Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The IMPC pro

Comments

• Cool, thanks.

• iMPC Pro needs more export options ( e.g. separate tracks ). That's what I'm waiting for.

• Along with what Tommygun.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    kobamoto excited?

I'm not... What's Akai got to do with all of this? These people are blind running in a desert with i'MPC' "pro"... They'll never come up with realtime pitch shifting and time stretching (16 level tuning)

• Great thx

• It appears that the new Slice Loop feature doesn't allow for those slices to be sequenced or rearranged at all. And if this is really the case then it would be a huge opportunity lost to be able to implement the one holy grail slicing feature that still can't be found on anywhere else including MPC, Maschine or Ableton Live.

Retronyms really missed a huge opportunity to do something really big here. This new "Slice Loop" feature appears to be basically the same thing as the "Patched Phrase" feature found on some MPCs which doesn't let you sequence or otherwise change the order of the slices. It's only purpose is to allow timestretching and pitchshifting a loop without changing its length.

• @shortbus said:

It's only purpose is to allow timestretching and pitchshifting a loop without changing its length.

That as it may be, the capability, for some folks, is hardly small beans.

On a side note, I wonder if the grumbling about the glossy hipster 'commercials/videos' is finally helping the penny drop over there. Interesting their handheld homemade vibe on this piece. Refreshing actually, however cynical the head I live is in colored etc...

• I look forward to the beat slicing feature. Hope they decide to add Audiobus support.

• @Paulinko said:
    I look forward to the beat slicing feature. Hope they decide to add Audiobus support.

The first looks like a decent technical addition, but the second is a less good strategic decision. Let's hope they come around to the opinion at some point that it's in their own interest to get on the bus...

• this is how it must be

• edited April 2015

I installed this when I first got the new Air 2, as I can now use it via IAA. It loaded into Auria nicely but still insists on playing the sequence when I hit the Auria record button. I'd like the option to switch this off and trigger it manually.

I'm looking forward to to playing with this again, so prepare yourselves for another full blown rant at some point. Or maybe it'll be really good on the new thing.

• That's why iMPC Pro needs chromatic keyboard (similar to BeatHawk) and proper 'pianoroll/grid-editor' to tweak the 16-level recorded stuff. The 16-level stuff doesn't cut it for playing melodies and chords...

At least it's nice to see some progress on iMPC Pro...

• Good to see progress, but hopefully they will fix the 'under the hood' issues as well as trying to boost sales with flashy new features. We can always hope I guess.

• edited April 2015

@shortbus said:
    It appears that the new Slice Loop feature doesn't allow for those slices to be sequenced or rearranged at all. And if this is really the case then it would be a huge opportunity lost to be able to implement the one holy grail slicing feature that still can't be found on anywhere else including MPC, Maschine or Ableton Live.

Retronyms really missed a huge opportunity to do something really big here. This new "Slice Loop" feature appears to be basically the same thing as the "Patched Phrase" feature found on some MPCs which doesn't let you sequence or otherwise change the order of the slices. It's only purpose is to allow timestretching and pitchshifting a loop without changing its length.

the impc has the easiest resampling feature on ios, just stretch, then resample and slice that up however you want.

• but yes yes yes to streamlining the process.

• @kobamoto said:
    the impc has the easiest resampling feature on ios, just stretch, then resample and slice that up however you want.

Yeah but if they had let you sequence the slices from the "Slice Loop" feature, you could have slices that timestretch in realtime as you change the tempo. It would be useful if you sequence sliced materials a lot but don't know which bpm you want to stick to, without having to resample and reslice everytime you want to experiment with a different tempo.

• The best thing for me about this new upcoming feature is that you can add swing to any audio loop so it fits into the groove of your track......nice...

• I guess they scrapped this idea though....

• I'm wondering why it takes them nearly a year to come out with an update that includes 1 new minor feature. That should have been released as an enhancement shortly after the paid upgrade was released. Which, BTW, original iMPC owners never received the promised discount.This latest feature hype seems like more smoke and mirrors rather than anything substantial.

• edited April 2015

to be honest I'm surprised that they are even going to enable it for user samples, at first it looked like some bs response to beat hawks sample packs feature..........yuck
    so i at least give them credit for that.

• I'm following with great interest the development of both BeatHawk and iMPC Pro but where is the rumoured BeatMaker 3?

In BeatHawks favour it's pretty fast to work with. I particularly like the chromatic keyboard for baselines and chords, it does however lack proper sample editor and piano-roll/grid editor.

iMPC Pro has a pretty slick sample editor with iTunes Music import and sampling from IAA nodes, but the rest of the app is driving me nuts with bugs here and there, and not to mention the 'file handling'.

I'm looking forward to the next iMPC Pro update...

• Beathawk is great, imho a lot better than iMPC "Pro" and has potential for so much more. If UVI is going to implement a grid editor/timeline this will be my No. 1 beat- and maybe even song-making app.
    Sorry for the praise here but compared to Beathawk the iMPC is really nothing to write home about.

• Once I got my iPad Air 2 BeatHawk started to shine, it was/is simply too sluggish on the 1st gen iPad Mini.

BeatHawk has it's limits (16 samples/project) unless UVI let's us make our own instruments...
    Once BeatHawk gets proper way to create instruments, edit/organise our samples and a useable grid/piano-roll it will be hard to beat.

I guess we're all still waiting for a 'awesome' iOS Sampler that does it all...

• I feel as though iMPC (despite not because of a few things, most notably lack of AB) has its place, but I just can't find where that place is in my workflow.

Beathawk, as noted, is strongest precisely because of its ease of use, it makes collaborating with oneself very quick and easy. For me, a piano roll (ease of correction etc) would be the thing to take it over the top...

• BeatHawk with Grid/Piano-roll would be super nice to make it easy to correct notes that for some reason got recorded in the wrong place :) (And well, add those hard for me to record manually 1/32nd notes).

I have hard time to make tight recordings using iMPC Pro while i nail it almost all the time with BeatHawk....
    (BeatHawk with Sample-Editing capabilities from iMPC Pro would be awesome).

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I feel as though iMPC (despite not because of a few things, most notably lack of AB) has its place, but I just can't find where that place is in my workflow.

To me that place is IAA in Auria.

• edited April 2015

@Peanutcram said:
    To me that place is IAA in Auria.

If they provided an option to disable the autoplay sequence in iMPC Pro I'd use it in Auria, but if you want to record some live pad action (what I'd use it for) it starts playing the song as well.

• @monzo said:
    If they provided an option to disable the autoplay sequence in iMPC Pro I'd use it in Auria, but if you want to record some live pad action (what I'd use it for) it starts playing the song as well.

Yup.