Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

Comments

• edited December 2015
    This is how you can use a MIDI track in a side chain:

Here there is an audio track and a MIDI track, I want to use the MIDI track to gate the audio, so I create a third track which is an audio track:

I set the output of my MIDI track to be Bus 1:

Then I set the input of the newly created third track to also be Bus 1:

Then on my first audio track (the one I want to gate) I add Pro G:

At the top left of the plugin window there is a side chain input, I set this to be Track 3, which the MIDI is feeding into via Bus 1:

Finally in the Pro G panel I click the "expert" tab and set the side chain to External:

And now my MIDI is gating my audio.
  • So why are they showing in the midi track input, if they cannot output midi?

Actually in general you can get apps to send MIDI to Auria Pro, it's just the setup that can be a little finicky because of the lack of MIDI standards in iOS (every app has a different way to configure MIDI). I posted some pictures in another thread but I'll repost them here to collect everything together.
  • @richardyot thanks for those very useful explanations, really helpful, keep 'em coming!

• edited December 2015
    To record MIDI from Animoog:

On a new MIDI track open the Channel Strip and add Animoog as a new instrument:

Switch to Animoog, go to the Setup page and set Auria as the input and output. If you want to send Aftertouch make sure to activate the Send Ch. Pressure and Send Poly Pressure buttons (thanks to @Jocphone for that one):

Then return to Auria, record-enable your MIDI track, set a count-in and start recording. Switch back to Animoog and play. The MIDI will be recorded:

• @richardyot,

Thank you so much for helping us! Shortly, I will try it with Pro G, and try Patterning with Pro G sidechain a synth!
  • Wow, brilliant thinking! I'm hoping to get some time in about an hour to do a quick video, but nothing like this! Great outside the box thinking. I'm using auria mostly to mix live jazz recordings these days, which require very little processing and no midi, so I'll have to get into crazy stuff like this some other way!

• The reference track feature is super handy, always wanted to have that in Gadget and Reason, nice one.
  • whats the reference track feature please?

• edited December 2015
    Matt_Fletcher_2000
    You can see the the notes of the other track. So when I'm drawing in the bass line I can look the notes of my chord progression to determine better what notes will fit. I know a few things about theory but I'm not trained so I can't do this by ear.
  • So why are they showing in the midi track input, if they cannot output midi?

Actually in general you can get apps to send MIDI to Auria Pro, it's just the setup that can be a little finicky because of the lack of MIDI standards in iOS (every app has a different way to configure MIDI). I posted some pictures in another thread but I'll repost them here to collect everything together.
    In my testing, I've found that very few synths output MIDI.  All of them input MIDI of curse, but output is pretty rare.  It might be good to have a list of synths that can output MIDI.  It would avoid a lot of confusion.

Also, as you mentioned, MIDI output is not possible through IAA at all (Apple never implemented this)

Rim
  • Brilliant. Thanks. Didn't realise this.

• You could also write chords that fit well (use similar notes) to an existing melody you have.

I've done this in Gadget before by duplicating the track. But comparing like this is better.

• MMmmmmmm... guru...  thanks @richardyot  :smiley: 
  • edited December 2015
    Hi, @richardyot, @firejan82 ;

I just did a test , track 1 is audio drum sound from Patterning recorded using IAA. It has Pro G sidechain to tracks3.

Track 5 is my StepPolyArp real time midi track using internal Twin2 synth.

Track 3 ( an empty audio track ), I insert bus1 as input from track5 bus1 output, 

My test give me conclusion that:

You can have audio track (track 1) has Pro G sidechain to a midi track, which can listen a midi track,

but you can not have a midi track contain Pro G then sidechain and listen to an audio track.

Only one way, which is YOU MUST PLUG SIDECHAIN EFFECT ONTO AN AUDIO TRACK, IT CAN BE GUIDED (Controlled, Modulated) BY ANOTHER AUDIO TRACK OR MIDI TRACK! 

So, Richard Yot is correct, but I just add more depth here to explain my conclusion! Prove me wrong, gentlemen!

• oh nice, didn't spot the reference track, great feature :)
  • I've succumbed to buying some presets. The ambient ones are great.

I have some more questions:

• how to you move the Twin keyboard up or down octaves?

• is it possible to automate a preset change during s track on a Twin midi track?

• When I duplicate an audio clip and then reverse the copy it also reverses the original. Trying to figure out now how to just reverse the copy.
  • I also notice that to record automatation of twin2 you don't even need to have the track record armed. You just need to set the automation to 'write'. That one caught me slightly by surprise.

• When I duplicate an audio clip and then reverse the copy it also reverses the original. Trying to figure out now how to just reverse the copy.
    alright I think I got it - condense regions and then reverse
  • I'm doing a lot of bouncing of the midi tracks since I'm using a vintage iPad4. To keep the the midi for reference tracking I copy and paste the midi clips into muted midi tracks before bouncing. I think this should help keep the cpu usage low.
  • How is Auria-pro with apps like chordpolypad, gestrument, xynthesizer, etc.? Is it a crap shoot on how each one plays (records audio/midi into?) well with Auria-pro, or can they all sit in a chain like traditional DAW?

I use apps like above extensively and I'm trying to figure out how they integrate before dropping the cash on something I might not need.
  • @richardyot does the Animoog aftertouch play back properly to Animoog from the recorded MIDI data? I've had trouble with this with other apps, it would be huge if this works.
  • Do the delays in Twin2 allow for tempo sync?

• edited December 2015
    @Halftone said:

Do the delays in Twin2 allow for tempo sync?

Master, I assume that Timeless2 built right in Auria Pro already tempo synch to DAW itself; take example, the photo shows LFO speed. So Twin2 should be the same.

• Twin2 photo for delay

@Halftone said:

Do the delays in Twin2 allow for tempo sync?

• Great thanks

• edited December 2015

In a similar fashion to @Kaikoo we can automate an IAA effect app like crystalline with the kaosspadstyle help of chordpolypad f.e. for lyra's finger bass, like r/w for the twins:

Try it with a lil' midi loop already going.

Open crystalline in the midi track's channel strip insert.

In the midi track's port select 'ChordPolyPad' as midi input, 'Crystalline' as output.

In chordpolypad define the x and or y axis with midi cc's for midi out like maybe 20, 21.*

In crystalline tap midi learn and a parameter like reverb and feedback;
    back in chordpolypad make a move on the pad, *do the assigning one by one.

In Auria, start record (with 'midi record overdub') enabled, then go to chordpolypad and tweak.

You will find the movements recorded as automation curve in the piano roll view, in the window next to the pencil, instead of 'Notes' select 'Undefined (CC20/21)' respectively.

.... practical for playing external keyboard; I also tried with midiLFO's.