Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fugue Machine, new app by maker of Arpeggionome, AVAILABLE NOW

Comments

• edited October 2015

Also, to anyone with the app already (thank you thank you!), I suggest checking out all the preset patterns! They'll give you an idea of all the different ways I discovered the multiple playhead concept can work.

For pretty much all of them, let them play a bit as is, then start to add the other playheads when it feels right.

And please note: changes are quantized and occur on touch up! So you can hold your finger down on the button for a while and let go just before you want it to start.

Most notably, try:

002: Dotted 1 — after letting the blue and red playheads for a bit, add orange and yellow at the same time.

003: Triplet 1 — getting triplets to sound good is tricky, but this was my favorite

005: Bach — because bach

011: Hidden Melody — Notice the melody that emerges from the combination of the 3 heads playing.

017: Recursive Chords — Let the melody play a bit, then add in all others at the same time to create a chord progression made of the melody itself!

026: Transposer — this one is great to play with the Shift-Slider (the slider control on the right hand side)

027: Vbcc — notice the selected note C6. Move this one around vertically while the sequence is playing. Use two finger gesture, it's easier.

028: Glassy — because Philip Glass

032: Slower — Nice, slow evolving pad. Can get super slow if you set to tempo to 4 BPM!

021: Dotted 2 — pretty sure this one's my favorite, not sure why.

• Any chance you will be doing an app bundle?

• can someone do a rundown of the presets and how many of them are there, also what are the export functions like?

and thank you Alexander for developing this app.

• I wonder if it's possible to add support for Scala files. It would be great if ScaleGen could export to this.

• @monzo said:
    Looks like an instant buy, one question - can you control four separate MIDI apps or is it just harmonising a single app?

Oscilab.

• Such a great app!Congratulations!It IS Very musical.I tried it with several apps- Alchemy,
    Synthmaster ,iSynfonie etc. and all results were surprising in a Very Very positiv sense!
    One of the best apps I purchased in the last couple of months...

• @Alexandernaut if you can somehow implement a way to produce fudge i'll definitely buy it. :P

• hey guys how are the iPad 3's doing with the app, is that enough muscle?

• I always want to press Play again to stop the head, is it just me?

@Goozoon said:
    I always want to press Play again to stop the head, is it just me?

same here

• edited October 2015

@kobamoto, I designed it down to iPad 2, so I'd say iPad 3 is good to go :]

@Goozoon and @nick, designed that way so can retrigger each playhead musically. It's a lot of fun. Especially when using Audiobus Remote triggers.

• edited October 2015

So I just "played" one of the hidden melody presets by retriggering and stuff. That was fun in itself, but I recorded the midi out to Cubasis. In Cubasis, I quickly copied and then split the midi into high and low parts with little effort. Still, it will be 'mo better when midi is upgraded for multichannel.

Ive only done one quick spin, but I think it's a winner!

• Oh and for some unknown reason when I launch this app, I get hungry for fudge. Strangest thing.

• @Fitz said:
    I wonder if it's possible to add support for Scala files. It would be great if ScaleGen could export to this.

That's a good idea, I've been using that a bit recently, a very useful app. I would like this feature too!

Ok I've bought it and love it, I much prefer the design over arpeggionome pro as well...can't wait for the multi midi out :)

A way of sequencing different patterns would be a nice feature but I see that it accepts midi program changes so you could do that externally.

Other ways of getting notes in would be useful so midi notes in other than clock would be great.

• It's not what I expected it to be- and I wasn't expecting it to cost £7.99, but I've had a lot of fun with it so far. A great app when you feel like tweaking nothing into something.
    A load of happy accidents waiting to happen.

• will it listen to my nanokey?

• edited October 2015

Can you (or anyone!) explain the shift slider on the right hand side - does this shift the pattern but keep within the key, so if for example you are in C major and have a pattern which revolves around a C major chord, you can use the slider to shift it to F major, A minor, E minor, etc? Or can you change the key to Bb, etc I also like the idea of moving notes as the sequence is playing to get different harmonies.

• Stays in key, change the degree in the scale

you can also transpose the key in the parameters

• That's cool, I'd like to see that demoed somewhere - or maybe I should just buy the thing!

• @rhcball said:
    Assembly came out today too, gonna fire up the roommate's mastercard.

What is this you speak of?

• Got this straight away just because I was so happy with Arpeggionome!!! Thanks Alexander!!

• @1P18 said:
    Thanks for the reply. I hope to see it soon.

+1

• RJBRJB
    edited October 2015

Coming up with some very interesting rhythms by routing into iM1's drum sounds

• @Icepulse said:
    What is this you speak of?

Really cool graphic design app by Pixite whose other apps are go-to for my visual stuff.

Assembly - Graphic design for everyone by Pixite LLC
    https://appsto.re/us/Ixdd9.i

• Damn you Sir. I was chugging along in ignorant bliss with three dollars in my pocket, but now I'm penniless (and a tart for Pixite :).

• edited October 2015

As for The Fugue, as mentioned elsewhere I saw the look on The Hack's face and thought about some of my own favorite patches and Thor and had to have it.

I understand (I don't understand) there are technical questions as regards running four different channels etc etc which will be addressed, but just as is it's a work of art. My first concern is/was that there are only 128 slots for saving patterns and I feel certain this won't be enough.

• What a brilliant tool for generating variations on a motif. One good riff is all you need ladies and gents. Fugue Machine will take care of the rest. :-)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    As for The Fugue, as mentioned elsewhere I saw the look on The Hack's face and thought about some of my own favorite patches and Thor and had to have it.

I understand (I don't understand) there are technical questions as regards running four different channels etc etc which will be addressed, but just as is it's a work of art. My first concern is/was that there are only 128 slots for saving patterns and I feel certain this won't be enough.

yeah 128 is when it's just getting good to you

• edited October 2015

This is a very interesting app, glad I purchased out of boredom (and the Bach hook reeled me in as well). Just scanned through the presets, probably about to spend a lot of time with it and come up with something.

Anybody sent MIDI out to a drum machine yet? (Edit: if I had read 5 posts ago I would have seen that my answer was yes)

It also seems very conducive to pad drones, which is what I'm about to dive into.