Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which DAW will be the next AU host?

2»

Comments

• I don't think anyone is saying "never". It's just that there is no urgency whatsoever. Everyone either bundles their plugins, they are IAP, or you can use Audiobus or IAA. So, everyone can get what they need. AU is just another way to provide the same thing. Concept might be a bit better, but until consumers start moving away from products because they don't have AU support, devs have other things to spend their time on, that will attract business.
  • edited December 2015
    I can only guess. Maybe Apple needed something 'pro' for the iPad Pro? But it was obviously not ready for the actual launch, otherwise the Garageband update would have been live already. 

Wondering what's inside that bag too :)
    and now we have AUs and link and split view 
    this will change things 
    im ready for a new generation of apps 
  • Why can't AU support be an in-app purchase? As long as it's reasonably priced it seems a fair quid-pro-quo for the additional development time.
    It can't, at least not easily. It'd be like making IAA an in-app purchase. Audio Units and IAA nodes are registered with the system on install and the available to all other hosts. To circumvent that would mean to lock the node somehow. I'm not even sure if that would be legal, since App Review guidelines forbid 'demo' or 'trial' versions of apps or even locking down system functionality. We're run into something like this with MIDI in the past with SoundPrism.@Rich303 said:
    I don't understand why app devs feel like adding AU support is such an issue. IAA was new at some point, and app devs have implemented it. It shouldn't cost the consumer extra either. It's a more reliable technology than IAA, from what I see. So it would be more in the interest of the app devs to include it rather than have their apps become obsolete while their competitors who implement it cash in from more sales by actually keeping up with the times and providing more of a reliable product which is easier to use with other apps.
    It costs time and effort to make AU Extensions. Documentation for it is sparse, demo code is ... lacking. UI has to be re-done in some parts because the Garageband team has suggested AU Extensions only use part of the screen. It's weeks of work, at the very least, to redesign, code and test this stuff.

Would you like to work for weeks for absolutely no compensation? Without a way to charge for upgrades you're asking developers to do so.

Not going to happen.
  • edited December 2015
    @lala said:
    I can only guess. Maybe Apple needed something 'pro' for the iPad Pro? But it was obviously not ready for the actual launch, otherwise the Garageband update would have been live already. 

Wondering what's inside that bag too :)
    and now we have AUs and link and split view 
    this will change things 
    im ready for a new generation of apps 
    Split screen is nice but only applicable for a fraction of devices (Air2+). Link is very awesome however.

I don't see Garageband supporting split screen though. I'd be very surprised if they're able to pull that off. The Garageband team is pretty awesome though so I might be wrong.
  • The compensation would be continued sales as opposed to people passing up the app which has no AU support. It's inevitable at some point in the game.
  • edited December 2015
    @Rich303 said:
    The compensation would be continued sales as opposed to people passing up the app which has no AU support. It's inevitable at some point in the game.
    Some people were saying the same thing about IAA. Very few developers implemented that until Apple forced us to switch to IAA, at which time adoption got traction.

And even then IAA had more compatible apps and hosts when iOS 7 hit the store than AU Extensions have now.

EDIT: And there's something you really need to take into account: the 'no more continued sales' argument is not very strong. Most apps have already been paid for by the majority of users. Users cannot buy them again and AU Extensions cannot be monetised. I'm not saying new apps won't have the AU Extension as an additional feature. But that will happen very slowly. A very small amount of the new applications this year support AU Extensions. You can count them on one hand.
  • @Rich303 said:
    The compensation would be continued sales as opposed to people passing up the app which has no AU support. It's inevitable at some point in the game.
    Some people were saying the same thing about IAA. Very few developers implemented that until Apple forced us to switch to IAA, at which time adoption got traction.

And even then IAA had more compatible apps and hosts when iOS 7 hit the store than AU Extensions have now.

EDIT: And there's something you really need to take into account: the 'no more continued sales' argument is not very strong. Most apps have already been paid for by the majority of users. Users cannot buy them again and AU Extensions cannot be monetised. I'm not saying new apps won't have the AU Extension as an additional feature. But that will happen very slowly. A very small amount of the new applications this year support AU Extensions. You can count them on one hand.
    Thanks for your insight. Truth be told, I was an early adopter of iOS 9 specifically for AU support. But I've been regretting it entirely. :/
  • Sorry to have dampened your enthusiasm. Maybe I'm totally wrong. :)
  • No problem. It's still early in the game. But it's good to be realistic about it. It's probably gonna take a year before AU gains any traction at the very least, and I'm better off putting all thoughts about it on the backburner in order to be more productive.
  • Rolf was going forwards with this, I guess. 
    I will follow where he is going. :)

• edited December 2015
    Sorry to have dampened your enthusiasm. Maybe I'm totally wrong. :)
    Don't worry, it's nice to hear what everybody is thinking. :)
    u r under nda so you can't say anything 
    Link is in the 2nd beta loop
    l hope it will be the bomb. :)
    link came totally out of the blue for me :)
  • @lala said:
    Rolf was going forwards with this, I guess. 
    I will follow where he is going. :)

Rolf is always (one of) the first when it comes to new stuff. He can do that because he's brilliant, fast and capable. 
  • edited December 2015
    Tell me something I don't know.  lol
    he's the only one where I don't have to go after and pick up the pieces, :) (I wonder who is testing for him. )
  • @lala said:
    (I wonder who is testing for him. )

Skynet.

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    So to wrap up:
    There's no real advantage for AU over IAA except regarding multiple instances, which is more or less useless because of the RAM limitations ?
    The whole AU comotion is just non-professional/niche users with high hopes for something that will never lift off, because its not (really) supported by Apple and hopeless for developers to make a profit on ?
    And all this is caused by Apples "throwing a (useless) bone" to a user segment they have actally abandoned ?

I don't really agree entirely with this.

I've been using AU in MTS and it's great. I've had 6 instances of iSem running at the same time. Plus a couple of instances of Zero reverb. Plus other soundfont tracks and an audio track.

It works.

One big advantage over IAA is that when you start your session everything is exactly as you left it and nothing needs to be re-set up. Also, you can use 6 iSems. And you're not having to switch apps, or worry about dodgy tempo syncing between apps.

I haven't tested the limits of the number of instances of iSem - who knows how many you can have before it falls over. But 6 isn't exactly 'useless'. This is on an iPad Air 2 by the way.

Just my 2 pence :).

I'm hoping to see more AUs come out. They'd be an instant buy for me because of the convienience.

• @Sebastian said:

@lala said:
    (I wonder who is testing for him. )

Skynet.

Google offers software testing?

• Just wanted to add split screen is now supported on iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro. So not just Air 2. And of course the upcoming Air will have it too. I think that's awesome.