Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Suggestions for apps for generative music

Now… let’s use AUM (obviously) as center hub … what untraditional sequencers and other midi data generators for generative ever evolving music do we do have ? I don’t have overview in this area so any suggestion is welcome

what i found is just this:

• rozetta cells, collider, particles
  • cykle
  • polybeat

what else ?

Comments

• Strokes is great for this kind of thing

• edited May 2023

@dendy said:
    Now… let’s use AUM (obviously) as center hub … what untraditional sequencers and other midi data generators for generative ever evolving music do we do have ? I don’t have overview in this area so any suggestion is welcome

what i found is just this:

• rozetta cells, collider, particles
    • cykle
    • polybeat

what else ?

polyphase is in my top 5 ios apps. i've nagged the dev for years to make it M4L.

• Not quite clear what 'untraditional' and how fully 'generative' you need things, but these come to mind:

• audiomodern riffer and chordjam
    • pagefall cality and ioniarics
    • senode
    • piano motifs
    • fugue machine
    • polyphase
    • various Cem Olcay '...bud' apps
  • In addition to ones mentioned. Mirack for modular sequencing, anything can be a sequencer. Drambo for probabilistic sequencing which can be generative.

• Lots of cool stuff for Mozaic on Patchstorage

• @CracklePot said:
    Lots of cool stuff for Mozaic on Patchstorage

plus one for mozaic, I use turning machine a lot

• edited May 2023

These are pretty cool when you use Infinity mode. It’ll generate a new sequence every n bars if enabled.

Riffer - The Creative MIDI Sequencer Can generate a new sequence every 1-32 bars

Playbeat - Next Generation Groove Engine Can generate a new sequence every 1-64 bars

• Thanks for tips to all, really a lot of interesting stuff to explore …

• Drambo. With midi modules and mighty seq with various random events you can get unlimited power for generative art.

• A resounding +1 for MiRack in this area.

Either on its own, or using the multiple audio and MIDI ins and outs to control/process other apps (or hardware, for that matter).

You can get it to produce note sequences, but also to modulate and control mixes and sounds so the whole thing can be constantly shifting about.

The BPM LFO is fantastic as you can set it to odd clock divisions/multiples, so a bunch of them set to different settings can make stuff shift about/phase but not repeat.

Stick the multiple in/out version in an FX node in AUM, and then you can use AUM and the extra connections to effectively treat all your AUv3s as extra modules.

• edited May 2023

If you want generative audio rather than generative MIDI, you can cut out the middleman. Record a few loops of anything into File Players in AUM, (maybe crash-edited in AudioShare) mess with speeds and beat offsets, hook up Gauss or Fluss or Enso or MolliLooper, stack FX and ‘interrupters’ like Gatelab and Perforator, use midiLFOs to mute and unmute channels, or mess with volumes, duplicate, rinse and repeat - you’ll end up with constantly evolving soundscapes with nary a MIDI generator in sight (except midiLFOs on AUM automation duties.)

• I really like sqsl Temp - standalone only and no ableton link, only sends midi clock. As you often work with hardware you might be OK with that. Big fan of this one. Latch is interesting also, by the same dev, but I prefer Temp

• Often find myself reaching for Zoa and Ooda. Mozaic is essential as an add on to gate midi, humanise etc. 4pockets progressions is excellent for generating outside the box chord progressions, which I then often feed through other midi apps, arps etc. Ioniarics is cool though the UI could be better

• Gotta give some love for wotja

• NodeBeat
    Egoist
    almost any delay plugin
    @cem_olcay apps

LK has a random note function
    @SevenSystems Xequencer has generative creation

• Yeah Wotja is good. You can go deep (which I haven't) or just let it create stuff that almost always sounds good. Cem apps definitely up there, I guess stepbud and arpbud are my faves, tho I'm not a fan of the UI / UX for various reasons

• Mela 3 or 4 midi modules are very useful for knocking something together

• edited May 2023

miRack is pretty cool sugestion.. i am using it a lot but more like just very simple FX or synth patches as AUv3 plugins.. literally 2 max 3 modules connected and used as standalone FX or Synth.. but this is actually pretty smart idea to use it also as MIDI events generator .. thanks for kicking me in !

Edit:
    Just checked seqencing / midi events generating modules list in miRack. Ok guys, see you year from now, enough material for exploring for many months :-D :-D

• edited May 2023

Piano motifs
    Riffler
    Riffer
    Playbeat
    Autony
    Cality
    Ionarics
    Bud apps - most of them ShiftBud, SnakeBud, etc…some have more generative features than others.

Zoa
    Ooda
    Mozaic
    Chordjam
    Helium - allows you to take midi notes and randomize
    Xequence 2 - polyhymna built in generative feature
    Xynthsizer is IAA only but has a generative game of life feature.
    LK also has some generative abilities

• Octachron which is geared towards drums can also set a scale and generate plus mutate

• Thesys
    Physicles

• Lots of 4Pockets apps can easily generate something, With the random feature.
    Digikeys
    Strummer
    Digistix 2
    Euclidean
    Progressions
    Etc…

• Mute master

• Quantum & Euclidean

• @ecou said:
    Mute master

Still need to get this one. I’ve had my interest in it renewed lately.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Piano motifs
    Riffler
    Riffer
    Playbeat
    Autony
    Cality
    Ionarics
    Bud apps - most of them ShiftBud, SnakeBud, etc…some have more generative features than others.

Zoa
    Ooda
    Mozaic
    Chordjam
    Helium - allows you to take midi notes and randomize
    Xequence 2 - polyhymna built in generative feature
    Xynthsizer is IAA only but has a generative game of life feature.
    LK also has some generative abilities

I’ve never seen the random feature in LK 😮

• @Gavinski said:
    I really like sqsl Temp - standalone only and no ableton link, only sends midi clock. As you often work with hardware you might be OK with that. Big fan of this one. Latch is interesting also, by the same dev, but I prefer Temp

Have you tried the 3rd one they’ve released? I really wanna snatch one or two of these up some day soon.

• @HotStrange said:

@ecou said:
    Mute master

Still need to get this one. I’ve had my interest in it renewed lately.

It's very useful for randomizing what elements play. You can also sequence the order.

I wish it had a couple more tack support. It as only 8.