Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

There's a lot of new stuff so I thought it might be good to have a dedicated thread for some of the new workflows:

1) Be aware of your buffer size

Previously the buffer size was set to 4096 when mixing, which allowed for many plugins to run. With the addition of MIDI tracks the default buffer size has been reduced to 512 to allow for acceptable MIDI playback, so if you are using MIDI tracks you won't be able to run as many plugins as before.

However if you separate the recording phase from the mixing phase, and freeze the MIDI to audio (you can use the new "Bounce Track in Place" option in the Process menu) you can then increase the buffer size at the mix stage.

2) You can chain AUX effects with busses

If you have an empty track you can set it's input from any of the AUX channels (there are 6 of them now), and any effects you add on that track can be dialed in to all the other tracks via the AUX send.

The great thing about this is that you can for example EQ you reverb send separately from the main signal. If your reverb is too bright for example, simply put an EQ after it in the chain.

Just be aware of one potential catch: if you put an effect on the AUX send itself, that will be blended with any busses in parallel - so if you want the chain to be in series leave the AUX slot on the master strip empty, and use a channel with the AUX as an input.

This probably all sounds a bit confusing so I will upload some screenshots to explain.

Comments

• This is a terrific idea and will be a helpful resource (must admit I Texas-read your first point as 'Be aware of your buffet size').
  • NOTE: it's easy to set your buffer size back to 4096, so your CPU usage will be very low.  As long as you don't have any MIDI tracks in your project.

Rim
  • edited December 2015
    Here are some screenshots to illustrate the daisy-chaining of AUX effects:

Create a new track and select AUX 1 as the input:

Any audio on this track will be ignored BTW.

Next add your effects in series as inserts on this channel:

Next, and this is a little counter-intuitive, leave the AUX input on the Master strip empty:

Because if you add an effect there it will be blended in parallel with the other effects you have added on the channel that is using the AUX as an input. So for example if you are trying to EQ a reverb send it will still blend the original with it, which you don't want to do.

Finally just dial in the AUX send on your audio and MIDI tracks as normal:

• Version 2.01 is going to add direct outputs as well.  You'll be able to route any track directly to an output on your interface.

Rim
  • Version 2.01 is going to add direct outputs as well.  You'll be able to route any track directly to an output on your interface.

Rim

^Cool :) Looking forward to that and AU hosting. Great work on this massive project, Rim!
  • For IconnectAudio4+ and other interface users note that Auria Pro currently supports 10 core midi ports only (more is planned apparently) so if you are connected to the ICA4  when you start Auria Pro and have 10 ports already assigned then new ports from starting apps won't show up on the Auria midi list, they'll be in a queue. If you unplug from the ica4 and re-attach then your app midi ports will appear at the start of the list before the ica4 ports, but you'll lose a few of the ica4 ports at the end of the list

• edited December 2015

Auria now works charmantly with Audiobus and Studiomux.

• @crzycrs said:

Do you use Audiobus running into Studiomux? I could never get that to work and the online guide doesn't explain it well. Sorry for this OT intrusion but it's been a thorn in my whatever. 
  • edited December 2015

@rhcball said:
    @crzycrs said:

Don't 'Sorry', no intrusion whatever.

... on the computer daw's audiotrack you open the effect plugin, on the ipad in the audiomux app you select auria master for 'receiving from', and then in auria's channelstrip you scroll and select from the available inserts the 'Channel 1' option for 'sending to', and then in the remaining rows your preferred effects. (Or auria aux respectively.)
    ... copied from a summer's thread, let me know if it's ok, crs ... (Copy) edit: gonna try with subs 'n buses (;

• No I just meant running Audiobus into Studiomux, I can never get Audiomux to pick up AB. 
  • edited December 2015

Suggest asking zerodebug about it, rhc (: Probably updating the servers, etc.

• @richardyot thanks for the chain effects trick. I didn't know, just tried... Supercool!
  • Ok, I can understand now! Too awesome tutorial. 

• edited December 2015
    I'm trying to do some automation with the Twin2 at the moment. I would appreciate some tips on that.

I was able to do the vector drawing which is great but can I also record the movement of the knobs manually?
  • edited December 2015
    Slightly worried pre purchase question: As long as you only use internal synths/sampler, you should be able to mix at any buffer size right?
  • I can automate Lyra manually, it has the R and W buttons for automation but I can't find these on Twin2 or One. What's up with that?
  • Seems like I also can't automate IAA cc's.

So I can't manually automate the FabFilter synths and I can't automate IAA synths at all. Unless I'm missing something...
  • I can automate Lyra manually, it has the R and W buttons for automation but I can't find these on Twin2 or One. What's up with that?
    Hopefully just a bug - some things appear to be automatable via MIDI, but not all. IAA probably can't be automated because of iOS limitations.

To automate Twin2 or One, just turn on the track's W and R buttons.  

Rim
  • @RigVader said:
    Slightly worried pre purchase question: As long as you only use internal synths/sampler, you should be able to mix at any buffer size right?
    In order to use MIDI at all (internal or external), iOS limits your maximum buffer size to 512.  But if there are no MIDI tracks in your project, you can set the buffer size up to 4096.

Rim
  • cant get any midi from apps . Just thumb jam worked out easy. Missing something? All routing seems ok..

Rim
    They are not there the R and W buttons. That's what I'm saying, I only see R and W on Lyra.

Rim
    They are not there the R and W buttons. That's what I'm saying, I only see R and W on Lyra.
    The R and W in the mixer panel, just tried, and it work fine (automating twin2 filters)
  • @firejan82
    The track itself has R + W buttons (on the mixer page), use these to automate IAAs and internal synth

@yonhorizon
    You need to record-enable the midi track that you want to receive data
  • cant get any midi from apps . Just thumb jam worked out easy. Missing something? All routing seems ok..
    MIDI should work OK, make sure your track is record-enabled
  • edited December 2015
    @firejan82 Rim meant the R and W buttons on the track's main channel in the mixer view, I just tested it and it works. 

(Too slow again)
  • edited December 2015
    @pierre  WaveMachineLabsrichardyot

Awesome, thanks. Now I got my money's worth  :)
  • @RigVader said:
    In order to use MIDI at all (internal or external), iOS limits your maximum buffer size to 512.  But if there are no MIDI tracks in your project, you can set the buffer size up to 4096.

OK, Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up :-)
  • Track armed, in settings set to receive notes, in tracks's fx , input from all , or from instrument. Getting midi only from thumbjam
  • Very few apps generate MIDI.  Only ThumbJam and a few isolated other apps.  They were never made to generate MIDI.

Rim