Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Export MIDI?

Has anyone found MIDI export in this app? By track, region, or whole projects?

Comments

• edited May 2023

Export to LP in Mac.

• Not quite what I’m looking for. Specifically trying to get a workflow going between Logic and Dorico to help replace the score editor. Thinking about things like MIDI import/export/record or Live Link, tempo syncing, etc. Was hoping to maybe start a basic track in Logic, export MIDI to Dorico to write some melodies, then export back to Logic.

• Apparently it is not possible at this time. My requirements are quite similar to yours. It is possible they just didn’t get to that feature, which would be a bit odd given that MIDI is the lingua franca of a large portion of music software, or maybe they simply want to upsell people to Logic desktop + hardware to run it on and also have you pay the Logic subscription on iOS. Makes business sense. Like FL Studio being an upsell to be able to create DirectWave instruments for use in the mobile app FLSM. To be fair to Image-Line you don’t also pay a monthly fee to use FLSM.

Apple might (quite reasonably, to be fair) have the view that most folk making music in their bedroom don’t care about this thing called MIDI and could be why they did not bother with the functionality.

I hope they do add MIDI export and a decent touch version of the score editor at some point, which might enable you to remove Dorico from your workflow.

I did write a MIDI extraction script for GarageBand a few years ago that would run on the iPad. I expect it would not be too much work for someone to get it working with Logic projects unless they have locked down the file format.

• Damn, that is a bummer! Wondering if there’s some clever routing I can do with MIDI Tape Recorder or something of the sort. Haven’t looked too much into the MIDI routing options, it does seem a bit crazy to omit MIDI export…

• edited May 2023

@skdeish said:
    Damn, that is a bummer! Wondering if there’s some clever routing I can do with MIDI Tape Recorder or something of the sort. Haven’t looked too much into the MIDI routing options, it does seem a bit crazy to omit MIDI export…

It is a strange one to omit. Bit of a stretched comparison but imagine Microsoft released a new version of mobile Word with most of the features of the desktop but didn’t let you copy the text you created to the system clipboard and only let you export a rendered image of the text.

I don’t have Logic installed now so cannot confirm myself, but in theory if Logic lets you capture the output of the piano roll into another MIDI app then you could record it into, e.g. Atom 2, or MIDI Tape Recorder, or Helium etc There are also a few apps which let you route MIDI out of the host, so instead of recording it you may be able to use one of these to transfer the MIDI elsewhere. This was a workaround hack needed with GarageBand. Potentially not a great idea for scoring though as you typically want everything aligned when using in a score editor and recording to another app introduces the possibility of messing with note alignment which would look wonky on a musical staff.

• Learned a new term, lingua franca, thanks @MisplacedDevelopment

• What about LK, atom 2, or helium, record the midi, then save it. Is that possible? I can’t download it so don’t know.

• Just tried out MIDI Tape Recorder, looks like that will be a good enough workaround if native exporting doesn’t happen.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    What about LK, atom 2, or helium, record the midi, then save it. Is that possible? I can’t download it so don’t know.

FYI, Atom 2 doesn’t show up in Logic Pro for iPad…
    Pity that the developer of Atom has giving up the iPad scene, so we will probably never be seeing Atom 2 in Logic…

• @skdeish said:
    Just tried out MIDI Tape Recorder, looks like that will be a good enough workaround if native exporting doesn’t happen.

Great tip!!!
    Works great to export MIDI this way…

Also, MIDI Tape Recorder is free!

• @OnfraySin said:
    Export to LP in Mac.

Not sure if it was meant a serious answer (and nothing wrong if it was), but I personally don't like the idea of having to pay for a subscription while also being "locked in"

Of course this might just mean Logic Pro isn't for me, but that kind of limitation is something I would accept in GarageBand which is free and can be a gateway to Logic on desktop.

In my opinion Apple is going to collect user feedback and check if they can push users towards buying a Mac with Logic on desktop if they want to export to MIDI / move from tablet to desktop.

This would basically mean that if the subscription price increases, and you're not happy with it, you'll have to also buy Logic on desktop.

Of course the hope is that this just didn't make the initial release and it will be added soon, but my recommendation would be to ask Apple explicitly by mentioning it in Apple Store reviews and getting in touch with them.

• edited May 2023

@ErrkaPetti said:

@skdeish said:
    Just tried out MIDI Tape Recorder, looks like that will be a good enough workaround if native exporting doesn’t happen.

Great tip!!!
    Works great to export MIDI this way…

Also, MIDI Tape Recorder is free!

I tied it but couldn't find a way of recording CC automation? Thanks

Edit: my bad, it actually also record MIDI CC automation 🎉

Edit 2: Helium also works

• Sorry newbie on this - but really need midi export of leads so I can do some emvoice work in a VST capable PC DAW

So if I;ve got a project which has a lead track, I’ve also got helium, what are the steps to enable this capture into helium. Thanks again.

• Think I’ve worked it out, just add helium as a midi fx on a track, sync it with record in helium , and press play in logic ?

• @matdun25848834 said:
    Think I’ve worked it out, just add helium as a midi fx on a track, sync it with record in helium , and press play in logic ?

That's how I did it, yeah. Easier if you also disable loop region on Logic's transport

• @vdk_john said:

@matdun25848834 said:
    Think I’ve worked it out, just add helium as a midi fx on a track, sync it with record in helium , and press play in logic ?

That's how I did it, yeah. Easier if you also disable loop region on Logic's transport

great. thanks for confirming. That was my one showstopper on moving to Logic - so now I can get on and create :)

• @matdun25848834 said:

great. thanks for confirming. That was my one showstopper on moving to Logic - so now I can get on and create :)

Same for me. However if you have some time please do request MIDI export to apple directly, otherwise I'm afraid they won't implement it just to push people towards the desktop version / buying apple hardware 😅

That said, I can't see them limiting MIDI FX going forward either, so I would assume this workaround should keep working

• @vdk_john said:

@matdun25848834 said:

Same for me. However if you have some time please do request MIDI export to apple directly, otherwise I'm afraid they won't implement it just to push people towards the desktop version / buying apple hardware 😅

That said, I can't see them limiting MIDI FX going forward either, so I would assume this workaround should keep working

yes, definitely - I wasn't surprised they left this feature out - someone in the design team must have said "but why would they want to move their music creation outside of our beautiful garden!?"

• Arrgh this is so stupid.

One of my main reasons to use Logic, is to limit all my thousand “workarounds” in IOS.

I really need easy midi export: Transfer patterns to several external hardware sequencers.