by default, however, you can adjust the master tune scale as photo shown here, so +/- 3 Octaves is possible for you to record the automation on Pitchbend, I guess!

• If there's an issue with twin2's pitchbend, I'll let FabFilter know about it.  What exactly is the issue, so I can describe it to them?

Thanks,
    Rim
  • This is a mini-tip that is going to be relevant to the next couple of tips I am going to post after this one.

There is a hidden way to lock selections in Auria, which is to double-tap the Multi-Select button at the top left:

Once you double-tap it a yellow padlock icon appears, this indicates your selection is now locked and can't be dropped until you double-tap the button again to unlock the selections:

This can be used in the timeline with audio and MIDI files, and also in the piano roll editor with MIDI notes.

• Piano roll editing basics:

You press the piano keys icon on the track to enter the piano roll, the zoom level is locked to the zoom of the timeline editor, so generally you will need to zoom in a little when editing notes.

There are two snapping settings to consider, above the toolbar the global grid snap settings, and above the piano roll there is also a note length setting.

Also there are two editing modes, the normal editing mode and a "draw" mode that allows you to quickly enter and edit notes. Tap the pencil icon to enter draw mode. In draw mode you tap to enter notes, the start of the note will be placed at your finger position and is affected by the global snap settings. You can tap and drag right to lengthen a note as you enter it. You can also lengthen or shorten notes interactively after they have been added by touching their right-hand edge and dragging. To delete a note, touch it.

When you are not in draw mode you can still enter notes on the grid with a long press. Editing should be done outside of the draw mode. To select multiple notes double-tap and drag out a grey marquee and then click the "Select HL" button in the toolbar:

You can then lock the selection by double-tapping the multi-select button at top left until the yellow padlock icon shows. Then it's easy to move your selected notes in the piano roll.

You can change the length of a selection of notes by using the musical notation icons to change from 8ths to 16ths for example. You can also change velocity etc...

• @richardyot , thank you, I learn things from you!

• edited December 2015

Real-time audio warping:

If your guitar playing is anything like mine you will usually need to tighten up your performances after you have recorded them. With Auria's real-time warping you can fix small timing errors or even completely change the feel of a rhythmic part.

Here I have a guitar part where the timing is slightly out in places:

First I need to anchor the waveform so I place the locator at a transient where the timing is good, and I go to Edit --> Transients --> Add Transient Marker:

Then I add some more markers, including another anchor at the end of the section I want to warp:

Next I tap the "trn" button to change its state to "warp" and move the transient markers to fix the timing:

To help with adding the markers you can use the zoom function in the toolbar to magnify the waveform:

With guitar strums I find it's generally better to have the transients placed just before the beat so that the main part of the strum coincides with the beat, but it's interesting to move the transient markers around to play with the feel of the rhythm - you can really change this quite drastically by placing the transients before or after the beat.

• To add to the above tip: whenever the "warp" state is active it will use CPU, so after you've fixed your waveform you might want to go to Process --> Bounce in Place.

However this is a destructive operation, so if you want to preserve your transient markers or if you have effects on the track that you want to keep editable you can do the following:

Disable the effects on the track, solo the track and go to Menu --> Mixdown and make sure to enable the option to import as a new track.

With the new track added to the timeline with the fixed audio, set the input of the original track to Bus 1, and the output of the new track also to Bus 1. This will feed the new audio into the old track, the waveform on the original track will now be ignored since the Bus is feeding into it. Disable the warping on the original audio (you can always re-enable and edit it again at any time), re-enable the effects, and you're good to go.

• thanks for the tips

I wonder, when in piano roll is any of the process tools good for velocity ramps, or overall more flexible velocity editing of multiple midi notes?

• edited December 2015

Velocity ramps don't seem to be possible AFAIK. Since velocity is per note any edits you make to multiple notes are going to affect them all proportionally to each other.

You could automate the MIDI volume to create a ramp:

But it would be nice to be able to "paint" velocity and any other automation effects one day.

• RichardYot, Keep going, I can not thank you enough, because My response to the thread will be crowding the space here!

• To edit an instrument:

In the Mixer View double-tap on the instrument name at the top of the channel strip:

In the Edit View tap the little "e" button by the instrument name:

• upgrade pricing is coming soon for Pro-Q 2 and Pro-C 2 if you own the earlier versions :)

• @Carnbot said:
    upgrade pricing is coming soon for Pro-Q 2 and Pro-C 2 if you own the earlier versions :)

Drats, already bought them :o

• @richardyot said:

@Carnbot said:
    upgrade pricing is coming soon for Pro-Q 2 and Pro-C 2 if you own the earlier versions :)

Drats, already bought them :o

oh no, should have been in the release version really. But just spotted it in the latest testing version. Thought it best to warn some people if they are about to buy now......

• It's something FabFilter wanted us to add, so we added it to v2.01

Rim

• Any price settings?