Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Track 2: The Unexpected Guest

Rough mix of the second track from my Sci-Fi concept album. Vocal sessions still a ways off, so it's just the music for now. Apps used: Gadget, Jam-Up Pro, Alchemy, Audiobus and Auria. Any and all feedback welcome!

Comments

• Liking this a lot, it's full of chugging energy with a topping of sci-fi. As you say it's a rough mix, which shows in the relative levels of the instruments and lack of low end (not sure about the drum sound especially the kick), so it would be nice to hear it mixed well. But having said that, nice work and I still like it.

• Agree on the drums. On a track like this they need power, and to me they sound kind of wimpy. I really like the track though - I'm a big fan of the genre.

• edited March 2015

This is the sound I have been looking for. It's great. I feel totally in harmony with your approach. As a drummer, I appreciate that your drums are interesting and original and full of life. Damn, awesome energy and balanced well with complexity, although a little more "out there" wouldn't be unwelcomed". The guitar sounds great. I would love to be in a band that played this style. Which brings up the question. What really is this style? The Soundcloud genre nazi system says, "heavy". It's not. Not really. Just driving, but bouncing and partying all the way.

• The applause kills me every time. Listened to it 3 times now.

Oh, thought of an idea for the guitar effects. Is there a way for you to add an effect like the old vibrato on the amps, but make it really hard gated? Like the Transformers sound. Unfortunately, I think most guitar tremolo effects are sine only. Although my old Digitech 2101 can do different wave types.

• @pangolin and @coloobar thank you for your feedback! Yeah, definitely a capital R on the Rough mix ... This was all done with a cheap pair of AKG 44s. Hopefully lows and mids will be suitably addressed in the final mix when I break out my monitors and punch up the drums and bottom. But it's good to hear that's an area for improvement :)

• Some of that lo-fi is actually part of the character of it. and it's not as rough as you think.

• @Martygras said:
    This is the sound I have been looking for. It's great. I feel totally in harmony with your approach. As a drummer, I appreciate that your drums are interesting and original and full of life. Damn, awesome energy and balanced well with complexity, although a little more "out there" wouldn't be unwelcomed". The guitar sounds great. I would love to be in a band that played this style. Which brings up the question. What really is this style? The Soundcloud genre nazi system says, "heavy". It's not. Not really. Just driving, but bouncing and partying all the way.

Thank you so much ... Any time you fail to alienate a bonafide drummer with sequenced drums, that's gotta be a win :) so pleased you enjoy the vibe, I myself have been looking for something like this for a year, no dice. As for genre, since I'm trying to balance heaviness with danceability, I consider it HDM. SoundCloud doesn't seem to think that exists yet. Thanks again, your enthusiasm for this track is infectious. Back, Permagrin, before the kids see!

Hmmm. I could use a drummer. How far are you from Indiana? ;)

• @Martygras said:
    The applause kills me every time. Listened to it 3 times now.

Hopefully the applause will sit in better context once the Vox are laid down.

Oh, thought of an idea for the guitar effects. Is there a way for you to add an effect like the old vibrato on the amps, but make it really hard gated? Like the Transformers sound. Unfortunately, I think most guitar tremolo effects are sine only. Although my old Digitech 2101 can do different wave types.

I'm sure between Saturn and Timeless, there's a way. Definitely some old school vibrato in the next track if you care to check in next Wednesday!

• edited March 2015

@eustressor Catwalk soundtrack for over-sized androids who are surprisingly light on their feet.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Catwalk soundtrack for over-sized androids who are surprisingly light on their feet.

It's like you read my mind :)

• Excellent, lively, genre-defying track. Looking forward to the final mix! :)

• Thank you for listening and sharing your feedback @AlterEgo_UK! I'm hoping to start vocals in a few months, if not sooner. Time to give my monitors a proper workout :)

• Just saw Forbidden Planet again. Great visual and sound effects for the era. Still stand up to todays effects. Oh, and Leslie Nielson. What more could you ask for?

• The dialogue was pretty subversive for the time as well:

Altaira: Where have you been? I've beamed and beamed.
    Robby: Sorry, miss. I was giving myself an oil-job.

:)