Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StudioMux vs MusicIO ...which is better?

Anyone used both of these? they look pretty similar, I need to get one for using my iPad 4 with Ableton but not sure which to get.

Comments

• Audio issues with both but MIDI is solid in Studiomux. Haven't done MIDI with IO.

• Never had any problem with musicIO, I use it mostly for midi, and I had success routing audio to ableton

• I'm curious also. No issues with MusicIO here, seems to work well though I still can't really figure out the VST in GarageBand. No worries though since I'm mostly just using it for MIDI.

• can't speak for studiomux as I only have music io on windows 7 but it's works great for me.

• Studiomux is now working brilliantly for me with Ableton in win7. I bought the original audiomux with midimux and musicio at about the same , looking for a solution to the SBD Apollo apps and plugins which never worked for me. Both apps gave me big headaches, but the new Studiomux app and server are working perfectly in Ableton 8.42 with no lag.

• I have MusicIO working on Reaper fine.I can use 4 channels including FX routing . Only downside is no AB support.

• studiomux took me a bit of time to properly wrap my head around it -- the support materials are scattered and are a mix of clear and fairly ambiguous how-to's. The information surrounding studiomux's AU/VST routing is the least straightforward but the most critical to actually integrating iOS and OS X DAWs.

BUT, after an hour or so of setting it up just right...it's a dream. The other day, I routed Ableton's clock out to both my iPad Mini and my iPhone 6, both running their versions of Flux:FX. Clock synced after hitting play in Ableton and it stayed synced for my two hour session. Audio wasn't any more mangled than I wanted it to be, as I was running some pretty gritty presets. Set two studiomux AUs on two separate return tracks and mapped the sends knobs of multiple clips to keys on my Macbook keyboard -- with a quick keystroke, I had 5 different clips route through Sandpaper on my iPad (and back into Ableton!) and then could easily toggle a mix of warm reverb from my iPhone's instance.

There's truly no reason why you couldn't achieve with this $10 app at least a third of the functionality of iConnectAudio4+ for a thirtieth of the price. You can route inter-iOS device audio through some finagling of the AU/VST. By using sends, you have a lot of MIDI-mappable control of iOS effects in your DAW. With studiomux's AB support, you can create a virtual pedalboard limited only by your iDevice's specs.

it takes an afternoon to learn, but it's completely worth it.

• @dderks said:
    it takes an afternoon to learn, but it's completely worth it.

I tried twice now to figure it out but got impatient and just strung two Roland Duo Captures together. I really should get to know it though.

• I use StudioMux, been pretty solid since the update. I think i ran into issues when trying to get Music IO working so i've stuch with the mux.

I did have some back and forth with Pascal getting things configured, i was meaning to put in a request for a proper manual.

Sorry for the OT but could someone remind me of the steps to route DAW audio through Aurias' fx? Cheers!

• @musikmachine ... on the computer daw's audiotrack you open the effect plugin, on the ipad in the audiomux app you select auria master for 'receiving from', and then in auria's channelstrip you scroll and select from the available inserts the 'Channel 1' option for 'sending to', and then in the remaining rows your preferred effects. (Or auria aux respectively.)
    ... copied from a summer's thread, let me know if it's ok, crs

• Studiomux works really well for me. My DAW is Tracktion in Windows 8.1. I haven't been able to get MusicIO working with Tracktion so far.

• +1 for Studiomux. It's been working well for me.

• Though I haven't used it much, MIDI LE seems to work well too. Anyone with experience of all 3 can compare their plusses and minuses generally?

• Maybe someone here can help me out. I bought Studiomux a few weeks ago, and while I was able to set it up as an aggregate audio device with my interface and send audio from my iPad to Ableton (didn't try sending audio the other way around tho), I've got absolutely zero midi connections between the two. I should also point out that while the installer did install the AU plugs, there is absolutely no sign of any VSTs in Live or in the VST folder on my MacBook. Any thoughts? I'm hoping there's just some big oversight on my part.

• @crzycrs said:
    @musikmachine ... on the computer daw's audiotrack you open the effect plugin, on the ipad in the audiomux app you select auria master for 'receiving from', and then in auria's channelstrip you scroll and select from the available inserts the 'Channel 1' option for 'sending to', and then in the remaining rows your preferred effects. (Or auria aux respectively.)
    ... copied from a summer's thread, let me know if it's ok, crs

Ah yeah that was the step i was forgetting in Auria! Muchos gracias!

• @Accent said:
    Maybe someone here can help me out. I bought Studiomux a few weeks ago, and while I was able to set it up as an aggregate audio device with my interface and send audio from my iPad to Ableton (didn't try sending audio the other way around tho), I've got absolutely zero midi connections between the two. I should also point out that while the installer did install the AU plugs, there is absolutely no sign of any VSTs in Live or in the VST folder on my MacBook. Any thoughts? I'm hoping there's just some big oversight on my part.

I always create a port in iPad Studiomux, called 'ipad', and route all the MIDI into it. Never had a problem. Also always make sure Studiomux is on in the background on the computer, and that you restarted your computer after installing it.

• edited November 2015

• Musicio is the best compare to the Studio Mux.

• @crystal20 said:
    Musicio is the best compare to the Studio Mux.

In what respect?

• that means Musicio is the better than Studio Muxx

• Am using both at times, respectively. Especially musicIO together with midimux.

• edited November 2015

Gonna have to try IO (again) cuz Studiomux crashes FL Studio like crazy when I try to run audio. Will be nice when/if this stuff gets nailed down.

I probably shouldnt have upgraded to Windows 10.

• @crystal20 said:
    that means Musicio is the better than Studio Muxx

I mean it what way is it better? Muxx does what it does well so i was wondering how MusicIO was better.

• @rhcball said:
    Gonna have to try IO (again) cuz Studiomux crashes FL Studio like crazy when I try to run audio. Will be nice when/if this stuff gets nailed down.

I probably shouldnt have upgraded to Windows 10.

But one 110m people already have, or so the notification keeps telling me. :P

• I just worked with Music IO for about fifteen minutes, three crashes of FL Studio & my audio interface went out. It's either Windows 10 or FL Studio or both or neither.

• Finally got the hang of Studiomux. Wow, pretty amazing app as far as I can tell. I got everything to work. Feels a little all over the place with using the AU plugins for certain things and hooking up directly for others, but now that I know what I'm doing, it seems like a very well done app. As far as I can tell, I may not have to use my wired iConnectMIDI2+ if I don't want to. Options..

For me, the VST plugins installed don't show up in Ableton Live, but I've used them successfully in Bitwig.

• @rhcball said:
    I just worked with Music IO for about fifteen minutes, three crashes of FL Studio & my audio interface went out. It's either Windows 10 or FL Studio or both or neither.

Your process of elimination is infallable!

• i'll be in a cave playing bongos, come get me when technology is flawless.

• I vote Studiomux and midimittr

• @rhcball said:
    i'll be in a cave playing bongos, come get me when technology is flawless.

Haha may wanna take some supplies, could be a while.