Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

sweet Chordjam update out!

new "Glide" feature between 2 chords

"Chordjam now supports MPE technology to deliver polyphonic portamento/gliding chords which allows you to bend from any chord to any chord, both in real-time chord triggering or using the sequencer’s progression patterns."

Comments

• nice - looks like they added some preset chord patterns too!

• this now works with the mononoke app

• This is magic

• edited May 2023

Is anyone else having problems importing the preset packs for Chordjam? I’ve downloaded and UNZIPped them, but when I try to import the file with “Import Packs” the .cjpack file is greyed out and can’t be imported?

I’ve tried in standalone and AUv3 with same result.

I’m on iOS 16.4.1 with AUM 1.4.4 (build 315)

@Audiomodern Just to let you know about this issue.

• @craftycurate said:
    Is anyone else having problems importing the preset packs for Chordjam? I’ve downloaded and UNZIPped them, but when I try to import the file with “Import Packs” the .cjpack file is greyed out and can’t be imported?

Same here, they’re grey and unactive

• @craftycurate said:

read the included PDF ;)

• @ZankFrappa said:

@craftycurate said:

read the included PDF ;)

edit: oops, that's what you already did B)

• Audiomodern have confirmed there is a problem with importing those packs on iOS currently. It's not possible at the moment but apparently will be fixed very soon.

However (and I have read the manual) I am completely unable to get the polyphonic pitch bend to work, either in Logic or in aum. I used Roli Noise as my destination - everything there is mpe. I tested with velocity keyboard in both hosts as a source - no problem.

So has anyone managed to get the mpe in Chordjam working? If so please try to identify any steps I might be missing.

• @The Krazy Wabbit said:
    this now works with the mononoke app

Oh wow

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:
    So has anyone managed to get the mpe in Chordjam working? If so please try to identify any steps I might be missing.

Just tried it with Animoog in AUM, everything seems fine. Seems like no extra steps required, mpe was enabled in Animoog so I just tapped "bend" in Chordjam and that's all.
    upd. Bleass Omega seems fine too

• @lazyass said:

@Gavinski said:

Just tried it with Animoog in AUM, everything seems fine. Seems like no extra steps required, mpe was enabled in Animoog so I just tapped "bend" in Chordjam and that's all.

Thanks.... I think I was maybe misunderstanding the way they implemented this. On a normal mpe keyboard if you use one finger and slide it from note to note you will get pitch bends. This seems to work a bit more like a legato glide. You need to hold down one key while pressing another. Yes? Hence it will always require more than one finger and cannot be used to do a kind of subtle chord vibrato like a pitch bend control would do, correct?

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:

@lazyass said:

@Gavinski said:

Thanks.... I think I was maybe misunderstanding the way they implemented this. On a normal mpe keyboard if you use one finger and slide it from note to note you will get pitch bends. This seems to work a bit more like a legato glide. You need to hold down one key while pressing another. Yes? Hence it will always require more than one finger and cannot be used to do a kind of subtle chord vibrato like a pitch bend control would do, correct?

Yes I think so … at least that’s the impression I got from the Audiomodern demo video, that the glide only activates if one note is pressed while others are held down, otherwise it just triggers the new note without bend.

• @craftycurate said:

@Gavinski said:

@lazyass said:

@Gavinski said:

Yes I think so … at least that’s the impression I got from the Audiomodern demo video, that the glide only activates if one note is pressed while others are held down, otherwise it just triggers the new note without bend.

This is not mpe then really. And can u do per note aftertouch, cc74 modulation etc? If not, it's not mpe. Will message the devs for clarification, thnx!

• @Gavinski said:

100% correct, it glides somewhat different than usual bending on MPE keyboard

• @Gavinski said:

@craftycurate said:

@Gavinski said:

@lazyass said:

@Gavinski said:

This is not mpe then really. And can u do per note aftertouch, cc74 modulation etc? If not, it's not mpe. Will message the devs for clarification, thnx!

It uses MPE infrastructure (polyphonic Pitchbend), without the control, I would say, a bit like this on desktop:

https://www.pitchinnovations.com/products/fluid-chords/

• @Gavinski said:

@craftycurate said:

@Gavinski said:

@lazyass said:

@Gavinski said:

Yeah it's more of a polyphonic portamento it seems, and not sure how it handles gliding between chords with different numbers of notes.

• Posted just now to the wrong thread so will repost here:

OK, so yes, the mpe implementation makes sense actually and is not just legato glide. From the (very helpful) devs:

It is true MPE yes, you need to enable MPE protocol otherwise you will not have glide chords

With overlapping notes, you get to choose which chords to glide and which not 😉

The good thing about using MPE is that the chord will exactly bend to the following chords notes no matter where they are in keys. If we were using midi bend you would not be able to control where the bend will end separately. All notes would pitch same semitone’s regardless of the scale in use (disaster)

At the moment we have focused only on the polyphonic legato that the MPE provides, so we can glide between chords. vibrato is determined by the synth that is used. Not all MPE synths utilise this and chordjam as a chords progression sequencer does not provide this option by design. However, if we want to borrow functionally from other midi controllers that do that, now that the MPE engine in implemented we can do this and add more controls.

However, our main focus was to glide chords on MPE synths/samplers

• heshes
    edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:
    the dev said:
    ```
    "It is true MPE yes, you need to enable MPE protocol otherwise you will not have glide chords
    . . . At the moment we have focused only on the polyphonic legato that the MPE provides, so we can glide between chords."
    ``

What they did makes sense for what they wanted, but it's not "full MPE", which would allow polyphonic control of (1) pitch bend, (2) pressure, and (3) timbre.

I would say, yes, they are modifying the midi plumbing so Chordjam can give you (limited) polyphonic control over pitch bend to glide chords in a way that's compatible with mpe synths. I think any app that does this is going to claim that it has "MPE functionality". It's up to consumers to be aware that in many (most?) cases the fact that an app claims MPE as a feature doesn't mean it has "full MPE".

• I like how Audiomoren constantly delivers huge updates like this or smart engine in playbeat. Just mpe glide alone seems handy, I heard some praise in hip-hop community about fliud chords which is basically doing the same.

• @Gavinski said:
    Posted just now to the wrong thread so will repost here:

OK, so yes, the mpe implementation makes sense actually and is not just legato glide. From the (very helpful) devs:

It is true MPE yes, you need to enable MPE protocol otherwise you will not have glide chords

With overlapping notes, you get to choose which chords to glide and which not 😉

The good thing about using MPE is that the chord will exactly bend to the following chords notes no matter where they are in keys. If we were using midi bend you would not be able to control where the bend will end separately. All notes would pitch same semitone’s regardless of the scale in use (disaster)

At the moment we have focused only on the polyphonic legato that the MPE provides, so we can glide between chords. vibrato is determined by the synth that is used. Not all MPE synths utilise this and chordjam as a chords progression sequencer does not provide this option by design. However, if we want to borrow functionally from other midi controllers that do that, now that the MPE engine in implemented we can do this and add more controls.

However, our main focus was to glide chords on MPE synths/samplers

Ooo that sounds exciting and definitely will be trying that out! Thanks for doing some digging @Gavinski

• Does anybody know if there’s a way to generate chord progressions with mixed chord types? Or does it always pull chords from what’s selected in the chord types box?

• @hes said:

@Gavinski said:
    the dev said:
    ```
    "It is true MPE yes, you need to enable MPE protocol otherwise you will not have glide chords
    . . . At the moment we have focused only on the polyphonic legato that the MPE provides, so we can glide between chords."
    ``

What they did makes sense for what they wanted, but it's not "full MPE", which would allow polyphonic control of (1) pitch bend, (2) pressure, and (3) timbre.

I would say, yes, they are modifying the midi plumbing so Chordjam can give you (limited) polyphonic control over pitch bend to glide chords in a way that's compatible with mpe synths. I think any app that does this is going to claim that it has "MPE functionality". It's up to consumers to be aware that in many (most?) cases the fact that an app claims MPE as a feature doesn't mean it has "full MPE".

Yeah, hence why I dug in quickly to see if this is a 'full' mpe implementation. It's currently not and maybe can never be due to the fact it is basically dealing with morphing between chords. But as Max from Audiomodern explained in his messages, this implementation of pitch bend, while not strictly fully mpe, perhaps makes more musical sense.

Now the main question is will they actually implement the other 4 dimensions possible with mpe!

Anyway... Yeah... Anyone interested in mpe learns very quickly that you have to do your research thoroughly when a product claims it is mpe. As you say, in most cases, if you are expecting a full implementation you will be disappointed. Then it is up to the user to decide whether they are willing to accept a subpar implementation, I guess. I'm still glad they made this update. It's better to have this feature than not have it 🤷‍♂️

• @ZankFrappa said:

@ZankFrappa said:

@craftycurate said:

read the included PDF ;)

edit: oops, that's what you already did B)

I love your handle: “ZankFrappa” fantastic!!!

• @craftycurate I had encountered the same issue with the the downloaded grayed out Chord packs, but did manage to install them . I believe I just doubleclicked the grayed out file and a couple of seconds later the pack showed up in Chordjam

• @Musicfan said:
    @craftycurate I had encountered the same issue with the the downloaded grayed out Chord packs, but did manage to install them . I believe I just doubleclicked the grayed out file and a couple of seconds later the pack showed up in Chordjam

Interesting... the files are not doubletappable for me. Developer is aware of the issue now anyways. Thanks!