Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A dumb question, perhaps, about Logic Pro as a destination in Audiobus.

Been messing around with GarageBand today, specifically for routing Audiobus instruments into Live Loops to be captured as audio. Logic Pro predictably didn’t appear as a destination so was just curious why that might be, and if it's a non-Apple issue, whether it'd be likely to change.

Any ideas?

Comments

• @el_bo said:
    Been messing around with GarageBand today, specifically for routing Audiobus instruments into Live Loops to be captured as audio. Logic Pro predictably didn’t appear as a destination so was just curious why that might be, and if it's a non-Apple issue, whether it'd be likely to change.

Any ideas?

Logic isn't an IAA app. IAA (inter-application audio) is required for apps to send audio between each other. Apple announced a few years ago that IAA is deprecated (meaning: at some point we will stop supporting, so developers should write their new apps without it).

Apple has not announced a replacement for standalone to standalone communication. Until they do (which isn't certain), new Apple host apps won't be sending or receiving audio from other apps.

• @espiegel123 said:

@el_bo said:

Any ideas?

Logic isn't an IAA app. IAA (inter-application audio) is required for apps to send audio between each other. Apple announced a few years ago that IAA is deprecated (meaning: at some point we will stop supporting, so developers should write their new apps without it).

Apple has not announced a replacement for standalone to standalone communication. Until they do (which isn't certain), new Apple host apps won't be sending or receiving audio from other apps.

Thanks! I knew it was on its last legs, but it’s not ready to die yet.

But I hadn’t realised that GarageBand was itself IAA, and therefore that was the only reason it could be seen by AB.

I also had completely forgotten that IAA apps could be played directly from their touch interfaces, with GB, without AB. Is this the same in Loopy Pro e.g playing Borderlands etc. from the touchscreen? I did search on YouTube, but only found examples of IAA apps being played by MIDI controller.

Cheers!

• @el_bo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@el_bo said:

Any ideas?

But I hadn’t realised that GarageBand was itself IAA, and therefore that was the only reason it could be seen by AB.

I also had completely forgotten that IAA apps could be played directly from their touch interfaces, with GB, without AB. Is this the same in Loopy Pro e.g playing Borderlands etc. from the touchscreen? I did search on YouTube, but only found examples of IAA apps being played by MIDI controller.

Cheers!

I am not sure I understand your question about playing an IAA app from its touch interface? IAA apps are standalone apps, if you make the IAA app the front app (the one you interact with), you interact with it normally. Its being connected to another app doesn't change that. It just means that its audio is sent to the host app. The host app doesn't affect your ability to interact with it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@el_bo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@el_bo said:

Any ideas?

Cheers!

I am not sure I understand your question about playing an IAA app from its touch interface? IAA apps are standalone apps, if you make the IAA app the front app (the one you interact with), you interact with it normally. Its being connected to another app doesn't change that. It just means that its audio is sent to the host app. The host app doesn't affect your ability to interact with it.

Thanks for the clarification. it's been so long since I've interacted with IAA in anything but standalone mode and random jaunts in AUM. For whatever reason, I've been under the illusion that most DAW needed some kind of workaround, but I guess not.

Cheers!

• I didn't realise GarageBand supported IAA - could be a nice workaround for getting sounds into Logic, by starting with a GarageBand project. :)

• @Vip8888 said:
    I didn't realise GarageBand supported IAA - could be a nice workaround for getting sounds into Logic, by starting with a GarageBand project. :)

Perhaps. My current mission is to try and cut Logic out of the picture, entirely ;)

• @Vip8888 said:
    I didn't realise GarageBand supported IAA - could be a nice workaround for getting sounds into Logic, by starting with a GarageBand project. :)

I just figured out an easy workaround using AUM and Loopy Pro. Just load your favorite IAA app of choice into AUM, and record your IAA audio tracks in Loopy Pro AU. Save your project in Loopy Pro, then open the Loopy Pro AU in Logic and there you go… IAA app sounds in Logic Pro.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@Vip8888 said:

I just figured out an easy workaround using AUM and Loopy Pro. Just load your favorite IAA app of choice into AUM, and record your IAA audio tracks in Loopy Pro AU. Save your project in Loopy Pro, then open the Loopy Pro AU in Logic and there you go… IAA app sounds in Logic Pro.

Ah, thanks - even better as I was already recording into Loopy Pro anyway. :)

@Vip8888 said:

Why not just load the IAA apps into Loopy Pro directly? Rather than using AUM + Loopy Pro?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Vip8888 said:

Why not just load the IAA apps into Loopy Pro directly? Rather than using AUM + Loopy Pro?

Oh true! I had an existing AUM project with a few IAA apps (Lumbeats, Shoom, etc) that I was recording donuts in, but yes, Loopy Pro, AUM, or even Cubasis projects could all be brought over to Logic Pro, as long as it’s AUv3 or audio, right?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Vip8888 said:

I was just realizing why I was doing the former, and not just recording directly in Loopy Pro.

For some reason, and it’s probably just me, but I can’t get any projects or recordings that I have in Loopy Pro Standalone to show up in the AU, and the AU is what I want to carry into Logic Pro.

Am I missing the obvious trick here? Loopy Pro standalone recordings/projects in the AU version?

@espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Vip8888 said:

I was just realizing why I was doing the former, and not just recording directly in Loopy Pro.

For some reason, and it’s probably just me, but I can’t get any projects or recordings that I have in Loopy Pro Standalone to show up in the AU, and the AU is what I want to carry into Logic Pro.

Am I missing the obvious trick here? Loopy Pro standalone recordings/projects in the AU version?

In the project browser panel, there is a pseudo-folder where AU projects are accessed called “audio unit Extension Folder”. Move projects there that you want the AU to see.

More on this wiki page:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=loopy_pro

• @espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Vip8888 said:

In the project browser panel, there is a pseudo-folder where AU projects are accessed called “audio unit Extension Folder”. Move projects there that you want the AU to see.

More on this wiki page:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=loopy_pro

Thanks, I’ll take a look.