Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus - disappearing audio problem

2»

Comments

• edited July 2015

@CalCutta said:
    This specific issue with feedback and silence is prevalent on my setup and the main reason I wouldn't use AB in a live setup at present. It's just too random and seems to come with a lot of different app combinations.

A lot of times it comes in during the middle of working on something, typically for me when I add an effect into the chain.

Dude we know. We really do. And I really think this is going to be fixed but sadly as far as we know it's something that Apple has to fix so ... let's hope for iOS 9 or iOS 8.5 improving this.

• @monzo said:
    Yeah that's right, I'm an idiot, thanks for your input - round of applause for pointing out the obvious mistake I've already admitted I made.

Must have missed the part where you admitted that it's user error. Seems kind-of dickish to demand professionalism from everyone else when you play with your gear like toys.

• @Paul said:

MiMiX can be very useful for trouble shooting and creating Audiobus setups as you can mute Audiobus lanes and still see wave forms being produced for individual lanes. Just mute all of the lanes in a new setup and see visually if there are problems before exposing your ears to them.

Thanks, I've seen that recommended a couple of times now so I'll probably have to get this. I notice it hasn't been updated for a while, so hope it's still compatible.

• @solador78 said:
    Must have missed the part where you admitted that it's user error. Seems kind-of dickish to demand professionalism from everyone else when you play with your gear like toys.

General forum advice is to ignore trolls, but just for you:

" I loaded up DM1 into AB, but it was very quiet so I turned up the mixer - big mistake."

Now unless you have anything constructive to add to the discussion why don't you go away and annoy someone else?

• @monzo said:
    Regardless of who's fault it is, I need to know what apps I can rely on.

LOL!!!

• @monzo said:
    How about when an app is reported as having issues on here, are you still going to list them as being fully supported? Tonestack shouldn't be on your list. I've just tested it as an IAA effect via Audioshare without any issues, so the 'screeching' seems directly related to using it with Audiobus.

I am going to contact the Yonac guys. It looks like something they're doing in Tonestack might force this particular issue now and then. But it is an issue with Inter-App-Audio. Specifically bug #18793520. More about it here: https://audiob.us/bugs

• @Sebastian said:
    I am going to contact the Yonac guys. It looks like something they're doing in Tonestack might force this particular issue now and then. But it is an issue with Inter-App-Audio. Specifically bug #18793520. More about it here: https://audiob.us/bugs

Meanwhile, TS is rock solid for me and I've only had this issue once with Jamup.

• @monzo said:
    General forum advice is to ignore trolls

Good advice. Also: please keep it civil. If you want to continue talking about this in a civil manner please everyone refrain from any sort of name calling to anyone. I've contacted Yonac and we'll see how it goes from here.

I'm not going to remove the app without first talking to the developer and figuring out if it's something they do.

• gah!! don't remove ToneStack, we like it. (obviously, not what you are doing)

What I'm really saying is I'm glad that removing apps is not your solution. Maybe at the very least the app list could include the version of Audiobus SDK that the app has implemented. That way, those who care can get a quick idea of how recently the app has been brought in line with the latest Audiobus version.

• @Sebastian said:
    Good advice. Also: please keep it civil.

The only troll here is the guy who posts countless complaints about every single app there is and is constantly bitching about developers and bugs and always demanding refunds. Broken record.

• @solador78 said:
    The only troll here is the guy who posts countless complaints about every single app there is and is constantly bitching about developers and bugs and always demanding refunds. Broken record.

Just had a look at his previous comments. Interesting.

• Well ban me then if I'm such a burden, and side with the guy that's stirring up trouble.

• @Sebastian said:

Sorry, didn't mean to come off like I was complaining. Was more posting to share my experiences.

I do find Audiobus immensely useful. I also found this thread informative.

• My 2 big issues currently (and still)

Nave

Z3Ta

NAVE
    -can't use as input slot in AB tabs don't work
    - drops off randomly

Z3Ta

• can't use as input slot in AB
    • preset don't load initially when opening app
    • just doesn't work well

BOTH OF WHICH REALLY HAVEN'T DONE MUCH AS FAR AS UPGRADES IN A WHILE.

Of course, I have other IOS 8 related snafus and hiccups. I will use Cyclop tonight and examine it.

Sugar Bytes as a whole has never really nailed the IOS 8 thing. I know this because I was a hanger on to IOS7 and KNOW for a fact, these problems didn't exist with IOS7 for me

On an IPAD AIR

• @Paul said:
    Relative to other apps, DM1 has a very high default volume output so making sure the volume is turned down before you start playing can minimize some issues too. The apeSoft apps are another example where the output volume should be turned down low initially to avoid high volumes.

At this point losing audio and the screeching issue are better than the earlier versions of Audiobus and iOS 8 which was a crash fest, but if I were to attempt to use an Audiobus setup in a live situation I'd be testing and documenting its stability quite a lot in preparation. Hopefully things will continue to improve and not degrade with iOS 9.

MiMiX can be very useful for trouble shooting and creating Audiobus setups as you can mute Audiobus lanes and still see wave forms being produced for individual lanes. Just mute all of the lanes in a new setup and see visually if there are problems before exposing your ears to them.

If I can get a stable setup going, it tends to stay that way. Adding or taking away even one app can destabilize things. For more complex setups it can be quite a chore to get a stable setup. Airplane mode, clean starts, and not having other apps running can help but not eliminate issues. Even saved setups that were working can require fiddling around with removing and reloading individual apps into Audiobus until the connections are stable.

I can understand how for many people these issues would create situations where this isn't a viable option whereas for others they can work around them which isn't to say they wouldn't want more stability too.

Evaluating whether or not to incorporate apps into your setup can be problematic as iOS, app, Audiobus, iOS device, and the allocation of resources between running apps are constantly changing. Forums like this can be helpful but your particular experience may differ significantly. MIDI implementations can further complicate these experiences.

Does DM1 still sync start with Cubasis in Audiobus?

I put it back on with the new Audiobus excitement and it doesn't seem to start.

• @monzo said:
    Well ban me then if I'm such a burden, and side with the guy that's stirring up trouble.

Hey buddy, I want you to succeed, like everybody else here.

• @RustiK said:
    My 2 big issues currently (and still)

Nave

Z3Ta

NAVE
    - drops off randomly

Z3Ta

• can't use as input slot in AB
    • preset don't load initially when opening app
    • just doesn't work well

BOTH OF WHICH REALLY HAVEN'T DONE MUCH AS FAR AS UPGRADES IN A WHILE.

Of course, I have other IOS 8 related snafus and hiccups. I will use Cyclop tonight and examine it.

Sugar Bytes as a whole has never really nailed the IOS 8 thing. I know this because I was a hanger on to IOS7 and KNOW for a fact, these problems didn't exist with IOS7 for me

On an IPAD AIR

I FORGOT TO ADD THIS.

With the new Audiobus remote app, I am able to just use another Ipad or IPhone to switch back and forth without using the tabs.

Thanks Sebastian, you fixed my Nave issue without even knowing it.

• @solador78 said:
    Hey buddy, I want you to succeed, like everybody else here.

Enjoying yourself?

• I don't want to start a separate thread since you're talking ab pipelines etc. I'm
    experiencing FX app not working when another one is plugged.

This is especially true to sugar bytes turnado and effectrix. I plug it in, then when I've plugged another FX ie. Tone stack or wow turnado stops working so I need to unplug it then wait until it stops flashing replug it again for it to work.

I've written to sugar bytes but they can't reproduce it. Anyone else here having this issue?

• @monzo said:
    Well ban me then if I'm such a burden, and side with the guy that's stirring up trouble.

I'm not doing anything. I only ban people if users are complaning. So once again, please everyone stay civil.

@RustiK said:
    My 2 big issues currently (and still)

Nave

Z3Ta

NAVE
    - drops off randomly

You mean the Audiobus connection panel doesn't work? That should be fixed in the upcoming update.

• @Sebastian said:

I've been perfectly civil, I reported an issue (just like lots if others have done in this thread) and the other user jumped in and instead of commenting on the thread topic, started making barbed comments towards me to get a reaction. I called him a troll because that is exactly what he's doing.

Look I'm 52 years old I really don't need this, if you have an issue with me or my comments then just ban me, if not then please sort out the real troublemakers on the forum - there's a big difference between complaining about an app and picking fights with other members for the fun of it.

• edited July 2015

@RustiK I could not get DM1 to sync with Cubasis for recording in Audiobus, but I can get DM1 to record an audiotrack in Cubasis by sending midi to control DM1 (just receive Cubasis midi in DM1 no tempo sync). I can record audio and midi notes from DM1 into Cubasis with IAA with sync . One strategy, you can record midi from DM1 via IAA, then start an Audiobus session and use the recorded midi from Cubasis to drive DM1 in this setup. In this manner you could play DM1 in Audiobus using Cubasis and when you've got your timing worked out and are ready to record, go into IAA and then back into Audiobus to record the final audio tracks with correct timing. It's a hassle but not as much as zooming in and trying to slice and line tracks up correctly.

• @monzo said:

Well I hope it doesn't come to this.

Monzo is a big contributor to this forum and regularly provides feedback about AudioBus and many other apps. He is an all round good egg and I value his discussion here and on the many occasions we have talked.

• @monzo said:
    I've been perfectly civil, I reported an issue

I respectfully disagree with your proposal to implement sanctions against countless AB-compatible apps because you don't know what you're doing.

• edited July 2015

Before this thread descended into unpleasantness, I learnt a lot from Sebastian's comments regarding the current state of things.

Just to reiterate:

It's essentially Apple's fault as AB was working fine (iOS 7 ?) before Apple introduced their IAA thing.

Things will improve when Apple sort this out and if apps are including the most recent version(s) of the AB SDK that's the best that can be expected currently.

Actual devices being used is less significant.

AB are doing the best they can on their side of things and things are improving.

There aren't any apps which are more susceptible to audio drop-outs etc. than others.

Am I correct (or not) on these points ?

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this thread seeing as AB is so fundamental to the way a lot of people work.
    I think @Monzo's point about developers clamouring to accommodate AB remote when there are still issues with AB is a good one.

• edited July 2015

@solador78 said:
    you don't know what you're doing.

Obviously