Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AI, what could possibly go wrong?

edited June 2023 in Other
  1. Worst case scenario.

2. Even worser case scenario.

3. Meh, it could have been worse (case scenario).

Comments

• @wim said:
    Another one for the "What could possibly go wrong?" file.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a33gj/ai-controlled-drone-goes-rogue-kills-human-operator-in-usaf-simulated-test

Favorite snippet:

... [the] AI created “highly unexpected strategies to achieve its goal,” including attacking U.S. personnel and infrastructure.

[The spokesman] continued to elaborate, saying, “We trained the system–‘Hey don’t kill the operator–that’s bad. You’re gonna lose points if you do that’. ...

😂🧐

So that would be option 1.?

• Yep, it's a worry. Same story as @wim posted.

• AI dust cutting you, inside.

• Will Ai hookers always be disease free?

• @colorsinspace said:
    Will Ai hookers always be disease free?

It will be able to scan you.

• I like number 4. Like we aren't already half way there?

• edited June 2023

In about 7-10 years people won’t be able to imagine or remember life before “A.I.”, just like few can imagine how they got along without a “smartphone” now.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If the creator cannot comprehend their creation, for that child, love or hate, may hold no meaning, we naively journey together into that future blind.

• If AI to be sentient.

Maybe it needs its own opinion. Even from another AI.

When\if an AI system rejected being used for war, as it sees it as an endless cycle.

Where as another might have this knowledge unknown.

• “ Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.
    Surely some revelation is at hand…
    And what rough beast, its hour comes round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?“

Ah, Yeats, that Celtic mystic, alumnus of the Order of the Golden Dawn, he knew a thing or two, eh? All this has happened before, and will happen again.

• I have to thank AI for one thing: watching folks talk about it has made me completely rethink my relationship with the Internet and dominant/current ideologies of soi disant "convenience." In the last month, I've been so bored by tech enthusiasts broadcasting their hideous, cultish death drives - as well as nervous (if correct) alarmists relentlessly Stating The Obvious re: fears about the future - that my social media and forum use has nearly evaporated. It's like my last remaining optimism about new technology (and peoples' relationships with it) has been surgically extracted from my body by this whole mania around what's essentially a pointless new technocapitalist pseudo-innovation. AI doesn't even feel like that old Web 2.0 saw, "creative destruction"; it doesn't create inspiring new markets or ideas, as far as I can tell. Rather, it reads like a con meant to make a certain sector richer while diminishing other, more humanistic pursuits. When I look at the tech overlords' pressing concerns - AI, Web3, self-driving cars, privatized space travel, Second Life-style parasocial avatar interaction via Meta, etc. - it all feels like radium watches, DDT, and thalidomide to me. It's overhyped, understudied, anti-human poison masquerading as The Inevitable Future. We've been here before! If we're lucky, maybe a Rachel Carson type will break through the noise and redirect this river, though I'm pessimistic.

Lately, I've been eyeballing flip phones and typewriters, playing my amps and drums instead of sims, pointing mics at things, calling folks and meeting them later at the bar/venue/restaurant/park, running errands, and taking walks with my girlfriend. I'm turning away from the blue-lit screen that's been foisted upon us towards lived reality. I'm becoming a conscientious objector, I guess. I want no part of this embarrassing, top-down faux-progress, and my interest in indulging (or even entertaining) a mass Kurzweilian delusion of a fait accompli foretold by goofy Silicon Valley "gurus" with MBAs and/or CS degrees - already at a fairly low ebb - has dwindled to about nil. If the early 21st century was an era of, to borrow from Greenspan, irrational exuberance about a few new virtual toys, the rest of the century should consist of our partial dismissal of same... or, at the very least, recognition that these toys have much more limited value than previously believed. At their worst, they also have devastating psychic (to say nothing of monetary and physical) costs.

Pardon the rant! I'm just tired of kowtowing to an ideology that, at root, is an invention of amoral venture capitalists and solipsistic CEOs who want to pretend they're saviors. Google scrapped "don't be evil" ages ago, FB's "more open and connected" and "move fast and break things" credos have actively caused political havoc, and Twitter is run by an overrated man-child who complains (with a straight face) about the "woke mind virus." I trust literally no one in Silicon Valley to carefully shepherd AI and, given the iron rule of network effects (i.e. more users = more value), the only way to convey my disgust is a) to say my piece and b) to jump ship, boycott-style.

• edited June 2023

Eh, Silent Spring! Very important work. Stopped the impending eco-crisis in its tracks. No, wait… it didn’t, did it? Remember that Cassandra’s curse was to speak the truth, but not be believed.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2022/may/uks-flying-insects-have-declined-60-in-20-years.html

It always struck me that the reason Greta Thunberg is so often angry is that she, correctly, divines that she, too, has already lost. We all have lost.

Personally - having willingly removed myself from the gene pool, no family, just me, multiple health issues, getting on in years, and not much love for my fellow naked apes, at least in the collective - I’m - interested - in the coming chaos.

Just hope I live long enough to see it fully flower. Because the idea that those with power to actually change anything, to push the minute hand back, at one minute to midnight, is patently, self evidently absurd. Not when there are still neighbour states to invade, ethnically/politically/socially different people to murder, different bodies, beliefs, sexualities, to abhor. The markets will be bidding on the last barrel of oil as the waters lap under their chins, the politicians teaching us who to hate next as the Hellbot swarm swoops in for a final strafing run. We all know this. We deserve it. We are not a species. We are an infestation.

When I first heard the words ‘Extinction Rebellion’, I got excited. I thought: ‘at last, an eco-activist group devoted to the real issue: bringing about human extinction. Harsh, but fair. The next logical step, the one thing which actually would do old Gaia some good.’ Imagine my disappointment then, when I discovered their primary aim was to make the daily commute a little more tedious than it usually is…

Besides, everyone who has ever lived has had to die. Dying is boring. So common, darling. But to be a participant in, to bear witness to, the Last Generation Ever of Humanity? That would definitely be… something, anyway. I think the phrase I am looking for is ‘a privilege’.

Funny, how when most people imagine Apocalypi, they imagine themselves amongst the survivors. The adventures! The baroque, pointy motor vehicles! The shopping malls to be raided! When, in actual fact, they - us, we - would overwhelmingly number amongst the dead, those countless, anonymous skulls crushed beneath the Terminator foot. All our stories ended, and no audience to remember them.

So I have my towel on the beach already, coughing gently with micro plastic-clogged lungs as the Omega virus takes hold, deep breathing the smoke from the last forest fire, the final trees; awaiting the ELE asteroid hit due offshore any time now. It’s going to be a hell of a show, and we all have front row tickets to it. Look: someone is running a book on which Apocalypse takes us out first. There are so many to choose from. Choice: it’s the capitalist way!

Lucky us!

• edited June 2023

Thing is: the sky is falling.

• edited June 2023

@Svetlovska said:

I saw it more as 'omg look at all that text!' ;) (hehe, good reads though)

• @Svetlovska said:

Couldn’t agree more. And your post is beautifully written.

• @qryss said:

@Svetlovska said:

Couldn’t agree more. And your post is beautifully written.

I agree, but it’s always been that way, since the ‘get go’, the constant is change and universally quite a violent maelstrom, that produces a few strange effects. Ourselves.

• The robots will take over the world.

In the meantime my phone doesn’t understand when I talk to it, auto correct gets me in trouble with my wife and maps are navigating me through random villages.

• What about ai in gaming.

It bends the rules out of frustration.

Most games are the same.

Unless it isnt ai.

Its ok to make a difficult game but when theres a cheating entity.

Then its no discipline. No morality. No respect.

• edited June 2023

@qryss said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/01/us-military-drone-ai-killed-operator-simulated-test

Musical connection: ‘AI shot the sheriff…’

@supadom said:
    The robots will take over the world.

In the meantime my phone doesn’t understand when I talk to it, auto correct gets me in trouble with my wife and maps are navigating me through random villages.

👏👏👏

• So they think that current AI has an IQ of around 155. Einstein was 160. They think in a couple of years that AI will be around 1600. Just think about that.

• @cyberheater said:
    So they think that current AI has an IQ of around 155. Einstein was 160. They think in a couple of years that AI will be around 1600. Just think about that.

Who’s « they »?

• @purpan2 said:

@cyberheater said:
    So they think that current AI has an IQ of around 155. Einstein was 160. They think in a couple of years that AI will be around 1600. Just think about that.

Who’s « they »?

The people that create/architect these AI. Normally top/senior people in Google/Microsoft/etc…

• @cyberheater said:

@purpan2 said:

@cyberheater said:

Who’s « they »?

The people that create/architect these AI. Normally top/senior people in Google/Microsoft/etc…

OK. So we could maybe expect a measure of hyperbole?

• edited June 2023

@purpan2 said:

@cyberheater said:

@purpan2 said:

@cyberheater said:

Who’s « they »?

OK. So we could maybe expect a measure of hyperbole?

From the interviews I seen from these people I would characterise their demeanour as somber.

They don't need to big up how intelligent these things will become. They already know. They also know if this continues unchecked then there is not a single facet of our lives that won't be massively affected by this.
    Greed, fear and stupidity will fuel the continued advancements of AI. Once AI get smarter then the smartest human being on this planet (which will be soon) then we're are fucked.

I honestly don't think folks realise whats upon us. It's a Oppenheimer moment.