Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM ft Johnny Goodyear - 001 (Soundscape)

So, I had a small thing where people would help me choose random sounds, but only @johnnygoodyear helped me this round. He supplied me with three superb loops (bass guitar, drum loop, and synth), and this is the result of my mucking about in Soundscaper using my "Sekrit Randomizing Machine" to set initial things like LFO speeds and depths, and other good stuff. Besides the randomizer, I also wrote out a score to follow along with.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucbjhoi1ar6r67v/File Jun 18, 1 44 16 PM.jpeg?dl=0

And here's the final soundscape.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfsabm4t6bbtjtz/JWM ft Johnny Goodyear - 001-converted.m4a?dl=0

Cheers. Next up...a JWM remix of one of the most infamous pieces of early electronic music. (Don't worry, it's not going to be a crappy EDM remix. :P )

Comments

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Opinions? :p

Needs more Soundcloud.

• Listened earlier and I DON'T RECOGNIZE MY OWN CHILDREN! And I think that's a good thing :) Sounds like a cacaphonous noise and an ai anthem to industry.

• @solador78 For me, Dropbox is better until I really strike a good soundscape. :) That was my very first one afterall.

@JohnnyGoodyear LOL! Exactly the point. :) I had a lot of fun with this collab. Maybe again sometime in the not-so-distant future.

• Sorry @jwmmakerofmusic I didn't send you any source material. Have only been dipping into the forum sporadically this month due to work and other commitments. Will definitely provide you with something next time you put the call out.

Enjoyed sitting through this piece. Must admit I tend to drift in and out of actively listening to it but suspect that is part of the point of this thing you call a soundscape?

So was the process: queue up a load of sounds, hit record and start pressing buttons on your "sekrit randomising machine" and see where it leads? Was there are any kind of review or editing stage? Just curious to know the criteria for when you "publish"

Great stuff overall! Definitely gave me some ideas for my own future explorations.

• edited June 2015

Haven't been able to listen to this via the Dropbox link (using iPhone) but I'll have a listen when I'm on the desktop.

• Yeah I like it - I listen to this type of thing all day. Classic Soundscaper stuff - personally it'd be nice if you could make it sound less like Soundscaper - bring your samples to the fore and mangle them a bit - maybe record a few soundscapes onto different tracks in a DAW and then mix them in and out...that'd make it a bit more unique. I'm happy listening to it though, drifting off through the windmills of my mind and making flour while the sun shines...

• Nice. Subtly disturbing, and pretty impressive.

• BUT MY CHILDREN.....

• @jwmmakerofmusic @monzo So what's the consensus on Soundscaper, worth getting?

• edited June 2015

@Jocphone said:
    jwmmakerofmusic monzo So what's the consensus on Soundscaper, worth getting?

I was very excited about it when it first came out, then their first update borked it for me on the ipad 2. Runs fine on the Air 2 - but I don't think I ever rekindled those first flames of love. I think the problem is it tends to sound very samey - I recognised it instantly on this track - unless you put a lot of work into it.

Again it's one of those apps that I like having, and occasionally gets a boozy half hour's play, but hasn't found it's way onto any of my tracks in a long time.

It's fun, and I don't regret buying it, but less essential for soundscapes than say, Borderlands.

• @monzo said:
    It's fun, and I don't regret buying it, but less essential for soundscapes than say, Borderlands.

Hmm, I have Borderlands but never used it for anything serious down to the fact that the timing of the blips can't be synced or adjusted with any kind accuracy.

• @Jocphone said:
    Hmm, I have Borderlands but never used it for anything serious down to the fact that the timing of the blips can't be synced or adjusted with any kind accuracy.

I think for £6.99 Soundscaper is worth a go, you'll have a few hours fun even if you don't go on to use it seriously in your music - I reckon you'll get a couple of tracks out of it though. I managed a few, you can hear it in the background of this one:

• @Jocphone
    My first soundscape attempt inspired you? I don't think there can't be a higher compliment than that, truly. :) Thanks mate. Yes, a soundscape is meant for a person to maybe listen to at first, but then it fades into the background as you surf the net or just close your eyes or something else non-music related. My process was using the 'sekret randomizing machine' to select a couple of different parameters in Soundscaper (mainly what address circuits are on and off and disrupting or not, and the spatial LFOs). The rest was done by score using a notation system I invented that same day (shown above in my tattered notebook full of coffee and, strangely, pickle juice when I was snacking on pickles during the process).

The inspiration behind this piece was the fact that I'm trying to write a summertime pop dance song, and I don't want my lyrics to be generic "raise your bottles and let's get drunk, score some ladies and gettin all crunk" shite, so I'm stuck on that, and I figured to work my creative muscles upstairs in hopes of unlocking the right words for my aforementioned piece.

And, yes, soundscaper is worth every last penny. :) Even if it has a certain sound to it, there's no problem with that, because Monzo has some wicked great ideas.

@monzo
    Speak of the devil. Awesome compliment. :) I love that, lol, windmills of the mind. Sounds like a great idea for my next soundscape. I'm all ears to any new ideas you have as far as what I could do to shape future soundscapes. Constructive criticism is always a welcome thing. :) I'm trying to find new ideas via google, but nothing doing. All very basic, boring things really, things I've studied in college a long time ago that I'm first becoming interested in.

My original idea was to have four sounds. Three of them in soundscaper and one to improvise on in Nave, but instead I only received three files from Johnny. So, it turned into a collaboration of semi-epic proportions.

I guess Borderlands is my next stop as it were. :D The piece you posted is wicked great.

@richiehoop
    Thanks mate. Greatly appreciated. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic Yup. Get thee to the border.....interested to see what you do there.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    jwmmakerofmusic Yup. Get thee to the border.....interested to see what you do there.

My next soundscape is going to have a little bit of TriqTraq in there, cause I JUST WON ME A COPY!!! :p

• @jwmmakerofmusic Ah, TriqTraq is fun. You'll enjoy yourself...

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    My next soundscape is going to have a little bit of TriqTraq in there, cause I JUST WON ME A COPY!!! :p

That's a great little app, you can make some great rhythms to go with your soundscapes with that one :)

• @monzo thanks, that sounds kinda cool but I'm not sure I have much need for random clouds of sample snippets at the moment. I thought soundscaper was the one that did all the circuit bending emulation stuff, maybe I am getting mixed up with another app.

• @jwmmakerofmusic why wouldn't I be inspired by your first piece? There were several places that caused my ears to prick up and made me think a little differently about some things I am playing with at the moment.

When you are trying to break yourself out of the conventional ways of putting music together it's important to hear how others are doing it.

And thanks for the extra details. I am always excited to hear about other artists creative processes/inspirations, etc..

• @Jocphone said:
    monzo thanks, that sounds kinda cool but I'm not sure I have much need for random clouds of sample snippets at the moment. I thought soundscaper was the one that did all the circuit bending emulation stuff, maybe I am getting mixed up with another app.

No, the sample snippets are from Borderlands. I haven't got a pure Soundscaper track to hand, but the glitchy synth noises running through the whole thing are Soundscaper. I used that as the basis for the track, and overdubbed the Borderlands stuff and extra synth.