Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fugue Machine, new app by maker of Arpeggionome, AVAILABLE NOW

Comments

• The way this tool capitalizes on the fundamental music concept of variations on a theme is brilliant IMO.

In addition to separate MIDI channels, I think Fugue Machine would really be enhanced with some kind of song mode where you could sequence patterns.

• edited October 2015

@Alexandernaut

In his review, http://www.musicappblog.com/fugue-machine-review/

John saying the following:
    However, if you could set up different loop points for each of the four playheads, that would open up all sorts of very interesting creative options in much the same way that patterning’s different drums can be set to patterns with different step numbers. I’ve no idea what the technical challenges might be to code this sort of feature… but it would be great to see (and hear).

+1

I am highly expecting this feature for Fugue Machine too!

• I have been holding off on purchasing any more apps since Patterning but this one might be the one to break this streak. I have one major concern though.

I noticed in Doug's video that whenever you go to edit something you have to hold a button down in the top left-hand corner with one finger while you do the editing with another. This is a big problem for individuals like myself who can only essentially use one finger at a time – in my case a mouth stick as I have no use of my hands, so I was wondering if anybody has noticed if there is another method to perform edits, or enter "edit mode" if you will?

Over so other than that this is an instant purchase for me. Like just about everybody else I would really look forward to having a separate MIDI channel for each play head and a song mode wouldn't hurt either.

Brilliant app!

• @ecamburn said:
    In addition to separate MIDI channels, I think Fugue Machine would really be enhanced with some kind of song mode where you could sequence patterns.

Melt.

• Not melt!

Vaporize!

• @Paulyboy The shift key in the upper left is only used for a few functions, mostly you can manage without it, so I wouldn't let that put you off. You could do wonderful things without it!

• @PhilW said:
    Paulyboy The shift key in the upper left is only used for a few functions, mostly you can manage without it, so I wouldn't let that put you off. You could do wonderful things without it!

Ok cool thanks..I\ll probably give in.

• edited October 2015

England nil Estonia nil at half time. The boys started off at a good clip, but couldn't make too much of a dent past the backline of the visitors until young Theo Walcott nipped in at the 44th minute to put our boys in front (Ross Barkley was the delivery man there, providing a terrific assist with a wonderfully threaded pass through the penalty area and into the path of Walcott, who expertly dispatched the ball past Aksalu and into the bottom corner).

On the other side of things and in the same 45 minutes I did put together a small homage to the sort of music I would expect you to hear on the unreleased soundtrack of The Third Man while walking to a particularly cheap and unreliable nightclub in the Russian Zone (this would be 1946). Synthmaster, into Fugue, out to Frobulator/FLUX and Stereo Designer and quickly snaffled by Ausdioshare. I probably won't release this short epic, but if I do it will likely be under the name James Milner, Drenched In Our Own Filth.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Drenched In Our Own Filth*.

Yeah.

I like that track - is it just the one sound/sample? I think I'm trying too hard by feeding 3 apps into it and getting drenched in muck, maybe I need to simplify the thing like wot you done.

• @monzo said:

Yup. Single patch: 'Altogether Now' from the Synthmaster Player 'Sounds of the World' Bank. Think Frobulator got me over the hump here.

Er, anyway, you calling me simple, mate?

Sorry, got my hooligan on. Must calm down.

• @Cinebient said:
    Fugue Machine triggering Cthulhu triggering (...add your synth or sample tool of choice) = WTF!
    Now switch in between a midi modulator..... WTF X 2 ;)
    This as AU with several instances would be great.
    I mean it´s possible to do similar things with other tools but not so fast and easy. Great App.

Oh boy oh oh boy oh boy!

• edited October 2015

Thanks everybody for the incredible feedback! I'm keeping track of the feature requests. Some are super amaze. / Below are responses to some questions.

@JohnnyGoodyear, @kobamoto: 128 slots but you can backup the entire library in Settings > Other Settings > Pattern Backups. And I actually think it’s currently not the best implementation for storing patterns, so I plan to optimize this is the near future :]

@Coloobar: At the moment, you cant record MIDI into the sequencer. However, I very much want this feature too! Only thing is, it’s going to take quite a bit of work. Definitely in the pipeline though :]

@Harro: Indication of octave number is available. Make sure you have Settings > Other Settings > Show Playhead Notes to ON. Then you’ll notes as C2, C3, C4, etc..

@Cinebient: No Swing or user scales yet. Definitely will add user scales, there are just some interface concerns I need to figure out. And will consider swing if it makes sense.

@Kaikoo: yes, start and end points would be super cool. Initially was against this because I wanted to stress the concept of recursion, but now I’m thinking… it would be super cool :]

/ iPhone or Universal version in the pipeline!

/ song mode. yes.

• @Samu said:
    I could not resist this app any longer.

It's the first time I've also encountered and iOS 'Glitch' that started to puzzle me like a lot?!?

(Does iOS put background apps to sleep automatically if there is no activity even if the app is producing sound and receiving midi? Background Audio is enabled in Lorentz).

I was using Fugue Machine to drive Lorentz recording the output to AudioShare using IAA.

Since Fugue Machine has a nice slider that allows for quick transposition I decided to record a longer performance straight into AudioShare.

It worked fine in the beginning but after around 45 seconds the output from Lorentz dropped.(tried a few more times same again). I have no problems performing longer pieces, it's just that AudioShare stops recording Loerentz after ~1 minute.(it continues to record the internal mic instead).

Could this be iOS that is playing tricks on me?
    The performance is simply holding down the finger on the screen and moving it up and down to transpose...

Memory/CPU should not be an issues (Air 2 iOS9.0.2 ~15GB free space on the iPad no other apps running).

Well, maybe it's just a sign that I should be doing something else today instead of being 'put into a trance' by the melodies that Fugue Machine is capable of creating :D

I will try with some other apps later and see if this is only related to Lorentz...

There is no indication in Fugue Machine as to how many notes it is outputting at once?
    (It could be that the Midi-Buffer in Lorentz gets all wonky and causes it to drop producing sound).

Oh well, I still do enjoy using Fugue Machine :)

Before your post i tried lorentz, too, and after some time my ipad air with ios8 just stop playing any sound, first lorentz... Notes were trigered but no sound. Then no sound at all, soundcloud, youtube

• @Alexandernout, more playheads, please?

• @Goozoon said:
    Before your post i tried lorentz, too, and after some time my ipad air with ios8 just stop playing any sound, first lorentz... Notes were trigered but no sound. Then no sound at all, soundcloud, youtube

That has happened to me too when tweaking sounds in Lorentz, reboot of the iPad was needed to get sound back.
    There are no crash-logs for Lorentz that could be helpful to the developer either, hopefully it will be sorted out with future updates if more people have this 'problem'. It feels like a pretty severe bug that crashes Core Audio...

With all other apps Fugue Machine works just fine, and that's what this thread is all about :)

• Just a quick question, does it work well at faster tempos, i'm seeing the use for downtempo stuff but can it be used for short fast sequences for house and techno?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Sorry, got my hooligan on. Must calm down.

I just tried it with a single Thor pad, then added iM1 into the mix. Sounded pretty good actually, not punk but I'd get an ambient album out of him oi oi

• The Third Man
    by Anton Karas, Harry Lime Theme:

• edited October 2015

@monzo Oi indeed. Had the kid with us for our mad ten day trip and his task (assigned by school) was to write a daily blog etc. To add some more misery on the poor young man's head I also gave him a 'Word of the Day' to define/explain etc. Ranging from Pukka to Haptic. Last among them: Oi :)

• @crzycrs said:

I'm all about the zither :)

Truly great film.

• Awesome app, thanks :)

Bit of a long shot feature request as it'd probably be a lot of work but how about automation of the playheads? Being able to drag the playheads around with your finger and record the automation or a quantised version of it...then loop it.

I can see there's many ways this could grow but it's already a great piece of software design :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    monzo Oi indeed.

I thought that was my name until I went to school and discovered I had a proper one.

• I fuckin love me Airfix

• @monzo said:

They’ll be up before the Airfix committee.

• @u0421793 said:
    They’ll be up before the Airfix committee.

Years ago that was the junkie version of the Mile High Club. Only because I was scared of flying mind you.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Years ago that was the junkie version of the Mile High Club. Only because I was scared of flying mind you.

About a month or so ago I heard then saw a B-17b fly quite low over the house, for some reason. I heard it, recognised the sound of a piston engined plane, shot over to the window and saw it bank overhead. We live very near London City Airport, but it wasn’t landing at or coming from LCY, and it was a Saturday afternoon, which is the LCY half-day off to repair tarmac and stuff.

• @pierre said:

Love the track man. Dark and fun at the same time!
    The app is incredible as well. I was only able to last 12 hours before I bought it lol but well worth the money. Used it to control photophore and it was music to my ears

• edited October 2015

@CalCutta said:
    This feels almost like Genome's remix pad on steroids, pretty sure Matt_Fletcher_2000 is going to love this.

Thanks for thinking of me!

I hadn't seen this thread and happened just to be checking out ABRemote enhanced apps and saw this come up. So I bought it last night and had a quick play. I need to get more into it but it looks very nice.

Messing with the "loop brace" as a sequence plays through could be a very cool way to improvise stuff on the fly BTW. Bit like the remix panel in Genome. Although the nice thing about Genome is when you stop messing it returns the sequence to the 'correct' place rhymically... Which I doubt this app does.

Looking forward to more exploring though.

• Yep. @pierre - that's a great track. Love it.

I really want to understand what you did.

So you made sure that each play head was playing notes in a very different octave/note range to the other ones? Ie very high notes | mid highs | lows | super low bass ?

Then it made it easy to duplicate to 4 Gadget tracks/instruments, delete the other notes and keep just the 'band' of notes relating to each play head?

That right?