Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPhone to act as a keyboard to iPad using Bluetooth?

Does anyone know of it’s possible to use an iPhone or another iPad as a keyboard to control another iPad or iPhone via Bluetooth? I’m trying to make a very portable mobile setup. Thanks

Comments

• As a MIDI keyboard/controller, right? It is, AUM makes it pretty easy if you already have it. What apps would you like to connect on each end?

• I have AUM. I want to use my IPhone just as a virtual keyboard to control my iPad synths. I don’t want to have to lug round another keyboard and like it separate from my iPad synth. I know most synths have a keyboard already, but some don’t.

• These are the steps to connect with AUM:
    1. On your iPhone, go to MIDI Routing → Bluetooth icon → Peripheral
    2. Enable Advertise MIDI Service. Any name will do.
    3. On your iPad, go to MIDI Routing → Bluetooth icon → Central
    4. You should see the device advertised by your phone. Tap it. It should change from Not Connected to Connected.
    5. On both devices should see now sources and destinations for each other in the MIDI routing matrix.
    6. You can test by connecting AUM's keyboard on your iPhone to the iPad Bluetooth destination and play something on it. The orange indicator for the iPhone Bluetooth source should light up on your iPad.

• Thanks so much :) works !

• Dang that is cool I hope loopy pro can do this.

• @geremy said:
    Dang that is cool I hope loopy pro can do this.

Currently, Loopy doesn't have the u.i. for setting up the advertising part. You can use the free midimittr to do that and then loopy pro can do everything else. I believe that setting up the advertising is something that @Michael is goimg to be adding.

• edited May 2023

@Antos3345 you're welcome!
    @geremy from a quick look, it seems like Loopy Pro can only receive Bluetooth MIDI, not send

Edit: I was wrong

• @Grandbear said:
    @geremy from a quick look, it seems like Loopy Pro can only receive Bluetooth MIDI, not send

No, it can send too. I use it t send between my iPhone and iPad and vice versa.

• edited May 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@Grandbear said:

No, it can send too. I use it t send between my iPhone and iPad and vice versa.

Sorry about that! Can you share how it’s done so others can I use it as a reference?

Edit: I hadn't seen your post above, all clear now

• heshes
    edited May 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@geremy said:

Currently, Loopy doesn't have the u.i. for setting up the advertising part. You can use the free midimittr to do that and then loopy pro can do everything else. I believe that setting up the advertising is something that @Michael is goimg to be adding.

If you have AUM, you really don't need midimittr. Once you create the Bluetooth midi connection in AUM it will persist even after you close AUM. AUM, midimittr, and some other apps just give you the UI to create (and terminate) the Bluetooth midi connection. The connection itself, once established, doesn't require you to keep the app that you created it with open.

So to use Bluetooth midi in Loopy Pro you can (1) open AUM to create the connection, then (2) close AUM, then (3) open Loopy Pro, and the connection will still be there.

• @hes said:

@espiegel123 said:

@geremy said:

If you have AUM, you really don't need midimittr. Once you create the Bluetooth midi connection in AUM it will persist even after you close AUM. AUM, midimittr, and some other apps just give you the UI to create (and terminate) the Bluetooth midi connection. The connection itself, once established, doesn't require you to keep the app that you created it with open.

So to use Bluetooth midi in Loopy Pro you can (1) open AUM to create the connection, then (2) close AUM, then (3) open Loopy Pro, and the connection will still be there.

That will work, too. I suggested midimttr because it is quicker, imo, to use it to advertise than AUM if the only reason one is launching AUM is to advertise Bluetooth.

• One thing I always get mixed up, probably because I’m thinking in terms of physical MIDI, is that even though the connection is asymmetrical (one peripheral, one central), communication is actually bidirectional.