Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

output apps (like MT DAW) in the input slot

with the arrival of Remaster in the effects slot, i began thinking about the concept of mastering with audiobus which led me to wonder why an app like multitrack DAW which appears logically in the output slot shouldn't also be available in the input slot... That way one could send a recorded track or tracks from a DAW in the input slot through the effects slot (with an ever wider selection of effects) and back into the same (or other) DAW in the output slot. Maybe I'm just catching up... Is that why loopy is in the input slot?

Comments

• Yep re: loopy. I've been using it to process loops through audulus or jamup and back into a new loop in loopy. works a treat. MTD would just need to implement the functionality.

• Wait a second. Toolshed? Washougal toolshed?

• Yes. With loopy in the input slot, you can select the Master or seperate loops as individual inputs to route through efx and into the output (even back into loopy! I've re-sampled a number of times this way).

Out of curiousity, how is Remaster? Are there plans to extend to functionality of the app? A lin ph EQ would be nice to have, but not enough for me to shell out $1.99 + .99 just to render the file. (I feel so cheap, but the app marketplace is competitive. 10 years ago a $3 7-band Eq would have been a no-brainer. Oh how things change)

• The $.99 isn't to render the file - it's to export a PDF of the settings.

• I saw that in the description, but on the store it's IAP list 1. Render to file (I imagine a one-time IAP) and 2. Export to PDF (which I know is every export)

• Oh. That's weird considering how the dev emphasized 'ONE IAP' in the description.

• How do you resample into Loopy? I presume you can't have it in the input and output slots at the same time, so do you just put it into input and record the live sound using the standard Loopy record functions?

• Yes you can have it in the input and output at the same time. I think there's a video with it on (is it nlog with it's delay?)

• Uglykidmoe: I haven't tried remaster. I did look on their site and they plan to add compression as well.

• Syrupcore: I must not be the toolshed you're thinking of, I don't catch your reference

• @syrupcore agreed. very weird. I'll continue waiting for confirmation of one or the other.

@toolshed understood.

@Michael Ian is correct. It is totally possible to use it in both places at once. I was just as shocked and pleased as I'm sure you are.

• I've just seen where it was: it's the 5th or 6th video in the help section of Audiobus itself, filtered through nlog

• For those curious about the odd Remaster IAP, the developer commented over at Discchord about the origin, which involved a former client who requested PDF export but then never paid their bills. He doesn't expect anyone to actually want or use this functionality, but left it in with the per-use IAP to spite the client. Sounds like he sees he's caused more confusion than it was worth.

• @JohnInBoston thanks for clearing that up. I'll be sure to check out this app at some point. Name is reminiscent of NIN Year Zero character.... John of Boston.

• @michael-r-grant, you may have figured it out by now, but when you make Loopy an input, you can choose just one track output as input into Audiobus. Then the other tracks go straight out the speaker (ie other tracks don't go through Audiobus), so that you can have all your other tracks playing away (previewing by not processing through Audiobus), and the output back into Loopy will record only the effected track processed through Audiobus. This way you're previewing the whole mix, but processing the one channel at a time - out of Loopy track x (as input), recorded back into Loopy track y (as output)... Once you're happy with effects settings, tap the Loopy to record the new, Loop (committing effects to a new track). Hope this helps,

Gary