Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Interested in this because of the developer's other work....

• edited May 2015

like it, just play with Bias FX acoustics and Arpeggist

• Hmmm. Good idea with Bias. Strng is SO simple compared to the big buggers we have on the table right now, but sometimes that brings you back to just considering the sound and what it is you're trying to make :)

• It looks similar and sounds a lot like the String synth on the Teenage Engineering OP-1 to me. Any direct link between them, or just the inspiration?

In any case, I really like Voice bot, that the developer kindly gave away a while back and this new app sounds good in the video clip I watched.

• edited May 2015

@Vecoto said:

link for video?

Bias FX amplify the Strng signal and Arpeggist hold the key and rhythm for me to adjust the Bias

• Love v-bot. Of course I want to be able to clean up the sound a little more, but a unique app and one I find useful for writing melodies on (which then can be transferred back to the live voice, which also needs cleaning up :).

• Simple and clean! Reminds me Laplace which has too much resonance. This is more of string simulation! bit of guitar, violin, dice and pendulum clock sound, I guess

• Nice enough as mentioned. Getting some replicable crashing when trying to make it work with Auxy, but AB into Bias works fine....

• edited May 2015

Really like this string synth! feeling calm, I just don't use much ping pong delay, headache, and slow down resonance Lfo. And simple string sound come through.

• Nice find. Have been staying away from the App Store lately but this is an instabuy. Instabuy for my own enjoyment and as a patron of Erik's excellent work. I never understand what the fuck is going on in his apps. I do not care—cool things happen.

• when I started the video I could hear a real string quartet and I thought wow, this is amazing. Then I realised I forgot to switch to aux input on my stereo and what I was actually hearing was Kronos quartet on BBC radio 3. Bloody hilarious.

Great soundscapes Erik

• Yeah Kronos are alright, but do they have midi out?

• KQ probably has MIDI out. But not so much with the MIDI In. Whereas it looks like you can control everything in Strng via MIDI in. Strng 1, Kronos 0.

I just had a 10 minute play on my phone. I love it.

• Yeah, it's a nice addition.

• Insta buy. I love V Bot.

To be honest (I found the sound from V bot sounded fine to me? Much better than any other vocoder app I have).

• Love it. So simple. Instantly able to control every aspect of it from one screen and produce some interesting sounds and effects to sample.

Lots of good midi cc implementation too.

It would be nice if it had an on screen pitch wheel. And if it could have a glide setting.

• Yeah. Would like a glide setting, that'd be nice icing. As for V bot, it does sound fine, but would like to be able to tweak out the static if desired. Not complaining any more than normal :) I have a page I'm collecting 'simple apps' I go back to when I find things over-complicated and these two are right there......

• Hey guys, Dev here. I am so happy about all the nice comments. If I am honest it is quite scary releasing things, but the response today has just been truly awesome.

About the crash @JohnnyGoodyear, I had a play with auxy tonight, but I couldn’t reproduce the crash. However, it was sending midi in a slightly different way to what I have seen before, I’ve fixed my code to play nice with that, it’s very possible that caused the crash. I will submit an update today. And I think I have to fix all my other apps now. :)

@Vecoto There is no deliberate similarity with the OP-1 but I am inspired by things around me, and I do like the OP-1. So, strng was probably inspired by it. On the graphics though I think I was more just trying to do a retro feeling 3d grid, more inspired by that time travel scene in the Kung Fury trailer and also games by Jeff Minter, like the amazing txk. And the lfo-filter I think kind of look like those test pictures you used to get on tv.

For the sound algorithm I just got really excited learning about string synthesis and I thought it sounded good.

Cheers

ERik

• Yep I've just upgraded my like to love.
    Very usable sounds this one delivers in a nice looking package.

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 Thanks for pointing that out, didn't realise at first glance they were CC numbers :)

• @humbletune It's definitely an aesthetic that I enjoy too. The app sounds great to me. Good job!

• Nice work, thanks ERik !

Do you ever intend to go 'full Minter' & psychedelicize an app ?
    Am sure I spent too many hours as a child playing 'sheep in space'.

Warning : strobe effects may cause seizures

• @humbletune Hey ERik good to see you 'in person' :) Congrats on the app. And I'm pleased you summoned up the courage to send it out into this harsh, cruel world; glad to have it :)

• @Vecoto Thanks, I really appreciate it. :)

@Paul16 Hehe, I don't know if I will ever go all the way, full Minter. :) I am not as bold with colours. Maybe one day, who knows. Grid runner is another good one.

Cheers

ERik

• Cheers @JohnnyGoodyear, happy you like it. :)

ERik

• Hey Erik, v.nice addition to your app collection....and mine! :) Congrats.

• @humbletune - I love your leftfield UIs...

Nils is just full on mental - that dinosaur thing... still haven't fully worked it out - but i love it.

VBot is beautiful and really, really useful.

Brother and shape synth take a bit of working out but once you get it they're great... (I love the tape player)

And now this - which is wonderful...

I think your UIs are really brave and I like the fact you push boundaries with them... Hope you sell loads!

• I'm with Matt. They encourage exploration.

One thing with the strng UI that's kind of frustrating though: it's hard to change the feedback time and not mistakenly change the delay time which usually introduces glitches.

• I like this synth. The UI screams for aftertouch, so i keep rubbing the keys, thinking it's doing something.